Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The real contenders like the Avs, Tampa, Carolina, Rangers, Leafs (yes the Leafs, lol) etc, have more or less complete rosters and can afford to use pieces to take on high end rentals. In our cap situation, we are hamstrung with the dollar in dollar out scenario and our targets need to be players with term. And with term, the acquiring cost goes way up. Such is the situation our GM has backed us into.
Perhaps in his next life Holland can not dole out pricy extensions to depth players and not blow his load on Darnell Nurse.

Reactions: NashtoNowitzki

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holland already really got what he wanted anyway, it seems obvious to me his "plan" in coming here was to "quietly" get his son who has zero experience to be installed as GM.

He knew Detroit isn't dumb enough to fall for that and wanted him out for Yzerman. The Oilers are the easy mark that Holland saw.

He's not really that motivated to do much past that I don't think. He has his Cups already, just wants to keep things above water so his son who has no business being a GM can get a job based on nepotism.

He's semi-retired just moonlighting as a GM and stuck in 1998.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Nobody on waivers. Unless a trade happens we are short again for next game.

Hahahahaha
giphy.gif

Apparently Desharnais has Ebola virus I guess?

A week+ out with the flu?
There is some nasty bugs going around, I would know, I have 3 toddlers (Kids currently vomiting everywhere)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I haven't really heard that Karlsson has the big bomb of a shot that is coveted by most teams. But from what I see of him, he has incredible lateral skating skills, which allow him to walk the line effortlessly, and then get his shot through openings. His offensive vision is elite when doing that. Something you just can't teach.
I don't think anybody doubts that Karlsson is better than Chychrun but pulling off a Karlsson deal is almost impossible considering the amount of retention needed, all the shuffling out of contracts and asset negotiation. For normal GMs that would be a tough deal to pull off but for a GM with not a creative bone in his body like Holland, it's not even worth the time invested that it would take to pull off something like that.

In terms of Chychrun, it seems like a much simpler deal to pull off. The Oilers can send out a couple of contracts along with a couple of 1sts or 1st+high end prospect and that's that. He also has a more team friendly contract the next 2 years after this one and is a lot younger so less of a risk of him falling off but of course, they don't like Chychrun for whatever reason so it looks like Karlsson or bust and I lean very heavily towards bust. I wouldn't even waste my time with Ghost or Schenn that are lateral moves. I would have liked the attention being tuned towards O'Rielly or Toews to shore up the understated important #3C role but that's out of the window too so I don't see where it goes from here.

Actually, I'm rooting for Nashville to keep losing so Ekholm becomes available, probably the best fit stylistically, but doesn't he have a NTC? And it's another trade that would be complicated because of the cap so you could probably count that one out too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I haven't really heard that Karlsson has the big bomb of a shot that is coveted by most teams. But from what I see of him, he has incredible lateral skating skills, which allow him to walk the line effortlessly, and then get his shot through openings. His offensive vision is elite when doing that. Something you just can't teach.

He has a very fast shot release that is accurate that handcuffs goalies a lot. It's not necessarily like a Souray type point bomb shot but it gets the job done.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Which basically leaves:

Karlsson at 20% (not happening)
Chychrun (crickets on this front, rumours they weren’t very interested)
Edmundson (back problems…and ask is way too high. I’m not big on him either)
Parayko (haven’t seen much of him linked anywhere, also some health concerns)
Gostisbehere (rumoured to be interested)
Murphy? (Is he actually available?)

I left McCabe off since it sounds like he won’t waive to come to Canada

Gostisbehere might be the most likely option. I expect it’ll be him or Edmundson if they go for a more “shut down” option (his health issues scare me so hope not).
Most of that is a lot of “woof” from me lol. Like not a lot of that I’m huge on. . Chychrun I’m still fine with. Ek too but sounds like that’s not happening. Why is ekholm not available? Preds need to reset
Strong feeling we are going 11-6 again
AC0DAEF5-CE67-4AF6-AC5A-68BB0E737DEF.gif

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The real contenders like the Avs, Tampa, Carolina, Rangers, Leafs (yes the Leafs, lol) etc, have more or less complete rosters and can afford to use pieces to take on high end rentals. In our cap situation, we are hamstrung with the dollar in dollar out scenario and our targets need to be players with term. And with term, the acquisition costs go way up. Such is the situation our GM has backed us into.

Boston should be at the top of that list. The funny thing I don't even think Colorado is that great this year, clearly downgraded from last season and now Makar has concussion issues on top of that? This should be a year the Oilers are pouncing all over and you have a GM that still refuses to make any kind of deal because every future must be milked I guess.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
They are going to have to go into a retool after this year most likely. So I don’t know if it even matters.
Aging in vets for sure. Still have some goods pieces but I’m not sure they will be the same team next year/year after.

Marchand is no spring chicken lol

They’ve been rumoured to be the front runner for him for awhile.

I initially wanted him, but after watching a few games of his found him underwhelming.
Hard pass on Gavrikov

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
But Desharnias bring something this geam lacks. For players to be NHLers, it takes a perfect storm, be a needed piece in the puzzle. I think Desharnias defense is that.

Even if a defender is needed, a forward actually seems to be a bigger need when pulju and yamamoto is worsw than ryan and Janmark in impact on game.
Shows how lacking the team is for physicallity on the back end.
Need a Desharnais type that doesn't need to be sheltered.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Shows how lacking the team is for physicallity on the back end.
Need a Desharnais type that doesn't need to be sheltered.

Desharnais is basically already the 2nd best or best d-man on the Oilers team at actually playing de-fence depending on what planet Darnell's head is on any given day.

The d corps looks like a total joke with him gone. With him in the lineup it looked like maybe average/middle of the pack, with him out it's straight back to "total gong show, get ready for 5 goals against!" crap.

Reactions: TGOSnipes99

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Well, when you think about it for two years+ Covid allowed these other bugs to almost go dormant and build strength. I'm not virologist but that's my theory anyways.
I don’t think it’s far fetched at all. Part our immune system is built being exposed to bugs and processing these bugs through our social networks.

We had two years of general isolation.

This was generally projected in many cases.

Our immune system was weakened in a lot of cases.

Note this is not a political post…so no one should take it that way.

Someday we'll get a GM with a sack and a pulse.
5771D6E8-DF37-4D64-ACE0-2DE12FD37823.jpeg

Hollands motto. Must be a big nickelback fan!!!

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
We are allowed to call up one more player at no cost to the cap making less then 850K but if one of our players are good to go tomorrow we wont.

Reactions: McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad