Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's like the Oilers only have two modes. They either try to outscore their problems and forget about defence (high event hockey) or look lost out there trying to learn defence (low event hockey).

They can't play low event hockey, so that basically only leaves the other option.

Reactions: McDoused

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
If we could sell off a couple players and add Meier or Karlsson I would be all for it, you bet.
Oh absolutely I agree but what players are we willing to sell off?

Nuge is having the best season of his career
Hyman see above
Leon not a chance
McDavid see above.
Barrie maybe
Bouchard probably a mistake
Nurse no one is taking that contract and we are better with him than without him.

That leaves
Yams good luck
PJ see above
Campbell not very likely
Foegle possibly

Reactions: K1984

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The 6 HDSC is 5 vs 5. And the heat map showing where shots were taken pretty much agrees with this. As I said this data is highly scrutinized and is almost 100% (say 99.999999999972%) going to be more accurate then your memory or mine.
Several other factors exist though and You'd know more about how its tabulated but for instance in same game if Hyman is whacking puck into pads 3 times in succession is that 3 chances or one?

Does a puck have to hit the net to be a HDSC.

Some sites kind of give some detail but often hard to find.

My own take is the parameters have to be very closely defined but then even with that the parameters can exclude. Hockey is incredbily complex, not baseball, and much harder to quantify. I can't really have that convo today and we've done it before anyway.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Hyman see above
Leon not a chance
McDavid see above.
Barrie maybe
Nurse no one is taking that contract and we are better with him than without him.

That leaves
Yams good luck
PJ see above
Campbell not very likely
Foegle possibly

All of your "that leaves" group is tradable depending on picks/situational stuff. If they waived Puljujarvi he'd likely get claimed by someone like Arizona for free.

Holland just doesn't want to do it because he thinks he's playing 4D Chess. I think his planned sales pitch at the deadline will be "yeah but we don't need to give you another 1st! Jesse Puljujarvi is as good as a 1st rounder! He was taken 4th overall!".

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Hyman see above
Leon not a chance
McDavid see above.
Barrie maybe

That leaves
Yams good luck
PJ see above
Campbell not very likely
Foegle possibly
Barrie, Yamo, JP, Foegele. I'd trade Ceci in the offseason, I think Vinny D can replace most of what he brings but I'd want him a bit more seasoned before moving two RD.

Campbell's probably going to have to be bought out unless he REALLY shines down the stretch/in the playoffs.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
They are adding talent to the young skilled guys they have
Too many smurfs (Blues pun intended) on their back end. Krug, Leddy, and Faulk are top 4.
Only Parayko has size in their top 4, but he's more of a Petry type D than a physical one.
Need to replace one of those three with a gritty defensive D. Sounds familiar somehow.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Barrie, Yamo, JP, Foegele. I'd trade Ceci in the offseason, I think Vinny D can replace most of what he brings. Campbell's probably going to have to be bought out unless he REALLY shines.
I just find it hard to believe that anyone takes Yams or PJ. Especially PJ he’s been “on the block” for over a year with no takers. I think Ceci will be fine if we can ever move him back to a number 3/4 position he belongs in. I would rather wait it out with PJ than spend a 2nd or First just to trade him for the 3 million in cap space it would create to be honest. He will go back overseas after this year and the saga will finally be over. Now if we adding him to a bigger deal that’s a different story but it seems he has negative value at the moment.

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
Weirdly, not every team believes a rebuild needs to take two decades.

Meier's great, in his prime, and is an RFA after this year so he could be retained. He's not necessarily a rental.

Also interesting that after all the caterwauling from the media in this town about how hard it is to make trades and open up cap space in this league St Louis opened up, what, 9 million worth of it in a couple weeks?
That's because they don't get attached to all of their players and prospects. They know when to move on. They still have good players there. Watch them re-tool in a jiffy. Get a good dman and a good forward. That is what you call top notch GM'ing

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
In aggregate I don't disagree with you... I'm not a huge Campbell fan... but I watched every minute of these games and they were definitely undisciplined team losses. Very different than early season when Campbell's goaltending WAS losing us games.

If we want to blame these last three on Campbell we would be missing the broader point entirely.
I'm usually one to defend the goalies but the Oilers were plenty good enough to win the Colorado and last Detroit game and were a victim of having the 2nd best goalie on the ice. The 3rd and 4th goals against Colorado were particularly egregious.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm usually one to defend the goalies but the Oilers were plenty good enough to win the Colorado and last Detroit game and were a victim of having the 2nd best goalie on the ice. The 3rd and 4th goals against Colorado were particularly egregious.
The 4th one especially... Just cover the damn puck, dude.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Yup, he cost us that game. Like I know we're not all world defensively, but c'mon dude make a f***ing save, we gave you plenty of run support.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
And on the 3rd goal, and I know that Mackinnon has a great shot, you absolutely have to stop that shot from that far out with zero traffic near you. The Oilers would have won the Detroit and Colorado games with average goaltending. Two of the better games they played in this rough stretch.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Yall are crazy. Campbell basically had to make the splits just to make the initial save. His defenceman should have been able to clear the puck. Bouchard just stands there while his guy went around the net and tapped it in.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As much as Broberg-Bouchard have some decent advanced metrics, they're gonna get murdered as a pairing in a real playoff series. It's one of those things where fancy stats don't tell you everything. That 4th goal they played really poorly.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Cold Water on everything Tuesday on Oilers Now. "Because of Desharnais, the defense is fine". Paraphrasing what Stauffer is saying.

• Haha
Reactions: McTonyBrar

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The keyword there is "trying" to play low event hockey. They clearly dont know how to and win games.

I don't think Woodcroft/Manson even know how to coach that either. Did Bakersfield ever even play that style under Woody?

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Cold Water on everything Tuesday on Oilers Now. "Because of Desharnais, the defense is fine". Paraphrasing what Stauffer is saying.

I think the reporting that we obviously are looking for a "big swing" is prob hurting them in negotiations. Smart to throw some cold water out there. I would of been angry hearing this a week ago - but it makes sense now

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I think the team just likes some of their players too much.

Beyond JP, I dont think they really want to move anyone out. And theres even been rumours about re-signing so who knows lol.

In order for the team to make any realistic moves, JP/Foegele/Yamamoto would have to move forward wise. Defense wise Barrie/Kulak/Ceci could move.

For all the rumours in regards to this team, never heard Foegele or Yamamoto mentioned. Barrie maybe been mentioned but not even sure if he has.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
As much as Broberg-Bouchard have some decent advanced metrics, they're gonna get murdered as a pairing in a real playoff series. It's one of those things where fancy stats don't tell you everything. That 4th goal they played really poorly.

Everyone is gonna get murdered because we dont have a true veteran shutdown pair or a fully loaded #1/#2/#3/#4 D corps... every pairing has issues. Need at least one pairing you can count on to stem the tide break the cycle and flummox elite atrackers.

If we had an elite #1G that could make up for it but we dont.

If we had elite 2 way forwards focused on the defensive game this could be mitigated but we dont.

Its a tough nut to crack.. our path to the cup right now relies on facing incomplete opponents and getting lucky against elite teams that take critical injuries along the way

not great

Reactions: NashtoNowitzki

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

this-is.gif

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad