Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I must have missed where Broberg was a bonafide top 4 D.
Then you clearly missed the last 2 rounds of the playoffs

Right, he played 12 games and had 2 points in the regular season.

His career stats is 81 games and 13 points in the regular season.

His playoff stats is 3 points 20 games.

Good riddance.
Do you only look at points ?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Then you clearly missed the last 2 rounds of the playoffs

Do you only look at points ?

No but it's a good place to start.

Also kind of funny given that I literally dived into the advanced stats yesterday, so I don't get the aggression.

Here you go:

HDCF% Regular Season - 7th worst among oilers dmen
HDCF% Playoffs - worst among oilers dmen
CF% Regular Season - worst among oilers dmen
CF% Playoffs - worst among oilers dmen
SF% Regular Season - worst among oilers dmen
SF% Playoffs - worst among oilers dmen
xGF% Regular Season - 6th worst among oilers dmen
xGF% Playoffs - worst among oilers dmen
SCF% Regulgar Season - 7th worst among oilers dmen
SCF% Playoffs - worst among oilers dmen

Say it with me, Cody Ceci is not a good defenceman.

Let's take a look at the numbers. Lets start with his HDCF% last year during the regular season. He was literally the worst on the team 5v5 when it came to High Danger chances.

View attachment 900508

He only got worse in the playoffs. He is not someone that you want on the ice when you have a lead with the bad reads and plays.

View attachment 900509

You might say, McDoused that's just one metric. Here is his CF% 5v5 which was 7th worst on the team (only slightly better than the 1 game Kemp played and the 12 games Broberg played).

View attachment 900503

What about the playoffs? Once again, he was worse in the playoffs than the regular season with a 42.42 CF%.

View attachment 900510

You might not be a fan of corsi, so lets take a look at a few more metrics.

During the regular season he was 8th among dmen for SF% 5v5. This means that on a team that usually played in the offensive zone, he struggled to break even.

View attachment 900504

As you can imagine this only got worse in the playoffs where his SF% went down to 44.31. He was hemmed in his own zone too often compared to the test of the defence. As a leader and a guy getting paid more, he should have better numbers.

View attachment 900511

Still not convinved? Of the 9 defenceman that played for us last year, guess who had the team worst xGF% 5v5? Thats right, Cody Ceci with 52.88%.

View attachment 900512

How about the playoffs? Much worse at 37.36%.

View attachment 900513

Finally, he also was 6th among dmen for SCF% 5v5 with 52.10% during the regular season.

View attachment 900516

Once again he was even worse in the playoffs with 38.14%.

View attachment 900514

I'm all for acquiring a guy who can help bring down our goals against. Ceci has been a massive hole defensively this year. I actually think that whoever comes in will need to be better at transitioning the puck and spend less time in their own zone..

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I watched broberg play with nurse and get absolutely crushed in every metric except on ice shooting%

The specific games in which they were a disaster are a bit foggy, but Nurse/Broberg were not good in the Final, and were also frankly awful in Game 6 against the Stars.

That pair was really good in Game 4 and 5 against the Stars, but a whole lot of mediocre (at best) after that. They just didn't have the high numbers of goals against and highlight reel f*** ups that Nurse pairs are normally known for. The fact that these didn't really occur is more luck than anything IMO, they play like that over a normal 4 round playoff and they would be wearing horns.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Everyone seems so content to give away Broberg lol. Sorry but who else do we have after him? Wanner had a great rookie year in the AHL but he's not NHL ready. Akey lost close a full year development wise last season. Vinny is gone. I don't see any top 4 Dmen available for trade right now.

Unless fans are content on playing Josh friggin Brown with Nurse until the deadline, I don't see how letting Broberg go is smart.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I watched broberg play with nurse and get absolutely crushed in every metric except on ice shooting%
So who is Broberg's replacement? There are no Dmen available or any D prospects ready to play. Unless you want Josh Brown with Nurse until the deadline, give me a better solution man

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That’s a pretty huge kick in the nuts to our future. Broberg and Holloway were supposed to be key fixtures on this team at cheap depth. They won’t be cheap now, even if we can keep them.

Have to make some hard decisions now. Ceci out has to be in play. Maybe Kulak as well. Kane to LTIR would help a lot right now.

This off season just got a lot more challenging for JJ and Bowman. Time for Bowman to show what he’s got and navigate this mess.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
It's a pickle.

I do have a feeling that both Broberg and Holloway take major leaps forward. Are either of them currently worth the offer sheets thrown at them? Absolutely not. That being said, they're both only 2 yr contracts and Holloway is definitely worth more than a 3rd round pick. Broberg I feel is a victim of better players ahead of him on the Left side. His offer sheet is too steep.

Worst case is match Holloway and take the 2nd for Broberg and walk away from it. With Kane on LTIR it gives this team amble time to be more compliant. Trade Ceci and see what Stetcher can do. Maybe see about signing Barrie to 900k.

I'm not panicking at all.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Everyone seems so content to give away Broberg lol. Sorry but who else do we have after him? Wanner had a great rookie year in the AHL but he's not NHL ready. Akey lost close a full year development wise last season. Vinny is gone. I don't see any top 4 Dmen available for trade right now.

Unless fans are content on playing Josh friggin Brown with Nurse until the deadline, I don't see how letting Broberg go is smart.
You're not letting him go though, he signed a truly ridiculous contract.

I'm a HUGE Broberg fan, I've been high on him for years. And I would never sign him to that contract. Right now they're not relying on Broberg to be a top four defenceman, they have some options (regardless of what you think of Ceci, he's still an option). Sign Broberg to this deal and your whole defence falls apart if he isn't an NHL defenceman, which is a possibility.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I’m gonna have an aneurysm. KEEP BROBERG. Please don’t lose him. He’s shown top pair potential. I love Holloway but wingers are replaceable.

f*** St. Louis. Dirty f***s
The problem with keeping Broberg is his next contract when he will have arb rights and has to be qualified. McDavid and Bouchard are up that year. Nurse is the problem contract

Wish we could just dump Nurse and Kane and call it a day.
Me and you both, brother

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You're not letting him go though, he signed a truly ridiculous contract.

I'm a HUGE Broberg fan, I've been high on him for years. And I would never sign him to that contract. Right now they're not relying on Broberg to be a top four defenceman, they have some options (regardless of what you think of Ceci, he's still an option). Sign Broberg to this deal and your whole defence falls apart if he isn't an NHL defenceman, which is a possibility.
Man Broberg is about to take a step here. He didn't just get put on the top 4 for fun. We don't have any other Dman who can play up there. Ceci is not top 4. Unless we can use the picks to get Parayko or someone, I don't think losing Broberg is a good idea.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Man Broberg is about to take a step here. He didn't just get put on the top 4 for fun. We don't have any other Dman who can play up there. Ceci is not top 4. Unless we can use the picks to get Parayko or someone, I don't think losing Broberg is a good idea.

Best case section, we use the 2nd round pick at the deadline to bring in a defenseman for that 2nd pairing.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Broberg was never really top 4, even in the finals

Game 7 6th in ice time.
Game 6 5th
Game 5 5th
Game 4 5th
Game 3 4th
Game 2 4th
Game 1 3rd

The games where he was top 4, they lost every game. Once he and Nursed were relegated to the third pairing is when he looked a lot better. So no, I do not think that small audition means is a top 4 D man yet. It does looking promising, but not yet.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
UFA's that could potentially come in cheaper than Holloway/Broberg.

Forwards: Dube, Silfverberg, Cousins, Labanc, Wheeler, Clutterbuck, Matt Martin (could use some toughness)
Defense: Schultz, Staal, Scandella, Dermott

If we signed Dube for cheap and Schultz for $2-$2.5 million and let both Holloway and Broberg walk, are we a worse team?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
UFA's that could potentially come in cheaper than Holloway/Broberg.

Forwards: Dube, Silfverberg, Cousins, Labanc, Wheeler, Clutterbuck, Matt Martin (could use some toughness)
Defense: Schultz, Staal, Scandella, Dermott

If we signed Dube for cheap and Schultz for $2-$2.5 million and let both Holloway and Broberg walk, are we a worse team?
Dube is one of those guys from Hockey Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad