Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | All Star Break Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Kulak has had his ice time decrease under KK. He no longer is on the PK and doesn’t play PP. he is a 12-14 minute ES 3rd pairing D-Man. You don’t pay those guys close to 3M. It’s terrible use of cap. He also has very little ability to move the puck. He can transport using his skating- but when pressured he doesn’t have the ability to make plays

I’m personally not touching that Kulak-Desharnais pairing until the summer. In the meantime, we need to look at dumping Ceci as he has been the weakest link on our defense.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I’m personally not touching that Kulak-Desharnais pairing until the summer. In the meantime, we need to look at dumping Ceci as he has been the weakest link on our defense.
This defence as it stands right now has been a big part of why they have won 16 games in a row.
I dont see that group of 6 as an issue at the moment.
One upgrade that I think would really help the team is 3rd line centre. The other possibility would be a 2nd line winger.
Outside of that unless the player is a clear upgrade on Ceci I jusy dont see how it benefits the team to replace a player thats done a pretty good job under Knoblauch/Coffey and take a chance that the replacement is no better.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucks_oil

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
It would be interesting to see what his record is against Vegas after he got traded.
Surprisingly has only faced them twice (in 21-22)
Gave up 5 goals in first 2 periods before getting pulled in 2nd intermission in first game and gave up 3 goals in a 4-1 loss in his second game

0-2, .877SV%, 4.92 GAA

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Kulak has had his ice time decrease under KK. He no longer is on the PK and doesn’t play PP. he is a 12-14 minute ES 3rd pairing D-Man. You don’t pay those guys close to 3M. It’s terrible use of cap. He also has very little ability to move the puck. He can transport using his skating- but when pressured he doesn’t have the ability to make plays
Yet Kulak/Desharnais's minutes vs. elite competition has gone up significantly under Knob.

They're just shy of playing 30% of their ice time against elite competition. Broberg saw 11%(the lowest in the entire league) last season.

Knob has been rolling the pairs during the win streak. Desharnais is 1st on the D core in %vsElite while Kulak is third in the last 16 games. This isn't some sheltered bottom pairing anymore. They're basically getting second pairing defensive zone responsibilities now.

You swap Broberg in there and you have to go back to only playing them against 4th lines.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I see a lot of fans wanting to trade players that are working well here. There no way Foegele is being moved. McDavid did want him moved in the off season. I like Broberg and think he will be better than Nurse in his prime. Fans that are throwing up his D+5 aren't looking deep enough. How long was he injured for over that time, how many games did it take him to get back up to speed ? How long did it take him to adjust to the NA game ? I see Broberg being thrown into proposal like he a sweetener. If we trade Broberg it better be a home run. Go get Larsson/or a similar player (RD) and Walker and run

Nurse Vinny
Ekholm Bouchard
Broberg Larsson
Walker at 50% can slot in where needed

Ceci and Kulak out creates more cap than Larsson and Walker at 50% cost, Add Tank 75% retained so another team would need to be involved and we would need to set back Janmark from Ottawa and if possible at a RC

RNH McDavid Hyman
Kane Draisaitl Tank
McLeod Holloway Foegele Would be the fast 3rd line in the NHL
Gagner Ryan Brown new C . Bottom 3 all righties incase we need them

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Anyone down for a Campbell for Cal Petersen trade? Sounds like some Flyers fans would take Campbell who had been playing well.

Petersen has the same contract albeit two years less.

Reactions: McDoused

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yet Kulak/Desharnais's minutes vs. elite competition has gone up significantly under Knob.

They're just shy of playing 30% of their ice time against elite competition. Broberg saw 11%(the lowest in the entire league) last season.

Knob has been rolling the pairs during the win streak. Desharnais is 1st on the D core in %vsElite while Kulak is third in the last 16 games. This isn't some sheltered bottom pairing anymore. They're basically getting second pairing defensive zone responsibilities now.

You swap Broberg in there and you have to go back to only playing them against 4th lines.

To the bolded: how do you know?

Couldn't it be that Desharnais is carrying Kulak? Or at least contributing more? It passes my eye test at least.

I took a look back at Broberg's ten games this year. There wasn't really a stinker in there, at least based on the counting stats in comparison to the other Oilers D in the same game. During that time, the Oilers went 2-7-1... Bouchard had three games where he was -3, Nurse, Ekholm, Kulak, all had at least 3 games where they were negative 2. Broberg had one game at -2 and one game at -1 in 5 mins which seemed to be the trigger to send him down... and call up Lavoie.

I think he was a victim of circumstance more than anything else. Having biased myself by rewatching his 2018 WJC and Hlinka highlights and seeing how he's doing down in the AHL, it would be really nice to see him get some reps up here before the trade deadline.

I understand we may not want to break up Kulak-Desharnais necessarily... but the way I look at it, we have to decide if Kulak is our own deadline rental, or we can do better... if we can trade him and Ceci to upgrade our 2nd pairing and 3C and then have Broberg slide in, it could be a risk worth taking. It is a much more efficient use of deadline cash.

Objectively, the equation is: Kulak + 1st + 3rd + Prospect > or < a $6M defenseman or $5M forward @ 50% retention... I say I'd rather have the upgraded forward or D. (or both since we'd also move Ceci)

Template:
Out: Kulak ($2.75) + Ceci ($3.25) + demote one of our league min forwards
In: Broberg ($863K) + $6M 2nd pairing RD with 33% retained + $4M 3C with 50% retained

And you would still have about $2.3M in AAV cap space left over (according to cap friendly) for a 1B goalie.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

They're still the lowest pair in terms of total on-ice time vs elites. By a lot.

Kulak's main success on that pairing is his ability to curb opposing zone entries with possession. He's pretty average in every other facet. They're also a saw off in goal differential.

Desharnais is getting the additional responsibilities and I think that it's obvious that he's been the stronger part of that pairing this season.

There's probably very little drop off from Kulak to Broberg.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Would be the easiest swap of all time.

I can’t imagine the Flyers would touch that with a 10,000 foot pole.
The Oilers would have to add, and the only reason I think the Flyers would is that think Campbell can play with more consistency at the NHL level than Petersen

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They're still the lowest pair in terms of total on-ice time vs elites. By a lot.

Kulak's main success on that pairing is his ability to curb opposing zone entries with possession. He's pretty average in every other facet. They're also a saw off in goal differential.

Desharnais is getting the additional responsibilities and I think that it's obvious that he's been the stronger part of that pairing this season.

There's probably very little drop off from Kulak to Broberg.
There is absolutely zero evidence of this. Sure you can point to the AHL but you don't think Kulak would be crushing the AHL too? Gleason is performing just as well.

And yeah, they are the bottom pair so their total ice time is lower, however unlike most they are actually getting a good percentage of their time against elites, they aren't being sheltered at all, we are just playing our better players more.

They are a saw off in goal differential for the entire year, but since the coaching change the pairing is a +4 5v5, and are massively limiting chances.

Heck during this win streak they have been on for a single goal against 5v5 overall. (The Nurse/Ceci pairing has been struggling the most but still positive overall).

If we are looking at moving a player its not Kulak, it's Ceci.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
To the bolded: how do you know?

Couldn't it be that Desharnais is carrying Kulak? Or at least contributing more? It passes my eye test at least.

I took a look back at Broberg's ten games this year. There wasn't really a stinker in there, at least based on the counting stats in comparison to the other Oilers D in the same game. During that time, the Oilers went 2-7-1... Bouchard had three games where he was -3, Nurse, Ekholm, Kulak, all had at least 3 games where they were negative 2. Broberg had one game at -2 and one game at -1 in 5 mins which seemed to be the trigger to send him down... and call up Lavoie.

I think he was a victim of circumstance more than anything else. Having biased myself by rewatching his 2018 WJC and Hlinka highlights and seeing how he's doing down in the AHL, it would be really nice to see him get some reps up here before the trade deadline.

I understand we may not want to break up Kulak-Desharnais necessarily... but the way I look at it, we have to decide if Kulak is our own deadline rental, or we can do better... if we can trade him and Ceci to upgrade our 2nd pairing and 3C and then have Broberg slide in, it could be a risk worth taking. It is a much more efficient use of deadline cash.

Objectively, the equation is: Kulak + 1st + 3rd + Prospect > or < a $6M defenseman or $5M forward @ 50% retention... I say I'd rather have the upgraded forward or D. (or both since we'd also move Ceci)

Template:
Out: Kulak ($2.75) + Ceci ($3.25) + demote one of our league min forwards
In: Broberg ($863K) + $6M 2nd pairing RD with 33% retained + $4M 3C with 50% retained

And you would still have about $2.3M in AAV cap space left over (according to cap friendly) for a 1B goalie.
There is zero chance this team is changing 1/3 of their dcore in season. That almost never succeeds.
But if we are moving Kulak and bringing in Broberg, we HAVE to replace Ceci cause there is a low chance that Broberg and Desharnais can handle the load that Kulak and Desharnais are. Over time sure, maybe. But if you are replacing Kulak with Broberg, you HAVE to expect them to have struggles, which means sheltering, which means tougher minutes for the other 2 pairings and Ceci isn't even doing all that well with the minutes he has now. So overall that would HURT our dcore.

But I mean I guess they can replace both Ceci and Kulak but I just don't see that as a Holland move.

Proving he was good enough to take over #1 pp duty while adjusting to a full time top 4 pairing Dman. What has Broberg done this year that's even close?
He has shown that he can put up near identical stats in the AHL to Ben Gleason, albeit next to no goals.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Anyone down for a Campbell for Cal Petersen trade? Sounds like some Flyers fans would take Campbell who had been playing well.

Petersen has the same contract albeit two years less.
I mentioned this before and I do think it makes sense given that Hart's situation is very unlikely to be resolved before he becomes a UFA. Petersen can still be buried so there is no immediate cap concerns. And the cost to shed his contract would be a lot less than for Campbell. But Campbell is a reasonable risk for the Flyers. He has been an NHL level goaltender in the past.

I think you could turn around and move Petersen at the deadline with some retention at a minimal cost as well. Perhaps as a three way deal.

To Philly: Jack Campbell + something small

TO Edmonton: Cal Petersen

To Chicago: Cal Petersen $1M retained + 2025 3rd + 2026 4th

Chicago buys out Petersen in the offseason.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I mentioned this before and I do think it makes sense given that Hart's situation is very unlikely to be resolved before he becomes a UFA. Petersen can still be buried so there is no immediate cap concerns. And the cost to shed his contract would be a lot less than for Campbell. But Campbell is a reasonable risk for the Flyers. He has been an NHL level goaltender in the past.

I think you could turn around and move Petersen at the deadline with some retention at a minimal cost as well. Perhaps as a three way deal.

To Philly: Jack Campbell + ?

TO Edmonton: Cal Petersen

To Chicago: Cal Peterssen $1M retained + 2025 3rd + 2026 4th

Chicago buys out Petersen in the offseason.
Campbell + 3rd and Prospect (like Neimo or someone like that), with the Oilers retaining $1M on Campbell.

Still puts the team ahead.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Imo that's an easy out. The other easy way out is to do nothing.

Holland's job is hard. He has to load us up for a cup run, but he also has to make sure we don't ruin our future.

And btw succeeding on both fronts is the only way we keep Draisaitl and McDavid. If we cheap out and disappoint in the playoffs, they have little reason to stay. If we we win it all but have no future, then it will be "thanks for the memories, but I'm out of here"
He did exactly that last deadline. Gave up a late 1st, a prospect who is likely worth quite a bit less than a 1st and a salary dump (in this scenario, that's what Barrie was) for Ekholm and the Bjugstad rental where he didn't exhaust a high pick although I still don't know why Kesselring had to be added.

I expect something similar this deadline. I think he'll trade a 2nd or 3rd for a bottom 6 center and trade the 1st++ for a player with term. I don't see any big rental trades for guys like Guentzel or Toffoli. It'll be a player that will be a multi-year solution if he's spending prime assets.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
There is zero chance this team is changing 1/3 of their dcore in season. That almost never succeeds.
But if we are moving Kulak and bringing in Broberg, we HAVE to replace Ceci cause there is a low chance that Broberg and Desharnais can handle the load that Kulak and Desharnais are. Over time sure, maybe. But if you are replacing Kulak with Broberg, you HAVE to expect them to have struggles, which means sheltering, which means tougher minutes for the other 2 pairings and Ceci isn't even doing all that well with the minutes he has now. So overall that would HURT our dcore.

But I mean I guess they can replace both Ceci and Kulak but I just don't see that as a Holland move.

Fair point... it's not a very Holland move. And I'm biased because I was calling for a 1-2 punch of 1) moving Kulak in the summer so that we could accrue his cap hit for the deadline (while fully committing to 50 games of Broberg) and then 2) moving Ceci for a massive (like true shutdown #2) upgrade at the deadline... plus a vet to support Broberg.

As of now I agree, it's high risk to move both unless you call up Broberg yesterday and give him reps now until the deadline.

Agree that Ceci is the only one likely to move... just wish Holland had been thinking ahead to this deadline a bit more... we are pretty hamstrung.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad