Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: Vatanen gone as well

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
If the Oilers get 2 better defenseman than Bogo this summer then Chia instantly deserves GM of the year award.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
If the Oilers get 2 better defenseman then Bogo this summer then Chia instantly deserves GM of the year award.

Do you consider Demers better than Bogo?

We aren't a high scoring team so can not afford to give up too much up from to land two separate D. I think we likely need to sign a FA AKA Demers as long as we do not need to give a NMC to get him.

Then one trade or offer sheet RNH for Barrie, OS Barrie/Trouba/Jones/etc, Eberle for Vatanen

We then have a D for the PP and both D can move the puck so hopefully can hit our forwards in stride which is huge to catching team in transition with our forwards.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Seeing Bob Mackenzie say on a radio show that he expects more UFA trades happening this weekend makes me think Chiarelli might try to snag Demers or Campbell with a pick to try to save face before the draft so he can at least say "I got 1 Top 4 Dman. Get off my back"

Campbell would be fantastic. If we could sign him for 2 years with no NMC we could even expose him at the expansion draft

With Chiarelli's willingness to threaten boston about a Dougie Hamilton offer sheet supposedly and this summers new deferral of compensation in the case of an offer sheet by the NHLPA I think we could see one.

The D market is potentially drying up I still believe Barrie is somewhat available for the right offer.

These are the RFA RH D who can be offer sheeted:

Barrie
Ristolainen
Trouba
Jones
Vatanen

Stone

Heavy lean towards the first 5 as options.

For LH D who would greatly improve us there is just Lindholm

Lindholm and Jones are the only D that we should consider offersheeting. If we're going to go that route we need to chase an up and coming 1D.

Barrie, Trouba, and Vatanen should be trade options.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If the Oilers get 2 better defenseman than Bogo this summer then Chia instantly deserves GM of the year award.

Well we already have two defencemen better than Bogo, so...

Cap space is not infinite. 5.1 is a sizeable chunk and you know that Bogo will only play 3/4 of the games.

Bogo is a #4 on a good team. That's not a guy we should give up a good asset to get.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
No worries. I would be very concerned if a bunch of those assets were gone, and the only Blueline improvements were Bogo and Demers.

I think there is a lot of panic moves people want to make to try and ensure the D is fixed but we have to realize we can't give up too many of our forwards to do it otherwise we are just going to be scrambling to trade for forwards then.

I know people hate offer sheets and worry about teams trying it on us but that just means we need smart cap management so no overpayment of bottom six forwards and bottom pairing D.

North

Jun 25, 2009

It wouldn't be hard. If they are Davidson level, they are better than Bogo.

I'm not sure why you think he is anything special.

He's literally not better than Klefbom, Sekera, or Davidson.

He's on Nurse's level and Nurse was a raw rookie.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Lindholm and Jones are the only D that we should consider offersheeting. If we're going to go that route we need to chase an up and coming 1D.

Barrie, Trouba, and Vatanen should be trade options.

Campbell's agent said he is looking for a 1yr deal for $$$$$ from a legitimate contender so it is unlikely.

I agree Lindholm and Jones are the only options for sure. With Jones being a prime candidate for it with the Jackets cap woes.

I think you could sort of ransom the Jackets for

Hartnell+Jones for RNH+32

This clears a NMC for them and salary so they can protect some of there good players. They wouldn't like it but they get their centre and are being held under the gun of an offer sheet while no one wants to help them.

How long does a team have to respond to an offer sheet?

1 week I believe. So ideally if there are no trades to make and we are set on Demers we acquire him for a pick ASAP and can sign him before the draft so we can be certain on money before the offer sheet.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Well we already have two defencemen better than Bogo, so...

Cap space is not infinite. 5.1 is a sizeable chunk and you know that Bogo will only play 3/4 of the games.

Bogo is a #4 on a good team. That's not a guy we should give up a good asset to get.

Demers is going to get the same amount of money if not more, and he has missed quite a few games himself the last couple of years. I don't consider moving down 4 spots to be a significant asset because you still have 8th overall that you can parlay into another d-man.

McDavid Gilmour

Jun 7, 2016
E-Town
No, Carolina has 3 guys with about 1 year of NHL experience each on their roster. Then they have Michal Jordan (plug), Wisniewski (Injured, 1 year left on deal) and Hainsey (35 years old, 1 year left on deal). They absolutely cannot afford to move Faulk. That would be insane. It's like if Oilers go into next year with Nurse, Reinhart, Davidson as 3 of their top4 d-men. Just because you have some promising players doesn't mean you move your #1D, the rarest commodity in the entire NHL. Why is this so hard to understand?

The Oilers are in a very similar situation with centers. Yet many people would be willing to move RNH. It comes from the understanding that in order to improve you have to be willing to deal from a position of strength. It would seem reasonable to me that in order to improve their offence the Hurricanes would be willing to part with their #1D as they have someone younger and better (Hanifin) taking over that position. Just as we would be willing to let go our #1C in RNH because we have someone younger and better (McDavid) to put in that role.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Based on ethics I wouldn't offer sheet a player. Relationship management could be a lot more valuable in the future than a dman that could get a major injury or health problem.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would you guys do 2 years, 4.5 million for Campbell?

He'll be 37 next year, but he's still a hell of a defenceman. Played 22:30 a night for the Panthers last season. Legitimate PPQB.

Hasn't missed a game in 5 years.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The Oilers are in a very similar situation with centers. Yet many people would be willing to move RNH. It comes from the understanding that in order to improve you have to be willing to deal from a position of strength. It would seem reasonable to me that in order to improve their offence the Hurricanes would be willing to part with their #1D as they have someone younger and better (Hanifin) taking over that position. Just as we would be willing to let go our #1C in RNH because we have someone younger and better (McDavid) to put in that role.

I don't consider moving RNH a very bright idea either. But if that happens at least we have McDavid (GENERATIONAL PLAYER) and Draisaitl (looked very good this year even against Kopitar, Toews etc). Also forward is way easier to play than D.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Campbell's agent said he is looking for a 1yr deal for $$$$$ from a legitimate contender so it is unlikely.

I agree Lindholm and Jones are the only options for sure. With Jones being a prime candidate for it with the Jackets cap woes.

I think you could sort of ransom the Jackets for

Hartnell+Jones for RNH+32

This clears a NMC for them and salary so they can protect some of there good players. They wouldn't like it but they get their centre and are being held under the gun of an offer sheet while no one wants to help them.

1 week I believe. So ideally if there are no trades to make and we are set on Demers we acquire him for a pick ASAP and can sign him before the draft so we can be certain on money before the offer sheet.

or the same thing happens with Jones that happened with Hamilton...you threaten the jackets with an offer sheet and they trade Jones to someone else

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
What better ... Luke Schenn @ 3Mx3yrs while giving up nothing or Bogosian at his salary and a major asset going the other way?

Macblender

May 5, 2014
or the same thing happens with Jones that happened with Hamilton...you threaten the jackets with an offer sheet and they trade Jones to someone else

Maybe or they trade him to you and it was worth it. How likely do you think it is that they trade a guy they just acquired for anything this is just something to try and get them to if not you can just offer sheet .

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Ahti Oksanen signed with the Hartford Wolf Pack.

Just throwing that out there as a few posters suggested him as a signing in the past.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

On the surface that makes sense, but the problem is 2 fold. 1) Same one Oiler fans are lamenting, it has to do with handedness. You remove Faulk from the lineup and the RD options are Pesce (1 year experience, good young player but really more of a #4D), Wisniewski (coming off major knee surgery and only under contract 1 year), and Ryan Murphy (Gulp).

2) IMO, Hanifin is years away from being "better than Faulk". He's promising, but was pretty sheltered this year. In fact, Faulk, Slavin and Pesce all received much tougher assignments and performed better than Hanifin this year (as they should as they are 3 years+ older than Noah).

Not that TT is on the same level as RNH (he isn't), but the move to acquire him lessens the urgency for Carolina to trade a D, a thing Francis does not want to do. He's mentioned a number of times he does not want to part with his young D. In fact, Francis even commented on that after the trade.

“In a lot of your conversations when you’re trying to find a good, young forward, everybody wants a good, young defenseman back,†said Hurricanes Executive Vice President and General Manager Ron Francis. “The beauty of this deal is we’re able to do it and not take away from our back-end we have right now.â€

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Oilers need atleast one if not 2 top 6 forwards.. There is nothing wrong with a Hall-Nuge-Draisaitl trio especially considering how Drai's production faltered down the stretch.
I would rather have Draisaitl playing RW than Eberle if I had to choose between the 2.

Draisaitl's flexibility makes RNH and Eberle equally redundant.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
What better ... Luke Schenn @ 3Mx3yrs while giving up nothing or Bogosian at his salary and a major asset going the other way?

I think I'd rather take a kick to the junk with a pair of steeltoed boots than let Luke Schenn near the Oilers.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Seeing Bob Mackenzie say on a radio show that he expects more UFA trades happening this weekend makes me think Chiarelli might try to snag Demers or Campbell with a pick to try to save face before the draft so he can at least say "I got 1 Top 4 Dman. Get off my back"

The last time the Oilers traded for a pending UFA to "save face", Nikitin was signing a 2 year contract from hell...

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Based on ethics I wouldn't offer sheet a player. Relationship management could be a lot more valuable in the future than a dman that could get a major injury or health problem.

This is not a thing. Have the Oiler had problems trading with the Ducks or Sabres since we sent out offersheets that summer?

If the Oilers can get a young 1D by offersheet they absolutely have to do it. 7.5M for 7y for Jones or Lindholm. Have to overpay for the team to not immediately match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad