Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
What a player wow, I mean just incredible value at 3M, just helps the team win at a rate we have never seen before. Hart trophy maps? Selke maps? Lester maps?

You should watch the game instead of banking on some map.

So you didn’t even look at what I posted as evidence- you’re going to stick with your bias. That’s fine- but just admit it.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
His value will never be higher. No way. Not to mention if he gets hurt again or something.

Anyone in sales right now would be yelling “sell sell sell!”

As someone in sales I can definitely say now would be the time to sell him. But…

Also knowing the ‘greed’ of ownership that thinks the value will continue to go up, I could see them not wanting to sell him now, particularly if they think they can clear more of his salary in the off-season (they won’t).

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
It must be nice working in NHL management. You can be complete shit at your job, totally incompetent in every way and still collect millions of dollars while playing pretend because since the league is so irrelevant, accountability doesn't really matter. And in markets where it isn't irrelevant like Canada and... well, just Canada, the fans have been so whipped into submission that they just learn to tolerate it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
As someone in sales I can definitely say now would be the time to sell him. But…

Also knowing the ‘greed’ of ownership that thinks the value will continue to go up, I could see them not wanting to sell him now, particularly if they think they can clear more of his salary in the off-season (they won’t).
Another good principle in business is the art of negotiation especially under monopolistic conditions of one prospective partner who has a critical, time sensitive need for what you're selling. San Jose is looking at history making real dollar salary retention and that on top of real money absorbed on Burns and Martin Jones contracts. You've got an incredible talent and historic season happening with your basically lone team star to pump up your thin fan base.

This is an incredibly complex trade that is going to take time and likely significant back-and-forth to try to find a value point for retention on like $40,000,000 real dollars.

I happen to agree with you. I think this could be the apex trade value for Karlsson with the Oilers desperately needing an elite blue line upgrade. But it's not going to be made with one offer, if it has even been tabled by some speculation.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
While some trades make more sense in the post-season ( cap reasons), I don’t want the Oilers to dismiss important TDL possibilities. This season is important and has a chance with some key additions, especially on defence. Don’t blow the chance - the team / players and fans will lose any confidence in management.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Do you know what I find interesting is all the bitching about how poorly Holland is managing the cap and then I directly compare it against BOS who is at this moment definitely the best team this regular season.

So who are our overpaid players- I think most would agree that it's Yamo, Foegele, Pulju, Nurse, and Campbell, with pretty much everyone else paid a fair price or are value deals relative to their contribution.

So who are BOS's overpaid players- Mike Reilly, Charlie Coyle, Nick Foligno, Craig Smith, Taylor Hall, and while I haven't watched enough of BOS's 3rd D pair to say with authority they are overpaid, they are clearly making more than 3rd pair d-men generally do.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
So we’re playing a man short again due to Evander Kane and Klim Kostin being out. Ken Holland needs to earn his $ and figure out this roster management thing ASAP. Figure it out. He’s costing us points in the standings.
He isn’t costing points it’s the players that won’t buy into playing a two way game

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Henrique seems like he would be too expensive for how mediocre he is.
Henrique would be like adding a second RNH. Responsible two-way center that can play elevated minutes in all situations.

He'd also be here for two playoff runs at net zero cap at the expense of Foegele.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
He isn’t costing points it’s the players that won’t buy into playing a two way game
Playing a man short and overplaying a clearly labouring Draisatl isn’t affecting the teams performance? Having to send down a solid PKer and defensive Defenceman in Desharnais due to Hollands cap mismanagement isn’t affecting team performance?

It absolutely is costing us points.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Henrique would be like adding a second RNH. Responsible two-way center that can play elevated minutes in all situations.

He'd also be here for two playoff runs at net zero cap at the expense of Foegele.
If we can get them to retain.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I respectfully disagree that in the past Nurse and Chychrun have been equal. Nurse has had the benefit of primarily being out on the ice with McDavid which pumped up his possession numbers. His numbers with Bear were also good because, in my mind, Bear could make those 5 foot passes to get the puck going the right way, a skill set Nurse doesn’t possess.

I agree with you in Nurse had gotten away from the game that got him drafted. He used to be a hard playing, defense first thought guy. I do t know, maybe playing with Leon and Connor he thinks he needs to be Paul Coffey. I also don’t know if backing up right into the goalie is a carry over from Tippett (Tippett didn’t care about giving up the line) but he needs to fix that. With the way he skates, he should absolutely challenge at the blue line. To add to this, Ceci has been an absolute tire fire since being paired with Nurse. I have no clue why the coach keeps forcing it. Those two trying to break the puck out is just a comedy of errors. Nurse out with 97/29 in 3v3 situations is a fire able offense in my opinion.

If I were coach for a day, I would try to increase the workload of Broberg and Bouchard and see if they can handle it. I guess you can’t split up Ceci and Nurse because Nurse and Barrie would be an absolute shit show in the d zone

I mostly agree with all of this. I'm not a big fan of Nurse frankly - and the contract makes me want to cry. At least, I'm not a big fan of "unhinged" Nurse who seems to have no accountability. I do think lately I've noticed him a bit less in a bad way during some of the last few games, but problems still arise.

I do think that if you look at the available D - there are many ways we can do this wrong. I feel Chychrun or Orlov are the most right. Literally any of the other options (Klingberg, Ghost, Kulikov, Gavrikov, Dumba, Edmundson, Parayko) are probably doing it wrong. Everything on Karlsson sounds not possible at this time.

Reactions: Macblender

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Rangers get it. Make trades when you see you have a spot you want to fill, not just waiting till the deadline when prices are higher and desperate teams will up the price.
Meh, players like Motte are always available, don't get me wrong I do like the player, but there are multiple affordable PK forward options out there, the supply of that player type will not be exhausted.

Also with respect to Tarasenko that was a long time coming and he was only really willing to go to 2 teams, shouldn't be incredibly hard to get that done. Rangers have always seemed to get a steady supply of Russians who just want to go to New York, because it's New York.

Feb 9, 2013
Yes, it was ... ha

"Well liked" ... maybe, but I guarantee they like winning better. And they're not winning with scarecrow.
That being said … the idea of resigning scarecrow was rumored to be "broached" as a topic for discussion. Which is the same as saying: there is a rumor they raised the topic of resigning scarecrow as a topic to discuss. Management wouldn't be doing its due diligence if they didn't at least raise the idea as a topic for discussion - hopefully that's as far as it went. Hopefully Holland said - "not happening," and they moved on to more important topics - like a certain San Jose Defenseman, or honestly whether to order pineapple on their pizza order.

Waive trade him, and get Desharnais back into the lineup - I don't think its coincidence we've struggled since our lone defender capable of defending was sent down.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Take me back to when it seemed like something might happen.

Stauffer throwing cold water on everything during the intermission.

Karlsson an off-season move, Ekholm would cost Broberg.

Karlsson in the off-season is a waste. 50% of his appeal is his current incredible season. I have zero interest in paying even close to the rumoured asking price if we don’t get this seasons karlsson for a run this year.

Also Broberg as part of a package for ekholm is a big no thank you.

Sure would be nice to give McDrai a real number 1 puck moving Dman to play with at some point in their careers

Oilers49er

Jun 25, 2018

Karlsson in the off-season is a waste. 50% of his appeal is his current incredible season. I have zero interest in paying even close to the rumoured asking price if we don’t get this seasons karlsson for a run this year.

Sure would be nice to give McDrai a real number 1 puck moving Dman to play with at some point in their careers

Holland shouldn't have to trade Broberg or Bouchard, but he's pretty soft negotiating trades.

We need a better GM

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
What about something like Bouchard, Yamo, and Puljujarvi plus a pick or two for Ekholm and Jeannot? Broberg takes Bouchard spot on the right side with Desharnais taking some minutes.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I'm calling bullshit on Ekholm requiring Broberg in return, that's a bigger ask then the last time he was on the market when the contract was more affordable and his numbers were better, you can say he's got term being the primary difference, but given the age and amount I don't think that brings much if any value to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad