Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
What did you miss? By them taking Campbell they don't retain on Karlsson amd that evens out the money. Some people need to read before responding jibberish

Edmudson of course 😂😂😂🤣😂
They're not going to take Campbell. They will need to stock the shelves of their team going into deep rebuild. You do that by selling off your elite assets. If Oil don't belly up with quality picks and prospects, this goes no-where and San Jose holds an auction this off-season.

I also highly doubt the Oilers give up on their big off-season goaltending signing five months into his signing. Sounds like a power video game move though. Try it on the X-Box.

Reactions: The Bored Man

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
So they don't have to retain money for 4.5 years. At least with Campbell they can trade him in a year or 2 or buy him out . It is a better option then retaining 4 million on Karlsson for 4.5 years.
Yep. We would probably have to take Reimer or Khakkonen back though.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
For “a Luke Schenn” i mean like a player who doesn’t move the needle.

Any d that are rumoured to be available and also “move the needle” seem to have a sizeable cap hit and term attached. The team can’t even field a full roster and it’s been stated that even Arizona isn’t interested in taking back much cap and / or retaining for the cheapest “difference maker”. It will be prohibitively costly to pay to get any of those D to fit.

Meanwhile, a guy like Kane makes little real dollars left so to get a third team to retain on him would be much easier.

I don’t like it either but I see the “big” addition as a forward and the D being a cheaper guy.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
They're not going to take Campbell. They will need to stock the shelves of their team going into deep rebuild. You do that by selling off your elite assets. If Oil don't belly up with quality picks and prospects, this goes no-where and San Jose holds an auction this off-season.

I also highly doubt the Oilers give up on their big off-season goaltending signing five months into his signing. Sounds like a power video game move though. Try it on the X-Box.
The big signing has been shit and not as advertised. What, he is just going to turn it around next year?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The big signing has been shit and not as advertised. What, he is just going to turn it around next year?
So San Jose is willingly going to take $20 million salary and a late 1st round pick and 2nd for an elite defenseman who might top this season in historic ground at 100 points? No deep rebuild does that move to give away its super elite trade asset.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Can't doubt your sources with people that know him. Will say context wise a couple years back he was on a much better team than the Oilers which won a Cup and looked like it might be a sustaining threat to chase more. Now the Blues look to be a team that's exited their winning window, and facing down either a re-tool around mid-20's forwards or a deeper rebuild.

It is an older defense corp so makes sense for the Blues looking to move out one of them. With a no-trade clause Parayko will drive his decision to play out his career in St. Louis or move on. Fit wise, his hometown Oil would be excellent and he would stabilize Nurse's game, imo, and lead a team now fully emerging into its winning window.
Are you trying to say San Jose is willing to retain 50% of Karlsson cap hit(5.75M) but they're not willing to take Campbell (5.5M) to even out the $$? You do realize once San Jose retain any of Karlsson cap, it's a dead cap. They cannot use it. Campbell can still recover his game down the road and be moved for assets.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Good point maybe it’s not as many as ai thought then. Just guys like Ennis Lupul and Scrivens came to mind right away.
I didn't hear any criticism about Ennis. Was great value for a late pick. Lupul was unfortunately a cornerstone as part of an epic Hall of Fame player going the other way. He never really hit on his early Anaheim success but for sure got caught in the crossfire moved for Pronger. Scrivens was an okay player but goaltending has been a graveyard for this team, especially during the Decade of Darkness. I like his work on Oiler post-game that I've seen.

Can thrive or get buried in hot Canadian markets. Requires a certain personality type to block out a lot of attention including corrosive noise.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Are you trying to say San Jose is willing to retain 50% of Karlsson cap hit(5.75M) but they're not willing to take Campbell (5.5M) to even out the $$? You do realize once San Jose retain any of Karlsson cap, it's a dead cap. They cannot use it. Campbell can still recover his game down the road and be moved for assets.
San Jose is going to focus on real, legitimate return to build a foundation for its overdue rebuild. Without question, that is the business plan their rookie GM pitched to get the job.

It's going to require quality draft picks and/or players for Karlsson. That's how it works with rebuild organizations. Their owner's net worth is $8 billion. They can absorb playing out a productive Karlsson's salary if it can't net out strong draft or NHL player collateral in return. Taking on an expensive goaltender project with term, makes zero sense when your priority is to rebuild with young, inexpensive talent.

Even in Arizona, we hear speculation that Chychrun isn't moving because that team doesn't want to take on an alleged bad contract as part of trading its best rebuild asset. That's Arizona who have made an industry taking on bad contracts for picks.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I didn't hear any criticism about Ennis. Was great value for a late pick. Lupul was unfortunately a cornerstone as part of an epic Hall of Fame player going the other way. He never really hit on his early Anaheim success but for sure got caught in the crossfire moved for Pronger. Scrivens was an okay player but goaltending has been a graveyard for this team, especially during the Decade of Darkness. I like his work on Oiler post-game that I've seen.

Can thrive or get buried in hot Canadian markets. Requires a certain personality type to block out a lot of attention including corrosive noise.

People were good with Ennis when he first got here but after he was re signed the following year there was quite a few haters.

• Wow
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Watch Gavrikov play a solid part in the Bruins deep run this year, and people trying to justify why it's a waste of assets for the Oilers to go after the same player.

Everyone always yells about needing to upgrade, but then when names get floated it's the same old "if we're giving up those assets we should be aiming much higher". It's always best available players on the market or bust for a lot of folks it seems. Then we all watch the aforementioned players play well for their new teams and the same people can't figure out why the Oilers never seem to be able to make any good moves.

f*** the picks. f*** them all.

Reactions: JarvisFunk

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Watch Gavrikov play a solid part in the Bruins deep run this year, and people trying to justify why it's a waste of assets for the Oilers to go after the same player.

Everyone always yells about needing to upgrade, but then when names get floated it's the same old "if we're giving up those assets we should be aiming much higher". It's always best available players on the market or bust for a lot of folks it seems.

If the Oilers had the Bruins record, I could see a pure rental in Gavrikov being more of a consensus among fans

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Everyone always yells about needing to upgrade, but then when names get floated it's the same old "if we're giving up those assets we should be aiming much higher". It's always best available players on the market or bust for a lot of folks it seems.
UFA and not re-signing in Canada is an easy pass for me. Bruins are well built, need a minor finishing piece and can afford to give up the high picks. Oil have multiple NHL roster needs and a so so prospect pool so explore other options - whether D; bottom six forward; secondary scoring.

Gavrikov's a nice player. A game changer for the rental? Don't think so and Edmonton has a lot of areas where it can improve its roster.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Yep. We would probably have to take Reimer or Khakkonen back though.

Khakkonen likely the better of the two options. Two seasons of a Khakkonen - Skinner tandem. Money in means potentially Yamamoto or Foegele with a little retention from San Jose on Karlsson to make the money work, but nothing more than 15%.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Any d that are rumoured to be available and also “move the needle” seem to have a sizeable cap hit and term attached. The team can’t even field a full roster and it’s been stated that even Arizona isn’t interested in taking back much cap and / or retaining for the cheapest “difference maker”. It will be prohibitively costly to pay to get any of those D to fit.

Meanwhile, a guy like Kane makes little real dollars left so to get a third team to retain on him would be much easier.

I don’t like it either but I see the “big” addition as a forward and the D being a cheaper guy.

JP swap out for Kane double retained. Holland calls it a day lol

Reactions: Oilhawks

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I think you need to give him a chance with a proper goalie coach. If Kenny is going to be stubborn and keep Schwartz- than Campbell has to go

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I'm willing to bet he re-signs after their run this year.

Maybe if they can find the room. The rumour is he isn’t interested in signing in Canada so unfortunately it’s not quite apples to apples in that case. At least they were able to re-up Kulak and Kane who weee both expected to be rentals

JP swap out for Kane double retained. Holland calls it a day lol

Honestly, if they can do that and get a reasonably cheap LD for insurance, I wouldn’t mind it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad