Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How Many Trades at the Draft Do You See Holland Making?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holland thinks he can cheap out on goaltending because he won in Detroit with budget bin goalies. It’s not like a roster of hall of famers that featured some of the best Russian and Swedish players ever n hockey history to go with Yzerman had anything to do with it.

Pretty much yeah, Holland has rarely been able to find goaltending even in his hey days. Got Hasek when Hasek was like a senior citizen, but generally Holland is a GM that doesn't find goalies because he lived the charmed life of having Nik Lidstrom solidify his blue line for years.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How's about we trade Nurse instead? I'd rather do that and find someone else to fill that gap. Nurse is what he is at this point and he's never once elevated his game when it matters. He got his fat paycheck and he's content to ride off into the sunset with it.
No one will want him unless we take someone on an even worse deal back. Here's to hoping that he has some pride and actually works hard on his game this offseason and comes back a lot better than he was this season. If he doesn't he will be nothing more than an overpaid boat anchor.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No one will want him unless we take someone on an even worse deal back. Here's to hoping that he has some pride and actually works hard on his game this offseason and comes back a lot better than he was this season. If he doesn't he will be nothing more than an overpaid boat anchor.
He hasn’t done that since he was extended so I don’t know why he’d start now.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Part of what makes Vegas' management so effective too is they leave their feelings by the wayside. If you're not good enough for the team out you go. They were criticized at the time for basically giving Pacioretty away but seeing as his career is essentially over they look like geniuses. Vegas doesn't believe in crap like feel good stories or loyalty, they believe in winning and will do anything to achieve that goal. After how poorly many Oilers performed in these playoffs, a Vegas style management would likely burn bridges with most of the underachievers regardless of the price. Imagine if the Oilers could clear out 2 out of Hyman, Nuge, or Nurse...
They can get away with this because older players want to play in Vegas.

Who are the guys making $5M or less that would improve the team over Hyman and Nurse? You clearly think that all that matters is the last few games of a team's season. Follow this route and you wuld quickly have the team back in the decade of darkness.

Reactions: GOilers88

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A good GM makes it happen.
Think about this. You get rid of Nurse (a near impossible task) and you need someone to replace him. It cost the Oilers 2 first rounders to get Ekholm. A player who isn’t actually better than Nurse.

Let’s say you can dump Nurses contract.
Now what? You have to find a real willing to trade a guy who can step in and replace Nurses 24 minutes a night against other teams best players while putting up 40 ES points a year. And you’re not any further ahead anywhere else on the roster and it’s cost you a mountain of assets.

There is certainly no dman available in free agency who can do what Nurse does for the Oilers.

The whole notion of it is idiotic.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Think about this. You get rid of Nurse (a near impossible task) and you need someone to replace him. It cost the Oilers 2 first rounders to get Ekholm. A player who isn’t actually better than Nurse.

Now what? You have to find a real willing to trade a guy who can step in and replace Nurses 24 minutes a night against other teams best players while putting up 40 ES points a year. And you’re not any further ahead anywhere else on the roster and it’s cost you a mountain of assets.

There is certainly no dman available in free agency who can do what Nurse does for the Oilers.

While I agree with almost everything here I think Ekholm is better than Nurse

Reactions: McSuper and Kolja

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They can get away with this because older players want to play in Vegas.

Who are the guys making $5M or less that would improve the team over Hyman and Nurse? You clearly think that all that matters is the last few games of a team's season. Follow this route and you wuld quickly have the team back in the decade of darkness.
It’s pretty clear this “core” or whatever you want to call it isn’t going to win us the Cup. Some shakeups need to happen. Going back with the same group will give us the same result. It’s been 8 years of this and they’ve made the CF once in that span.

Ekholm is absolutely better than Nurse. If we have to spend our firsts until 2030 then make something happen. What does Nurse do so well that makes him irreplaceable?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It’s pretty clear this “core” or whatever you want to call it isn’t going to win us the Cup. Some shakeups need to happen. Going back with the same group will give us the same result. It’s been 8 years of this and they’ve made the CF once in that span.

Ekholm is absolutely better than Nurse. If we have to spend our firsts until 2030 then make something happen. What does Nurse do so well that makes him irreplaceable?
Nurse plays 24 minutes a night against other teams best players and comes out ahead and consistently puts up elite offensive production at 5v5.

Are you deliberately being obtuse? We have Cody f***ing Ceci on the top pairing. This is a guy who at his best has been a 4/5 D-man in this league. And your solution isn’t upgrade on him. But to just give away the best (or second best if you prefer Ekholm) D-man on the team.

As I said, it’s idiotic.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oh look, a team that's doing something about their goaltending and moving a mistake contract out. Must be nice.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
If Vegas does win the Cup, would that be the fastest time an expansion team (non-WHL) has won a championship in any of the major pro sports in North America (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL)?

This is their 6th season?

The other crazy thing is they only have like 4 or 5 players left from their expansion draft ... Marchessault, Smith, Karlsson, Theodore ... anyone else? So they basically completely remodeled a team that went to a Cup Final in year 1.
Jump on the bandwagon and cheer for Vegas then. What are you doing here?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nurse plays 24 minutes a night against other teams best players and comes out ahead and consistently puts up elite offensive production at 5v5.

Are you deliberately being obtuse? We have Cody f***ing Ceci on the top pairing. This is a guy who at his best has been a 4/5 D-man in this league. And your solution isn’t upgrade on him. But to just give away the best (or second best if you prefer Ekholm) D-man on the team.

As I said, it’s idiotic.
And yet he and Ceci were absolutely caved by Vegas. Nurse should be elevating his partner, shouldn’t he? And then there’s the Nurse-isms that happen every game: bad icings, poor passes, losing his head in key moments… I certainly agree we should upgrade on Ceci but Nurse has never elevated his game come playoff time.

Nurse may be “the best” D on the team (I don’t think he is), but would you call him a great D man? I mean if he’s that good then trading him should net something of value, right? We have seen this player for basically a decade now and he’s a glorified Staios. He had his chance to make an impact and in the final game he puts up a -3. Regular season means little when you’re on the wrong end of a beat down come playoff time.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I’ll probably be roasted on this, and hopefully I do because I don’t think we make any change. But I don’t see us winning with skinner/Campbell unless skinner makes a big step forward.

I like skinner but he was victimized in the playoffs.

I would do whatever to get Hellebuyck on this team.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This is the one thing I agree with you on.
Sure, Vegas had the gift of Pietrangelo wanting to be there and them being on Eichel's to trade list but their roster is filled with guys that are diamonds in the rough. Stevenson, Roy and Amadio were all picked up off the scrap heap. Marchessault, Smith and Karlsson were all throwaways, got a bit lucky that the Panthers and Ducks were idiots at the expansion draft (protecting Petrovic lol and Vatanen over Theodore) but that pro scouting department is aces. Just night and day from what the Oilers have been for years.
I think the Oilers have found two diamonds in the rough in the last million years. Maroon and Kostin, Glencross? who they threw away anyway. Vegas finds one or two of these guys every year seemingly.
It's not like every move they made has come up roses. They basically got 1 1/2 solid but not exceptional years out of Pacioretty at the cost of Nick Suzuki. The trade for Eichel cost them Tuch who just put up a season with 36 goals and 79 points in 74 games, a 16th overall pick and Krebs. And that was with basically no competition and for a player who could well have ended up medically unable to play up to nearly the level needed to make the deal a winner.

Stepehenson is really the only gem in the three players you mention. Amadio is on his 4th team and while he may well be on a bit of a hot run he's still pretty much a 4th line kind of guy who may as a result of his play in the playoffs get more attention than he deserves. Roy is solid but Vegas tends to shoot a lot and hope for a few hits. They have had a lot of guys come and go without ver doing anythong much to crow about.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I’ll probably be roasted on this, and hopefully I do because I don’t think we make any change. But I don’t see us winning with skinner/Campbell unless skinner makes a big step forward.

I like skinner but he was victimized in the playoffs.

I would do whatever to get Hellebuyck on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad