Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Holland was the GM we should have hired in 2015. (I know he wasn't available) We'd probably be a powerhouse right now. We've made the playoffs every year under Holland, made the WCF, still have a decent prospect pool and every year we go after good UFA's. I'd say he's doing a good job.

I love the EA mentality that some team that's bad today will risk mortgaging their future to be the 3rd team in a multiple year, retention deal. No 3rd team has ever retained on a contract that lasted more then a year.
I have to agree with Holland here. He came here and really didn't have a grace period. He was hired when the Oilers was in a win now mode and is a slow cook type of GM. Imagine if he had all the assets that Chia wasted away, he would be making more moves right now

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Mikael Granlund is probably available, but has had a shitty season. Might be a great fit to our top six.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nah, I am asking what they would pay. What is too much?
Example, I would not give a 2023, 2024 1st, Barrie, Bouchard and Holloway for either one of those guys.
Matter of fact a Barrie, Bouchard combo ++, I'm not giving up. Need one of those RDs.
That's a good question. There obviously has to be some sort of limit to how much they should spend on one of these big fish.

Personally, if Bouchard is involved I see him as worth more than just a 1st so I don't know if I'm doing Bouchard+1st for Chychrun. Maaaybe I'd do that for Karlsson just because he's such a game changer but, no, I don't think I'm emptying out the entire cupboard for either guy. I'd do two 1sts + for either though without much hesitation.

Reactions: Yuke and MessierII

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I bet COL E Jhonson will hit LTIR until the playoffs. He broke his foot. Out 6 weeks or so. 6 MILL cap hit. Them and Vegas will be able to make deals.

Agree. This is a huge disruption to the trade market and very few are talking about it. I would guess that any trade for a premium player (Karlsson, Kane, Gavrikov, etc, etc) that was almost done a week ago is now on ice while teams circle back to Colorado to get them interested in bidding.

Huge stroke of luck for Colorado just given the relative cap size and only modest on-ice impact of the loss.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Friedman saying a GM told him it’s obvious Oilers want to take a big swing on someone. We wanted O’Reilly as well
I was very sad that we missed out on that trade. It's risky, and perhaps we'd have needed to sweeten the pot given a lack of cap space, but O'Reilly and Acciari would have dramatically changed our team for the better.... add in a steady D-man and we'd be looking good.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I was very sad that we missed out on that trade. It's risky, and perhaps we'd have needed to sweeten the pot given a lack of cap space, but O'Reilly and Acciari would have dramatically changed our team for the better.... add in a steady D-man and we'd be looking good.
That's what the Leafs are looking to be doing. Adding ROR and Acciari and a shutdown Dman.

Reactions: bucks_oil

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
That "very very poor sub par overworked defense" does just fine with Stuart Skinner. I have no love for our defense but they're just an average to below average NHL defense, and shouldn't be treated as any more nor any less. They're not some Anaheim/Chicago level dumpster fire. Jack Campbell is the problem. Suggesting otherwise is ridiculous.

Again, our defense is no juggernaut, our forwards love to cherry pick, our systems often break down into hail mary stretch pass coinflips, and many of the defensemen have numerous warts and are played in spots too high for their abilities. But none of that makes them anything worse than a slightly below average NHL defense. Stuart Skinner plays under the exact same conditions, against stronger opponents, with the team playing worse eye test wise in front of him, yet still sits slightly above league average with a 0.913 save percentage and right around league average with 2.95 GAA. Jack Campbell is insufferably bad.
Except Skinner is on a downward curve from earlier in the season because the league has figured out he's beatable high on the glove side.

Fix the defense and the goalies get better. This idea that we can go all ahead full offense and expect them to make crazy saves from wide open looks by the opposition is not only insanity, but not conductive to postseason success.

As for the last two games, ask yourself why are we selling out for offense with a three goal lead?

If you're expecting a Vezina candidate bailing us out all the time, you're gonna be waiting a long time.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Except Skinner is on a downward curve from earlier in the season because the league has figured out he's beatable high on the glove side.

Fix the defense and the goalies get better. This idea that we can go all ahead full offense and expect them to make crazy saves from wide open looks by the opposition is not only insanity, but not conductive to postseason success.

As for the last two games, ask yourself why are we selling out for offense with a three goal lead?

If you're expecting a Vezina candidate bailing us out all the time, you're gonna be waiting a long time.
We are selling out on offense with a 3 goal lead because we know that 3 shots and we could easily be tied again. JC just can’t seem to keep the ones out he needs to lately. When you score 13 goals in 3 games and lose all of them your goalie needs to make a fn save once in a while:

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Well...

The current refrain from the media guys is that Campbell has "regained his form" and "claimed the number one job" in 2023.

In 2023

Campbell has a .905 SV% at 5v5, Skinner has a .929 SV%
Campbell has an .821 HDSV%, and Skinner has a .872
Campbell has allowed 27 goals on 22 expected, Skinner has allowed 11 on 14 expected.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
And Vinny is back up. At least that's one mistake fixed.

Though it's an emergency recall, so that means they'll still be without Kane and/or Kostin for Philly.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Foegele-Drai-Yams
Janmark-McLeod-Pulju
Shore-Ryan

Less than ideal, but at least the defence is back up to *ahem* full speed.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

All of Dusty Schwartz goalies are susceptible high glove

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Well...

The current refrain from the media guys is that Campbell has "regained his form" and "claimed the number one job" in 2023.

In 2023

Campbell has allowed 27 goals on 22 expected, Skinner has allowed 11 on 14 expected.

It's because the media fail to realize or grasp that the team (for whatever f***ing reason) consistently plays like dog shit in front of Skinner, but not in front of Campbell which is why one wins more games.

Skinner's only real shitty game was Montreal and that was a top to bottom team effort in that one.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Well...

In 2023

Now post records.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Now post records.

Didn't Mikko Koskinen also have stretches with a good record? That doesn't make you a good goalie. That just means the team plays on their toes for you because they know you suck ass and they can't play half assed as much.

We're gonna give the goalie credit when the team scores 5 goals (apparently wasn't enough against Colorado anyway)?

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Skinner even with his downward curve is still beating Campbell across almost every relevant goalie stat in 2023. We don't need a Vezina candidate, we just need a league average NHL goalie and anyone who thinks Campbell has met that bar is on copium.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Now post records.

Oilers goals per game:

When Campbell starts - 4.32
When Skinner starts - 3.21

It is a straight up fact that the Oilers play considerably worse with Skinner in net. Why? No reason, it's just another thing the Oilers just do that is unexplainable, ridiculous and self defeating. If they scored 4.32 goals per game that Skinner started in you could probably count his losses on one hand at this point.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Isn't it strange that every goalie during the Schwartz era have all been weak high glove?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Oilers goals per game:

It is a straight up fact that the Oilers play considerably worse with Skinner in net. Why? No reason, it's just another thing the Oilers just do that is unexplainable, ridiculous and self defeating. If they scored 4.32 goals per game that Skinner started in you could probably count his losses on one hand at this point.
Again running on ifs, buts, should of, would of, could of.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Oilers goals per game:

I wonder if they try and play tighter defensively for Skinner because he's a rookie but with Campbell they know his track record and cheat for offence more hoping he will bail them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad