Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Never once said single year, said next year will be better at going for it and a reason why. I wanted to know when too much is too much. Some of these suggestions are a joke and you know it.
Move one of those 4 players for Who?Why give one of these 1st for a Chariot type player and have them do nothing and dump JP who can play 3/4 line this year. We will be no further ahead, just minus a 1st.
I made a mistake on the 1st with Tarasenko. Read the cost was to high for Kane, miss read the rest.
The bolded has probably been uttered for 20 years in a row for the oilers.

We an;t go for it this year becasue our GM is purely awful and after inheriting a cap team then being told give kenny 3 years to clear cap we are actually in worse cap trouble. Meanwhile we watch a host of other teams that 'will be better to go for it next year' make meaningful moves.

The actual reason holland should go for it this year? He should have his ass fired if the oilers do not exceed what we did last year. But he has no real worries, the team is lead by a bunch of dunces above him.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
To be fair I think pairings isn't the most fair way to evaluate player on ice results b/c their teammate could be dragging them down and could be affected by matchups. Nurse-Ceci for instance is actually Nurse's worst on ice results pairing likely due to that duo's absurd quality of competition and volume deployment into elites. On the flipside, Nurse-Bouchard currently has the best on ice results of any defensive pairing with over 100 minutes of deployment (Bouchard historically has struggled vs elites while paired with anyone else, especially Duncan Keith, but flourished with Darnell Nurse, just seems to lack consistency to sustain the results for long stretches).
View attachment 653953

Yeah ita a bit of a tough one. I went with the highest TOI with each player. I don't think Nurse-Bouchard played enough together to create an accurate representation, especially when looking at expected goals for and against. 100 minutes is like 5-6 games together and 7 expected goals for and 3 expected goals against isnt a large enough sample size to pro-rate IMO. Bouchard has show flashes of being a fantastic puck mover but has also been walked on when put in top 4 role.

To me the points moot because the coach clearly doesnt think Bouchard is capable of playing on the pair and continues to get easy matchups. We need more defenceman to eat up minutes against better competition that the coaches trust enough to give them the minutes.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020

We an;t go for it this year becasue our GM is purely awful and after inheriting a cap team then being told give kenny 3 years to clear cap we are actually in worse cap trouble. Meanwhile we watch a host of other teams that 'will be better to go for it next year' make meaningful moves.

The actual reason holland should go for it this year? He should have his ass fired if the oilers do not exceed what we did last year. But he has no real worries, the team is lead by a bunch of dunces above him.
In your opinion what makes this year the year. I explained yearlier why next year is the year. I'd be good with a player with term, no UFAs

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Provorov 27+ TOI in the downing of Flames today.
Flyers got dominated, but Markstrom bailed them out.
Provorov with a few ugly giveaways.
I would focus on Sanheim. Flyers fans say he was their best D for the last 3 years until Torts came along and broke him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Probably means we see some movement soon. Wonder if we go for kane now or vegas grabs him

I mean Vegas' front office is totally going to stomp all over Sleepy Ken, so that's not much of a drama, lol.

Max Domi is the guy who the Oilers probably end up getting forward wise.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Why should they automatically do better this year?
Want a reminder what the Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov, Vasi core has been through for playoff records?

1st round
Conference Final loss
Miss playoffs
Conference Finals loss
1st round loss
Cup
Cup

If we followed suit from 2 years ago, we would be checkers like them until the b2b cups, which I would take anytime.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In your opinion what makes this year the year. I explained yearlier why next year is the year. I'd be good with a player with term, no UFAs

The West may not be this wide open for a long time especially if Makar and Stone have injury issues for one.

Secondly this is really a lax attitude to have because people who think this way often get burned and then later on are saying "well I missed my chance I guess" ... you have to strike when the iron is hot. McDavid is having a career year, so are RNH and Hyman, who even knows if that will happen again. The bottom 6 is even playing even or outscoring opponents, who knows if that ever happens again.

Who knows maybe next you are the team that has injuries and now your grand plan of "well we were waiting for this year to be the year!" goes down the toilet and your back is really against the wall. Don't ever assume tomorrow or "next year" is promised to you, not just in sports either.

Last edited:

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
The West may not be this wide open for a long time especially if Makar and Stone have injury issues for one.

Secondly this is really a lax attitude to have because people who think this way often get burned and then later on are saying "well I missed my chance I guess" ... you have to strike when the iron is hot. McDavid is having a career year, so are RNH and Hyman, who even knows if that will happen again. The bottom 6 is even playing even or outscoring opponents, who knows if that ever happens again.

Who knows maybe next you are the team that has injuries and now your grand plan of "well we were waiting for this year to be the year!" goes down the toilet and your back is really against the wall. Don't ever assume tomorrow or "next year" is promised to you, not just in sports either.
Draisaitl hurt or just playing subpar. Goaltending playing well?
Have Broberg, Holloway, Kostin Skinner hit the wall?.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We have 4 forwards destroying the league offensively this year who are massivley on their game, 3/4 on pace for career years. Half of those guys will take a step back next year. That’s not something you waste.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Draisaitl hurt or just playing subpar. Goaltending playing well?
Have Broberg, Holloway, Kostin Skinner hit the wall?.
Drai: who knows. If he's hurt, he might be fine by playoffs or it could take him 2 years. If he's checked out, not going all in likely doesn't help next season.
Goalies: random headcases. Same goalies are here next season anyways, so roll the dice on when you want an actual run.
If Broberg has "broken out" so far this year, then next year likely slumps.
I'd imagine whatever limitations Kostin has right now, he would probably fight a freight train to succeed in the playoffs.
Holloway: yup probably next year is better after playing the majority in AHL.

League is super random this year. Everyone capped out. I'd like to take advantage of the silliness and see where it goes.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I hope we make a serious offer for Provorov. Then find a center.

For a team which features the best player in the world it's outright painful to be a fan of the Oilers.

Reactions: belair

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
EK 30%ret for PJ/Barrie/XB/1st 23 (+/-?)
2nd to minny for 10% ret

Foegele+1st 24 for Barbashev. Same agent as Kane. Never know in the summer.

Have I lost my marbles and is my value/salary way off? Likely, but I don't get paid 5mill KEN. SJ could get good return for Barrie in the summer or next deadline. Keep games interesting for their fans on the pp at least.

Nurse-Desharnais(let's get weird)
Broberg-Karlsson
Kulak-Ceci
Bouchard

Kane-McD-Kostin
Hyman-Drai-Yam
Barbashev-Nuge-Ryan
Shore/Holloway-Mcleod-*McDrai

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
EK 30%ret for PJ/Barrie/XB/1st 23 (+/-?)
2nd to minny for 10% ret

Foegele+1st 24 for Barbashev. Same agent as Kane. Never know in the summer.

Have I lost my marbles and is my value/salary way off? Likely, but I don't get paid 5mill KEN. SJ could get good return for Barrie in the summer or next deadline. Keep games interesting for their fans on the pp at least.

Nurse-Desharnais(let's get weird)
Broberg-Karlsson
Kulak-Ceci
Bouchard

Kane-McD-Kostin
Hyman-Drai-Yam
Barbashev-Nuge-Ryan
Shore/Holloway-Mcleod-*McDrai
minny will only retain for 1 year on contracts

their buyout hit next two years jumps to over 14.7mill

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Well we’ve scored 4 and 5 goals the last 3 games and lost them all.

I don’t see the best teams in the league giving up 3 to 5 goals every game. Scoring is nice but you have to be able to defend, because the best teams in the league aren’t going to let you hang 4/5 goals on them most nights.

competent goaltending is the caveat, I should have clarified

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Bettman's boys are back in the thick of it. If you want a profitable NHL do more sports betting.
gary-bettman.jpg

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I've decided that all the big name trades are just too much effort and difficult for Holland so I took all the forwards and dmen who have played at least 1 NHL game in the past 3 years and threw them into a spreadsheet and picked 1 each at random to add to the team...

Forward: Matthew Peca
Dman: Jordan Gross

There you go Ken... all the deep hockeyDB analysis can now be skipped as your targets have been selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad