Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
EK 30%ret for PJ/Barrie/XB/1st 23 (+/-?)
2nd to minny for 10% ret

Foegele+1st 24 for Barbashev. Same agent as Kane. Never know in the summer.

Have I lost my marbles and is my value/salary way off? Likely, but I don't get paid 5mill KEN. SJ could get good return for Barrie in the summer or next deadline. Keep games interesting for their fans on the pp at least.

Nurse-Desharnais(let's get weird)
Broberg-Karlsson
Kulak-Ceci
Bouchard

Kane-McD-Kostin
Hyman-Drai-Yam
Barbashev-Nuge-Ryan
Shore/Holloway-Mcleod-*McDrai
Minny got a 4th rounder for retaining around 74k in the ROR deal. Think they or any team would ask for way more than a second to retain 4M on EK. A first and a really good prospect would be minimum I would think.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Minny got a 4th rounder for retaining around 74k in the ROR deal. Think they or any team would ask for way more than a second to retain 4M on EK. A first and a really good prospect would be minimum I would think.
Touche. Maybe no 3rd team retention works for the price. Just means some leaaaan support player contracts on T-Funk's fantasy Oilers for a few years. ;)

Reactions: bellagiobob

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Yeah because that’s the only alternative to Holland :rolleyes:

God forbid the Oilers hire someone who is simultaneously smart and proactive.
Your asking for a lot. Been since Slats that we had a proactive? Well, I guess you could toss Lowe into the fire.

Your asking for a lot. Been since Slats that we had a proactive GM? Well, I guess you could toss Lowe into the fire.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Didn't Minny also give up a 4th rounder from last year in the deal? Really tough to judge if they got anything for retaining.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
no team is retaining for 4 years in terms of multi million cap. Most of these bottom feeders think they will be competitive by that time. At least unless they just are starting their decline

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
no team is retaining for 4 years in terms of multi million cap. Most of these bottom feeders think they will be competitive by that time. At least unless they just are starting their decline
Not that they're signing up but lets not pretend the Yotes even consider themselves competitive by that time.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Minny retained $1.875M on O'Reilly and gave up Josh Pillar for the 4th rounder they received. If you go to CapFriendly's homepage and scroll down it has a recent trades sections with all the particulars including retention and overall cap implications for each trade which is pretty handy.

It might not be the place to find breaking trades on trade deadline day but CapFriendly should have all the trade details a day or two afterwards, except maybe some info on conditional draft picks if that info hasn't been disclosed yet.

Anyways, with regards to retention it seems like it's somewhat variable depending on the trade and teams involved. The difference with Karlsson obviously is that he's got 4 more full years on the deal. If the Oilers could get another team to retain 13% on Karlsson that's $1.5M per year. Is that worth a 3rd rounder or more per year? Probably depends on the team and they'd probably try to extract a 1st + for that much retention instead of a 3rd rounder for each year of the deal. Chicago seems like the ideal team to involve for 3rd party retention in such a situation. Seems unlikely though given the length of Karlsson's deal, but who knows.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah I think unless you’re getting someone like Karlsson, Chychrun, Ekholm etc, you’re just wasting assets on defense.

Might as well just bulk up the forwards if can’t get a guy above. Team doesn’t need more bottom pairing guys.
Yep, that's what I've been saying for a few weeks. If they can't get an impact Dman then it's pretty much a waste giving up good assets for a deck chair shuffle. Depth isn't really a big issue on defense, quality is.

The problem is that the forwards that could have moved the dial like filling the all important #3C role have been taken off the market the last few days in O'Rielly and Toews. Might as well take a shot at Kane. If not, then I'm not sure what's out there that can make a real difference.

Reactions: Echodek

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I think Holloway is going to hit LTIR, but probably? I think he's going to replace Shore as that emergency call up.
Can we still put him LTIR with him getting injured in the minors?

Are we cap compliant with VD activated?
This is my question as well. I just don’t understand this well enough I guess. Unless we are putting Holloway on LTIR but I’m not sure if you can do that with him getting hurt outside the NHL.

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
I bet COL E Jhonson will hit LTIR until the playoffs. He broke his foot. Out 6 weeks or so. 6 MILL cap hit. Them and Vegas will be able to make deals.

Reactions: bucks_oil

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If they aren't sending Shore down again... I assume a dman on the roster is sick/injured if they are using an emergency exemption to bring up Desharnais.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Emergency exceptions only allow you to play a roster of 12 forwards...6 dmen... 2 goalies... so a 20 man roster is the limit when a team is in "emergency exception mode".

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Yet you're yelling at people for suggesting Chychrun and Karlsson.
Nah, I am asking what they would pay. What is too much?
Example, I would not give a 2023, 2024 1st, Barrie, Bouchard and Holloway for either one of those guys.
Matter of fact a Barrie, Bouchard combo ++, I'm not giving up. Need one of those RDs.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
So you want Chia back. Someone to jump at any trades.
Holland was the GM we should have hired in 2015. (I know he wasn't available) We'd probably be a powerhouse right now. We've made the playoffs every year under Holland, made the WCF, still have a decent prospect pool and every year we go after good UFA's. I'd say he's doing a good job.

I love the EA mentality that some team that's bad today will risk mortgaging their future to be the 3rd team in a multiple year, retention deal. No 3rd team has ever retained on a contract that lasted more then a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad