Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | All Star Break Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
There is absolutely zero evidence of this. Sure you can point to the AHL but you don't think Kulak would be crushing the AHL too?

And yeah, they are the bottom pair so their total ice time is lower, however unlike most they are actually getting a good percentage of their time against elites, they aren't being sheltered at all, we are just playing our better players more.

They are a saw off in goal differential for the entire year, but since the coaching change the pairing is a +4 5v5, and are massively limiting chances.

Heck during this win streak they have been on for a single goal against 5v5 overall. (The Nurse/Ceci pairing has been struggling the most but still positive overall).

If we are looking at moving a player its not Kulak, it's Ceci.
Yup. Kulak is an experienced guy that fits Knob’s system perfectly. He and Desharnais have formed the best and least sheltered bottom pairing the Oilers have had in a looooong time. You better be adding a massive piece if you think breaking them up will improve team.

Broberg is basically the polar opposite of Kulak. He’s an AHL player that has struggled at everything that makes Kulak excel under Knob. You have to be ignoring context or just have a lack of understanding of the position to think he would seamlessly replace Kulak.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Fair point... it's not a very Holland move. And I'm biased because I was calling for a 1-2 punch of 1) moving Kulak in the summer so that we could accrue his cap hit for the deadline (while fully committing to 50 games of Broberg) and then 2) moving Ceci for a massive (like true shutdown #2) upgrade at the deadline... plus a vet to support Broberg.

As of now I agree, it's high risk to move both unless you call up Broberg yesterday and give him reps now until the deadline.

Agree that Ceci is the only one likely to move... just wish Holland had been thinking ahead to this deadline a bit more... we are pretty hamstrung.
I mean, Broberg had a rough end to the year, he was playing bad enough that even with Desharnais playing like crap inthe playoffs, coaching staff didn't even trust Broberg to cover for him much. Broberg also didn't show well in camp.

Broberg not getting icetime this year had to do with his play to end the year, and how well Kulak was in the playoffs. He didn't give them a reason to believe he could take over for Kulak yet.

I am sure Holland would love if he could have moved out Kulak and had Broberg come in and not skip a beat to start the year, but they didn't trust he could do that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I mentioned this before and I do think it makes sense given that Hart's situation is very unlikely to be resolved before he becomes a UFA. Petersen can still be buried so there is no immediate cap concerns. And the cost to shed his contract would be a lot less than for Campbell. But Campbell is a reasonable risk for the Flyers. He has been an NHL level goaltender in the past.

I think you could turn around and move Petersen at the deadline with some retention at a minimal cost as well. Perhaps as a three way deal.

To Philly: Jack Campbell + something small

TO Edmonton: Cal Petersen

To Chicago: Cal Petersen $1M retained + 2025 3rd + 2026 4th

Chicago buys out Petersen in the offseason.
It's going to be a lot bigger than something small to sell a team on those 2 extra years of term.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I would rather they keep him. I think he'll be a good player but if they want forward depth this would help team now and in future.

Kakko puts up decent defensive numbers, and has untapped offense.

It is the one trade that includes Broberg that I think both teams could end up satisfied.
Sounds like that we used to say about puljujarvi

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Yup. Kulak is an experienced guy that fits Knob’s system perfectly. He and Desharnais have formed the best and least sheltered bottom pairing the Oilers have had in a looooong time. You better be adding a massive piece if you think breaking them up will improve team.

Broberg is basically the polar opposite of Kulak. He’s an AHL player that has struggled at everything that makes Kulak excel under Knob. You have to be ignoring context or just have a lack of understanding of the position to think he would seamlessly replace Kulak.
Kulak was abysmal to start the year under woodcoft and Broberg hasn't played a single minute for knob or coffey this entire post isnt genuine. I swear people are open to giving Campbell rope but not a young player who got 8 minutes a night who sat for extended periods of time if he made a single mistake.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Kulak was abysmal to start the year under woodcoft and Broberg hasn't played a single minute for knob or coffey this entire post isnt genuine. I swear people are open to giving Campbell rope but not a young player who got 8 minutes a night who sat for extended periods of time if he made a single mistake.
Because Woodcroft’s system was ass. Kulak just happened to massively improve when they swapped to a system that fit all of his strengths.

Broberg has been terrible on gap control, defending the blue line, quick outlets and holding the blue line. He isn’t going to magically turn all those into strengths now that they’re running a system that relies on those things.

Too many people talk like it’s the NHL video game where you swap a 75 overall out for a 72 overall or something and completely ignore skillset and fit.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
There is zero chance this team is changing 1/3 of their dcore in season. That almost never succeeds.
But if we are moving Kulak and bringing in Broberg, we HAVE to replace Ceci cause there is a low chance that Broberg and Desharnais can handle the load that Kulak and Desharnais are. Over time sure, maybe. But if you are replacing Kulak with Broberg, you HAVE to expect them to have struggles, which means sheltering, which means tougher minutes for the other 2 pairings and Ceci isn't even doing all that well with the minutes he has now. So overall that would HURT our dcore.

But I mean I guess they can replace both Ceci and Kulak but I just don't see that as a Holland move.

He has shown that he can put up near identical stats in the AHL to Ben Gleason, albeit next to no goals.
I agree with this whole post but I don’t like the Gleason comment. AHL vets outperform the prospects all the time.

Last edited:

Green Xero

I just don't care
Aug 2, 2023
Hell
The position the Oilers should improve is Foegele's spot(2RW). He's 100% walking.
Hell no. Use him as a rental. Hes playing well and seems to be a guy the other players like. I also dont think he'd get much of a return anyway. If he walks at the end of the season so be it. I'd work on trying to move Kane first.

Reactions: frag2 and stewy04

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
our bottom

I agree with this whole post but I don’t like the Gleason comment. AHL vets outperform the prospects all the time.
Im not trying to say Gleason will be a better player, just saying at this point of time they are relatively even players, even though I believe since Broberg has gone down he has gotten a massive push.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hell no. Use him as a rental. Hes playing well and seems to be a guy the other players like. I also dont think he'd get much of a return anyway. If he walks at the end of the season so be it.
Sorry what I meant was bring in someone like Tarasenko and move Foegele down one spot.

Reactions: Green Xero

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hell no. Use him as a rental. Hes playing well and seems to be a guy the other players like. I also dont think he'd get much of a return anyway. If he walks at the end of the season so be it. I'd work on trying to move Kane first.
Kane shows up big in the playoffs. If you can use Foegele to get a legit top 6 guy with either term or cost us less in assets for a rental, I think you do it. Foegele has been very good for us but he has always been a streaky player. At some point he will be back to being a third liner and will stop scoring. Might have to sell high to improve. That said I don't think he needs to move but he isn't untouchable.

Reactions: Green Xero

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Kulak has been benched on multiple occasions during this winstreak during close games.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Anyone down for a Campbell for Cal Petersen trade? Sounds like some Flyers fans would take Campbell who had been playing well.

Petersen has the same contract albeit two years less.

Not only would I do that, I would also give Philly a 1st round pick.

Philadelphia would need something to take on the 2 extra years of Campbell.

We could then keep Petersen as a backup, trade him to a 3rd team or buy him out for 1M next season and then 2M the following season.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The position the Oilers should improve is Foegele's spot(2RW). He's 100% walking.
Add Konecny and then Foegele goes back to the bottom 6 and his stats suddenly won't be as good and he should be more affordable on his next deal. IMO he has made great strides in terms of his stickhandling this season but he really isn't very strong for his size. If he is crap in the playoffs again, watching him walk wouldn't be very sad IMO.

Reactions: Canovin

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Not only would I do that, I would also give Philly a 1st round pick.

Philadelphia would need something to take on the 2 extra years of Campbell.

We could then keep Petersen as a backup, trade him to a 3rd team or buy him out for 1M next season and then 2M the following season.
They could make it a monster by including Broberg and Konecny

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's going to be a lot bigger than something small to sell a team on those 2 extra years of term.
I am not so sure. It would be if they saw him as a cap dump. But his play in the AHL may have them looking at him as an NHL option. They have effectively lost Hart for this year and next at the very least. And after that there is uncertainty. The UFA goalie market is basically abysmal with a lot of teams looking for goalies. And they probably don't want to have to throw Ersson completely to the wolves.

Petersen also makes $6M next year so they save $600k in real money next year while the real money cost of Campbell over the last two years is only $8.1M. If Campbell flops and they have to buy him out the cost is manageable.

The reality is that Campbell's play in the AHL has been at least notable. The guy has an NHL resume with an admittedly long ago high-end pedigree. Philly might bite. GM's tend to think their team can find gems in an old rock. TO took on two year of Matt Murray with a $4.7M cap hit for a 3rd and a 7th. Murray also had injury issues.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I am not so sure. It would be if they saw him as a cap dump. But his play in the AHL may have them looking at him as an NHL option. They have effectively lost Hart for this year and next at the very least. And after that there is uncertainty. The UFA goalie market is basically abysmal with a lot of teams looking for goalies. And they probably don't want to have to throw Ersson completely to the wolves.

Petersen also makes $6M next year so they save $600k in real money next year while the real money cost of Campbell over the last two years is only $8.1M. If Campbell flops and they have to buy him out the cost is manageable.

The reality is that Campbell's play in the AHL has been at least notable. The guy has an NHL resume with an admittedly long ago high-end pedigree. Philly might bite. GM's tend to think their team can find gems in an old rock.
I really wish you were right but I don't think his play in the AHL has effected his value one bit. He's a $5M AHL goalie right now with 3+ years of term left. If they were able to get rid of his last 2 years of term for relative free such as your proposal for Peterson that would be the miracle of all miracles.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I really wish you were right but I don't think his play in the AHL has effected his value one bit. He's a $5M AHL goalie right now with 3+ years of term left. If they were able to get rid of his last 2 years of term for relative free such as your proposal for Peterson that would be the miracle of all miracles.
I admit that there is a lot of hope involved in this even with the Petersen exchange. If you are Philly though what are your options? Trade real assets for a guy who might not be better or take your chance on a goalie that has a career .909 sv% at the NHL level. The only other likely alternative is basically to go cheap and sign a guy who is a career tweener. That does not sound to me like Philly's style.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Add Konecny and then Foegele goes back to the bottom 6 and his stats suddenly won't be as good and he should be more affordable on his next deal. IMO he has made great strides in terms of his stickhandling this season but he really isn't very strong for his size. If he is crap in the playoffs again, watching him walk wouldn't be very sad IMO.
My thoughts exactly.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Do you have links to those games?

I’m seeing Kulak/Desharnais at 9.5 minutes of 5v5 TOI per game when the score is within 1. (He’s got a 0.4 GA/60 during that too, btw). The other guys are at 13.5 minutes. Seems pretty standard for TOI splits.
Off the top of my head he was benched for a significant time during the LA game and the Detroit game.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

The reality is that Campbell's play in the AHL has been at least notable. The guy has an NHL resume with an admittedly long ago high-end pedigree. Philly might bite. GM's tend to think their team can find gems in an old rock.
My bigger worry is that Holland views Campbell as an NHL option and the rumours about the Oilers calling up Campbell makes me uneasy. He's just not a good player and even with this hot streak, he still has worse AHL stats than both Pickard and Rodrigue. Heck his AHL save percentage is less than Pickard's NHL save percentage. If you have the opportunity to flip Campbell for Petersen one for one you do it all day every day, but I'm genuinely concerned that Campbell might dress in an Oilers game again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad