Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Overreactions galore in this thread. You guys have no idea how the depth chart will play out in the KHL this year but you're assuming you do.

You think Demidov is gonna come out in an interview and say 'I'm gonna play in the top 6 in the KHL'? Even if he's been told otherwise he's gonna stay humble and tell the media absolutely nothing obviously.

The truth is I'm sure he doesn't know yet, it will have to play out in preseason and their training camp.
Weird because it seems like there are almost no overreactions here, just people saying it’s not ideal for him to be a 13th fwd in the KHL

One of the more level headed discussions I have seen tbh

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Overreactions galore in this thread. You guys have no idea how the depth chart will play out in the KHL this year but you're assuming you do.

You think Demidov is gonna come out in an interview and say 'I'm gonna play in the top 6 in the KHL'? Even if he's been told otherwise he's gonna stay humble and tell the media absolutely nothing obviously.

The truth is I'm sure he doesn't know yet, it will have to play out in preseason and their training camp.

I'd tend to agree about the overreaction part if we haven't witnessed the same BS with a prospect as highly touted as Michkov already, who btw had a 3 year contract in tow to stay in Russia at the time. It seems illogical to me to turn away talents such as him and Demidov no matter how long they'll be there.

Wouldn't you prefer just to ice the better players? Their handling of Michkov has never made sense to me.

Last edited:

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Weird because it seems like there are almost no overreactions here, just people saying it’s not ideal for him to be a 13th fwd in the KHL

One of the more level headed discussions I have seen tbh

I think penciling him in as the 13th forward with nothing but speculation is overreacting I guess.

Of course it's not ideal if that happens, I don't think you could find a single person to argue that. I'm just saying that we actually have zero indication of anything except that the SKA brass had a positive 2 hour phone call with the Habs management which seems to me that they're on the same page.

I highly doubt some 19 year old is gonna waltz in and get top line minutes but he'll hopefully be given an opportunity to earn his icetime and that's all we can ask for.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
It was obvious from early on that Demidov was going to get "punished" by SKA when it became clear of his intentions to play in the NHL as soon as his contract was up. SO, the NHL team that drafted him knew this going in. It might even be a reason why he was even available at five.

Another season in the MHL or a loan-out to the VHL was always going to be the outcome here. SKA never intended to sign Kuznetsov to play with Demidov. But it may have been with the intention to drop Demidov further down their depth chart.

The kid has to buy out his own contract if he really wants to come to NA, so it is unlikely. He would probably be in Laval anyway, so it probably does not make financial sense for him. Does a season in the VHL hurt his chances of being ready for Montreal in 2025-26? Maybe. But I think the Canadiens (now) know how to handle young players, so I don't think it (where he plays this season) will ultimately be a big deal.

What happened to the wonderful conversation between Hughes and Rotenberg and the development of Demidov? It just seemed like a couple weeks ago where it looked promising for the KHL.

I just don't understand the political BS of SKA with players of the ilk of Michkov and Demidov. It makes no sense. Why wouldn't you want these types on your roster?

It's so annoying.

SKA coach and brass take issue with having young players who are being developed for the NHL

Kind of a “if I can’t have you, nobody can” mentality

It sucks

'Anti-NHL politics' is just part of the equation for Rotenberg. If it was only politics Nikishin and Gritsyuk would be buried.

Rotenberg just strongly prefers vets, no matter how talented junior players are.
Michkov, Buchelnikov, Koromyslov, Ivanov are some other young guys who *should* be playing but are/were loaned out. Instead Roten will throw unlimited money at whatever big name player he can get his hands on.

It leads to very deep rosters but very disjointed teams. No wonder they havent won shit in years.

Last edited:

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
'Anti-NHL politics' is just part of the equation for Rotenberg. If it was solely poltics Nikishin and Gritsyuk would be buried.

Rotenberg just strongly prefers vets, no matter how talented junior players are.
Michkov, Buchelnikov, Koromyslov, Ivanov are some other young guys who *should* be playing but are/were loaned out. Instead Roten will throw unlimited money at whater big name player he can get his hands on.
To be fair Nikishin has been there for half a decade almost, much different than 1 year of Demidov

Reactions: Dutronc

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I think penciling him in as the 13th forward with nothing but speculation is overreacting I guess.

Of course it's not ideal if that happens, I don't think you could find a single person to argue that. I'm just saying that we actually have zero indication of anything except that the SKA brass had a positive 2 hour phone call with the Habs management which seems to me that they're on the same page.

I highly doubt some 19 year old is gonna waltz in and get top line minutes but he'll hopefully be given an opportunity to earn his icetime and that's all we can ask for.
Yeah SKA is not Sochi, he will not be given ice time in front of seasoned respected vets b

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
One thing is for sure, if getting 5 minutes a game is all SKA has for him, then I want him literally any place else, pronto. That would be an absolute waste of his crutial D+1 season.

Rotenberg can be vindictive a-hole, but he can't get away with limiting Demidov's minutes.
Just like Michkov, a talent like Demidov is too important to Russian hockey to sit and not develop.

He might start-out with limited playing time on SKA, but it won't last. The question is where he'll get his ice time. SKA or Neva (VHL).

Last edited:

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
In his KHL games (reg season and exhibition), despite not producing, looked better than Slaf in Liiga and was always making things happen. He also looked great with his brother in the VHL vs men. That he doesn’t make top-6 for SKA on day 1 is bizarre.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Remember last year when smug and snide commentators here -- the usual geopolitical experts -- were boasting about Michkov's career getting derailed because he was given little TOI in preseason/exhibition matches? How did that turn out?

Demidov is coming off a medium-serious injury, he's barely skated since last spring. He's playing against pros after playing in Juniors last year. He will need to earn TOI just as he would need to earn TOI in North America. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Remember last year when smug and snide commentators here -- the usual geopolitical experts -- were boasting about Michkov's career getting derailed because he was given little TOI in preseason/exhibition matches? How did that turn out?

Demidov is coming off a medium-serious injury, he's barely skated since last spring. He's playing against pros after playing in Juniors last year. He will need to earn TOI just as he would need to earn TOI in North America. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
TBF, he ended up playing all but 1 game on a different team, where he got a lot of ice time right away. He was lucky enough to avoid the entire situation entirely, he never got the 5 minutes a game treatment.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
TBF, he ended up playing all but 1 game on a different team, where he got a lot of ice time right away. He was lucky enough to avoid the entire situation entirely, he never got the 5 minutes a game treatment.
The season turned out perfectly fine for Michkov and the Flyers, is my point.

I think Demidov will be fine and whatever happens will be fine for the Habs too. Even if he does play 5min in the first few matches.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
The season turned out perfectly fine for Michkov and the Flyers, is my point.

I think Demidov will be fine and whatever happens will be fine for the Habs too. Even if he does play 5min in the first few matches.
Dammit @ReHabs can’t you see that our house is on FIRE! If we don’t put it out by yelling at it, the whole thing will go up in flames. Everything From the pool house to the dog house! And you’re sitting on the couch telling us to chill. it’ll all be fine! Do you even care about Fido?!

Damn you @ReHabs. Damn you all to hell

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal

Yeah I'm with you. It looked like lip service to me. Like, I need to prove that I deserve the ice time, etc. Also, without being able to understand what he's saying and going off some translation...

The worst case scenario would be him playing 5 mins in Ska and even that is not the end of the world. It worked well for Romanov.

As long as he hit the gym, keeps on getting stronger and bigger. More resistant. Keeps on working hard in practice and do overtime, he'll be just fine.

Reactions: Tyson

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Not very suprised , this is in part why russian kids drop. Demidov has the right attitude in his off ice training so I'm not too worried about his handling but I do hope he gets decent ice time wherever he plays

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00