Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If we include Savoie in a package, I expect to receive a better player in return. No offense to Larsson

I would do something like Ceci and Lavoie for Larsson
That would get laughed at and deservedly so. Lavoie is a player who's likely hitting waivers early in training camp. And Ceci is a UFA and notable downgrade. There's nothing of value in that offer.

Larsson is a rare breed of defenseman and a high character teammate. He'll easily get a 1st round pick + at the deadline. I'm not even sure Savoie is an attractive player to them.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Excel is a stretch he looked good and often the better part of the pairing with Nurse, but still the Expected Goals For for the duo was 30.2% it doesn't exactly scream a recipe for long term success.

Also, the mindset of well if you can do it in the most high pressure situation against the best competition surely you can repeat the feat in a lower pressure situation against weaker competition, is kind of a hollow one, the regular season represents its own set of unique challenges, for example when the games matter less does complacency creep into his game? How consistent can he be? Will he bounce back after a bad game or will it erode his confidence? When coaches more thoroughly scout him for weaknesses, can he make adjustments to potential weaknesses in his game?

The 2nd pairing is a high bar to reach for, I think it's a 50/50 chance he can hold that down to an adequate level, where as I'm more like 85-90% confident he can hold down the 3rd pairing and he is more likely to excel and grow his confidence in that role.

I also think people are running a little too high on the team after a SC Finals appearance and a good offseason of signings, there is a realistic chance that our 2nd & 3rd pairing (presuming Ceci or Kulak is traded) are below average to bad and if that occurs a single long term injury to any of McDavid, Drai, or Bouchard will harm the team enough that I wouldn't treat the playoffs as a foregone conclusion, we are still a team that is highly dependent on the straws that stir the drink despite the improved support around them.
Agreed. Starting Broberg on the second pairing with no realistic fallback is a recipe for disaster.

I have zero qualms playing Broberg with Ceci on the third pairing.

Kulak is the defenseman to move. Either as a part of the Oiler's end in a transaction for an upgrade on RD or straight up for a pick and cap relief. In either case it's Kulak that has to go.

Larsson isn't the RD to target. This is a stupid idea that should be put to rest. This team needs another transporter of the puck on the backend.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If the Oilers were to move Ceci for futures would Barrie on a very cheap deal (1 or 2 years $900K) make sense until the deadline?? He and Nurse did have some success together while he was in Edmonton.

This is far from ideal but the remaining RHD list is extremely thin and I don't see a trade that would bring in anyone better that would fit the cap.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
If the Oilers were to move Ceci for futures would Barrie on a very cheap deal (1 or 2 years $900K) make sense until the deadline?? He and Nurse did have some success together while he was in Edmonton.

This is far from ideal but the remaining RHD list is extremely thin and I don't see a trade that would bring in anyone better that would fit the cap.
Normally I don't like revisiting old players, but what remains out there is at best a lateral move at this point. Maybe this becomes an option. However, Barrie is old, small, slowing down, and not a defensive stalwart. Remains to be seen what Jackson does with Ceci and the D core, but I'd rather give Stecher a shot in that case, rather than bring Barrie back.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Normally I don't like revisiting old players, but what remains out there is at best a lateral move at this point. Maybe this becomes an option. However, Barrie is old, small, slowing down, and not a defensive stalwart. Remains to be seen what Jackson does with Ceci and the D core, but I'd rather give Stecher a shot in that case, rather than bring Barrie back.
I would not see Barrie as anything more than a platoon option. I think Ekholm/Bouchard is set in stone but I am not sure any other pairing is close to being set.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Agreed. Starting Broberg on the second pairing with no realistic fallback is a recipe for disaster.

I have zero qualms playing Broberg with Ceci on the third pairing.

Kulak is the defenseman to move. Either as a part of the Oiler's end in a transaction for an upgrade on RD or straight up for a pick and cap relief. In either case it's Kulak that has to go.

Larsson isn't the RD to target. This is a stupid idea that should be put to rest. This team needs another transporter of the puck on the backend.
It's also a recipe for a potentially much better second pairing and a runway for a top prospect's career to take off.

Sometimes you have to take risks. It's not like Ceci is some slam dunk for a great second pairing either. One guy could be great or bad. The other you know is going to be bad.

North

Jun 25, 2009
So the Oilers are going to play their prized rookie on his wrong side - 2nd pairing just cause vets like Kulak dont want to.

Oilers going to Oiler I suppose.
You do know Broberg has experience on both sides right?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think that Larsson is necessarily a poor 'transporter'. He's a guy who limits opposition shot quality when he's on the ice. He's also a good puck retriever who slows the game down in the DZ. He had a huge impact on the growth of Vince Dunn's game. I don't see a reason why he wouldn't have the same sort of impact on Broberg's.

Inf123

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton

Clearly Adam Larsson is coming (yes I know about his dad but maybe he's ready to come home).

does anyone have the original video where he actually said this? I thought in the interview he did after he signed, he just mentioned ekholm unless I missed it.

Reactions: McDoused

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

I’d try Klingberg instead if it were me

Reactions: belair

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Tried to open capfriendly to see Larsson's contract. It's finally dead. So sad. Damn Washington Caps.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
:huh:

So 10 days after people thought Jackson should be arrested for fraud and theft getting the good Savoie for a kitten-soft McLeod and promising prospect in Tulio, he’s being added into trade proposals for Adam Larsson?

feelings-i-am.gif

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I don't think that Larsson is necessarily a poor 'transporter'. He's a guy who limits opposition shot quality when he's on the ice. He's also a good puck retriever who slows the game down in the DZ. He had a huge impact on the growth of Vince Dunn's game. I don't see a reason why he wouldn't have the same sort of impact on Broberg's.
He didn't want to play here. Why are you thinking he's changed his mind?

Reactions: Duke74 and frag2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He didn't want to play here. Why are you thinking he's changed his mind?

Seeing your buddies in game 7 of a Cup Final while you're on a directionless "totally not Vegas 2.0" expansion team can probably hit like a ton of bricks.

A big part of his leaving was losing his Swedish buddy Klefbom to retirement too, now the team has a lot more Swedes like Ekholm, Arvidsson (who I guess he knows), Janmark, Broberg.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
They definitely didn't sign Stetcher to be a 5-6 dman to moonlight in the 2nd pairing when injuries happen.
Is Ceci here to play on the top pairing when injuries happen?

Guys end up playing over their end when injuries happen. You just have to deal with it with the depth you have. If you build a roster for when injuries happen, it's going to be worse while everyone is healthy.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I would not see Barrie as anything more than a platoon option. I think Ekholm/Bouchard is set in stone but I am not sure any other pairing is close to being set.

I think Stecher is going to get that role for this season. He's far better than Barrie defensively (though not a high bar), and the Oil don't really need a PP or bust offensive option. Though I do agree it would be as a platoon situation, specifically with Broberg.

I think the plan should be to start Broberg on the 3rd pairing with Kulak again and see how he fares on the right side. If he looks good, then you can bump him up to play with Nurse.
I also wouldn't be surprised to see Kulak get another look there, hell I could see Nurse getting a look on the right side too.

If they move on from Ceci, one guy I'm curious to see a bit more of is Phil Kemp, as I could see him stepping in as another Vinny-type. Wanner is another name, but Kemp is likely as ready as he's ever going to be next season, while Max is still a year or two off.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
They definitely didn't sign Stetcher to be a 5-6 dman to moonlight in the 2nd pairing when injuries happen.

That's literally what Stecher's been for his entire career dating back to his Vancouver days. Though I do agree he's not a replacement for Ceci and his work on the PK + size.

But if the plan is to keep the defencemen on their natural side, I don't hate the idea of running Stecher with Nurse at evens.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
That's literally what Stecher's been for his entire career dating back to his Vancouver days. Though I do agree he's not a replacement for Ceci and his work on the PK + size.

But if the plan is to keep the defencemen on their natural side, I don't hate the idea of running Stecher with Nurse at evens.
No, it's literally not. Bottom-pairing dmen that moonlight in the top-4 are NHL regulars, something Stetcher has not been since pre-COVID. He's been a 6/7.

Guys end up playing over their end when injuries happen. You just have to deal with it with the depth you have. If you build a roster for when injuries happen, it's going to be worse while everyone is healthy.
Yes, he's been deployed as a top-4 dman here ever since he signed here. How have you not noticed this.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

This just reminded me that the whole reason Shawn Horcoff ever got into the lineup was because of a Mike Grier injury. Maybe it's a little too butterfly-flaps-its-wings, but I've always wondered what happened if he didn't get that opportunity at that exact time.

Savoie + Ceci for
Adam Larsson at 50 percent. ? ;)

barf.gif

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

I think I’d rather just try Stecher with Nurse at that point. They’re both smaller puck movers that need to be sheltered but at least you save a couple hundred thousand and can hope for some potentially untapped upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad