Tribute Brad Treliving - offseason so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Moving on from AM34 is crazy. He may not be taking over every series he plays in, but he is our guy and if you move on you have 'no guy' lol

You're right but IMHO I think the " C " going to AM is more than just a symbolic move, I think it is the team telling him we want more from you, without publicly stating we want you to show us you can be "That Guy". Some really strange shit happened in the first round series against Boston. Matty was sick, Willie was sick, Marner was not 100%, McMann who was that secondary scoring we missed for so many years was sick, our Back up/ starter was injured. It was almost like the Hockey Gods were telling us, if you guys wont make changes we will. End of the day I dont want to come across as me blaming AM for anything, it was a collective ass suck for 8 years but we do need a guy to be that guy and since AM is the most talented player on our team, logically that becomes Austin. We need Austin to be our Hero.

Austin this is dedicated to you ... :sarcasm:

Reactions: ULF_55

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
My vote was he'd be re-signed in Toronto.

At this point his legacy, isn't terrific in Toronto, but he's just part of the annual all disappointment team.
Rather move on from him, but he’s not the only core player responsible for the eight years if failure here, plenty of blame to go around imo……

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Maybe Mac is convincing marner to join him in Colorado?

Leafs could be convinced ... Rantanen.

Okay, just kidding, but what the heck are the Avs going to do with Landeskog and Nichushkin coming onboard?

Rantanen? I'd drive Mitch to the Airport myself and personally hand Sakic a dozen roses and a box of chocolates ...

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Sure.. but if you remove Marner and Matthews from this group, do you really believe that there will be any playoffs?
Hypothetically it would depend on who you replaced them with and what you did with the savings to make the team more complete. No small task, but not impossible either……

You're right but IMHO I think the " C " going to AM is more than just a symbolic move, I think it is the team telling him we want more from you, without publicly stating we want you to show us you can be "That Guy". Some really strange shit happened in the first round series against Boston. Matty was sick, Willie was sick, Marner was not 100%, McMann who was that secondary scoring we missed for so many years was sick, our Back up/ starter was injured. It was almost like the Hockey Gods were telling us, if you guys wont make changes we will. End of the day I dont want to come across as me blaming AM for anything, it was a collective ass suck for 8 years but we do need a guy to be that guy and since AM is the most talented player on our team, logically that becomes Austin. We need Austin to be our Hero.

Austin this is dedicated to you ... :sarcasm:

So in your opinion the C is a symbol of mgmt’s trust in 34, snd if so what happens if success still not achieved?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
You'd be surprised at how many players from various teams reached out looking for him to join their team.

Players do this "informal" tampering all the time .. it's more common now with all the summer events they attend together. I bet Mac was sharing with Mitch about how great this that and the other thing was in Colorado and I bet Mitch was doing the same "informal" sales pitch to Mac...

So in your opinion the C is a symbol of mgmt’s trust in 34, snd if so what happens if success still not achieved?

Not just a symbol of trust but a symbol of expectations of that player. We expect you to lead. lead us to round 2, lead us to round 3, lead us to a cup. On normal teams, the C is stripped or traded, this is not a normal team, your guess is a good as mine. No idea... I would have made bigger changes long long long time ago... I'd be more like a Kelly MacKrimmon type GM than and Dubas type GM.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hypothetically it would depend on who you replaced them with and what you did with the savings to make the team more complete. No small task, but not impossible either……

Yes, if they just removed them and didn't use the $24mm in space it would be tough.

Like who is going to take the face of line 1?
1. capspace - capspace - Domi
2. McMann-Tavares-Nylander
3. Pacioretty-Kampf-Jarnkrok
4. Holmberg - Dewar - Robertson

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, if they just removed them and didn't use the $24mm in space it would be tough.

@rumman

If you are moving on from Marner and Matthews, are you going to extend Tavares, of do a wholesale change of scenery... I suppose for competitive reasons, that doesn't matter much.

When you look at available C's in UFA next year.. it's Gourde, Granlund, Bennett..... so pick on of those for line one.

When you look at wingers available. It's Rantanen, Hall, Mangiapane.... I'd think Rantanen will extend with Colorado...

So with some combination of Gourde, Granlund, Bennett, Hall, Mangiapane as replacements... ya, we aren't making the playoffs.

Here are the UFA, if you'd prefer to pick someone else.

Reactions: Roo

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
@rumman

If you are moving on from Marner and Matthews, are you going to extend Tavares, of do a wholesale change of scenery... I suppose for competitive reasons, that doesn't matter much.

When you look at available C's in UFA next year.. it's Gourde, Granlund, Bennett..... so pick on of those for line one.

When you look at wingers available. It's Rantanen, Hall, Mangiapane.... I'd think Rantanen will extend with Colorado...

So with some combination of Gourde, Granlund, Bennett, Hall, Mangiapane as replacements... ya, we aren't making the playoffs.

Avs won't have room for Rantanen after signing marner.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My vote was he'd be re-signed in Toronto.

At this point his legacy, isn't terrific in Toronto, but he's just part of the annual all disappointment team.

EDIT:

Considering all the teams we've watched since the early 60's this iteration is perhaps the greatest disappointment.

Loaded with elite talent, they have been abysmal when it comes to big games.

Team wide failure.
Disappointing no doubt, 20 years from now will that be their legacy? TBD.

Reactions: ULF_55

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Ok... so we add Rantanen and one of those C's... is that a playoff team? By the way... what happened to Knies?

1. Rantanen - Granlund - Domi

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
@rumman

In theory if you are trading Matty and Marner, if you do your job correctly you are probably getting back high end talent...probably multiple high end players, like 2 to 3 legit prospects for each player. Say it is 5 high end prospects, probably 1 to 2 years away. It might be a case of taking a step back for a couple of years and reassess where you go from there. I dont think you make the decision you are moving on from Matty and Marner expecting to make the playoffs that year or the next year. It's an admission that a reset is needed.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
@rumman

for the record I never said move 34, I said they'd have no problem selling tickets without him. My plan for success has always been losing two of 34, 16, 88, 91. Obviously 34 isn't the one I'd move first in this scenario JT would be, then either Marner or Nylander, but one's on a expiring contract that he isn't worth let alone the raise he'll demand, the other has a boat anchor of a contract. Ugly anyway you slice it............

roger that........

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
berube.in.2.weeks.png

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I'd see it more like:

1. McMann - Nylander - Domi
2. Knies - Tavares - Jarnkrok
3. Pacioretty - Kampf - capspace

Before figuring out what to do with the extra $24M.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
2. capspace = Cowan
3. capspace = Grebenkin

Leaves money for Bennett, Theodore, and Ekblad in 2025.
I also edited it to include Knies. Lots of options without even starting on the $24M. Not as good as with Matthews in particular, but not that terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad