Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: Vatanen gone as well

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Holy **** :facepalm: Didn't Datsyuk basically retire already? Why is this news?

I wonder if the Oilers, in their desperation, will move #32 to Detroit hoping to get Datsyuk (trying to convince him to still play) and the rights to Quincey (trying to get him to sign, because defenseman)

Datsyuk is returning to Russia for personal reasons. There exists no option to convince him to play in a North American market. If there was, I imagine he would stay in Detroit for the final year of his contract.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013

I wonder if the Oilers, in their desperation, will move #32 to Detroit hoping to get Datsyuk (trying to convince him to still play) and the rights to Quincey (trying to get him to sign, because defenseman)

If we could absorb his salary it would probably be a worthwhile deal not because of the chance to convince Datsyuk to stay but because of the other valuable asset they will need to include to get that contract off the books.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Why are you making up these utterly pointless trade ideas?

Datsyuk is going to the KHL. Full stop.

Quincey is barely a bottom pairing d man.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If we could absorb his salary it would probably be a worthwhile deal not because of the chance to convince Datsyuk to stay but because of the other valuable asset they will need to include to get that contract off the books.

He has a $7m cap hit.

I wouldn't take that contract if it came with their 1st for the next three years.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
This is it. The Oilers don't have the benefits the other teams have. We're dealing from a position of weakness, it's going to happen.

No. No. No. I have to keep saying it. This is so very wrong!

Why are we in a position of weakness? Because we have a need for defense?

But I guess teams who need high end forwards arent in a position of weakness?

Teams up against the cap arent in a position of weakness?

Teams facing tough expansion draft choices arent in a position of weakness?

Other teams who need a major shakeup arent in a position of weakness?

This mindset is completly wrong and comes from the ridiculous opinions from HF main boards.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
yup, after some team's anger at not making the playoffs or early playoff exits subsides, i see that some teams are predictably recanting the idea of trading their good d-men. no Hamonic, Barrie, LD Goligoski's negotiation rights were just traded, Shattenkirk will likely go East if he hits the UFA market....getting a good d-man is a bit harder for the Oilers and i hope they don't drag their feet because there appears to be interest in Vatanen from teams like the Laffs.

North

Jun 25, 2009

This mindset is completly wrong and comes from the ridiculous opinions from HF main boards.

Apparently the Oilers are the only team with a glaring weakness and must make awful trades or reaches with their 4th overall in order to do something that doesn't actually currently address their weakness in a substantial way.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Apparently the Oilers are the only team with a glaring weakness and must make awful trades or reaches with their 4th overall in order to do something that doesn't actually currently address their weakness in a substantial way.

Bad team=Bad players, so because of that desperation and lack of value rule the day.

If you don't put yourself in this situation, you get value. Pretty simple stuff.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Bad team=Bad players, so because of that desperation and lack of value rule the day.

If you don't put yourself in this situation, you get value. Pretty simple stuff.

So we must trade with other bad teams to get their less valued players and then find a way to to build the chemistry needed between our players, which would result in more winning and increase the player's value.

I suggest re-hiring Eakins.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Did you forget where the Oilers finished last year? How many teams in the NHL are approaching the record for missed playoff years? How many years have the Oilers been rebuilding?

Maybe I'm alone on this but I found last year's finish completely unacceptable. Just imagine if we didn't hold off Toronto for last place.

This team has many, many problems. I said as much halfway through the season that the team would finish in the bottom 5 and push for last place.

There's nobody in the NHL that can relate to the Oilers. Yes teams need shakeups but most teams are fine with mild progression. That simply won't do for a team that hasn't seen a playoff game since before Twitter was invented.

And really? We're worried about the expansion draft? Protect McDavid. Maybe Hall. Not that tough of a choice.

Teams like the Oilers should not have untouchables unless they are generational talents.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Did you forget where the Oilers finished last year? How many teams in the NHL are approaching the record for missed playoff years? How many years have the Oilers been rebuilding?

Maybe I'm alone on this but I found last year's finish completely unacceptable. Just imagine if we didn't hold off Toronto for last place.

This team has many, many problems. I said as much halfway through the season that the team would finish in the bottom 5 and push for last place.

There's nobody in the NHL that can relate to the Oilers. Yes teams need shakeups but most teams are fine with mild progression. That simply won't do for a team that hasn't seen a playoff game since before Twitter was invented.

And really? We're worried about the expansion draft? Protect McDavid. Maybe Hall. Not that tough of a choice.

Teams like the Oilers should not have untouchables unless they are generational talents.

A good GM should be worried about all aspects of managing a team. Even the team in dead last needs to think ahead and plan. To do otherwise is negligence.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So we must trade with other bad teams to get their less valued players and then find a way to to build the chemistry needed between our players, which would result in more winning and increase the player's value.

Shattenkirk must be dying to play with us.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I kinda love the anticipation and the build-up leading into this week.

Chiarelli is doing it right, keeping things airtight with very few leaks-especially as we near the draft. I realize Ovechking's posts have been few and far between as of late. Either his inside source has been silenced or he's not sharing info due to a gag order.

I still have faith Chiarelli has something major up his sleeve that nobody seen coming.
I'm a believer in "past behaviour predicts future behaviour" so going off of Chiarelli' trade history while employed with the Bruins, he dealt the most with Anaheim (6 trades), then Minny, NYI, STL and Chicago (5 trades each), followed by T-Bay, CBJ and the Avs (4 trades each). I think he makes a trade or two (maybe three) next weekend with two of the aforementioned teams-interestingly enough all these teams have something the Oilers need. I do think he stands pat until next Friday.

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Peter_Chiarelli/284

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A good GM should be worried about all aspects of managing a team. Even the team in dead last needs to think ahead and plan. To do otherwise is negligence.

I don't think the NHL is in any position to expand past the NBA and MLB. Then again this is Gary Bettman we're talking about so Canada is probably more likely to lose another team.

This league gets crushed by the NBA (which itself is a distant third to the MLB and NFL in terms of popularity) and Bettman thinks it can push past it. The arrogance on that man is larger than Canada itself.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That would be monumental if Chiarelli walks into the expansion draft protecting only two players, one of which isn't even eligible.

"Sir, you can protect up to 10 skaters."

"No, I'm not protecting any of 'em because my team sucks."

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
Would you write off an entire year for 3 mid-first round picks?

We don't have the available cap space to be eating money on someone who isn't even playing.

I would do that trade if I was a team like Carolina or Arizona that is able to take on the salary. For some reason we are a cap team every year and finish at the bottom of the standings. Red Wings aren't a powerhouse anymore. It could be top 10 pick.

We're not going anywhere next year anyway. If we did make that deal by moving out some of our own high priced talent and took on the contract we'd be loving it for the next few years.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I don't know if their are badder teams then the Oilers, the Leafs' are a special case and Buffalo is successful rebuilding, so value doesn't work thre.

Re-hiring Eakins is silly, he won't help. The team just needs to get super lucky and hope that luck can build success to provide value. Really simple when you think about it.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That would be monumental if Chiarelli walks into the expansion draft protecting only two players, one of which isn't even eligible.

"Sir, you can protect up to 10 skaters."

"No, I'm not protecting any of 'em because my team sucks."

Not true, they would protect McDavid (if they had to) and Talbot because it's hard to find a Starting goalie.

North

Jun 25, 2009

You're just throwing stuff out to fit your narrative and none of the stuff your throwing out fixes anything.

In fact it makes things worse.

I think I'm just going to ignore your posts from now on.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You're just throwing stuff out to fit your narrative and none of the stuff your throwing out fixes anything.

In fact it makes things worse.

I think I'm just going to ignore your posts from now on.

10 years out of the playoffs. The time for patience has long past. If the team doesn't make any significant headway in the standings this year...

Well, there's always next year! And the year after that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad