Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I didn't care for the Henrique signing either. He was replaceable. That's gonna cost Kulak probably
I'm on the opposite side of that fence. Henrique as 3C for $3m AAV was an absolute coup. He left at least $2m a year on the table by not going to market.

This offersheet was the result of not giving Broberg the rope earlier. By slowplaying development you're effectively limiting that player's ability to earn.

Sometimes it works. See Bouchard. But this is an instance where choosing Kulak over the prospect is backfiring in a substantial way.

UFA's that could potentially come in cheaper than Holloway/Broberg.

Forwards: Dube, Silfverberg, Cousins, Labanc, Wheeler, Clutterbuck, Matt Martin (could use some toughness)
Defense: Schultz, Staal, Scandella, Dermott

If we signed Dube for cheap and Schultz for $2-$2.5 million and let both Holloway and Broberg walk, are we a worse team?
The loss here isn't what those two are, it's what they were going to be.

IMO were in a situation where we likely need to choose one. And odds are it's Holloway.

Last edited:

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
I'm on the opposite side of that fence. Henrique as 3C for $3m AAV was an absolute coup. He left at least $2m a year on the table by not going to market.

This offersheet was the result of not giving Broberg the type earlier. By slowplaying development you're effectively limiting that player's ability to earn.

Sometimes it works. See Bouchard. But this is an instance where choosing Kulak over the prospect is backfiring in a substantial way.

IMO were in a situation where we likely need to choose one. And odds are it's Holloway.
Long term, the safer bet would be to find a way to retain Broberg - I feel like Holloway is one of those players that come and go (Foegele for example). The bigger hole becomes shoring up our defense, not finding a plug and play 30 point 3rd liner IMO.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
We're about to learn alot about Kane's relationship with Oilers management. There seems to be a disconnect between player perspective of being able to play and management expressing likelihood of surgery to address multiple injury concerns.

Now hanging in the balance is not carving out some cap space but the future or not of two young, developing roster players.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Broberg was never really top 4, even in the finals

Game 7 6th in ice time.
Game 6 5th
Game 5 5th
Game 4 5th
Game 3 4th
Game 2 4th
Game 1 3rd

The games where he was top 4, they lost every game. Once he and Nursed were relegated to the third pairing is when he looked a lot better. So no, I do not think that small audition means is a top 4 D man yet. It does looking promising, but not yet.
Also, Broberg only started playing half way through the playoffs. He was rested and healthy.

He looked good playing against a bunch of beat up players.

Edit - Broberg only started playing game 4 of the Dallas series. Oilers had already played 14 playoff games by then.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

This offersheet was the result of not giving Broberg the rope earlier. By slowplaying development you're effectively limiting that player's ability to earn.

Well injuries and slumps happen so there's no telling what either guy will be. What happened is we are now faced with potentially overpaying Broberg right now. He probably isn't a $4 million player right now but the toll needs to be paid or we need to turn around and go a different direction.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Long term, the safer bet would be to find a way to retain Broberg - I feel like Holloway is one of those players that come and go (Foegele for example). The bigger hole becomes shoring up our defense, not finding a plug and play 30 point 3rd liner IMO.
The problem is that Broberg was not going to be a $4.5m defenseman in Edmonton for some time. That's not something that's easy to fit into a long-term pay structure.

I've been one of the bigger supporters for Broberg over the years, but this is the result of him (and Holloway) being given limited opportunities. That shouldn't suddenly change because a team chose to offersheet him.

Could you imagine if Broberg struggled? Our fanbase would crucify him. He's gone.

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
The problem is that Broberg was not going to be a $4.5m defenseman in Edmonton for some time. That's not something that's easy to fit into a long-term pay structure.

I've been one of the bigger supporters for Broberg over the years, but this is the result of him (and Holloway) being given limited opportunities. That should suddenly change because a team chose to offersheet him.

Could you imagine if Broberg struggled? Our fanbase would crucify him. He's gone.
Correct.

In two years, he MAY be, but then we are looking at another 15-20% increase for him again. I guess you make a fair point. Can't help but feel sour on it though, especially considering who else was available that draft year.

Grr.

Reactions: Duke74

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
It’s not because “young” it’s because he’s unproven. He’s been bad the majority of his time here. One good playoff run was great but that doesn’t make him worth 4.6 million.

Literally if he plays in camp like he did last year in camp he doesn't make the team...

That's not good enough for 4.6 million AAV.

The blues can have him. Literally if Desharnais didn't get injured in the playoffs we're asking if he was even worth qualifying...

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
sign them both and deal with it after, if you can dump ceci and ltir kane awesome, if you have to trade kane then you do it, hes declining and holloway is going to fill the hyman gap in the coming years when 18 starts to decline

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Opens a spot up for savoie.

Savoie and Lavoie are both going to get a REALLY long look at camp, and likely get some NHL games in the season as well.

sign them both and deal with it after, if you can dump ceci and ltir kane awesome, if you have to trade kane then you do it, hes declining and holloway is going to fill the hyman gap in the coming years when 18 starts to decline

You can't trade Kane, he has a NMC until March 1st, which then becomes a 15 team no trade list. So you can't just do what you said. If they KNOW Kane is going on LTIR, they could sign both players and run a really short handed team as has been posted a few times.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Hell no. Plus Kane is in the driver's seat for any trade, and he wants to be here. They wanted the money instead of the opportunity to win. That is their right, so see ya boys. Good luck. Take the savings, and trade Ceci for another player that fits Nurse's style better.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It is what it is, you can't mismanage 10 million in cap (almost 1/8th of the entire cap you're working with) with stupid moves like overpaying Nurse and a metric shit ton of dead cap like Holland did without something eventually blowing up in your face.

If both are gone, so be it. It's the cost of hiring Holland.

Move on, pro/amateur scouts need to step their shit up and find some cheaper, young players with some speed that could be inserted into the lineup over time but it's not like either was a huge producer last year.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Based on what?
The mistake has already been made. It would be a mistake eating the ongoing cap penalty for a player you don't have earmarked for a significant role for some time.

Losing Broberg hurts. He's a homegrown player who was likely going to be a solid top four D for you for many years. And there was a way to make that favorable for you financially. But that's all in the past.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Will be good for Savoie and Lavoie, they'll probably move up the list to get some good looks sooner than later.

Reactions: McDoused

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I’m gonna f***ing puke. The Blues media guy is raving about Broberg on sports 1440.

I need to hit something. Or someone

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
St. Louis media reporter on Sports 1440 believe Edmonton will try harder to keep Philip Broberg.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
RNH-McD-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-RV
Pacioretty ($1M 1yr)-Henrique-Savoie
Janmark-Ryan-C. Brown

Ek-Bouch
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Barrie ($1M 1 yr)

Skins
Pickard

Use STL 2nd + 3rd + prospects to upgrade on Ceci. We will have a ton of cap with Kane on LTIR all year, so that should make up for a lack of primo assets. It hurts, yes, but not as much as letting our cap structure get f***ed by two kids looking for a premature payday.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
St. Louis media reporter on Sports 1440 believe Edmonton will try harder to keep Philip Broberg.

Why would we try harder to keep Broberg?

He's the lower floor with the same ceiling with the higher cap hit?

Idk, I see Broberg at 4.6 AAV and I have literally zero problem walking away. No upside with the player at that range. Best case scenario basically for us is he's worth his deal because he'll be playing behind Ekholm and Bouchard, no thanks.

That's not what this team needs right now.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Why would we try harder to keep Broberg?

He's the lower floor with the same ceiling with the higher cap hit?

Idk, I see Broberg at 4.6 AAV and I have literally zero problem walking away. No upside with the player at that range. Best case scenario basically for us is he's worth his deal because he'll be playing behind Ekholm and Bouchard, no thanks.

That's not what this team needs right now.
Think about this man. We have enough wingers that can replace Holloway. Who else do we have after Ekholm, Bouchard and Nurse other than Broberg?

Ceci is not top 4. Kulak is not either. Wanner is not ready. Neither is Akey

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Correct.

In two years, he MAY be, but then we are looking at another 15-20% increase for him again. I guess you make a fair point. Can't help but feel sour on it though, especially considering who else was available that draft year.

Grr.

This is a key point. QO's for these players are going to be stupid unless they perform.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Think about this man. We have enough wingers that can replace Holloway. Who else do we have after Ekholm, Bouchard and Nurse other than Broberg?

Ceci is not top 4. Kulak is not either. Wanner is not ready. Neither is Akey
You keep saying this as if Broberg has proven he's the fourth best defenceman on the team. He hasn't proven anything. Kulak is a better dman today. Ceci struggled, but look at his numbers and tell me you're confident Broberg is an upgrade.

He's not worth it at 4.6. I hope they find a way to keep him, but it's a bad bet if they make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad