Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Apparently Desharnais has Ebola virus I guess?

A week+ out with the flu?
Maybe he has COVID (rapid test), but they don't want to: a) officially test and be forced to let the league know (extending his time absent), and/or b) announce his personal health information publicly.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Well, when you think about it for two years+ Covid allowed these other bugs to almost go dormant and build strength. I'm not virologist but that's my theory anyways.

Or people messed with their immune system and now the body has trouble fighting regular infections.

Is Manson a good D coach? Sad that Desharnais and Broberg seem the most competent

Reactions: gordonhught

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Do they even have the space to claim him? Doesn’t he suck?
Yea. He sucks. If Jankowski is the answer I’m not sure what that question is unfortunately.

People are itching for Holland to do something. I don’t blame them. We are running in place and burning daylight. We had a chance to claim the top of the division. Now those hopes are likely fading. My guess is a wildcard spot by the end of the season

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Read something about Desharnais being re-called but don’t see anything. Guessing they’re wrong?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Cody Ceci when the Oilers have a lead:

twerk-dance.gif

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
A lot of that is QoC and deployment but man we need someone that can shut down other teams top lines.
I saw one of the fancy stats people on Twitter that had a list of dmen ranked by their defensive impact and Ekholm was near the top. However, he's another player that represents a significant cap hit with term.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Boston should be at the top of that list. The funny thing I don't even think Colorado is that great this year, clearly downgraded from last season and now Makar has concussion issues on top of that? This should be a year the Oilers are pouncing all over and you have a GM that still refuses to make any kind of deal because every future must be milked I guess.
Even if we traded all of our picks we need to be able Dutch PJ/Yams/Foegle to be able to accommodate what ever is coming in. It’s great to say trade all our picks and all but the issue is still cap space for incoming players.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Even if we traded all of our picks we need to be able Dutch PJ/Yams/Foegle to be able to accommodate what ever is coming in. It’s great to say trade all our picks and all but the issue is still cap space for incoming players.

The team taking the picks will take that salary, like I don't think that is the hold up people make it out to be. "We badly need draft picks but we're going to kill a deal that would get us futures because we didn't want some rando's salary for 3 months". Even an extra year is not a big deal, rebuilding teams tend to be nowhere close to the cap roof so what do they care.

It's only an issue if you're asking a team to take on like 3-4-5+ year contract commitment, then it gets dicey because they have to think about cap flexibility for themselves when they are likely wanting to turn the corner and contend.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

This is another example of how advanced stats get misrepresented. These aren't individual stats. They're team based stats.

If you went out and acquired a guy with a 2.2 GA/60, he'd come here and likely see those GA rise because this is a team that scores a lot and gives up a lot.

Seeing Ceci and Nurse on the bottom of that list suggests to me that our scoring lines need to do a better job of preventing GAs.

Reactions: jeg and TGOSnipes99

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is another example of how advanced stats get misrepresented. These aren't individual stats. They're team based stats.

If you went out and acquired a guy with a 2.2 GA/60, he'd come here and likely see those GA rise because this is a team that scores a lot and gives up a lot.

Seeing Ceci and Nurse on the bottom of that list suggests to me that our scoring lines need to do a better job of preventing GAs.

Or y'know maybe Ceci and Nurse panic like a chicken with its head cut off when another team starts to press on them.

There's a reason Toronto cut bait on Ceci and Barrie in particular.

You can't trust these guys when you have a lead, they give it up like Halloween candy.

Reactions: TGOSnipes99

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The team taking the picks will take that salary, like I don't think that is the hold up people make it out to be. "We badly need draft picks but we're going to kill a deal that would get us futures because we didn't want some rando's salary for 3 months". Even an extra year is not a big deal, rebuilding teams tend to be nowhere close to the cap roof so what do they care.

It's only an issue if you're asking a team to take on like 3-4-5+ year contract commitment, then it gets dicey because they have to think about cap flexibility for themselves when they are likely wanting to turn the corner and contend.
I don’t know how true that is to be honest. If teams were that willing to take on our garbage I’m pretty sure we would have been able to trade the way below average players we have been icing for the last decade. JP comes to mind he’s on an expiring deal but would you add a first just to dump him? That would not be a very good idea IMO

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don’t know how true that is to be honest. If teams were that willing to take on our garbage I’m pretty sure we would have been able to trade the way below average players we have been icing for the last decade. JP comes to mind he’s on an expiring deal but would you add a first just to dump him? That would not be a very good idea IMO

Which 1st rounder have the Oilers traded in the last 15 years? There's your answer. This team doesn't want to trade any picks, so you can't sit there and be upset that no one is willing to take your salary.

Make a f***ing offer maybe? Other teams dump salary in a reasonable time frame all the time.

North

Jun 25, 2009
First of all with this back end we aren’t contenders. Contenders like Carolina, Tampa, Avs, Boston don’t need to make a big splash because news flash… they are already way better than us.

We aren’t Carolina comfortably sitting in 1st. We are hanging onto a wild spot card and running a shortened lineup because we have no cap. If you can’t see the difference in urgency between us and an actual contender then I don’t know what to tell you.

You are correct that the TDL is not here yet though. Lots of time for me to eat my words.

Edit : Okay if JP is involved in a trade then waive yams. They are an equal waste of cap.

What people don’t get is they won’t waive Yams. They like him. Connor and Leon like him and want him on the team.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I think this shows how out of touch with reality fans are.

Not only believing that’s what a “savvy” GM would say, but that something like that would have any bearing whatsoever on what other GMs think.
How is playing up the fact that our first could be significantly more valuable than someone like Toronto's "out of touch with reality"?

Fact is we have heard the "position of weakness argument" used against us in regards to picking up players in the past. If we are in a position of weakness, our picks should be more valuable and we should be highlighting that to get more value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad