Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bouchard wasn’t nearly as bad defensively as you think, then again you also think a player that plays top pairing minutes and succeeds in those minutes, wasn’t playing like a top pair D man.
We've been down this road already. You were proven wrong but you are reluctant to admit it.
All good.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Just more Stauffer nonsense.

If they weren’t taking it seriously before.. then wtf were they doing? There is no salary cap on your scouting and analytics. There is no excuse.

If you’re not taking it seriously then you shouldn’t be in the league.
I like to crap on Stauffer too from time to time, but the Oilers were totally neglecting player development.

Most teams have like 2 or 3 people in player development and the Oilers had no one. Tyler Wright and Bob Green doing amateur scouting and Keith Gretzky as Assistant GM and in charge of the AHL team. Most, maybe all, other teams have 2 or 3 people helping to prepare drafted players for pro hockey.

They used to have Scott Howson in that role, but he left in like 2019.

It seems weird, but Jeff Jackson is slowly getting the organization out of the stone ages.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I like to crap on Stauffer too from time to time, but the Oilers were totally neglecting player development.

Most teams have like 2 or 3 people in player development and the Oilers had no one. Tyler Wright and Bob Green doing amateur scouting and Keith Gretzky as Assistant GM and in charge of the AHL team. Most, maybe all, other teams have 2 or 3 people helping to prepare drafted players for pro hockey.

They used to have Scott Howson in that role, but he left in like 2019.

It seems weird, but Jeff Jackson is slowly getting the organization out of the stone ages.
I think the cynicism towards Stauffer is that he says this kind of thing every time the Oilers change management out. Did it when Holland took over, did it when Chiarelli took over. Even did it when MacT took over.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers focus should be a swift can in the ass in two areas they've been negligent in

1.) Young player development, if they can develop any one of Savoie, Lavoie, Jarventie, into a top 6 forward, that would go a looooooooong way towards helping out with the cap in the next 2-3 years. It would be really nice is Akey pans out too. But they need to focus better on putting these players in positions to succeed instead of jerking them around all over the place.

2.) Getting under the radar finds like Klim Kostin and Patrick Maroon, that can't just be a "we can do that like one time every 5 years" thing. Pro scouting needs to be better.

Drafting honestly at this stage is a bit too late. Not saying they shouldn't try to draft well, of course you should, but realistically you're looking at 2029 or 2030 before any late 1st or 2nd or 3rd round pick would be a big impact player barring a small miracle.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The Oilers focus should be a swift can in the ass in two areas they've been negligent in

1.) Young player development, if they can develop any one of Savoie, Lavoie, Jarventie, into a top 6 forward, that would go a looooooooong way towards helping out with the cap in the next 2-3 years. It would be really nice is Akey pans out too. But they need to focus better on putting these players in positions to succeed instead of jerking them around all over the place.

2.) Getting under the radar finds like Klim Kostin and Patrick Maroon, that can't just be a "we can do that like one time every 5 years" thing. Pro scouting needs to be better.

Drafting honestly at this stage is a bit too late. Not saying they shouldn't try to draft well, of course you should, but realistically you're looking at 2029 or 2030 before any late 1st or 2nd or 3rd round pick would be a big impact player barring a small miracle.

It's never too late to improve drafting. Hopefully guys taken this year will in the NHL in 3-4 years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's never too late to improve drafting. Hopefully guys taken this year will in the NHL in 3-4 years.

Sure but realistically I think the Oilers probably have to understand that anyone they draft will kinda miss the window in the next 3, maybe even 4 years.

Should have put a higher priority on getting that right 5-6 years ago.

Right now they have to be laser focused on the development of young players who could contribute as soon as next season like Savoie and finding under the radar adds for cheap.

Really if our front office does nothing else but those two things and leaves the rest to Knoblaugh, Connor, and Leon, they'll probably be OK.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Feel like stauffer wouldn't say that out of the blue. NJD probably waiting for the NHL to say it's ok for him to be signed. They are a pretty soft team so it would make sense to bring lucic in.
For sure on Stauff, he actually seems like he's still buddies with Lucic (from how that conversation sounded), I suspect Lucic will sign it, but the 'i's and 't's need their appropriate dotting and crossing before they get there.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You are the king of the dicey X rumors. Is the guy legit or not?
Lol I don’t know. Sorry I know it’s dicey but it’s better to have this for discussion instead of arguing over the 4C doesn’t it?

Maybe I’ll change my name to the King of Dice

Looked at his history and he seems to report on a lot of Oilers stuff. No idea if he calls it or parrots it though?
And I think he just parrots through. I think I’ll just delete the post. Sorry guys

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Sure but realistically I think the Oilers probably have to understand that anyone they draft will kinda miss the window in the next 3, maybe even 4 years.

Should have put a higher priority on getting that right 5-6 years ago.

Right now they have to be laser focused on the development of young players who could contribute as soon as next season like Savoie and finding under the radar adds for cheap.

Really if our front office does nothing else but those two things and leaves the rest to Knoblaugh, Connor, and Leon, they'll probably be OK.
I think the Sam O’Reilly deal might hint at what their philosophy for drafting might be over the next couple years. Guys who might not be the most skilled guys with the highest ceiling but guys who have the kind of game that translates well who could be effective middle 6 players sooner rather then later. Physically mature, strong compete level, responsible play and good iq are the types of qualities I think they’ll target in the draft.

But the pro scouting is going to be much more important over the next few years. Finding guys that aren’t getting any traction in other systems but that the Oilers could get more out of.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You are the king of the dicey X rumors. Is the guy legit or not?
It seems like he’s only ever called stuff right before. And sometimes a day or two before anyone else. He had Skinner before anyone else and I remember at the time I went back and looked at his previous posts and they all lined up.

So probably a decent chance it’s true

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad