Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
In January, Broberg was just starting to recover his game in the AHL after coming off a difficult start under Woodcroft and demanding a trade. Doubt they could have gotten his name on a contract even if they were motivated to do so.

It's so ridiculous that it frankly isn't believable. "Yah I told Kenny to get those guys done in January, should have listened!" type of blowhard self aggrandizing nonsense is the read I get.

Here are the facts of where their games were at in January:

Broberg - the gutter. A candidate to be dumped for whatever we could get. Asked for a trade even.

Holloway - another injury, another potentially broken season

Basically both are candidates for 1x$750k extensions at that point. So this all knowing source either can literally see into the future and knew that Holloway and Broberg would BOTH have a great playoff out of nowhere, or he's full of shit. It's one or the other.

On the other end of the spectrum, why the hell would either of their agents sign anything around league min at that point? Only place to go is up. Also, why the hell would the Oilers juice up those deals at that point to give the agent incentive to sign for one guy that wants to be traded and another that can't stay in the lineup?

This stands up to about 10 seconds of scrutiny before it's clear is nonsense.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
It's so ridiculous that it frankly isn't believable. "Yah I told Kenny to get those guys done in January, should have listened!" type of blowhard self aggrandizing nonsense is the read I get.

Here are the facts of where their games were at in January:

Broberg - the gutter. A candidate to be dumped for whatever we could get. Asked for a trade even.

Holloway - another injury, another potentially broken season

Basically both are candidates for 1x$750k extensions at that point. So this all knowing source either can literally see into the future and knew that Holloway and Broberg would BOTH have a great playoff out of nowhere, or he's full of shit. It's one or the other.

On the other end of the spectrum, why the hell would either of their agents sign anything around league min at that point? Only place to go is up. Also, why the hell would the Oilers juice up those deals at that point to give the agent incentive to sign for one guy that wants to be traded and another that can't stay in the lineup?

This stands up to about 10 seconds of scrutiny before it's clear is nonsense.
The voice of reason.

Reactions: AM and McDoused

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
You keep saying this as if Broberg has proven he's the fourth best defenceman on the team. He hasn't proven anything. Kulak is a better dman today. Ceci struggled, but look at his numbers and tell me you're confident Broberg is an upgrade.

He's not worth it at 4.6. I hope they find a way to keep him, but it's a bad bet if they make it.

That's about the jist of it. We need a stay-at-home top four RD. Broberg, for all his potential, is not that today or even next year (if he can successfully transition to his off-side at all, that is).

This is where our pro scouting needs to earn its bones- go out and poach some undervalued guy who is on the cusp of being a reliable everyday defensive defender. Gustav Lindstrom is one who comes to mind- Anaheim has eight hundred defensemen, and word is we were talking to them about Kane anyway. Given Lindstrom is still an unsigned RFA maybe they'd bite for a late pick or C prospect.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Macblender

May 5, 2014
We've gotten right handed top 4 Dmen before?
We traded for Ekholm not so long ago and I would argue he is a top pair guy.

David Jiricek had a spat with CBus last year who knows where that goes but would love to target him. If they fall out and that is a no go Provorov wouldn’t be bad if retained but he is a lefty.

There is plenty of good D on bottom feeders or teams quasi rebuilding. If St. Louis is going young Parayko may be an option. Cam Fowler has two years left and I think you could get him retained for the same cap as Ceci.

There is stuff out there it is just a matter of cost

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
We traded for Ekholm not so long ago and I would argue he is a top pair guy.

David Jiricek had a spat with CBus last year who knows where that goes but would love to target him. If they fall out and that is a no go Provorov wouldn’t be bad if retained but he is a lefty.

There is plenty of good D on bottom feeders or teams quasi rebuilding. If St. Louis is going young Parayko may be an option. Cam Fowler has two years left and I think you could get him retained for the same cap as Ceci.

There is stuff out there it is just a matter of cost
Ekholm isn't a RHD top 4 Dman. CBJ is not gving up Jiricek come on man lol. These are all "what ifs". If Bowman brings us Parayko, I'll be happy. Until he fixes the issue on our top 4, I don't care. This is a colossal failure

Macblender

May 5, 2014
We've been saying "Upgrade Ceci" for at least two years now and it hasn't happened.
Yeah instead in 2023 we picked up a guy who pushed our top LHD down a pair.

Ceci is a decent 5/6 overpaid in that role and this is a cap world which due to Campbell and numerous other mistakes even from the chiarelli days that are still plaguing us with dead cap.

Honestly the deadline pickups have been fine and we almost won the damn cup with draisaitl being a shadow of himself injured and Kane being too injured to play. You honestly couldn’t really get much closer to winning the thing.

In a cap world there is always someone to upgrade and sure we need a better 2nd pair RHD but that just isn’t happening till the deadline.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Ekholm isn't a RHD top 4 Dman. CBJ is not gving up Jiricek come on man lol. These are all "what ifs". If Bowman brings us Parayko, I'll be happy. Until he fixes the issue on our top 4, I don't care. This is a colossal failure
Sure he isn’t but I am just saying solid D men get traded.

Really LOL the guy lobbying the hardest that a rookie LhD we were forced to play RhD in the playoffs since Kulak wasn’t comfortable playing his off side thinks no LHD can play the RhD side? I am sure out of the many names I listed that are on teams that are likely to miss and are aged out of those forward looking cores one could play right side.

And of course they are what ifs which I find kind of funny from the guy with a source and posts every twitter what if in this thread. Jiricek is moderately interesting if anything happens or there is any set back there he bitched about the team last year and was mismanaged and there was rumours he may get moved. I agree likely not happening

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Stecher
Brown

Will get us to the deadline no problem and that's not even mentioning that the only player on that list Broberg is definitively better than is the last one.
Bingo. This defense is more than good enough to get them to the deadline and then use Ceci+ for an upgrade, similar to what they did with Ekholm. Stecher in particular is extremely underrated imo, I’m still shocked that he re-signed as cheap as he did and it wouldn’t surprise me if by Christmas we’re talking about him being the best value contract on the team and seeing him push up the depth chart.

It’s also going to be time for the pro scouts to put in the work and try to find some under appreciated guys who could be hitting the waiver wire in camp. I’m gonna keep pounding the drum that Victor Soderstrom is the guy they should be targeting. He’s been passed over immensely with Utah rebuilding their defense and looks poised to hit waivers out of camp, wouldn’t be a bad idea to toss them a pick or mid prospect to jump the line and get him in camp here imo.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Say what?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Lmao at thinking any player in that room would judge another player for taking life changing money for himself and his family.

You think any player in that room would say “no thank you, I’ll be content with $900K!” if someone offered them $4.5 million? Be honest with yourself and stop being a hypocrite because you would do the exact same thing if another company offered you that type of money to take you away from your current job.

Why is it so hard for fans to use logic?
I don’t blame Broberg for taking that money at all. I would have done the same it’s an insane overpay.

That being said when the other players take cuts to win the cup and then a player who did practically nothing last year signs for 4.6 it kind of goes against what they are trying to do. If that makes sense. I don’t think they would be mad at him but definitely unhappy with the situation.

Last edited:

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Lmao at thinking any player in that room would judge another player for taking life changing money for himself and his family.

You think any player in that room would say “no thank you, I’ll be content with $900K!” if someone offered them $4.5 million? Be honest with yourself and stop being a hypocrite because you would do the exact same thing if another company offered you that type of money to take you away from your current job.

Why is it so hard for fans to use logic?
Very nice post and the opposite can be said. Skinner made 100 mil and is playing for 3. This is real not speculation. Our top guys have made their bag, lets see what happens. Especially now that we are losing two nice young NHLers to move us forward. I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad