OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Hard to complain, though it would be frustrating if we don't do the obvious and immediately throw him into the fire.

I feel mildly vindicated in throwing around the idea of Priester for Stowers. The difference here is that Yorke is much closer in age to Priester, and obviously is a 2B or at least a 2B who might pick up a corner OF spot as a platoonish guy.

The only thing I would caution is that everyone and their mother is saying that AAA is total garbage this year, so a nice wRC+ there doesn't necessarily mean a ton, but it's also not like you can fault a prospect for rising to AAA and continuing to perform well. At the end of the day, trading pitching depth for some kind of bat is what Cherington should be doing, and if Yorke works out, you have full and cheap control for him. If he can just be an average bat, it's hard not to see it as a win.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Yorke also doesnt appear to be on the Sox 40 man roster.

This might be a way to clear a 40 man spot while backfilling prospect depth that they plan to trade out of?

Who knows

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I have to guess that Gonzales ends up going on the 60 day IL and Yorke comes up to play 2B in place of him. Gonzales actually ended up being a good 2B defender, so Yorke will be a downgrade there, but the profiles otherwise seem really similar to each other. I figure they view Yorke as an OF going forward but are going to use him as a 2B for the rest of this year.

Looking at Yorke's stats, one thing that really sticks out is his plate discipline this year between AA and AAA. His strikeout rates are super low (18.5%) and his walk rates are super high (11.5%), which is why his OBP is nearly 100 points higher than his average (.278/.363/.422 slash line). I think the real question with his profile is how well his power will develop and translate to the majors, but the guy looks like he should be an OBP machine.

For a guy who is only 22 for this entire year, that level of plate discipline in the upper minors is wildly impressive. His profile sounds Arraez-lite.

Yorke also doesnt appear to be on the Sox 40 man roster.

This might be a way to clear a 40 man spot while backfilling prospect depth that they plan to trade out of?

Who knows

He's rule 5 eligible after this year so he will be added to the 40 man roster eventually. I also think he likely steps in to replace Gonzales for the rest of the year, since their other options look pretty terrible.

Reactions: DaveG

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Hard to say, I think we need to see some more shoes drop. It sounds like Yorke isn't an amazing defender at 2B, so it could be the perfect storm of him plugging into 2B while Gonzales is gone and occasionally getting OF experience. I think it would be pretty disappointing if Yorke wasn't immediately called up (perhaps for the homestand), as there's nothing left to prove in AAA for him.

Still, it would be useful to clear some spots on the 40-man. I think the dream would be to use a couple of them to get Rooker. It's a pipe dream, but at this point I've totally softened on the defensive stuff. Get the guy who can hit 40 home runs and let the rest work itself out. There seems to be a non-zero chance Cutch retires anyways.

I think you also at least need to get one outfielder, even if it's a rental.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
With all the caveats in the world about how crappy AAA is compared to MLB, this is a guy who has:
1) produced at age-appropriate levels
2) has some power
3) has 1st round pedigree
4 has good K/BB splits

I hopped on the Brandon Lowe train but this is a totally appropriate move for 2B with Gonzales out and gives them a good OF prospect going forward. Give this guy 50 games in this playoff race.

I also like Bae much better in CF vs. 2B.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
With all the caveats in the world about how crappy AAA is compared to MLB, this is a guy who has:
1) produced at age-appropriate levels
2) has some power
3) has 1st round pedigree
4 has good K/BB splits

I hopped on the Brandon Lowe train but this is a totally appropriate move for 2B with Gonzales out and gives them a good OF prospect going forward. Give this guy 50 games in this playoff race.

I also like Bae much better in CF vs. 2B.

I think another nice thing with Yorke is that he fits the prototype of what you want from a leadoff hitter, even with his mediocre speed. When McCutchen retires, you can replace him with a more power focused bat (which is what you should be targeting with a DH) and have Yorke as the new leadoff guy.

Granted it's a question of how it translates to the major leagues. Gonzales had a very similar walk rate to Yorke in the minors but is only walking 4% in the majors this year.

As an aside, I think Gonzales is really just improving his walk rate away from being a damn solid 2B. He has shown to have good 2B defense, good speed and has some pop. He also seems like he can hit for a decent ~.260 average. But that walk rate is just untenable, he needs to get on base more.

I think Gonzales should be like a .700 to .750 OPS guy with good speed and defense, but his horrid walk rate is going to prevent him from meeting that.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yorke is going to AAA to start without it mentioning him being added to the 40 man. Curious if another move comes with this to fill Priester's open 40 man roster spot.

Saw this online about Yorke as well, his AAA numbers look really good across the board. The Z-contact% number sticks out to me, I remember that's something that was heavily criticized with Gonzales for struggling to make contact with pitches in the zone.

Reactions: WickedWrister

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Hopefully Yorke headed to Indy is just for the time being so that the remaining deadline moves can shake out. Perhaps you give him a week in Indy to get acclimated to the organization, but it would be the ultimate in Pirates level frustration to make a trade for a guy in AAA who is hitting well and not give him any MLB run in pretty short order.

I am also relieved we didn't get Pham. Dude is an asshole who hits singles and isn't really much of a fielder.

Reactions: DaveG and Ulf5

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis

Craig did provide us with the most stupidest play in MLB history that got memed so much he fled to f***ing Korea.

I am also relieved we didn't get Pham. Dude is an asshole who hits singles and isn't really much of a fielder.
100% STL is just nostalgic for their old players, screw that guy, unless you could guarantee a WS win, HELL NO

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Bob Nightengale on the Fan right says he’s hearing that the Pirates really won’t be buyers and if they are it will be very small stuff… just got asked about Taylor Ward and said he doesn’t believe he’s a realistic target for the Pirates

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
If i were to guess this trade is about:

1. Clearing a 40 man spot
2. Getting value from an asset thats getting surpassed in the system that has only marginal current on field value.
3. Increases upper system depth, in case of another deal.

I dont think Yorke was brought in to be a plug and play guy for this season. He might end up getting an opportunity bit just as another option and not a “hes our guy” kinda way.

So overall kinda whatever

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This seems like a really weird justification for Niightengale to make for why he doesn't think the Pirates will be buyers. The Pirates will be limiting the innings of Skenes and Jones down the stretch, but didn't Cherington or Shelton explicitly say that they won't be shutting down either of them? Even with limiting their innings, Skenes and Jones have about 6-8 starts left in the year.

The inning limits for Skenes and Jones is why you don't bother trading assets for rentals, but rentals aren't the only players that are traded at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad