Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
At this point PuckPedia has most of the core info. What we don't yet know is how that will play out going forward because we don't know if the site will have the same connections to gain the data it needs.
Sounds like Calgary Puck Encyclopedia. lol.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Oilers were cumulatively outscored by 222 goals in his tenure with us, we were a terrible team for much of that time, you pretty much needed to be a near Hall of Fame talent to break even or go positive. Heck just looking at McDavid's seasons that overlapped he was dead even twice, just barely positive once, and then solidly positive twice and that's with McDavid being fed heavy o-zone starts.

IMO Klefbom's best season was better than Nurse's best, but the body of Nurse's work is superior and the simple truth of the matter is Klef was never truly healthy with us, his shoulder was already messed up when he came to North America it was more of a case of to what degree was it messed up.
Nurses best season is miles better than anything Klefbom has done

Reactions: Spawn and McDoused

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

You're not wrong. I think we glorify Klefbom a lot because he was on a good contract and one of the better players on a bad team. Klefom had one good season where he had 12 goals and 26 assist for 38 points. His next best season was 5 goals and 29 assists for 34 points. He was a good player but never really proved more than Nurse.

Nurse has had 4 seasons where he's hut double digits in goals and and consistently gets 32-43 points every season. I believe Klefbom saw powerplay time while Nurse does his scoring 5v5 but don't quote me on that.

It's cool to hate on nurse though because of his contract.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It’s not even remotely close either.

Klefbom put up sub ~0.5ppg playing 1st unit PP time on a unit with McDavid and Draisaitl. Nurse has 7 consecutive seasons now of being a better 5v5 producer than Klefboms best season. The only thing Klefbom had over Nurse was a harder point shot and maybe a slightly better first pass (although nothing particularly outstanding). Everything else is an edge to Nurse.

Klefbom was great at two things as an Oiler. 1) being injured and 2) getting scored on. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the team took a step forward when Nurse took on a bigger role once Klefbom was gone.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Klefbom put up sub ~0.5ppg playing 1st unit PP time on a unit with McDavid and Draisaitl. Nurse has 7 consecutive seasons now of being a better 5v5 producer than Klefboms best season. The only thing Klefbom had over Nurse was a harder point shot and maybe a slightly better first pass (although nothing particularly outstanding). Everything else is an edge to Nurse.

Klefbom was great at two things as an Oiler. 1) being injured and 2) getting scored on. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the team took a step forward when Nurse took on a bigger role once Klefbom was gone.
Klefbom was here while McDavid and Draisaitl were less mature, and we didn't have nearly the depth we have now. We can't make this comparison

Also Klefbom didn't push for offense like Nurse does. He was a defense first player with decent offense, and more of a puck possession guy, similar to Ekholm actually.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Klefbom was here while McDavid and Draisaitl were less mature, and we didn't have nearly the depth we have now. We can't make this comparison

Also Klefbom didn't push for offense like Nurse does. He was a defense first player with decent offense, and more of a puck possession guy, similar to Ekholm actually.
Klefbom defense first? Like Ekholm? No, I don't agree.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Klefbom defense first? Like Ekholm? No, I don't agree.
He was a two way player, like a lot of Swedish Dmen from that time. His game was all about great puck recovery and smart decision making. He was definitely not an offense focused Dman like a Klingberg or Bouchard

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The way Bob's talking today I think ceci gets traded soon and evander kane stays.

He also mentioned yesterday he thinks Draisaitl gets 13.25M x 8 years.

Oh and he thinks Savoie will start as the 1C in Bako.
I very much agree with Savoie. I do think he has the talent to hang with our players but we don't have a great defense core that will cover for mistakes. Forwards have to be extremely vigilant to cover for Dmen and it can take getting used to. Knoblauch's defensive system can take some time as well, and we don't want Savoie to start slow and lose confidence

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I very much agree with Savoie. I do think he has the talent to hang with our players but we don't have a great defense core that will cover for mistakes. Forwards have to be extremely vigilant to cover for Dmen and it can take getting used to. Knoblauch's defensive system can take some time as well, and we don't want Savoie to start slow and lose confidence

Nothing wrong with earning his chops in the AHL. Broberg and Holloway did. This gives him time to play in every situation down there and get lots and lots of minutes learning how to play against bigger, stronger and faster players on average compared to what he has played against to this point. If he starts well then he's the first call-up IMO. If not, give him time to find his game down there so that when we need him, he's a better player for it.

The way Bob's talking today I think ceci gets traded soon and evander kane stays.

What did he say in regard to Ceci? Any talk of adding another defender? IMO Stetcher and J. Brown is not acceptable as the #2 and #3RD on a cup contending team.

Reactions: Vagabond

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Nothing wrong with earning his chops in the AHL. Broberg and Holloway did. This gives him time to play in every situation down there and get lots and lots of minutes learning how to play against bigger, stronger and faster players on average compared to what he has played against to this point. If he starts well then he's the first call-up IMO. If not, give him time to find his game down there so that when we need him, he's a better player for it.

What did he say in regard to Ceci? Any talk of adding another defender? IMO Stetcher and J. Brown is not acceptable as the #2 and #3RD on a cup contending team.

Well they are probably assuming Broberg is the #2 RD unless JJ makes another trade

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

He didmt say anything new. Just that he honestly doesn't know what's going to happen with Kane. The Oilers need to cut salary to sign Holloway/Broberg and that Ceci is the obvious cap saving move.

I just get the feeling that he wouldn't keep brining up Ceci if he didn't think he was getting moved, similar to how he mentioned McLeod prior to that trade.

If the Oilers weren't shopping him, he would have defended Ceci but instead he keeps bringing his name up.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

That's a fair amount for Draisaitl, especially considering that Toronto media think that him and Mcdavid will combine for 30 million. I'd bet that him and Mcdavid take similar cap hits.

I'd consider Kane more valuable to the team then Ceci is. Kane will get 20ish 5x5 goals while providing an element this team needs. Ceci is an overpaid 3rd pairing Dman that has cost us so many goals against the last 2 years playing over his head.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

The Oilers are a better team because McDavid and Drai are getting better each year. Not because Nurse is getting better. In fact this season the Oilers were the best they’ve ice in possibly 30 years and Nurse was playing like ass in the season and playoffs. You could even make a case where you replace current Nurse with any version of Klef and we would be parading the cup win right now

The thing with Nurse is on paper he looks like Doughty, but when you watch him play he look like a bottom pairing D

Last edited:

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle

What about the brain? lol. Hockey IQ wise they are not in the same ballpark. This is where stats can mislead, because Klefbom was predictable, and that makes everyone else better. I can't remember Klefbom sailing a waist high outlet across the rink even once, because he made good decisions.

Nurse's issues are mental, so Klefbom is superior to Nurse in all the things Nurse is better at :)

Reactions: Oilhawks

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
To be fair, an agent working for an agency isn’t taking home all of the ~5% of a players salary. No clue what the breakdown would be, but for example, Wasserman has 3200+ employees according to their website. Paying those salaries needs to come from somewhere. A GMs earnings are their own.

True. But even if he’s only taking home closer to 3%, he’s making like 400k a year on McDavid alone

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not sure if this has been posted yet but check this site out....looks familiar.

https://capwages.com/teams/edmonton_oilers

1720678827050.png

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What about the brain? lol. Hockey IQ wise they are not in the same ballpark. This is where stats can mislead, because Klefbom was predictable, and that makes everyone else better. I can't remember Klefbom sailing a waist high outlet across the rink even once, because he made good decisions.

Nurse's issues are mental, so Klefbom is superior to Nurse in all the things Nurse is better at :)

Klefbom missed his assignment around the net more than any Oiler I can remember. The Klefbom people pretend we had never existed. He was like an OEL without any actual offensive ability. He bled goals against and was about as effective offensively as Kris Russell was. He just got all the top unit PP time with two generational players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad