Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
His best version was when he played most of his minutes with McDavid and the worst(this playoffs) was when he played 10% of his ice time with McDavid.

The second line actually having some NHL wingers should improve the second pairing.
Are any of the recent forward additions such as Arvidsson have a defensive minded aspect to their game? That can help if they do.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He got Norris consideration after one half season where he finished 7th in voting.

He hasn’t sniffed anywhere near a Norris vote since then lol
Notice he did all of that when he had actual good partner on defence. Maybe just maybe that's why his game isn't as good as back then? He hasn't had a good partner before or after Barrie

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
LHD: Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak
RHD: Bouchard, Emberson, Brown, Stetcher

Unless Nurse comes back greatly improved and one of Emberson, Brown and Stetcher prove to be a #4 defenseman this is not a good enough defense for a team with cup aspirations.
A team where Ceci, Bouchard, Desharnais were the RDs also wasn't good enough yet they made it to finals.

Stecher looked alright in the looks he got. This organization saw Brown as an equal or an upgrade over Desharnais and Emberson seems to be better than both.

We should be fine with this D group even if there is no add til trade deadline. Will certainly need a boost for playoffs

Reactions: MessierII

Thomas Tatar

That’s why I think the Oilers should use offer sheets to poach top young players from bad/rebuilding teams.

If you’re a top 5 pick coming out of your elc with a team that’s been bottom of the league, getting out of there and going to play on a contender with McDavid and Draisaitl would be attractive. Oilers offer 6.78M AAV which would only be a 1st and 3rd compensation then structure the deal in the worse way possible for his current team, something that takes him to just before UFA with arb rights and as big of a qualifying offer as you can make it. Player signs it and tells his current team he doesn’t want to play for them anymore.

Would a team over pay on the worse kind of bridge deal for a kid who they can’t trade for a year and who doesn’t want to be there?
But we don’t and shouldn’t have our own picks to do this. We need those assets to load up for the deadline. Poaching players via offer sheets is a game for teams that aren’t very good.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Please take Stecher and Brown out of that equation lmfao
Oilers signed them for a reason.. they could've gotten someone like Boqvist or Barrie for cheaper but I honestly they they see both of these as an upgrade over Desharnais. Emberson is better than both of these. We also have Wanner, Kemp and Akey coming down the pipeline. Time to test drive these guys before looking elsewhere.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Heard barrie might come here on a PTO? Barf

Why did Nashville keep scratching him
Because they felt Fabbro and Schenn were an upgrade.
They would've beat the Nucks in playoffs had they played Barrie ahead if Schenn more.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not really. He wasn’t getting Norris consideration for no reason
Tyson Barrie had Norris consideration at one time too.

Nurse has been an unreliable dman for most of his career. Thats especially true after 2021.
He will be 30 years old this season too. His best years (as few and far between as those have been) are soon to be behind him.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
But we don’t and shouldn’t have our own picks to do this. We need those assets to load up for the deadline. Poaching players via offer sheets is a game for teams that aren’t very good.
Well maybe you change the game.

Would you rather spend a 1st on a rental or would you rather spend a 1st and 3rd on a 21 year old top 3 pick that you’ll have cost controlled for multiple years?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Well maybe you change the game.

Would you rather spend a 1st on a rental or would you rather spend a 1st and 3rd on a 21 year old top 3 pick that you’ll have cost controlled for multiple years?
If that's all you're offering.

Those teams will just match, you're wasting your time in those scenarios.

Reactions: Thomas Tatar

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If that's all you're offering.

Those teams will just match, you're wasting your time in those scenarios.
I don’t know that teams automatically will match it.

A 3x6.78M deal could be structured to have a qualifying offer over 10M and would take the player to within a year of UFA. At that point he could refuse to negotiate and you would have to extend that qualifying offer to him or lose his rights, which he could sign and then be a year away from ufa.

The guy has told you he doesn’t want to play for your team and you can’t trade him now for a year. The offer sheeting team could even throw in an unfavourable nmc that converts to a modified ntc in the last year of the deal to make it even harder for the matching team to trade him.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He got Norris consideration after one half season where he finished 7th in voting.

He hasn’t sniffed anywhere near a Norris vote since then lol

I think his 5v5 goal scoring really stood out that year. Was riding a really high shooting % though. Bit of an aberration, more than double his career sh%. His skating was great that season, he was all over the ice. Another thing that has unfortunately fallen off with his injuries.

He was definitely trending up for a while, but seems he really slammed into a ceiling right around the time he secured generational wealth. Losing McDavid ice time and his speed being cut down probably the main factors. Won't really question his desire to win, although, maybe he hasn't gone as hard doing extra stuff lately like when he did skills coaching with Oates.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think his 5v5 goal scoring really stood out that year. Was riding a really high shooting % though. Bit of an aberration, more than double his career sh%. His skating was great that season, he was all over the ice. Another thing that has unfortunately fallen off with his injuries.

He was definitely trending up for a while, but seems he really slammed into a ceiling right around the time he secured generational wealth. Losing McDavid ice time and his speed being cut down probably the main factors. Won't really question his desire to win, although, maybe he hasn't gone as hard doing extra stuff lately like when he did skills coaching with Oates.
Nurse has always had the physical tools and he had a very high level of compete as well.
In the early years I think thats what made him such an intriguing player. As time moved forward though it became very apparent that he just didnt think the game very well and he just wasnt skilled enough to carry his D partner at all.
Now that his skating/physical ability has dropped off he cant seem to recover from his poor reads nearly as well. Its not going to get any better either.
If there is any way to offload him this season I sure hope that Bowman and Jackson take advantage of it.

Nurse to me is exactly why this new mindset of paying players for what they might do is such a problem.
It used to be that a player got paid once he actually had accomplished something.
The contracts were at least tied to merit back then. Not now.

Wouldnt it be amazing if all of us in the workforce got paid for what we had possibility of accomplishing?

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
If we can tread water with this D until TDL won't we have like 10M in accrued cap space? Sure we can use some of that to pick up a Larsson equivalent and even broker some deals and get some picks back for 2025.

And I'm actually pretty bullish on Stetcher as long as we're in the regular season.
4.4 I believe. If you can get 50% retention however... That being said, we can accrue cap space as long as someone isn't on LTIR. If say Kane goes on LTIR, then we do get 5.1 in cap space, but it's gone as soon as he comes back. With him not on LTIR, that is actual cap space we can use with Kane playing at the same time. I don't know what they're going to do.

Thet fact that Nurse was a top pairing D on this team just speaks to how brutal the defence on this team was back then.
Facts.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
One thing to also keep in mind is that Emberson needs to play 50 games to go from UFA to RFA status with us. The coach is very familiar with him, so I think they have high hopes for him. If he's good, it's very important that they get him in those games. 3rd pairing at the least, but as I've posted before I think they believe he can take that 2nd RHD spot.

For now at least with the roster as it is.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Nurse has always had the physical tools and he had a very high level of compete as well.
In the early years I think thats what made him such an intriguing player. As time moved forward though it became very apparent that he just didnt think the game very well and he just wasnt skilled enough to carry his D partner at all.
Now that his skating/physical ability has dropped off he cant seem to recover from his poor reads nearly as well. Its not going to get any better either.
If there is any way to offload him this season I sure hope that Bowman and Jackson take advantage of it.

Nurse to me is exactly why this new mindset of paying players for what they might do is such a problem.
It used to be that a player got paid once he actually had accomplished something.
The contracts were at least tied to merit back then. Not now.

Wouldnt it be amazing if all of us in the workforce got paid for what we had possibility of accomplishing?

Nurse got 9.25 after his one great year. Not a great example of getting paid for potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad