Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How Many Trades at the Draft Do You See Holland Making?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If Campbell was a UFA this offseason what's the hightest AAV you could see him sign for on a 4 year deal? $1M? That's a $16M differential you need to account for in cap for a trade. Would need to add ~3 AAA assets to the equation for any trade if you're still going by the 1st rounder/$6M ratio.

He would be vastly cheaper next season to move when there's only 3 years left and the cap is bumped up to $93M.
Change the defensive structure in front of Jack Campbell and he's .910 SV%.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo it's a personel issue.

The unfortunate thing is that we will likely take a step back this offseason with the plan of going for a strong trade deadline. We just cannot afford a true difference maker at full price, and all the cap we'd like to trade out likely cannot be moved due to the log jams in the market and NTCs

Reactions: McDoused

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd be interested in Carter Hart just because of the fit. Good buds with Skinner, local product, still just 24, connections to guys inside the organization...

Just can't see them pulling the plug on Campbell that quickly, even if the buyout isn't terrible.

The unfortunate thing is that we will likely take a step back this offseason with the plan of going for a strong trade deadline. We just cannot afford a true difference maker at full price, and all the cap we'd like to trade out likely cannot be moved due to the log jams in the market and NTCs
A step back from what? We played the majority of last season without Mattias Ekholm.

You're getting a season of growth from your younger players. You're probably upgrading on a guy like Kailer Yamamoto. Where are they downgrading other than depth pieces they didn't have for the majority of the year?

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

This is the logical course of action. The beauty is that if we go all in this deadline with UFAs, the cap will go up for next year (let's say 5M). We will then have room to sign those UFAs if they pan out or replace them with someone else during free agency. Meanwhile a team like LA is having problems fitting guys in with only a 1M increase.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd be interested in Carter Hart just because of the fit. Good buds with Skinner, local product, still just 24, connections to guys inside the organization...

Just can't see them pulling the plug on Campbell that quickly, even if the buyout isn't terrible.

A step back from what? We played the majority of last season without Mattias Ekholm.

You're getting a season of growth from your younger players. You're probably upgrading on a guy like Kailer Yamamoto. Where are they downgrading other than depth pieces they didn't have for the majority of the year?
That's true about Ekholm. I meant a step back from how we ended the playoffs. I do think that's what most people mean as we are all wondering what upgrades the team can make to make a further playoff push.

I do hope that the team does not ride the playoff line all season again. We need to challenge for the division from the get go.

Reactions: belair and McDoused

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That's true about Ekholm. I meant a step back from how we ended the playoffs. I do think that's what most people mean as we are all wondering what upgrades the team can make to make a further playoff push.
I think the big mistake that people make every offseason is that they can't detach from the team that was just eliminated. When that series is done, they're 82 games away from getting back to Game One of the first round. A lot changes in between.

Teams that are close don't generally make significant shifts in their approach. It's in their best interest to grow as a group. And from a financial standpoint, it's good to have cap space available at the beginning of the regular season so you can have some flexibility at the deadline.

And at the deadline, you have a much better picture of what your immediate roster is lacking with what happened in previous playoff runs still in mind. Big offseason moves are generally for longer-term commitments. And I imagine the majority of them don't come up aces.
I do hope that the team does not ride the playoff line all season again. We need to challenge for the division from the get go.
I agree that this team needs to give the elites a bit of a break in terms of how much they're needed to win in the regular season. Getting a non-McDrai line rolling will push this team far.

As for division placement, yeah, it'd be nice to win it. But I'm of the belief that you just need to get in. Stay healthy and don't burn out your big horses.

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Our team is broken more than Jack Campbell is broken.

As much as Dustin Schwartz needs to go so does Jay Woodcroft's worthless defensive game approach.

It works against the bottom third talent thin teams and during the lesser contested regular season games but it is the league's number one joke in the postseason. This is understood overwhelmingly by the fans of other teams. You won't have to look long to find the laughter and it is justified.

The power play is fine. That is universally understood but the rest of the clubs faults are not acknowledged.

As bad as our pro scouting is our amateur scouting is even worse.

Trade our magic beans while we still can get something for them, they'll amount to little.

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Dustin Schwartz works with Carter Hart in the summers so it would be comical to me if we traded for Hart since he’s just another one of Schwartz’s victims. I guess on the positive side he’s already been ruined but I wouldn’t put it past Schwartz to ruin him some more :laugh:

Reactions: CookiesAndMilk

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Tom Gazzola says don't count on Hart to Edmonton.

But he also said Hall was building a house in Edmonton and moving here so..
i don’t think a new goalie is in the summer plans but at the same time if hart is available and interested you have to give it a go. Sounds like there is some framework of a trade happening with a team in the league.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023

Do not see Milk Carton Hopkins repeating last year. DO not see Hyman repeating last year. Don't see Mcdavid repeating last year. Skinner could go down after his atrocious playoffs. Lets see how he is mentally. Jack could stay the same or go up, who the f*** knows.

I see regression in production, but if every guy commits to playing a structured game, I could see us still winning a division.

Do we have the coach and players to do this? I don't think so

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Gazzola also said Oilers will have a quiet Summer most likely.

He's usually wrong so that better be the case. I DON'T WANT QUIET I WANT HOLLAND TO TAKE THE RISK AND GO FOR THE f***ING JUGULAR

I WANT THE CUP. NOT A TAMBELLINI LIKE SUMMER

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Gazzola also said Oilers will have a quiet Summer most likely.

He's usually wrong so that better be the case. I DON'T WANT QUIET I WANT HOLLAND TO TAKE THE RISK AND GO FOR THE f***ING JUGULAR

I WANT THE CUP. NOT A TAMBELLINI LIKE SUMMER

Gazzola is reliable for new jersey drops, that's about it. That said, it wouldn't shock me if it's "quiet"

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Skinner had the same defensive structure in front of him and he had a .914 SV%

Gazzola is reliable for new jersey drops, that's about it. That said, it wouldn't shock me if it's "quiet"

Gazzola also said JP would be gone before the season started last year. He also said only “tinkering” at the deadline. He isn’t connected anymore

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Ceci, Yamamoto and Foegele out.

Ryan - 775k x 1 year
Shore - 775k x 1 year
Kostin - 1M x 2 years
Janmark - 1.1M x 2 years
McLeod - 1.25M x 2 years
Bjugstad- 1.75M x 3 years
Brown - 1.5M x 1 year (plus bonuses)
Bouchard - 3.25M x 2 years
Mayfield - 4.25M x 4 years

Kane-McDavid-Brown
RNH-Draisaitl-Hyman
Holloway-McLeod-Ryan
Kostin-Bjugstad-Janmark
Shore

Nurse-Mayfield
Ekholm-Bouchard
Broberg-Kulak
Desharnais

Campbell
Skinner

22 man roster with 150k salary remaining

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Sure, the expansion rules helped but you still need pro scouts with the ability to identify guys like Marchessault, Smith, Theodore and Tuch and be able to execute those trades. They fed off of errors by those management teams (Anaheim, Florida, Minny) but they took advantage. They always seem to find players that overachieve like the previous ones mentioned, very Tampa-like in that respect.
Hmmmm….I wonder what Tampa and Vegas have in common…a huge analytics department

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Skinner had the same defensive structure in front of him and he had a .914 SV%
Actually if you were paying close attention you would have notice a difference in the defensive coverage when the two goaltenders played.

Notably when Ekholm first arrived but that wasn't the only occurrence of the defensive system differing between when Skinner and Campbell were in net.

The Oilers played a tighter system many of the games Skinner was involved in.

When Campbell was playing, it was more open, the team was looking for the quick touch breakout for more offense touches.

The team cheated high and was on the wrong side of the puck at a higher rate of occurrence when Campbell was the starting goaltender. Thus the Rocket Richard for Connor.

Last edited:

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Our team is broken more than Jack Campbell is broken.

As much as Dustin Schwartz needs to go so does Jay Woodcroft's worthless defensive game approach.

It works against the bottom third talent thin teams and during the lesser contested regular season games but it is the league's number one joke in the postseason. This is understood overwhelmingly by the fans of other teams. You won't have to look long to find the laughter and it is justified.

The power play is fine. That is universally understood but the rest of the clubs faults are not acknowledged.

As bad as our pro scouting is our amateur scouting is even worse.

Trade our magic beans while we still can get something for them, they'll amount to little.

Doesn’t Woodcroft have the second best coaching record in the NHL since being hired?

Actually if you were paying close attention you would have notice a difference in the defensive coverage when the two goaltenders played.

Notably when Ekholm first arrived but that wasn't the only occurrence of the defensive system differing between when Skinner and Campbell were in net.

The Oilers played a tighter system many of the games Skinner was involved in.

When Campbell was playing, it was more open, the team was looking for the quick touch breakout for more offense touches.

The team cheated high and was on the wrong side of the puck at a higher rate of occurrence when Campbell was the starting goaltender. Thus the Rocket Richard for Connor.

Care to back that up with evidence?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Imagine if we moved Nurse to Philly just so that every game they could say that he's Donovan McNabb's nephew! :lol:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Ceci, Yamamoto and Foegele out.

Ryan - 775k x 1 year
Shore - 775k x 1 year
Kostin - 1M x 2 years
Janmark - 1.1M x 2 years
McLeod - 1.25M x 2 years
Bjugstad- 1.75M x 3 years
Brown - 1.5M x 1 year (plus bonuses)
Bouchard - 3.25M x 2 years
Mayfield - 4.25M x 4 years

Kane-McDavid-Brown
RNH-Draisaitl-Hyman
Holloway-McLeod-Ryan
Kostin-Bjugstad-Janmark
Shore

Nurse-Mayfield
Ekholm-Bouchard
Broberg-Kulak
Desharnais

Campbell
Skinner

22 man roster with 150k salary remaining
Let Ryan walk
Let Shore walk
Let Janmark walk

Trade Foegele for what you can get
Trade Ceci for what you can get

Trade McLeod for the right return
Trade Bouchard for the right return

Buyout Yamamoto

Kostin and Bjugstad re-signs A-OK

Brown and *Mayfield signings A-OK

Retool, find other role players to fill out the roster more conducive to winning in the playoffs. Brown and Mayfield are good starts. A little worried that Mayfield may age like Myers. Careful with the money and term.

Reactions: McHelpus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad