Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Darnell Nurse plays like a #1 defenceman this year and all of these issues are taken care of.

I have a hunch he will be back to his peak.

Whats this based off? Surely cant be evidence from his play lol

Even at his peak he was never a #1. But even a bounce back to a solid #2 or #3 would be amazing, although unlikely

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
LHD: Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak
RHD: Bouchard, Emberson, Brown, Stetcher

Unless Nurse comes back greatly improved and one of Emberson, Brown and Stetcher prove to be a #4 defenseman this is not a good enough defense for a team with cup aspirations.
It's not much of a downgrade from the defense that played most of last season and I think it's pretty much a guarantee that they add at the deadline. This front office appears to way more proactive than Holland.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
While it would be nice to sign another player like Lindstrom, I'm fine to see what the new dynamic is like.

It's funny because before when we had all veteran names it's like 'our vets suck, trade them for better players' or 'our prospects don't get enough opportunity'. Now it's like 'you can't count on kids to take us to the SCF' and 'who is going to play with Nurse, we are screwed'.

I would like to try:
Nurse Bouchard
Ekholm Embersen
Kulak Stetcher

Let Ek mentor a new young kid and see if Nurse-Bouch have any chemistry.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
LHD: Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak
RHD: Bouchard, Emberson, Brown, Stetcher

Unless Nurse comes back greatly improved and one of Emberson, Brown and Stetcher prove to be a #4 defenseman this is not a good enough defense for a team with cup aspirations.

Wouldn't be surprised seeing a PTO. Still hoping there is a full year LTIR scam plan :) Bowman can have 5m+ to make a move if Emberson or Stecher can't work with Nurse.

Emberson is probably the big wild card. I'm sure the org is high on him, along with Knob. They might be making a little bet that this guy has a chance to be a Nurse partner. But, we have the flexibility to make a move if that doesn't work. Think we're going into the season without a significant upgrade. Hope we survive! If we start really bad and look weak, cost to get that needed D goes up.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
GMChevy with another solid recovery from a player that doesn't want to play in Winnipeg. Took his time and didn't blink with panic deal to get comparable pedigree back though a wildly different play style and physical attributes.

Trend of young players asserting their leverage to seek their destination continues. Jager's a good Sasky boy so I'll root for his success.
That’s why I think the Oilers should use offer sheets to poach top young players from bad/rebuilding teams.

If you’re a top 5 pick coming out of your elc with a team that’s been bottom of the league, getting out of there and going to play on a contender with McDavid and Draisaitl would be attractive. Oilers offer 6.78M AAV which would only be a 1st and 3rd compensation then structure the deal in the worse way possible for his current team, something that takes him to just before UFA with arb rights and as big of a qualifying offer as you can make it. Player signs it and tells his current team he doesn’t want to play for them anymore.

Would a team over pay on the worse kind of bridge deal for a kid who they can’t trade for a year and who doesn’t want to be there?

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Dunno if anyone knows this answer,

But if the Oilers remain under the cap and begin to accrue until the deadline, and Kane goes onto the LTIR just prior to the deadline, would we have our accrued cap space AS WELL as LTImoney?

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
The thing with LTIR scam is we didn't just want healthy Kane for playoffs, we want healthy and confident Kane for playoffs. Kane like any goal scorer is streaky. I want 2022 playoffs Kane.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
There's more options down the line if you broaden your horizon and the 2026 1st + 2nd 2025 gets put on the table.

Oleksiask
Larsson
Chychrun
Jensen
Erik Karlsson @ salary retained
TJ Brodie
Ivan Provorov
Cam Fowler

Maybe even like an Artem Zub if Ottawa flames out again.

You can also just bring back Cody Ceci for likely not a lot, to get salary retention will probably require a 3rd team but it will be a low amount of money to retain.
Would rather not burn prime assets for old guys and a lot of those guys are. Oilers need to get younger at some point, their last two main acquisitions are in their mid 30s although still good.

Zub would be an interesting target if they're going all in with their assets. Pulock would be a good target but that contract is probably too rich.
Rasmus Andersson would be the ideal target, sadly, and I say sadly because no chance Calgary trades him here.
Maybe somebody unknown right now frees up later.

Most of the names on your list I'm not trading a 1st+ for. The Oilers need to be selective with their upgrade to think about now and the future, not just trade for anybody.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
GMChevy with another solid recovery from a player that doesn't want to play in Winnipeg. Took his time and didn't blink with panic deal to get comparable pedigree back though a wildly different play style and physical attributes.

Trend of young players asserting their leverage to seek their destination continues. Jager's a good Sasky boy so I'll root for his success.

This is happening in workplaces all over. Kids coming in expecting everything while deserving nothing. It's crazy to see, and since hockey is a privileged sport, I fully expect to see it here too.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The thing with LTIR scam is we didn't just want healthy Kane for playoffs, we want healthy and confident Kane for playoffs. Kane like any goal scorer is streaky. I want 2022 playoffs Kane.

Kane with 1-2 months of full contact practice, grabbing his stomach and hunching over a bit every time media are around to ask him how he's progressing ;), to prepare for game 1, plus a 5M+ solid RHD that solidifies our top 4 D.

vs

Kane coming back in some months early and maybe does or doesn't get his game back, with something like our current D group.

For me, I definitely want the 2 5M+ player option. Fixing our top 4 D changes so much about this roster and our chances to go all the way in my view.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Kane with 1-2 months of full contact practice, grabbing his stomach and hunching over a bit every time media are around to ask him how he's progressing ;), to prepare for game 1, plus a 5M+ solid RHD that solidifies our top 4 D.

vs

Kane coming back in some months early and maybe does or doesn't get his game back, with something like our current D group.

For me, I definitely want the 2 5M+ player option. Fixing our top 4 D changes so much about this roster and our chances to go all the way in my view.
With the way the cap is set up now, they can add an $8M defenseman at the deadline even if Kane doesn't miss a game.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
That’s why I think the Oilers should use offer sheets to poach top young players from bad/rebuilding teams.

If you’re a top 5 pick coming out of your elc with a team that’s been bottom of the league, getting out of there and going to play on a contender with McDavid and Draisaitl would be attractive. Oilers offer 6.78M AAV which would only be a 1st and 3rd compensation then structure the deal in the worse way possible for his current team, something that takes him to just before UFA with arb rights and as big of a qualifying offer as you can make it. Player signs it and tells his current team he doesn’t want to play for them anymore.

Would a team over pay on the worse kind of bridge deal for a kid who they can’t trade for a year and who doesn’t want to be there?
As they discovered everything should be on the table in managing their thin talent pool depth. Why the McLeod trade was so perfect. Act pro-actively and Broberg/Holloway had similar potential to deliver a more qualified return to help a weak prospect system. The short-term challenge is their A-List assets will be needed for roster upgrades notably RD and hopefully no injuries elsewhere.

Now maybe when they get through their salary crunch with three core super elites they can be on the other side of poaching young talent. But agree, be open to all scenarios to acquire pedigree young talent to sustain the winning window.

GMChevy's media avail is worth a listen. I just got that late stages of it but he walks through some of the perceived challenges with young talent regarding development, managing expectations to play, etc. This from a market that tends to get kicked in the junk by an increasingly impatient young workforce.

Reactions: Duke74

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This is happening in workplaces all over. Kids coming in expecting everything while deserving nothing. It's crazy to see, and since hockey is a privileged sport, I fully expect to see it here too.
Loyalty is dead. It's two way street with corporate profitability and layoffs and viable options for employees if the market presents itself. Without question elite hockey player demographics have shifted from generations ago straight off the farm with part-time summer jobs to supplement income. Sad to see that a kid with a Canadian Dad thumbs his nose up to Winnipeg. That following a French Canadian kid also do so.

I enjoyed GMChevy's media avail which included variations of some of these emergent issues of managing expectations with young players. He does a real good job and never plays the victim card.

Reactions: Duke74 and jukon

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
With the way the cap is set up now, they can add an $8M defenseman at the deadline even if Kane doesn't miss a game.

Guess we have to see if some miracles happen with what we have. If somehow Emberson plays well with Nurse on the 2nd pair, so many options open up. I think Kulak-Stecher would do fine as a 3rd pair.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Whats this based off? Surely cant be evidence from his play lol

Even at his peak he was never a #1. But even a bounce back to a solid #2 or #3 would be amazing, although unlikely

It’s based on a 56 game sample size in which he played the same bottom feeder teams over and over again.

Darnell Nurse is the equivalent of a 1D as to what Nugent Hopkins is to a 1C.

Reactions: M Ace and McSuper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad