Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: Vatanen gone as well

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I don't think the NHL is in any position to expand past the NBA and MLB. Then again this is Gary Bettman we're talking about so Canada is probably more likely to lose another team.

This league gets crushed by the NBA (which itself is a distant third to the MLB and NFL in terms of popularity) and Bettman thinks it can push past it. The arrogance on that man is larger than Canada itself.

Whether it's smart of the NHL to expand or not is totally not what I was commenting on. The NHL IS expanding to Las Vegas and there IS going to be work that a GM needs to do to properly manage their team for the expansion draft. To suggest that an NHL GM should just hand wave the reality of an expansion draft away because the team sucks sounds like an extremely poor idea.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Yup I am happy too. That'd be a MacT move TBH.

Thanks I suck at embedding tweets. I am glad to see we aren't making trades for the sake of making trades at least. I feel Chia is firm on what he wants and isn't going to budge. That might be why we got such a steal with maroon. It is playing with fire on the chance he doesn't get something done but it is betteryne then throwing players and assets away for junk. Nice to hear some news though

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
10 years out of the playoffs. The time for patience has long past. If the team doesn't make any significant headway in the standings this year...

Well, there's always next year! And the year after that!

Anyone can check out at anytime. It's frustrating, but it really doesn't have to be, if you think about.

Like if you don't like, say Fish, you don't have to eat it.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Did you forget where the Oilers finished last year? How many teams in the NHL are approaching the record for missed playoff years? How many years have the Oilers been rebuilding?

Maybe I'm alone on this but I found last year's finish completely unacceptable. Just imagine if we didn't hold off Toronto for last place.

This team has many, many problems. I said as much halfway through the season that the team would finish in the bottom 5 and push for last place.

There's nobody in the NHL that can relate to the Oilers. Yes teams need shakeups but most teams are fine with mild progression. That simply won't do for a team that hasn't seen a playoff game since before Twitter was invented.

And really? We're worried about the expansion draft? Protect McDavid. Maybe Hall. Not that tough of a choice.

Teams like the Oilers should not have untouchables unless they are generational talents.

No I didn't forget where we finished last year. And what if we let Toronto pass us in the Standings? We would be sitting with a better pick.

Your desire for moves is purely emotional. There is no place for that in business.

I get the negativity around here. But you don't sell the farm to make the playoffs simply because you missed the last decade. That is emotional. You have to look forward.

We have McDavid. I get the doubts in everyones minds right now, but he is a player that if you build around the RIGHT way, you win a cup or cups.

I would miss the playoffs next year and win cups soon, than to sacrifice those cups just to make the playoffs because you feel your pride is gone.

That said, this is supposed to be the busiest summer we have seen in a long time and we are actually dealing from a position of strength.

I'm looking forward to it.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
NHLPA complained about that rule so the draft pick compensation can be deferred to a later year if the team wants to offer sheet a player. The PA obviously wants more offer sheets.

I wonder how far you can defer it? The Oilers 2nd rounder next year is already gone as it's locked in to go to Boston for the Chiarelli compensation (which we wouldn't have had to pay IMO if the Oilers hadn't been so quick to agree to compensating Boston, prior to the NHL amending the rule).

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Thanks I suck at embedding tweets. I am glad to see we aren't making trades for the sake of making trades at least. I feel Chia is firm on what he wants and isn't going to budge. That might be why we got such a steal with maroon. It is playing with fire on the chance he doesn't get something done but it is betteryne then throwing players and assets away for junk. Nice to hear some news though

Here's a quick Tutorial on tweet embedding:

1. Look for the Tweet you want to embed, then click the 3 dots symbol and Click "Copy Link To Tweet"

2. Copy the link (CTRL + C) and Paste (CTRL + V) in the reply message on HFBoards.

3. Once copied, it should look something like this (without the . in the HTTPS part):

h.ttps://twitter.com/Bob_Stauffer/status/743823759694389248

4. Next Delete everything EXCEPT for the long ass number at the end of it, so it should look like this:

5. Highlight it then click the Twitter Symbol above and it should look like this (Except without the _):

[TWEET_]743823759694389248[/TWEET_]

and your done! :thumbu:

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Here's a quick Tutorial on tweet embedding:

1. Look for the Tweet you want to embed, then click the 3 dots symbol and Click "Copy Link To Tweet"

2. Copy the link (CTRL + C) and Paste (CTRL + V) in the reply message on HFBoards.

3. Once copied, it should look something like this:

.https://twitter.com/Bob_Stauffer/status/743823759694389248

4. Next Delete everything EXCEPT for the long ass number at the end of it, so it should look like this:

5. Highlight it then click the Twitter Symbol above and it should look like this (Except without the _):

[TWEET_]743823759694389248[/TWEET_]

and your done! :thumbu:

Thanks

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No I didn't forget where we finished last year. And what if we let Toronto pass us in the Standings? We would be sitting with a better pick.

Your desire for moves is purely emotional. There is no place for that in business.

I get the negativity around here. But you don't sell the farm to make the playoffs simply because you missed the last decade. That is emotional. You have to look forward.

We have McDavid. I get the doubts in everyones minds right now, but he is a player that if you build around the RIGHT way, you win a cup or cups.

I would miss the playoffs next year and win cups soon, than to sacrifice those cups just to make the playoffs because you feel your pride is gone.

That said, this is supposed to be the busiest summer we have seen in a long time and we are actually dealing from a position of strength.

I'm looking forward to it.

This team had McDavid for at least half the season and still finished one point up on last. I trust Chiarelli to make the right moves but if this team is largely the same come TC this club will not escape the bottom 5 of the NHL. Who are they better than? Maybe Vancouver?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No. No. No. I have to keep saying it. This is so very wrong!

Why are we in a position of weakness? Because we have a need for defense?

But I guess teams who need high end forwards arent in a position of weakness?

Teams up against the cap arent in a position of weakness?

Teams facing tough expansion draft choices arent in a position of weakness?

Other teams who need a major shakeup arent in a position of weakness?

This mindset is completly wrong and comes from the ridiculous opinions from HF main boards.

The Oilers need defense a whole lot more than most teams need high priced forwards especially ones that need to be expansion protected.

The Oilers ARE bargaining from a position of weakness. Every team knows how utterly desperate the Oilers are for Dmen, teams within their division (namely Anaheim) will probably be reluctant to hand over one of the key missing pieces to their McDavid led division rival and the market for Dmen is scarce, getting more scarce by the day if the rumors are to be believed.

The one thing working in the Oilers favor is the modest increase in the cap next season so perhaps they can feed off of a team in a cap crunch, I just don't see who that team is. Columbus perhaps? It's too bad that Chicago doesn't have any enticing Dmen who are realistically available because they'd be a good target Anaheim is going to be tough to deal with because of the division rival thing.

Chia might start to realize how tough it is to get good Dmen like MacT and Tambellini before him. Just look at the Reinhart deal for example. That was the best they could get apparently for two pretty valuable assets.
I do have a feeling (maybe wishful thinking) that he's targeting a Dman that none of us are talking about, shooting for a homerun and that Hall might be the bait especially if they sign Lucic. So we wait....

North

Jun 25, 2009
10 years out of the playoffs. The time for patience has long past. If the team doesn't make any significant headway in the standings this year...

That doesn't mean you do things that will set your team back even more.

Also, it doesn't mean because Tyson Barrie is no longer available that the Oilers are going to Oil and give away players out of desperation as is being suggested.

Chiarelli made one trade misstep last year and it was his first one. The Reinhart trade. After that he made some pretty shrewd moves.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
I sure hope you guys are actually Read into what I'm saying, it will provide more clarity.

Nobody? Haha

I'd be happy with having him.. there are bits of chatter about the Oilers and Flyers and I'd be happy if he is someone coming back

Or perhaps his was just an autocorrect mistake with reading coming out as Read.. Damn. . Thought I was being all clever and ****

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Also, it doesn't mean because Tyson Barrie is no longer available that the Oilers are going to Oil and give away players out of desperation as is being suggested.

Chiarelli made one trade misstep last year and it was his first one. The Reinhart trade. After that he made some pretty shrewd moves.

And the team was still awful. Time for some big decisions. If we lose Taylor Hall and gain a top 2 defender I'm perfectly fine with that.

When a team has failed as it has for the past 5 years why are we worried about going backwards? You can't get much worse than 29th overall. Although I guess 31st overall is a new horizon.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
This team had McDavid for at least half the season and still finished one point up on last. I trust Chiarelli to make the right moves but if this team is largely the same come TC this club will not escape the bottom 5 of the NHL. Who are they better than? Maybe Vancouver?

Pittsburgh had Crosby for his full rookie season and finished 29th. I'm glad our management team has more patience and understanding than the consensus around here

I'm with you all the way on this. I don't think we are going to get our point across sadly. People will just have to wait and see.

As for Barrie, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy we get is someone we didnt know was available. Most GM's dont leak information. Most rumours come from media speculation about who is available. So yeah some people around here need to calm down. Haha

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010

there's also 29 other teams...soon to be 30 :sarcasm:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
And the team was still awful. Time for some big decisions. If we lose Taylor Hall and gain a top 2 defender I'm perfectly fine with that.

When a team has failed as it has for the past 5 years why are we worried about going backwards? You can't get much worse than 29th overall. Although I guess 31st overall is a new horizon.

Oh it can be worse.

How soon we forget how utterly toxic this board was, back when MacTavish was still GM and McDavid was an 11.5% pipe dream.

THAT was a team that seemed to be in a collapsed mine with no hope of escape. At least now we can see a glimmer of sunlight. ;)

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oh it can be worse.

How soon we forget how utterly toxic this board was, back when MacTavish was still GM and McDavid was an 11.5% pipe dream.

THAT was a team that seemed to be in a collapsed mine with no hope of escape. At least now we can see a glimmer of sunlight. ;)

That largely depends on what happens this year. The mulligan year is done. Time to push forward and if it means sans Eberle and Hall then so be it.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
That's nothing. We wrote last season off last year in April when MacT said the next year was a 'developmental' year. This board was full of hate then. It's like MacT was the Supreme Emperor of the Galactic Empire just letting the hate flow through us :laugh:

Then came Luke Skywalker (McDavid) to save the day :laugh:

I remeber that! I was absoltutly floored when I heard that then threw the remote :laugh:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Well, the only teams with less than 200 goals for last year other than the Oilers were Buffalo, Vancouver, Toronto, Carolina and New Jersey.

Any of them want to do us a favor?

Why can't they just give us Faulk?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I think we are going to acquire Faulk and it's going to cost us RNH + 4OA.

This will make us a way better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad