Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
I just don't see how you have Nurse and an expensive Bouchard and win anything. Add Drai and 97's new salary
Who would you replace them with and have the same success? I dislike Nurse like everybody else but he's one of the best d-men in the league at eating up minutes.

Nurses contract would sting a lot less without the pandemic and flat cap. In a few years it will still be an overpayment but at least manageable.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I mean Broberg is not a proven top 4D. Having him anchor our 2nd pairing was setting him and the team up for failure unless he truly was ready to take that step.
He’s close enough I’d say to take that risk. Worse case scenario he’s a 3rd pair, Kulak level. So we’re looking at 1.75M overpay. (4.5 vs 2.75). That’s a much better situation than whatever Nurse is overpaid by (3M?)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He’s close enough I’d say to take that risk. Worse case scenario he’s a 3rd pair, Kulak level. So we’re looking at 1.75M overpay. (4.5 vs 2.75). That’s a much better situation than whatever Nurse is overpaid by (3M?)
Maybe the offersheet just threw a monkey wrench into everything?

Reactions: Vagabond

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Frank just said he thinks it's possible a trade could come before training camp. But the Oilers have lots of options on the table, 7 specifically. Dermott was brought up, he thought maybe the JJ-Dermott connection could make it happen.

He also said, out of all the defenceman floated around, he thinks Tony Deangelo is the best player. And he thinks he would like to come here and would come cheap. He also said Tony Deangelo did an hour long podcast this week with Daily Faceoff, if people are wondering about his lockerroom or personal issues, seems like some of it was addressed in the interview.
Thanks for posting this. I kinda dismissed D'Angelo given all the noise around him. But with your mention I sought out the podcast:

Apparently Torts has said he's the type of person he would want to be in a foxhole with (if shit was going down). Lots of mention of the guy being extremely well liked by teammates and players around the league. Interesting to hear him first hand. Beyond my perview to know his character, fit and suitability. Lots of dynamic skill as a player. Not sure about the defending side with Nurse's impulsivity at times to leave d-zone structure.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Oilers fans have mostly written it off as impossible, but someone with fresh eyes looking to shake things up would be exploring options for trading Nurse. You have to. You’re either looking for the mystery partner that completely turns 9.25 Nurses game around, or you just remove Nurse. The contract is a horrific, Nurse is deteriorating as a player, if it’s possible I would expect a new GM like Bowman to strongly consider it, he didn’t give Nurse that contract and he needs to do what’s best for the team.

Sort of makes me want a half season lockout in 2026 if it means we can get a compliance buyout haha

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
The Flames aren't trading him to Edmonton, Conroy already showed how vindictive he is by trading Tanev elsewhere when apparently the Oilers made a better offer. He'd be the perfect add though, but it's not happening.
They have Little Brother Syndrome. It's quite sad actually.
You’re probably right. The Tanev thing definitely showed us what we have to expect in the future. I don’t see the Flames doing the Oil any favours .

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
The Flames aren't trading him to Edmonton, Conroy already showed how vindictive he is by trading Tanev elsewhere when apparently the Oilers made a better offer. He'd be the perfect add though, but it's not happening.
They have Little Brother Syndrome. It's quite sad actually.
I dunno
I don’t believe this, they’ve traded with us before and Conroy has even said he’d have no problem trading with us if it made sense
A couple things to remember, we have no clue what we offered really and Tanev had a say in where he wanted to go too

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Oilers fans have mostly written it off as impossible, but someone with fresh eyes looking to shake things up would be exploring options for trading Nurse. You have to. You’re either looking for the mystery partner that completely turns 9.25 Nurses game around, or you just remove Nurse. The contract is a horrific, Nurse is deteriorating as a player, if it’s possible I would expect a new GM like Bowman to strongly consider it, he didn’t give Nurse that contract and he needs to do what’s best for the team.
Nurse isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. That's the bottom line.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If I were Bouchard's agent I'm probably starting the ask at $12AAV over an 8 year deal. Cap is going to escalate massively and I think agents are much, much more wise to that now vs. 15 years ago when players signing long term deals for manageable AAVs was the norm (to their detriment).
I'm a big fan of Bouch but that's very dangerous territory going over 10m with him. He's very good but I'd be worried about how well he'll do once Ekholm declines. He's had flashes of strong play away from Ekholm but his entire ascension has been attached at the hip of Ekholm. That's a contract the Oilers need to be careful with, he's not a "blank check" player like McDavid and Draisaitl moreso McDavid obviously.

Reactions: BarDownBobo

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Morgan Rielly and Nurse(1.725M retain) swap would be a good trade for both teams. Both need a change of scenery

And swing a deal with Calgary for Rasmus Andersson

Ekholm-Bouchard
Rielly-Andersson
Kulak-Emberson

Last edited:
Reactions: alphahelix

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Yep. Hopefully there is an internal deadline for the organization to get Drai re-signed so that we don’t lose him for nothing. At least get some assets back.
If we lose him for nothing McDavid will be gone for sure.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I dunno
I don’t believe this, they’ve traded with us before and Conroy has even said he’d have no problem trading with us if it made sense
A couple things to remember, we have no clue what we offered really and Tanev had a say in where he wanted to go too
Also the rumors we had was that we offered more but the deal included Ceci. If the Flames viewed his contract as a negative then it's not so simple.

Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Is Fabbro really that good? I’ve always thought he was more of a RD3 than a RD2.

I could see them taking a flyer on someone like Tomasino and using picks from Holloway to replace.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Fabbro is kind of more or less what Emberson is right now. Except he's going to cost us a 2nd round pick to acquire him. If he can get him for cheap then sure but right now I don't think we should be trying to experiment on the 2RD. We need a surefire stud.

One player if he's willing to waive here which I'm sure he would is Jared Spurgeon. He would be a great add at the deadline. He's exactly the type of player you're looking for to babysit Nurse

Reactions: McWeber

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Fabbro is kind of more or less what Emberson is right now. Except he's going to cost us a 2nd round pick to acquire him. If he can get him for cheap then sure but right now I don't think we should be trying to experiment on the 2RD. We need a surefire stud.

One player if he's willing to waive here which I'm sure he would is Jared Spurgeon. He would be a great add at the deadline.
It could be that any surefire top Dmen won't be available until the deadline, if at all. I actually don't mind the idea of trying a project there and if it works out decently, that player could be the trade chip that we get that upgrade with.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It could be that any surefire top Dmen won't be available until the deadline, if at all. I actually don't mind the idea of trying a project there and if it works out decently, that player could be the trade chip that we get that upgrade with.
The issue is I don't see Tortz letting him go for anything else than a 2nd round pick.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Thanks for posting this. I kinda dismissed D'Angelo given all the noise around him. But with your mention I sought out the podcast:

Apparently Torts has said he's the type of person he would want to be in a foxhole with (if shit was going down). Lots of mention of the guy being extremely well liked by teammates and players around the league. Interesting to hear him first hand. Beyond my perview to know his character, fit and suitability. Lots of dynamic skill as a player. Not sure about the defending side with Nurse's impulsivity at times to leave d-zone structure.

I think the issue with DeAngelo might now be more that he just isn't very good. He has had a hard time getting icetime on a few teams, and while I admit I haven't watched him a ton in the last couple of years, his reputation is that of an offense first kind of player. I'm not sure if that's the type of player we need - but he still might be the best available option.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Nurses D partner in junior was Deangelo

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Is Fabbro really that good? I’ve always thought he was more of a RD3 than a RD2.

I could see them taking a flyer on someone like Tomasino and using picks from Holloway to replace.
He's been mostly a 2RD, but if I remember correctly, he played 2nd pair with Ekholm. He's the kind of guy that has been kept in his 3RD role, but I don't think he's really been given an extended look at 2RD, but he absolutely looks like he has the tools to step up into a 2RD role.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Then give the 2nd lol what is this a big concern guys? This is Dante Fabbro. He's already a proven top 4 Dman

Easy - there's about a 5% chance that 2nd round pick becomes a Top 4 himself in about 6-7 years.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I like the idea of Fabbro and Emerbson each getting shots in that 2RD role. Keep playing the hot hand there.

I have to think we find a team to retain on Fabbro, unless kulak is going out... which is risky

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Then give the 2nd lol what is this a big concern guys? This is Dante Fabbro. He's already a proven top 4 Dman
You gotta look at who Fabbro will be babysitting and who he's playing in front of. Skinner at best is an average goalie. Is he the guy for that job? The Oilers need a #3D playing on the right side. Not a #5 maybe #4 on a good day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad