OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
One of us. One of us.
Gooble, gobble, we accept him, we accept him, one of us, one of us!!

IMG_1748.jpeg

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

This, the General Lee and Burt Reynolds Trans Am are probably my favorite iconic movie or TV cars.

Agreed. I’d put those on my list too. Steve McQueen’s Bullit maybe another?

And as for movies and shows with a car as the theme or underlying theme, would like to nominate Gran Torino. The car was nondescript but the movie…f*** I love that movie.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
yep

For those too young to know. roller skating was huge in 70s and 80s--I think Edmonton had 10 roller rinks at one time

Because I know who Mary Ingalls is I am going to go full honesty and say I roller skated on those 4 wheeled mini foot skateboards under the disco ball.

We had 1 in the town I lived in.

Like most others it was eventually converted into a bingo hall and then a storage warehouse and then just bulldozed down.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yup been at the roller rinks as well, not sure my kids would approve.

Yep.--I enjoyed my times at a couple of the rinks. A couple of my friends from Edmonton were in London over the summer and they brought their kids.

It was amusing how my buddies left over some key parts of their high school years in talking with their kids. They spent a lot of weekends at the rinks and summer in bush parties--and according to their stories they never went out on weekends and went to church every Sunday. Their daughter, who will be attending the London School of economics, politely reminded her mother that her grandmother had kept a list of all her mother boyfriends from JR High through uni. I never got involved with her in school cause I refused to stand in lines and take numbers. Goes without saying she was not happy with her daughter response, The daughter is a smart girl and after a little more back and forth pointed out that her oldest brother was born 6 months after her parents got married.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
yep

For those too young to know. roller skating was huge in 70s and 80s--I think Edmonton had 10 roller rinks at one time

I remember Sportsworld, along the LRT tracks north of the Stadium and south of the horse racing barns in the late 70’s but none of the other ones. I wasn’t too familiar with the rest of the city back then.

Reactions: oilers'72

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I remember Sportsworld, along the LRT tracks north of the Stadium and south of the horse racing barns in the late 70’s but none of the other ones. I wasn’t too familiar with the rest of the city back then.

The two I have a clear memory about were one out by west Edmonton mall and the other in Dovercourt. I believe there were rinks in Millwoods and Sherwood Park. I remember they started dying out in the late 80s partly due to the natural decline of roller skating but due to lawsuits from people being injured doing stupid things. I know the hockey rink at Ross Shepp was turned into a roller rink a few times in the summer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad