Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How Many Trades at the Draft Do You See Holland Making?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Are we the only ones who see Bouchard as a future #1-2 RHD?

Because that's what I see from him eventually. This season, after Ekholm came in, he completely transformed
No, there are more of you guys.

To a large extent Ekholm's job is covering up for Bouchard's liabilities.

In the end that was too much for Ekholm in the playoffs.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
That pair was not the reason that we struggled
There was a shitton of reasons we struggled and they all need to be acknowledged. The makeup of the team isn't right. The depth wasn't there. Half of the top six went awol. Our coach was significantly out coached. The last line of defence wasn't there either but I give Skinner a little slack because the coach coached an abysmal 5 man defensive display that should be viewed as an embarrassment to the organization.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Now do playoffs, how did that go?

Didn’t bother trying to defend against “generates nothing” I see
Yeah, they made the minutes even tougher on him than the regular season. And OIGA from the D?

Kulak - 6
Deharnais - 12
Ekholm - 14
Bouchard - 14
Ceci - 15
Nurse - 19

Again, if the players above him had to play his minutes they would have easily done worse. Heck Nurse got easier minutes and pounded even harder.

If you are expecting ANY player in the league to do those type of minutes at RD (and there are very few) and do much better, its just not likely to happen. But to single him out as the defensive reason the team did bad just does not pass the smell test.

Playing Ceci over his head is not a recipe for success, I highly agree. But putting this all on him is a bit over the top. He just is not great at those type of minutes. He is servicable is about the best you say. His really tough minutes need to be cut back at a minimum. But I do not see where there is an option for that with this D. You want a RHD that can play those minutes and provide offense? Find 8M in cap space (5 if Ceci's contract is gone) and be willing to give up Broberg and Holloway, then yes you can get a true great upgrade.

As for generate nothing, its inarguable. But in the same vain very very few players can play those type of minutes and contribute offensively. Take a look at Nurses numbers fall from when he got easy minutes to when they shifted hard. Heck with easier minutes last year Ceci got 28 points. He's generally been a top 50 RHD even strength scorer throughout his career. But when you are asked to play those minutes, the O will suffer badly. Teams that end up leaning on him too hard always find that out.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Upgrade on Ceci is the key on D.

I still say Karlsson has to be your number 1 target. Bit redundant PP wise (let the coaches figure that "problem" out). But it's not like we'd turn our noses at 74 even strength points (which he got on a poor SJS club). Staple him to Nurse so that pairing can accomplish an actual quick breakout instead of playing catch while the other team sets up their neutral zone with all day to spare.

That'd be my Plan A. Far as plan B, UFA crop is underwhelming. If we're going to add a crappy contract, maybe we look at some trade candidates with something to prove?

Is Parayko washed? Seems he's being written off lately as an asset, but he's only 30, might just need a change of scenery. Signed long term to a bit of a rough cap hit (i think 6.5?). St Louis is in a bit of a rebuild, and value is not going to be sky high on him right now. They'd take money back on lesser term like Ceci/Foegele plus extras, maybe some minor retention on Parayko like 5-10%.

Someone like Pulock in NYI? Off year overall, similar age/contract situation to Parayko, but maybe the Islanders are looking to shake something up there, it's gotten pretty stale for them. Again, crappy contract, but you're getting that with a fresh UFA signing too and a name like Severson is similar anyways. At least this way, there's some money out.

Three names I'd rather see beside Nurse than Ceci, that's for sure. And I think the other GM's pick up the phone given the nature of the outgoing contracts. If you make the money swing a bit, it's our window right? Might as well go for some names that are clear upgrades now, worry about the bad contracts in a couple years.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
There was a shitton of reasons we struggled and they all need to be acknowledged. The makeup of the team isn't right. The depth wasn't there. Half of the top six went awol. Our coach was significantly out coached. The last line of defence wasn't there either but I give Skinner a little slack because the coach coached an abysmal 5 man defensive display that should be viewed as an embarrassment to the organization.
We gave the team who will likely win the cup, their toughest series.

Some improvements need to be made, but this is a bit much. I thought we had all calmed down from the loss by now.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I see we are back to beating up Skinner. Skinner was a rookie goalie who should never of been left to carry most of the work in the playoffs. Campbell crapped the bed so bad Woodcroft would even give him a game in the playoffs. This is on Holland not the goalie or the coach. Also why is everyone singing the Bouchard tune when he was a -4 in the playoffs?

We need a top pairing 2 way RHD man and a 1 goalie to let Skinner continue to develop. We need to create cap space to get what we need.

Out 14,000,000 worth of crap
Campbell
Yamamoto
Kulak good player but with Nurse Ekholm we can afford to let Broberg develop in the NHL
Ceci

Keep
Bjugstad or Mcleod
1 rookie
1a goalie
Ekholm like RHD
I have warmed up to Anderson from Montreal. Maybe Campbell + Bourgault gets it done.

RNH McD Hyman
Kane Draisaitl Anderson that 2nd line would be a handful and would even work with RNH as the centre with 2 rugged wingers flanking him

I still say Karlsson has to be your number 1 target. Bit redundant PP wise (let the coaches figure that "problem" out). But it's not like we'd turn our noses at 74 even strength points (which he got on a poor SJS club). Staple him to Nurse so that pairing can accomplish an actual quick breakout instead of playing catch while the other team sets up their neutral zone with all day to spare.

That'd be my Plan A. Far as plan B, UFA crop is underwhelming. If we're going to add a crappy contract, maybe we look at some trade candidates with something to prove?

Is Parayko washed? Seems he's being written off lately as an asset, but he's only 30, might just need a change of scenery. Signed long term to a bit of a rough cap hit (i think 6.5?). St Louis is in a bit of a rebuild, and value is not going to be sky high on him right now. They'd take money back on lesser term like Ceci/Foegele plus extras, maybe some minor retention on Parayko like 5-10%.

Someone like Pulock in NYI? Off year overall, similar age/contract situation to Parayko, but maybe the Islanders are looking to shake something up there, it's gotten pretty stale for them. Again, crappy contract, but you're getting that with a fresh UFA signing too and a name like Severson is similar anyways. At least this way, there's some money out.

Three names I'd rather see beside Nurse than Ceci, that's for sure. And I think the other GM's pick up the phone given the nature of the outgoing contracts. If you make the money swing a bit, it's our window right? Might as well go for some names that are clear upgrades now, worry about the bad contracts in a couple years.
Parayko back is shot.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Pulock is very interesting and I'd be 100% down for him. He has a great first pass and a hell of a shot.

Parayko as well. His value is most likely down

We gave the team who will likely win the cup, their toughest series.

Some improvements need to be made, but this is a bit much. I thought we had all calmed down from the loss by now.
I think the fans are still jumping off bridges because Vegas is in the Final but are failing to see that Vegas was the most frustrated, furious, nervous and scared in the series against Edmonton. That should be telling us something.

We are not that far off from being a top contender

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think right now they're a team that can talent their way through the regular season well enough and get through 1 or 2 playoff rounds ... but after that it becomes tough sledding. Too many areas of weakness a smart opponent can exploit, and you're eventually going to run into a smart opponent with talent of their own.

Can you imagine if Connor/Leon got to play a playoff round against a D Corps of Nurse/Ceci/Ekholm/Bouchard/Desharnais/Kulak/Broberg and Skinner in net?

They'd murder that group, lol.

Vegas looked like they were in big trouble just with Brossoit (Skinner equivalent stinkers) in and nothing else changed.

Damn Vegas' management for being smart enough to stock pile potential goalie options like Hill who's had sneaky good numbers of bad teams all his career. That's what happens when a management group goes the extra little mile to make sure they have options to work with, if that was the Oilers they would've just banked on Tage Thompson and then Broissoit/Quick, but Hill is probably not in the mix.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
@Soundwave could you imagine how much you would complained if we had walked into the regular season with Logan Thompson and Laurent Broissoit as our tandem?

The amount of backpeddling you've made in this thread when it comes to goaltenders is obvious. I thought it was only the elites that you could bank on. 'Sneaky good' stats? Really?

Regardless of what 'the management' would have done in terms of goaltending depth this year, they never dealt with the injuries Vegas did. So your third and fourth string goalies never would've touched the ice in Edmonton.

Pickard himself has been a solid minor league starter for years and who's to say he wouldn't have run with it if both our starters went down in the playoffs? The only thing trading for a guy like Adin Hill would've done for us would leave a goaltender without any games to play. Because we're currently developing one who we spent a pretty significant draft pick on and he had a very solid year.

Vegas gave Jiri Patera games this year. That's how thin they were stretched at times. And a big reason was how limited their options were by LTI. But they still supported whoever was in net well because the team in front of them was well structured.

The team is far more important than who you put in the crease. If your team cannot outclass their opponents, your goaltending will frequently fail you.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
@Soundwave could you imagine how much you would complained if we had walked into the regular season with Logan Thompson and Laurent Broissoit as our tandem?

The amount of backpeddling you've made in this thread when it comes to goaltenders is obvious. I thought it was only the elites that you could bank on. 'Sneaky good' stats? Really?

Regardless of what 'the management' would have done in terms of goaltending depth this year, they never dealt with the injuries Vegas did. So your third and fourth string goalies never would've touched the ice in Edmonton.

Pickard himself has been a solid minor league starter for years and who's to say he wouldn't have run with it if both our starters went down in the playoffs? The only thing trading for a guy like Adin Hill would've done for us would leave a goaltender without any games to play. Because we're currently developing one who we spent a pretty significant draft pick on and he had a very solid year.

Vegas gave Jiri Patera games this year. That's how thin they were stretched at times. And a big reason was how limited their options were by LTI. But they still supported whoever was in net well because the team in front of them was well structured.

The team is far more important than who you put in the crease. If your team cannot outclass their opponents, your goaltending will frequently fail you.

Vegas is either lucky or their scouting is just that good ... they keep finding good players again and again at every position. 2 Finals appearances, several Conference Finals, top record in the division multiple times, their management team is just the cream of the division by a mile.

And I'm not really sure Hill is all a product of their D because Broissoit looked as leaky as the Titanic behind the same exact defence, if we could have kept him in net we might even eek that series out (which again tells you how important goaltending is). Skinner vs. Broissoit looked like two mediocre goalies going against each other, and then the moment Hill stepped in net it was very obvious the tenor of the series changed a lot.

With goalies I think if you're not going to get a slam dunk option or your slam dunk is injured/out, then the next best strategy I think is to cycle in a bunch of replaceable, intelligently scouted options and see who takes the reigns.

So many of Vegas' roster swings are base hits or home runs, that just doesn't happen for us, we end up betting on crap like the Koskinens of the world and then riding them for years quite often hoping they can "figure it out". Now we're right back after getting out of Koskinen's contract in the same situation, hoping Campbell or Skinner can "figure it out" for the coming season. Gets frustrating to say the least. I wish our pro scouts for f***ing once could get it right with a goalie without all these massive headaches.

Last edited:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Regarding Parayko, as Mcsuper stated above, his back is shot. His mobility is compromised and has had to completely change his game over the last couple of years, and his effectiveness(especially defensively) has taken a major dump. Whoever takes him off the Blue's hands is getting a major albatross.

It's telling that a team is dumping a 30 year old defenseman, and if rumors are correct, are desperate enough to get rid of him that they're willing to retain on a contact that has 7 years left.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Ottawa wants to move Debrincat. I imagine reuniting him with McDavid is a pipe dream...

What would it take beyond Yamamoto to make it work from an asset value and cap perspective?

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And on cue Roy scores for Vegas lol

Their management team just poops out diamonds huh.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022

So why zero in on this specific player? Why not first dump our bad contracts/players THEN if he still shows signs of struggling, we then look to move him. And I don't even mean struggling mightily, I mean a still young player coming into his prime soon.

The team was hurting for some young offence from the back end for a decade. We have one now and we should trade him?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ottawa wants to move Debrincat. I imagine reuniting him with McDavid is a pipe dream...

What would it take beyond Yamamoto to make it work from an asset value and cap perspective?
He is going to make like 6-8 mill over term. We can only add him if one of Kane, RNH or Hyman are leaving.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Good management is such a cheat code in the NHL, the best management groups are probably Vegas, Colorado, and Tampa Bay (Yzerman era), and guess who's won the last 3 Cups and the which way the 4th one is going.

He is going to make like 6-8 mill over term. We can only add him if one of Kane, RNH or Hyman are leaving.

We chose Tyler Benson (3 career points for the Oilers) over Debrincat even though we knew 100% he had great chemistry with McDavid.

200w.gif

2016 draft will go down as one of the biggest disasters in Oilers drafting history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Good management is such a cheat code in the NHL, the best management groups are probably Vegas, Colorado, and Tampa Bay (Yzerman era), and guess who's won the last 3 Cups and the which way the 4th one is going.

We chose Tyler Benson (3 career points for the Oilers) over Debrincat even though we knew 100% he had great chemistry with McDavid.

200w.gif

2016 draft will go down as one of the biggest disasters in Oilers drafting history.
mad-max-warrior.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Yamamoto, Ceci (the prodigal son returns?), Foegele, Bourgault and Broberg?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers blew a chance at a Cup Final, maybe a Cup because they bet the farm spending $7.6 million on the Campbell/Skinner goaltending combo which set off a chain reaction of poopy leading straight into round 2 of the playoffs.

genius-ryan-reynolds-deadpool-2-n8vrcqd754zj4vno.gif

Reactions: McHelpus

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
And on cue Roy scores for Vegas lol

Their management team just poops out diamonds huh.
I know. I always go do a double take. Never heard of this Amadio either. So many of these "no namers" look much better than most of our depth guys

Wish it was RNH, but he will retire here

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I know. I always go do a double take. Never heard of this Amadio either. So many of these "no namers" look much better than most of our depth guys

Yup, they just randomly pull all these productive players out of nowhere again and again. Just top level management, can't even be mad about it, McCrimmon and co. just GMing their asses off down there.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Yup, they just randomly pull all these productive players out of nowhere again and again. Just top level management, can't even be mad about it, McCrimmon and co. just GMing their asses off down there.
Yeah, they are built well. I watch them and never see guys f**king up much with basic things, etc like I see our players doing lol. They just play good proper structured hockey. I scratch my head at at least 1/4 of the tings our players do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad