Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If we start buying.

100%. We need to start making moves to improve this team defensively. The Oilers have shown that they can produce offensively. McDavid is on pace for 148 points, Drai 123 and Nuge/Hyman just shy of 100.

Having said that, I think their is room for minor improvements up and down the roster. We need more offensive zone time, get better at clogging up the neutral zone and much better puck management throughout. Too many icing calls, too many lost draws and not enough shot blocking. To me, a lot of this is coaching and buyin but also guys are in roles that they dont excel in.

Adding a good faceoff guy an PKer like Toews makes a lot more sense than P.Kane. Garvikov would also do wonders for our PK and is basically a VD on the left side that eats more minutes. Karlsson or Chychrun would be the home run but all would help.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Make the same deal as TOR for Kane+Lafferty

1st+2nd+3rd+4th+Foegele+Yamamoto with another team retaining a couple mil on Kane
I'm opened to doing something along those lines. Kane does have a bad hip but if he'd resign with us for cheap and gets surgery after we get rid of Yamamoto and Puljujarvi, that might work out quite nicely for next season.

We might even have cap to trade for Karlsson too at that point since that's an easier move to make with San Jose in the off season.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Team worst -11. More than double worse than the 2nd worse guy

"Jesse contributes to winning" lol

I would not want this flake back at even 850K

I want a real hockey player

Because +/- is the best indication- lol. He was asked to change his game and now leads the team in hits.

Last year he was scoring at an 18 goal pace and having the same number of EV points as Hyman. The year before was even better. He was a positive contributor on whichever line he was on shots for, high danger shots for while limiting shots against and high danger chances against. He also had a very strong GF%. Even his underlying metrics this year are good. To say he doesn’t help you win is complete bullshit. The better argument from you would have been “I don’t like him for no logical reason”

Evidence below

Add the dumbest player in the NHL

If we dont move him this year, its just a waste of 3M the rest of the year that we could have a player that makes a positive impact in the lineup.

Hes a cap dump at this point, has to be.

I’m sorry- you just don’t know hockey.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
IMHO it’s more the organization than it is the GM. The inability to make a deal especially for a quality defenseman dates back way further than Holland. It should be quite evident by now some teams have a harder time making deals than others do.

The usual suspects like the Leafs the Rangers the Bruins and the Bolts have always historically also had an easier time making moves that improve their team.

Teams like the Oilers the Sens and the Sabres among others have historically had a more difficult time making moves to improve their teams.

Everybody talks about the OBC that the NHL is and it looks like some teams are in and some are out. Some teams get help and some just don’t. The ones that don’t usually end up getting bent over no matter who is at the helm though.
The deal making also reflects the stability of those organizations, their ability to build an internal pipeline of talent and then use trades and other means to augment into competitive teams.

The Oilers sadly are into their fourth management group within their rebuild(s). At the back end of this debacle, Holland's been the little Dutch boy plugging massive holes on the NHL roster and to build up a shitty prospect pipeline despite past incredible drafting position, quality and quantity. Losing two-thirds of a veteran d-corp's core (Klefbom, Larsson) required a massive rejig while the elite forwards rocket into prime years. The d-corp is still well below the quality and diversity of defending talent required on true Cup contenders.

The Sabres, in your example, have actually turned their situation into a fast, developing team with the trades they were forced to make when their top talent wanted out of incompetent management. O'Reilly begat Thompson who is incredible and Eichel begat Tuch and Krebs. They've also drafted well with cornerstone defenders and forward with their lottery 'money.'

There's no help for any NHL team that can't help itself with smart, stable management and organizations. While those teams you mention fish for finishing pieces, the Oilers are still needing to plug big roster deficiencies to surround its super elite and the bought and paid for quality supporting cast.

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
Because +/- is the best indication- lol. He was asked to change his game and now leads the team in hits.

Last year he was scoring at an 18 goal pace and having the same number of EV points as Hyman. The year before was even better. He was a positive contributor on whichever line he was on shots for, high danger shots for while limiting shots against and high danger chances against. He also had a very strong GF%. Even his underlying metrics this year are good. To say he doesn’t help you win is complete bullshit. The better argument from you would have been “I don’t like him for no logical reason”

Evidence below

In all seriousness, I just want a guy who can actually skate properly, protect pucks properly, is more aggressive, doesn't bumble pucks or screw up most prime chances, etc.

I must be blind. I do not see even a 50% complete hockey player. he looks like he just came off of the street to me and got dressed up in an Oilers uniform.

He is so lost.

I just do not fathom what people see in this player. I don't want Yammo either. Even Foegele can't even effin protect pucks. Overskates them non stop.

i want good solid players who help us with puck possession. I would be pissed if Jp even signed for league minimum

He will be playing in Europe very soon. He won't cut it in the NHL as a regular. he doesn't have it.

Reactions: Klimando Kostani

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Evidence below

What a player wow, I mean just incredible value at 3M, just helps the team win at a rate we have never seen before. Hart trophy maps? Selke maps? Lester maps?

You should watch the game instead of banking on some map.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just as likely he would have helped us beat Chicago.
His history (with injuries) said he would likely get hurt. And he did. Can't argue with that. Trade for a guy that's a band-aid, then don't be surprised when he gets hurt.

At any rate, what's done is done.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Athanasiou straight up gor a raw deal. Was a ~23 goal scorer for the 3 seasons before Edmonton, and has been a ~22 goal (pace) scorer on the 3 seasons since Edmonton.

Was given literally 9 games playing with different linemates every night with covid happening in the middle of it. We'll never know how he could have fit into the roster because he was never really given a chance and because of his acquisition cost everyone still berates this trade even today.
I think the telling tale in all this, is the amount of teams he's been on since then. Something's up with this guy, and more and more teams are finding out about it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
"Ken Holland has a tough job." Yes, we know. He's also the highest paid GM among an already obscenely overpaid group of people.
Basically he has to be careful that Grier doesn't waste the team's time. Getting Karlsson would be such a big move, maybe needing another team involved even and so it could fall apart easily. So, we have to know if we need to switch to Chychrun or some lesser option in time. Personally I'm even warming to Gostisbehere as a puck moving LD who can play the right. Also if the price falls on Gavrikov or some other option like that, that might be a fall back.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Basically he has to be careful that Grier doesn't waste the team's time. Getting Karlsson would be such a big move, maybe needing another team involved even and so it could fall apart easily. So, we have to know if we need to switch to Chychrun or some lesser option in time. Personally I'm even warming to Gostisbehere as a puck moving LD who can play the right. Also if the price falls on Gavrikov or some other option like that, that might be a fall back.

If the price is "too dear" for Karlsson (I think the Sharks might overplay their hand and expect teams to pay more in the off-season), Gostisbehere for cheap and a better forward than they planned (if they got Karlsson) might be good. They would need to fill the hole in the off-season again, though. That's part of the appeal of Karlsson or Chychrun over Gostisbehere or Gavrikov.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
How did they show me I was wrong? I have litterally been crossing the boarder for the last year with out any issues and was asked once out of 60 times if I was vaccinated and was asked for proof. So again let me know how the proved me wrong I'll wait.
It would be when you said the restrictions were lifted and I explained to you that they aren’t. You are correct that some/most border officers don’t check but it doesn’t mean the regulation is lifted yet. They can and do ask intermittently.

I also posted a screen shot of US Consular information reaffirming this ref being in place. Anyway , clearly you aren’t going to recognize that perhaps you had misinformation and someone only wanted to advise you of the reality.

Remember your earlier post about refs being lifted? Anyway, this really isn’t what this thread is about so I’m done wasting air on you.

1676834547492.png

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
How did they show me I was wrong? I have litterally been crossing the boarder for the last year with out any issues and was asked once out of 60 times if I was vaccinated and was asked for proof. So again let me know how the proved me wrong I'll wait.
You may be required to have proof of vaccination to enter the US. Proof...wait over. "asked once out of 60 times if I was vaccinated and was asked for proof" umm, you just stated the same.
Don't know why they still have this in place and don't think it is necessary, but you can't ignore reality to fit your narrative.
In relation to Bertuzzi. I like the player, don't care if he is vaccinated or not. But as an Oilers fan, I don't want a player that may not be allowed to cross the border. Not worth the risk.
I'm guessing his known vaccination status and fame makes it more likely that they ask.
It's ok to be wrong, that's how we learn. Try being less of a dick when it happens.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I feel like Grier might try to flex as a new GM and just be over the top stubborn.

I think Leavins is guessing correctly and Grier overplays his hand and ends up selling him for less in the off-season instead of selling when players tend to go for more (TDL). Karlsson having a Norris season right now makes him more valuable than “will he do it again” in the off-season, IMO

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If the price is "too dear" for Karlsson (I think the Sharks might overplay their hand and expect teams to pay more in the off-season), Gostisbehere for cheap and a better forward than they planned (if they got Karlsson) might be good. They would need to fill the hole in the off-season again, though. That's part of the appeal of Karlsson or Chychrun over Gostisbehere or Gavrikov.
Ghost is impending UFA so I like that we don't have to commit salary long term, and retention should be a simple thing. Same for Gav, although the speculation that he will not re sign in Canada takes value away. I prefer to keep their UFA status for flexibility on our end, but I would like our team to have the option to re sign them if there is a fit. I see value in waiting to see if there is a fit, another reason why Edmondsun doesn't make sense to me

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Ghost is impending UFA so I like that we don't have to commit salary long term, and retention should be a simple thing. Same for Gav, although the speculation that he will not re sign in Canada takes value away. I prefer to keep their UFA status for flexibility on our end, but I would like our team to have the option to re sign them if there is a fit. I see value in waiting to see if there is a fit, another reason why Edmondsun doesn't make sense to me

I agree, but not sure if there is a chance the Gostisbehere re-signs here either. Florida both player that’s only played for US teams, seems like a long shot.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think Leavins is guessing correctly and Grier overplays his hand and ends up selling him for less in the off-season instead of selling when players tend to go for more (TDL). Karlsson having a Norris season right now makes him more valuable than “will he do it again” in the off-season, IMO
His value will never be higher. No way. Not to mention if he gets hurt again or something.

Anyone in sales right now would be yelling “sell sell sell!”

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
In all seriousness, I just want a guy who can actually skate properly, protect pucks properly, is more aggressive, doesn't bumble pucks or screw up most prime chances, etc.

I must be blind. I do not see even a 50% complete hockey player. he looks like he just came off of the street to me and got dressed up in an Oilers uniform.

He is so lost.

I just do not fathom what people see in this player. I don't want Yammo either. Even Foegele can't even effin protect pucks. Overskates them non stop.

i want good solid players who help us with puck possession. I would be pissed if Jp even signed for league minimum

He will be playing in Europe very soon. He won't cut it in the NHL as a regular. he doesn't have it.
Thank you for the thoughtful post, hopefully I can respond in kind.

The largest deficiency in Jesse’s game in finishing. Since this is usually the last part of the play- fans get hyper focused on it without looking at the whole context. How did he get that chance in the first place? What people see in this player is that he seems to always win the shots for and against battle and higher danger chances for and against battle. How does he do this? He creates space and time for his linemates- which he is excellent at. This is an off year for him goals wise- last year and year before he was scoring at an 18-22 goal pace.

Why fans like him with McDavid is that Jesse May whiff on 2 chances, but he’ll create space for Connor to get 4 chances. I think Rob Schremp did a bunch of videos in the lockout year showing JP taking two defensemen so McDavid can take two extra steps to the net.

I do think Woodcroft is using him incorrectly. Let him chase down the puck carrier, forecheck, etc. don’t try to turn him into a Lucic. I would love to seen him with 29/91. 29 gets owned possession wise- have JP create space, play defense, and make sure Draisaitl has the puck as much as possible. Let 29/91 handle finishing (which Draisaitl is extremely efficient at)

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
So we’re playing a man short again due to Evander Kane and Klim Kostin being out. Ken Holland needs to earn his $ and figure out this roster management thing ASAP. Figure it out. He’s costing us points in the standings.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I agree, but not sure if there is a chance the Gostisbehere re-signs here either. Florida both player that’s only played for US teams, seems like a long shot.
That makes sense but at least there are no rumors about Ghost's preferences. I doubt Arizona would tell us what he thought about it

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad