Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: Vatanen gone as well

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
The problem in this scenario is that Jones has to actually want out of Columbus and sign the offer sheet. The odds of a team having all the pieces and money plus being a team he wants to go to AND the CBJ not matching are highly unlikely. I doubt he wants to leave a good young team which he has already been given the top spot and has good chemistry with a partner for the unknown. It's not happening.

I dunno guys, Columbus is a hot destination after all..

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think Barrie could be an OS target, if the Avs are willing to take him to arbitration then its likely you could OS him to a long term deal they wouldn't be willing to match. The price paid for Seth Jones makes it nearly impossible for them not to match.

If the Avs are willing to go through arbitration, you can't offer-sheet him.

Draisaitl + 4th OVR for Jones + 3rd OVR?

Forwards: Dubinsky(NM), Foligno(NM), Clarkson(NM), Hartnell(NM), Saad, Jenner, Atkinson, Calvert, Wennberg, Rychel

Defense: Tyutin(NM), Murray, Savard, Johnson, Jones

These guys are in trouble with the expansion draft. Unless they move some bodies, they are going to lose a very good player.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Almost all RFAs sign an offer sheet if given one.

Vanek signed his here so did Penner, the Sabres just matched on Vanek.

Jones would sign. Chance to play with McDavid and his kid brother who's in our system in the long run, and a massive pay day.

I mean we're not the NHL's no.1 destination for sure, but we're no longer Siberia either, Caggiula the NCAA's top available forward signed here when he could've chosen anywhere else.

Priorities of young players are different and they often don't have a wifey that's a thorn in the side to signing here.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'd rather just keep Vatanen. Hamonic doesn't provide any offense, and what the Oilers need most are puck moving dmen.
Hamonic provides more offense at 5v5 than Vatanen does. Vatanen shines on the PP. But when it comes to even strength production, Hamonic wins out.

Almost all RFAs sign an offer sheet if given one.

Vanek signed his here so did Penner, the Sabres just matched on Vanek.

No. It's just that you only here about offer sheets that players sign. A team can send out a million offer sheets but if a player doesn't agree to it, we'd never hear about it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hamonic provides more offense at 5v5 than Vatanen does. Vatanen shines on the PP. But when it comes to even strength production, Hamonic wins out.

No. It's just that you only here about offer sheets that players sign. A team can send out a million offer sheets but if a player doesn't agree to it, we'd never hear about it.

I feel pretty confident Jones would sign.

That kinda stuff I'm not worried about. It's Columbus possibly matching it that would be the issue.

Personally I think the number of offer sheets that are turned down by the player are pretty damn small. They have to be absolutely in love with the situation they're in, how much can Seth Jones really be attached to with Columbus, he played a whopping 41 games for them and Tortorella is a hard ass.

I bet dollars to donughts every agent is jumping up and down when their client, especially a young one gets a big fat, juicy offer sheet.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I feel pretty confident Jones would sign.

That kinda stuff I'm not worried about. It's Columbus possibly matching it that would be the issue.

Personally I think the number of offer sheets that are turned down by the player are pretty damn small. They have to be absolutely in love with the situation they're in, how much can Seth Jones really be attached to with Columbus, he played a whopping 41 games for them and Tortorella is a hard ass.

Just speculation on my part, but I imagine what tends to happen is the player gets an offer sheet and their agent uses it as a means for negotiation with their current team.

If you can get a similar contract without signing the offer sheet it makes sense to do that.

Unless you want to leave of course.

I think the only time players sign offer sheets is when the offer is far and above what their current team is offering. Most of the time I imagine valuation of players between teams isn't that far off.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We most need it on the PP, though.

Do we?

The Oilers ranked higher on the PP than in 5v5 goals for. And more important than either is preventing goals at 5v5 where the Oilers were the worst team in the league. Hamonic would go a lot further at helping that than Vatanen.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Do we?

The Oilers ranked higher on the PP than in 5v5 goals for. And more important than either is preventing goals at 5v5 where the Oilers were the worst team in the league. Hamonic would go a lot further at helping that than Vatanen.

Yes, they do.

While the Oilers are better 5v4 than they are 5v5, we should be near or at the top of the entire league 5v4 and aren't. We arguably have no player on the team, forward or defense, who belongs on the first unit PP playing the point. It's a serious weakness that keeps what should be the teams greatest strength from being much of a strength at all.

While the Oilers aren't exactly flush in ES point getters either, at least we have Andrej Sekera and Oscar Klefbom, who are at least reasonable in that regard.

I mean, ideally we'd be adding both a Vatanen and Hamonic but I don't really know how that happens.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
If they throw their Goal Cannon in I'm down. That way we can send MacTavish off in grand fashion when his contract runs out in a few weeks.:sarcasm:

That is the best idea I have read on HF in a long time. "Cmon down to Rogers place, where we have a cannon in the stands instead of on the blueline." Seriously though that cannon is the most interesting thing about the Blue Jackets.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yes, they do.

While the Oilers are better 5v4 than they are 5v5, we should be near or at the top of the entire league 5v4 and aren't. We arguably have no player on the team, forward or defense, who belongs on the first unit PP playing the point. It's a serious weakness that keeps what should be the teams greatest strength from being much of a strength at all.

While the Oilers aren't exactly flush in ES point getters either, at least we have Andrej Sekera and Oscar Klefbom, who are at least reasonable in that regard.

I mean, ideally we'd be adding both a Vatanen and Hamonic but I don't really know how that happens.

You can win games having a mediocre powerplay (which the Oilers have). You can't win games being the worst 5v5 team in the league (which the Oilers are). Doesn't matter how good your power play is.

I agree with you though that ideally we have both. And that I also can't see how it happens.

But if we have to choose between a stud ES d-man or a stud PP d-man it would be foolish to pick the PP guy. In all honesty I don't even think the PP is a personnel problem. It's a poor system for the players we have.

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
You could front load to really make it hard

8.75/8/7/7/6/6/6 = 7 per cap hit, but Columbus would be paying probably beyond the salary cap in actually salary for a couple of years ... don't think they want anything to do with that.

I give them the choice of either matching that offer sheet or taking Nugent Hopkins straight across.

It's ****ing ruthless, but maybe it's time for that approach.

Doesn't Edmonton have to provide a first, second and third round pick for an offer sheet AAV of $7,000,000? I thought we owed Boston that 2nd rounder from the Chiarelli deal. Did something change?

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
None of the teams are going to help Edmonton with a solid established dman unless they really overpay. Oilers will likely end up with a guy from the UFA crop or gamble on a lesser known dude.

Draisaitl + 4th OVR for Jones + 3rd OVR?

Dream world lol

Yet Dubois is still ranked higher.

I don't have to wait until the draft to know that advocating for the Oilers to draft for need rather than BPA is counter to what good organizations do.

Oilers could've had Murray instead of Yakupov if they drafted by need.

Last edited by a moderator:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Oilers could've had Murray instead of Yakupov if they drafted by need.

NAy, they would have drafted Murray if they had listened to their scouts rank of BPA. Position had nothing to do with it. They truly felt Murray was the BPA and they said so. Need didnt enter into it...

I dont know what happened at that draft. Did they get shy about going off the board? about the risk of going away from CSS? Were they scared of possible fall out from fans to pick a lesser hyped player?
They shopped that pick alot to try to go down one spot and still get assurances Murray would be available. CLB liked Murray too but Yak was the poster boy that could help them sell seats and was scoutings unanimous choice. They didnt want to spend an asset and the Oil ended up having to deal with the pressure of making the pick at 1. i guess they caved to the hype pressure. I dont see what was the pressure...you pay the scouts for a reason...take him.

Out of all our #1 picks...that was the most heavily shopped. That was also the draft where you saw Tambi not trying to scramble and get another top pick right after

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Doesn't Edmonton have to provide a first, second and third round pick for an offer sheet AAV of $7,000,000? I thought we owed Boston that 2nd rounder from the Chiarelli deal. Did something change?

NHLPA complained about that rule so the draft pick compensation can be deferred to a later year if the team wants to offer sheet a player. The PA obviously wants more offer sheets.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
NAy, they would have drafted Murray if they had listened to their scouts rank of BPA. Position had nothing to do with it. They truly felt Murray was the BPA and they said so.

It's kinda hard to say now. Virtually every scouting service I recall from that year had Yakupov no.1 with a bullet. The only reason Murray was even remotely discussed as no.1 was because we got the no.1 pick and we had taken two forwards with previous no.1s.

If Montreal or Columbus won the lottery they'd have taken Yakupov, I have zero doubt.

He was supposed to be like a mini-Ovechkin and he honestly did play a lot like that in junior.

If we had Murray we'd still suck, all it would've changed would probably be a couple of points in the standings at best -- enough for us probably to not have McDavid, but it's not like we'd be contenders with Murray.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
It's kinda hard to say now. Virtually every scouting service I recall from that year had Yakupov no.1 with a bullet. The only reason Murray was even remotely discussed as no.1 was because we got the no.1 pick and we had taken two forwards with previous no.1s.

If Montreal or Columbus won the lottery they'd have taken Yakupov, I have zero doubt.

He was supposed to be like a mini-Ovechkin and he honestly did play a lot like that in junior.

If we had Murray we'd still suck, all it would've changed would probably be a couple of points in the standings at best -- enough for us probably to not have McDavid, but it's not like we'd be contenders with Murray.

Everything I read said the Blue Jackets preferred Murray between the two and that's not just post-draft crap that is put up where teams pretend they got exactly the player they wanted, but in discussions well in advance and well after the draft. Given that our own scouts preferred Murray to Yakupov, it doesn't seem all that hard to believe. The Islanders offered every pick in that draft year with the purpose of picking Murray makes me think they were also really high on him.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
None of the teams are going to help Edmonton with a solid established dman unless they really overpay. Oilers will likely end up with a guy from the UFA crop or gamble on a lesser known dude.

Nope. Nope. Just stop. We wont really have to overpay. Teams need our help as much as we need theirs.

We need dmen yes.

We have lots of high end forwards. Many teams dont and they need some.

We have cap space. Many teams dont and they need some.

We are in a great expansion draft position. Many teams arent and they need help there.

We need a shakeup. Reports out there suggest many other teams need the same thing.

People need to stop acting like we are the only team desperate to make changes

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Maybe we can get some news about something today... anything please God anything before I go crazy. Hate the quite timesure. Here's to hope that it is the question before the storm

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Maybe we can get some news about something today... anything please God anything before I go crazy. Hate the quite timesure. Here's to hope that it is the question before the storm

It's going to be a long summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad