Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How Many Trades at the Draft Do You See Holland Making?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Helleybuch makes just over 6 now lol u think he only gonna get a 10 percent bump on his cap hit lololol

Going from 6 to 9 mill per is a pay raise.

The later years are just to artificially lower the cap hit, don't think he gives that much of a f*** what he gets paid at age 37/38. 4.5 mill at that age if he's not retired is plenty.

Think of this way, it's a 9 mill x 5 year contract with a 5x3 contract attached to that after when he's 36/37 years old.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Yeah but I think they're actually willing to pay a big price to get there and have a good enough team already to plausibly pull it off. Every team wants that shit, most haven't put in the work and aren't willing to pay the price to get there though.

So is Edmonton they just traded for Ekholm who has term. They didnt just spend assets to bring in rentals. Meanwhile LA did just that by bringing in Korpisalo and Gavrikov. Now they had to move even more assets to dump contracts to try and make room for them.

As of right now Edmonton is the same team that lost to Vegas. They still have Ekholm under contract while LA is worse right now. Even if they sign Gavrikov and re-up Vilardi they arent any better.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Going from 6 to 9 mill per is a pay raise.

The later years are just to artificially lower the cap hit, don't think he gives that much of a f*** what he gets paid at age 37/38. 4.5 mill at that age if he's not retired is plenty.
Yeah I get it. But he is gonna want a few of those years to touch dd salary I'm sure esp on 8 year deal

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah I get it. But he is gonna want a few of those years to touch dd salary I'm sure esp on 8 year deal

Add in the factor of being able to play in sunny LA for a contender versus ... Winnipeg.

To be honest it can be a little higher, LA has tons of cap room the following year and the cap will be rising, so it doesn't matter. Just saying the base of the contract can work like that.

When you have 30/31 year olds that 8 year contract term can really work well, because players are not that hung up on what they get paid at age 37/38, they know by then they are going to be in the twilight of their career if they're not just flat out retired.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Think LA has bigger aspirations than that. Helleybuck or Gibson. They want to be where Vegas is now next season, not wait 2-3 years.
I don't doubt they've got bigger aspirations. They've got a ton of trade capital to work with, a lot of cap opening up beyond next season and some significant prospects to work into their roster. They're positioned well.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So is Edmonton they just traded for Ekholm who has term. They didnt just spend assets to bring in rentals. Meanwhile LA did just that by bringing in Korpisalo and Gavrikov. Now they had to move even more assets to dump contracts to try and make room for them.

As of right now Edmonton is the same team that lost to Vegas. They still have Ekholm under contract while LA is worse right now. Even if they sign Gavrikov and re-up Vilardi they arent any better.
Just think of the amount of capital they spent to just get Gavrikov locked up to term if that's what they ultimately do.

LA is loaded to the teeth with tradeable assets, mind you. If they want Hallebuyck, they'll pay him.

Reactions: McDoused

North

Jun 25, 2009
Just think of the amount of capital they spent to just get Gavrikov locked up to term if that's what they ultimately do.

LA is loaded to the teeth with tradeable assets, mind you. If they want Hallebuyck, they'll pay him.

I’d be surprised if Winnipeg doesn’t trade Hellebuyck to the East.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
So do 31 other teams. What does this even mean?

Just go cheer for the kings until Edmonton beats them for a 3rd straight year.
He could cheer for any other 31 teams and be comfortable, by the way he poops on the Oilers. Weird flex to spend so much time here in the Oilers HF Board space given the complete hate for the org.

Reactions: McDoused

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Wasn't Jake Oettinger the goaltender we were supposed to be shitting our pants over? Well he got lit the f*** up by Vegas. So badly he won't be the same.

Wasn't Sergei Bobrovsky putting on the all time greatest playoff performance by a goaltender ever witnessed in the NHL? The goaltender currently getting lit the f*** up by Vegas.

You guys it's a systems thing. Bruce Cassidy and the Golden Knights are putting on the clinic. The team some of you figure the Oilers are better than.

Time to get real boys. And yeah, Connor Hellebuyck just got lit the f*** up by Vegas. :)

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I would agree that if LA wants to overpay for Hellebuyck they have the assets to do it but are running out of capital with the way they are making trades. You have to think Byfield and Clarke are off the table. I imagine a trade would have to be at least the 2024 1st, Turcotte and someone like RV or Iafallo for cap purposes. If they do go all in, their isnt a ton of prospects left in the system.

Reactions: belair

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Wasn't Jake Oettinger the goaltender we were supposed to be shitting our pants over? Well he got lit the f*** up by Vegas. So badly he won't be the same.

Wasn't Sergei Bobrovsky putting on the all time greatest playoff performance by a goaltender ever witnessed in the NHL? The goaltender currently getting lit the f*** up by Vegas.

You guys it's a systems thing. Bruce Cassidy and the Golden Knights are putting on the clinic. The team some of you figure the Oilers are better than.

Time to get real boys. And yeah, Connor Hellebuyck just got lit the f*** up by Vegas. :)
Oettinger was still injured from a regular season injury.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think it has a lot more to do with the rules of the expansion draft and their desirability as a location for players.

As I said their pro scouts have made some solid choices, but they were not really doing so in a way that other teams had the option to duplicate. From the expansion draft they got both Smith and Marchessault for a 4th round pick, Theodore for nothing. They got Karlsson for selecting Clayton Stoner. Minnesota gave them Tuch, a key piece in getting Eichel and Haula for a 3rd. Pittsburgh gave them both Fleury and a 2nd for free. They also got Carrier. They then had Stone, Eichel and AP pretty much choose them. Who are the main additions since then that required sharp professional scouts?

Like Seattle, Vegas had a massive head start.
Sure, the expansion rules helped but you still need pro scouts with the ability to identify guys like Marchessault, Smith, Theodore and Tuch and be able to execute those trades. They fed off of errors by those management teams (Anaheim, Florida, Minny) but they took advantage. They always seem to find players that overachieve like the previous ones mentioned, very Tampa-like in that respect.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Sure, the expansion rules helped but you still need pro scouts with the ability to identify guys like Marchessault, Smith, Theodore and Tuch and be able to execute those trades. They fed off of errors by those management teams (Anaheim, Florida, Minny) but they took advantage. They always seem to find players that overachieve like the previous ones mentioned, very Tampa-like in that respect.
Gary-Bettman.ashx

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
And that totally can't happen again, right?

Vegas doesn't just have a "well run organization". They have a real case for being the best run organization in the league, flat out.

I'd say Lehner (when he's healthy) is also better than any goalie the Oilers have had post the "one good year of Talbot". We get "joy" like years of Mikko Koskinen, praying that Mike Smith's 90 year old body doesn't fall apart, and this wonderful season of having the distinct pleasure of the shittiest starter in the regular season followed up by the shittiest starter through 2 playoff rounds until it was finally too much and the team got eliminated, lol.

Our goaltending situation maybe aside from like one season of Talbot and like some spurts from grandpa Smith has been ass since like 2006 basically. For whatever reason or excuse one wants to make, this team just cannot figure out that position, even when we get "talented" goalies, they mentally collapse. Poorly constructed blue lines with frauds like Nurse trying to "lead" them is also probably a big part of the issue.
The thing is no goalie acquisition can prevent that from happening again, as much as you want to act like Nostradamus and say if we acquire goalie X, that will lead us to the promised land goaltending remains unpredictable.

I also think to help illustrate this I'll rate Hellebuyck playoff performances in order:
In 2017-18 he was Very Good
In 2018-19 he was just OK
In 2019-20 he was Bad
In 2020-21 he was Great
In 2002-23 he was Terrible

In short 2 performances we would be happy with, one that was fine, and two that were bad, culminating in him being the great goalie that will save us about 40% of the time.

Would I feel a lot better if our high priced goalie was Hellebuyck rather than Campbell, sure, but it's not that black and white of a question, the acquisition cost for Hellebuyck is likely significant and the cost of moving out Campbells salary would likely be a headache coming off the season he just had and further complicated by his NTC.

I'm of the preference of just changing one variable in our goalie coach and then re-evaluating as the season goes by, based on what we see we can make the call if an upgrade on Ceci or goaltending is a more pressing need at the deadline. I wouldn't turn a blind eye to the offseason goalie wheeling and dealing and I'd keep an open mind, but I'm not frothing at the mouth for a goalie upgrade like you are.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

This is honestly where I think goaltending should be our last focus this summer.

It absolutely could have been better. But if we can improve the scoring a defensive depth even more, it is a more realistic approach, that may also improve the quality and quantity of chances that our goaltending faces.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Have tuned out hockey completely since we were eliminated. The rumor mill pulls me back in
I thought it was the deep and intellectual dialogue on HFBoards. Go figure.

I’ll probably be roasted on this, and hopefully I do because I don’t think we make any change. But I don’t see us winning with skinner/Campbell unless skinner makes a big step forward.

I like skinner but he was victimized in the playoffs.

I would do whatever to get Hellebuyck on this team.
I think Campbell needs to make a bigger step forward thank Skinner for this team to have success. Hellebuyck ain’t coming here.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
If Campbell was a UFA this offseason what's the hightest AAV you could see him sign for on a 4 year deal? $1M? That's a $16M differential you need to account for in cap for a trade. Would need to add ~3 AAA assets to the equation for any trade if you're still going by the 1st rounder/$6M ratio.

He would be vastly cheaper next season to move when there's only 3 years left and the cap is bumped up to $93M.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad