Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That makes him the highest paid defenseman in the league. I don't see he has earned that sort of money even with the pending cap increase. Frankly he sits in a group with guys like Makar, Hughes, Heiskanen, Fox and Dahlin. Right now he is probably at the bottom of that group in terms of what he has done so far. For this reason I'd rather see a shorter term deal at a lesser cap hit. 4 years at $8.5M would be a deal that would set him up for a really big payday when the cap space was there to support it.

Frankly, I still think $47M for the four should be doable.

I'm definitely not saying the ask is reasonable, but I'm more just highlighting the thought that in general agents aren't going to give teams many breaks on 8 year deals anymore and I don't think Bouchard's agent is any different.

It was a theme for a solid 10ish years that elite players got 8+ year extensions at market value (of the day) cap hits out of their ELC's almost as a default, then within 1-3 years the deal became heavily team friendly. Duncan Keith was the grand daddy of all of these situations, but there were many more. In worst cases, the extension out of ELC is over when the player is ~30 putting them in not a good position to cash in again unless they are the elite of the elite. Wayne Simmonds comes to mind here, he probably left $20M+ on the table simply because he had the misfortune of his deal not expiring a year or two before his game fell off a cliff.

Over the past 5-6 years agents seem much more in tune with the concept of having their client's deals go until 27/28, and if you want to push beyond that you have to pay dearly for it.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
If I were Bouchard's agent I'm probably starting the ask at $12AAV over an 8 year deal. Cap is going to escalate massively and I think agents are much, much more wise to that now vs. 15 years ago when players signing long term deals for manageable AAVs was the norm (to their detriment).

I can't see how his agent is going to be able to justify Bouchard being $3M more AAV than Makar. I can see 9.5 or 10 million easily though.

Twitter says Leon has already mentally left

I think we've heard some variation of this about Leon or Connor pretty consistently since like 2017.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I can't see how his agent is going to be able to justify Bouchard being $3M more AAV than Makar. I can see 9.5 or 10 million easily though.

More UFA years than Makar, entire deal runs through an escalating cap situation and Makar's mostly didn't.

The player comps aren't really that relevant here, this is a new world cap wise that we're walking into.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Frank just said he thinks it's possible a trade could come before training camp. But the Oilers have lots of options on the table, 7 specifically. Dermott was brought up, he thought maybe the JJ-Dermott connection could make it happen.

He also said, out of all the defenceman floated around, he thinks Tony Deangelo is the best player. And he thinks he would like to come here and would come cheap. He also said Tony Deangelo did an hour long podcast this week with Daily Faceoff, if people are wondering about his lockerroom or personal issues, seems like some of it was addressed in the interview.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
This was the last time I could find Nurse playing 30 minutes in a game that didn't go to OT. So, is been a few seasons.

Chicago Blackhawks at Edmonton Oilers Box Score — February 9, 2022 | Hockey-Reference.com

He didn't play above 26 minutes a single time last season. In fact his average ice-time was under 22 minutes.

Thanks for doing the legwork on that one. He had 2x 30 min games four seasons ago.

Saying he "chews up 30 minutes a game" is ridiculous.

Reactions: frag2

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Giordano?

Literally anyone who can play basic defense consistently at the NHL level for league min to do something about nurse not costing games is literally the only requirement.

Oilers had Gleason, Peters, Dineen, kemp, Niemelainen.
all 25-27 year olds, so it's time to move someone/or more up, or move on.

That's alot of "older"/journeymen for the AHL relatively speaking.

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Frank just said he thinks it's possible a trade could come before training camp. But the Oilers have lots of options on the table, 7 specifically. Dermott was brought up, he thought maybe the JJ-Dermott connection could make it happen.

He also said, out of all the defenceman floated around, he thinks Tony Deangelo is the best player. And he thinks he would like to come here and would come cheap. He also said Tony Deangelo did an hour long podcast this week with Daily Faceoff, if people are wondering about his lockerroom or personal issues, seems like some of it was addressed in the interview.
I wouldn't hate it. Darnell knows him from back in his Soo days. Odds are his playing time would disappear when the games matter though because he doesn't have much of a commitment to defense.

He's borderline elite offensively though, transitions well and has played 20 minutes a night for multiple teams over the years. That sounds like a Darnell Nurse partner.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Frank Seravalli saying on Oilers Now that Edmonton is looking to make a trade for a defenceman before training camp

I just don't see how they make the cap work for someone substantial unless Kane goes on LTIR. Otherwise is going to be a trade for someone cheap like Timmins.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Those rumors about Bowman looking to trade for another defensemen better be true. It's important to build chemistry between players early in the season and for us to finish as high as possible in the standings. Could we please at least win the division this year?

What even are the Oilers at this point? A behavioral correction organization? Getting Tony DeAngelo would be such an Oilers move lol. I'm not saying he's a bad player but we sure seem to take on a lot of troubled individuals for some reason.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Those rumors about Bowman looking to trade for another defensemen better be true. It's important to build chemistry between players early in the season and for us to finish as high as possible in the standings. Could we please at least win the division this year?

What even are the Oilers at this point? A behavioral correction organization? Getting Tony DeAngelo would be such an Oilers move lol. I'm not saying he's a bad player but we sure seem to take on a lot of troubled individuals for some reason.
We’re just the Edmonton Oilers. Key word Edmonton. Have to take what we can get. Actually cancel culture has been great for rounding out our roster lol.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm definitely not saying the ask is reasonable, but I'm more just highlighting the thought that in general agents aren't going to give teams many breaks on 8 year deals anymore and I don't think Bouchard's agent is any different.

It was a theme for a solid 10ish years that elite players got 8+ year extensions at market value (of the day) cap hits out of their ELC's almost as a default, then within 1-3 years the deal became heavily team friendly. Duncan Keith was the grand daddy of all of these situations, but there were many more. In worst cases, the extension out of ELC is over when the player is ~30 putting them in not a good position to cash in again unless they are the elite of the elite. Wayne Simmonds comes to mind here, he probably left $20M+ on the table simply because he had the misfortune of his deal not expiring a year or two before his game fell off a cliff.

Over the past 5-6 years agents seem much more in tune with the concept of having their client's deals go until 27/28, and if you want to push beyond that you have to pay dearly for it.
I think in this case having Bouchard sign to age 28 would probably work well for both parties.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I don't see any reason to avoid DeAngelo as long as he is good at hockey. This team's core players are a tight knit group and no one is coming here and stepping out of line. He is not coming here and acting like he's a big deal as long as Drai and McDavid are here.

I'm not sure DeAngelo is the answer though

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
If DeAngelo is available and would do the same 1.6 mil we can fit him in. Yes he is feisty but we like those guys. If he has his act together then we have a solid D corps. WE can spend up to 1.9 on him and be cap compliant. Brown goes down.

Eks Bouch
Nurse DeAngelo
Kulak Emb

Stecher

Last edited:

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Edmonton is a team of second chances.

The majority of the guys we gave second chances to had issues (Kassian, Perry, Virtanen) but they weren't locker room cancers. Kane did have that reputation coming in but he was also a really, really good hockey player. DeAngelo is a bad combination of being a locker room cancer and also not very good at hockey. I'd pass on him.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
If DeAngelo is available and would do the same 1.6 mil we can fit him in. Yes he is feisty but we like those guys. If he has his act together then we have a solid D corps. WE can spend up to 1.9 on him and be cap compliant. Brown goes down.

Eks Bouch
Nurse DeAngelo
Kulak Emb

Stecher

No chance he gets 1.6 anywhere. That's how much he signed for last year before getting healthy scratched over half the season.

Would expect it to be closer to $1m and could waive him if he sucks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad