Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The team should listen to fans on everything? Why have a GM and coach at that point? Don’t be stupid.
I don’t think Keith is saying the problem is GMs should listen to the fans. It’s that this organization continues to think Ceci is a good player to have in your top 4.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
If we let them walk who would we be targeting on PTOs or league min contracts?

JvR - 35-40 ish point guy still
Kase
Gagner for 4c
Barrie
Kubalik - lower on my list but only 28
Wheeler for 4c - prob not coming back to Canada but if he is still probably a 30 ish point guy

There is a couple guys out there who while old could be pretty solid one year gap players for cheap if we are trying to go deep.

This would require us to bury brown and like derek Ryan

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
If we let them walk who would we be targeting on PTOs or league min contracts?

JvR - 35-40 ish point guy still
Kase
Gagner for 4c
Barrie
Kubalik - lower on my list but only 28
Wheeler for 4c - prob not coming back to Canada but if he is still probably a 30 ish point guy

There is a couple guys out there who while old could be pretty solid one year gap players for cheap if we are trying to go deep.

This would require us to bury brown and like derek Ryan
Do they need to do anything out of the gate or run with what we have and address at trade deadline?

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Do they need to do anything out of the gate or run with what we have and address at trade deadline?
They dont I am just saying now that two guys we had pencilled in are prob gone you could recreate the forward depth of Holloway pretty easy with the above. I think Ceci stretcher is fine going into the season no worse than last year.

D I view as probably a LHd upgrade at the deadline that we have scouted and know has played some decent or okay enough RHd

Reactions: Sra1974

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

He also said Kane is out for more than 2 months but may not be the full year
They sure say alots happening, but we don't see much of it. Has Stan even spoken about the offersheets? He doesn't have to give his answer, but some proof he knows what's going on would be great.

All this Friedman news can't be new either, as he's been in Paris calling the Olympics for the last 2 weeks.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
They sure say alots happening, but we don't see much of it. Has Stan even spoken about the offersheets? He doesn't have to give his answer, but some proof he knows what's going on would be great.

All this Friedman news can't be new either, as he's been in Paris calling the Olympics for the last 2 weeks.
I do think he's plugged in very well. I'll try to note down some more. I'm listening to the podcast

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
As others have posted, good stuff from Friedman on the offer sheet debacle. Clear that Jackson and Co took their eyes off the ball with the two organization top young NHL players. They failed to see and heed the warning signs from Armstrong and drew a line in the sand of Broberg's camp $1.8 million ask and Holloway's $1.2 million to now face down the double barrel poison bill offer sheet by a conference rival. Link: 32 Thoughts: The Podcast

Friedman also counters an embarrassing organization propaganda attempt last night to discredit and blame Holland as the scapegoat. Should shock no one that Broberg's camp allegedly deferred extension talk to the off season to assess his standing within an organization that's botched his development and clogged his roster path with subsequent deals for Keith, Kulak and Ekholm.

Now the organization must decide if both players fit in their future without the value of cheap labour counted on along with upward potential, size and speed on one of the oldest teams in the NHL. Jackson's been aces since taking this job but his team took their eyes off the ball with these critical future component of this team's roster.

Holloway seems a no brainer to sign as a player who can realistically might deliver to the contract value. Broberg was always the real prize for St. Louis and the Oilers's decision on him will reflect on how they view his latent growth potential (can he reach 1st/2nd pair responsibilities?). Or can they find a better fit, likely a right-handed established second pair d-man, with the cap money and a meagre 2nd round pick return on their best young player.

No one to blame but themselves. We now wait...

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
As others have posted, good stuff from Friedman on the offer sheet debacle. Clear that Jackson and Co took their eyes off the ball with the two organization top young NHL players. They failed to see and heed the warning signs from Armstrong and drew a line in the sand of Broberg's camp $1.8 million ask and Holloway's $1.2 million to now face down the double barrel poison bill offer sheet by a conference rival. Link: 32 Thoughts: The Podcast
Serious question.

What were the missed warning signs that Armstrong’s move was imminent?

Reactions: Duke74

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
32 Thoughts

- Friedman says Broberg asked for 1.8 million on a 2 year extension. Oilers offer to Holloway was 1.2 million for 1 year.
- Friedman believes Edmonton will take their time on these offer sheets and will look at all of their options.
- Friedman believes Evander Kane will have surgery
- Decision has been made for Kane and he may be ready before the deadline
- Friedman expects Cody Ceci rumours to pick up. Oilers may be forced into this.
- Bottom line, Blues were not happy with where they were. They made runs at Necas and some more trades.
- End of the, Armstrong (clown in my opinion ) saw two young players and took the pill

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Friedman also counters an embarrassing organization propaganda attempt last night to discredit and blame Holland as the scapegoat. Should shock no one that Broberg's camp allegedly deferred extension talk to the off season to assess his standing within an organization that's botched his development and clogged his roster path with subsequent deals for Keith, Kulak and Ekholm.

Now the organization must decide if both players fit in their future without the value of cheap labour counted on along with upward potential, size and speed on one of the oldest teams in the NHL. Jackson's been aces since taking this job but his team took their eyes off the ball with these critical future component of this team's roster.

Holloway seems a no brainer to sign as a player who can realistically might deliver to the contract value. Broberg was always the real prize for St. Louis and the Oilers's decision on him will reflect on how they view his latent growth potential (can he reach 1st/2nd pair responsibilities?). Or can they find a better fit, likely a right-handed established second pair d-man, with the cap money and a meagre 2nd round pick return on their best young player.

No one to blame but themselves. We now wait...
True but Friedman also said Broberg wanted to wait until the summer to sign to see how his season went

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
True but Friedman also said Broberg wanted to wait until the summer to sign to see how his season went
The point is that Broberg's camp declined to discuss an extension back in January, at the player's lowest point of playing in the AHL. What I posted included "Should shock no one that Broberg's camp allegedly deferred extension talk to the off season to assess his standing within an organization that's botched his development and clogged his roster path with subsequent deals for Keith, Kulak and Ekholm."

End result is the same. Broberg's group didn't see a reason to sign an extension in January. They chose to wait until the off-season.

Reactions: Mr Positive

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Specifically, Armstrong's public comments back in June (below). Broader media reporting (as every year) of the threat for offer sheeting.

Friedman mentioned that Brobergs team didn’t want to sign in season and I’m sure Holloway thought the same. Given their inability to contribute enough to be full time players, they weren’t at risk of losing value on their second contract but there was upside to waiting to see if they could increase value.

The big mistake Jackson made was being too naive that he wouldn’t get shived in the back. If the players asks (1.2 and 1.8) are to be believed that means the players and team were less then 1M apart combined, if you can’t bridge the gap at that point then it’s probably time to start thinking that something is up and fling open the door to trade offers on both, at the very least that would of forced Armstrongs hand because if either gets traded to another team then his hand falls apart so he’d likely have to speed up his timeline.

I think both agents knew back at the beginning of July that these offers were coming and so they never would have let their clients sign for under 2M. The whole play is predicated on forcing the Oilers into the worse situation possible with no escape hatch which is why they had to wait 6 weeks to spring the trap. If either player signs at the numbers Friedman suggested was their ask, the whole plan falls apart.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Friedman mentioned that Brobergs team didn’t want to sign in season and I’m sure Holloway thought the same. Given their inability to contribute enough to be full time players, they weren’t at risk of losing value on their second contract but there was upside to waiting to see if they could increase value.

The big mistake Jackson made was being too naive that he wouldn’t get shived in the back. If the players asks (1.2 and 1.8) are to be believed that means the players and team were less then 1M apart combined, if you can’t bridge the gap at that point then it’s probably time to start thinking that something is up and fling open the door to trade offers on both, at the very least that would of forced Armstrongs hand because if either gets traded to another team then his hand falls apart so he’d likely have to speed up his timeline.

I think both agents knew back at the beginning of July that these offers were coming and so they never would have let their clients sign for under 2M. The whole play is predicated on forcing the Oilers into the worse situation possible with no escape hatch which is why they had to wait 6 weeks to spring the trap. If either player signs at the numbers Friedman suggested was their ask, the whole plan falls apart.
I'm guessing Jackson probably asked for 2 years at those price while the players wanted 1 year and then arbrition rights

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Think they will have to walk away from Holloway too.

If you match even on Holloway it puts the team over the cap when Kane comes off the LTIR.

You can say "well then trade Kane", but that's going to be difficult at that point, he's going be looked at as damaged goods and teams are going to know the Oilers have to dump cap and will ask for the moon (probably a 1st round pick at least) because we have no choice. That and he has a NTC too, so he may not agree to even waive that.

Kulak or Ceci you could dump to accomodate Holloway's pay raise but since you've also walked from Klefbom that thins out the D considerably, I don't think that's an option.

Team will be fine next year, but this is an embarrassing kick in the ass to the front office, this level of management is not good enough, everyone in that front office needs to look in the mirror and be better. Basically the only thing they have to show for 9 years of drafting past McDavid is Bouchard and Skinner now, lucky for them Bouchard looks like a star.

The amount of cap mismanagement and wasted draft capital is really piss poor.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Why would we try harder to keep Broberg?

He's the lower floor with the same ceiling with the higher cap hit?

Idk, I see Broberg at 4.6 AAV and I have literally zero problem walking away. No upside with the player at that range. Best case scenario basically for us is he's worth his deal because he'll be playing behind Ekholm and Bouchard, no thanks.

That's not what this team needs right now.
I completely disagree on this. I think Broberg's floor and ceiling are both higher, I especially think his ceiling is clearly higher than that of Holloway. It's not like I have any credibility as a scout so you may very well be right but I don't think it's very close.

At the end of the day what matters is what Bowman and Jackson see in both players.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I'd suspect that in early July we didn't talk to the RFA because we were UFA hunting. The plan there is to spend the money so you can pressure your RFAs to settle for whatever is left.

I'd guess as soon as our spending spree was over, St.Louis was talking to Broberg already, probably directly and not just the agent. Half of getting an offer sheet like this is selling them on the opportunity and showing how important they would become to their new team

I could see a similar scenario playing out with Holloway. That was probably added on though. It would be pretty easy to talk Holloway into signing away from Edmonton after we made big signings at forward that blocked his path at advancement. Even adding Savoie might have made him wonder

The timing of the sheets is probably just as reported. It's just to remove our buyout window.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Think they will have to walk away from Holloway too.

If you match even on Holloway puts the team over the cap when Kane comes off the LTIR.

You can say "well then trade Kane", but that's going to be difficult at that point, he's going be looked at as damaged goods and teams are going to know the Oilers have to dump cap and will ask for the moon (probably a 1st round pick at least) because we have no choice. That and he has a NTC too, so he may not agree to even waive that.

Kulak or Ceci you could dump to accomodate Holloway's pay raise but since you've also walked from Klefbom that thins out the D considerably, I don't think that's an option.

Team will be fine next year, but this is an embarrassing kick in the ass to the front office, this level of management is not good enough, everyone in that front office needs to look in the mirror and be better. Basically the only thing they have to show for 9 years of drafting past McDavid is Bouchard and Skinner now, lucky for them Bouchard looks like a star.

The amount of cap mismanagement and wasted draft capital is really piss poor.
With or without Broberg and Holloway, the Oilers have to trade Kane or/and Ceci/Kulak in a year

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
32 Thoughts

- Friedman says Broberg asked for 1.8 million on a 2 year extension. Oilers offer to Holloway was 1.2 million for 1 year.
- Friedman believes Edmonton will take their time on these offer sheets and will look at all of their options.
- Friedman believes Evander Kane will have surgery
- Decision has been made for Kane and he may be ready before the deadline
- Friedman expects Cody Ceci rumours to pick up. Oilers may be forced into this.
- Bottom line, Blues were not happy with where they were. They made runs at Necas and some more trades.
- End of the, Armstrong (clown in my opinion ) saw two young players and took the pill
Was it that Broberg asked 1.8 and we turned that down? Or that was our offer? It would surprise me if the org turned down 1.8 and I would be pretty upset if that was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad