Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | All Star Break Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Broberg was gifted a spot out of camp and still couldn’t make it work. He was given more opportunity than he deserved. He’s shown nothing at the nhl level because he’s a toolsy player with no high end skills. In the AHL he can skate circles around everyone and he has decent size. In the NHL where everyone’s big and skates well and you have to face real world class talent broberg just doesn’t have anything to bring to the table. He has no niche to carve out because he has nothing that he’s really elite at with or without the puck.

I like how your response was submitted 4 minutes after which means you obviously didn't even watch the video.

You are clearly biased.

Broberg was benched most of the season and played a whopping total of 10 games in the NHL this year. He had several games where he played 5-7 minutes a night because of the stupid 11-7.

Let's also not forget that basically our entire defence looked like garbage to start the year under woodcrofts new system.

Go look at dmen. Jeff Petry wasn't any better at the same age. Thomas Harley is the same age and just broke in as an NHLer and practically untouchable in Dallas now. Do we really want to write him off too early?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Really not a MAF fan at this stage. I have seen him look pretty awful this season. Give Pickard 5 or 6 more starts before the deadline please. I also suspect that another team will pay more to get Fleury, the Avs or Kings for instance.

The only (affordable) upgrades out there: Lankinen, Nedeljevic and Primeau. None of them have much playoff success on their resumes. Pickard has been fine so far.

I think they have to start giving Pickard more starts and against better teams. They need to know what he’s capable of.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Go look at their career paths. Broberg and Forsling have very similar trajectories. Both guys spent 2 years in Europe before coming over to the AHL. It took Forsling 4 years of splitting time in the AHL before he finally became a full time NHLer with Florida.

Broberg should be a NHLer right now but was being dicked around by woody. Go listen to Bruce Curlock talk about how he's an NHLer playing in the AHL. He's dominating the AHL right now.

I think it would be such a mistake to trade Broberg before letting him have a shot under Knoblauch.

That’s one thing that concerns me with this team. We don’t really know what we have in Holloway, Broberg, Borgault, Lavoie, Rodrigue etc.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think it would be such a mistake to trade Broberg before letting him have a shot under Knoblauch.

That’s one thing that concerns me with this team. We don’t really know what we have in Holloway, Broberg, Borgault, Lavoie, Rodrigue etc.

For the record, I'm not opposed to trading Broberg for a legitimate upgrade but I'd love to give him a chance first. I just think it's a double standard that the rest of the guys get a second chance under knob but the rookies don't. Go ahead and trade Kulak now to free up 2M. Give Broberg a month to earn it. If he is successful grab a veteran 7D as backup. If he struggles, go out and get a veteran 6D to play ahead of him.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
For the record, I'm not opposed to trading Broberg for a legitimate upgrade but I'd love to give him a chance first. I just think it's a double standard that the rest of the guys get a second chance under knob but the rookies don't. Go ahead and trade Kulak now to free up 2M. Give Broberg a month to earn it. If he is successful grab a veteran 7D as backup. If he struggles, go out and get a veteran 6D to play ahead of him.
Why would you break up arguably the best bottom pair in the nhl in a year you are trying to win the Stanley cup?

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I like how your response was submitted 4 minutes after which means you obviously didn't even watch the video.

You are clearly biased.

Broberg was benched most of the season and played a whopping total of 10 games in the NHL this year. He had several games where he played 5-7 minutes a night because of the stupid 11-7.

Let's also not forget that basically our entire defence looked like garbage to start the year under woodcrofts new system.

Go look at dmen. Jeff Petry wasn't any better at the same age. Thomas Harley is the same age and just broke in as an NHLer and practically untouchable in Dallas now. Do we really want to write him off too early?
Maybe your right and he’s a really late bloomer but I feel most guys who end up being good have shown some faucet of their game that you see and say ok if he can do that consistently maybe he could be a player. Broberg just hasn’t shown me that. Maybe I’m wrong and he pans out but I don’t care to find out anymore. We have two more guaranteed playoff runs with these two guys.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would hang on to Broberg, but if there is a big ticket, blockbuster kind of deal on the market that would push us much closer to a Cup and including Broberg is the only way to get it done ... in that case I would pull the trigger.

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of time, it's too bad he hasn't developed faster so we'd have a better idea of what he is at the NHL level.

Coming up on 5 years since his draft and he hasn't really been a difference maker in a single NHL game yet, that's an awfully slow development curve. Looks like he is doing well in the AHL though.

Reactions: Duke74

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Why would you break up arguably the best bottom pair in the nhl in a year you are trying to win the Stanley cup?

If I give you the answer are you going to listen to logic or just ignore it?

Let me ask you this, are you also in the camp of not making adjustments to a roster that has gone 16 straight wins in a row? At some point the team will lose. We have had a pretty easy schedule and staying status quo won't work while the rest of our competition continues to make trades and improve. Its an arms race and this team needs to get better too. In order to do that, we need to free up cap space.

Kulak is a luxury as a 3rd pairing man. Broberg is ready to come in and do the job for cheaper. We need to see what we have in Broberg. Kulak isn't in the long term plans. That 2M could be the difference of re-signing Desharnais or even Draisaitl. We live in a cap world. People who don't get that just sit on the sidelines and think "oh we can't trade that guy he's better" without thinking about the big picture.

Finally, Broberg had great chemistry with Desharnais in the AHL. The two would compliment each other very well. The fact that they pair is performing so well is more of a testament to how well Desharnais is playing. Kulak seems to struggle with Coffeys style and can't make plays with the puck.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Let me ask you this, are you also in the camp of not making adjustments to a roster that has gone 16 straight wins in a row? At some point the team will lose. We have had a pretty easy schedule and staying status quo won't work while the rest of our competition continues to make trades and improve. Its an arms race and this team needs to get better too. In order to do that, we need to free up cap space.

Kulak is a luxury as a 3rd pairing man. Broberg is ready to come in and do the job for cheaper. We need to see what we have in Broberg. Kulak isn't in the long term plans. That 2M could be the difference of re-signing Desharnais or even Draisaitl. We live in a cap world. People who don't get that just sit on the sidelines and think "oh we can't trade that guy he's better" without thinking about the big picture.

Finally, Broberg had great chemistry with Desharnais in the AHL. The two would compliment each other very well. The fact that they pair is performing so well is more of a testament to how well Desharnais is playing. Kulak seems to struggle with Coffeys style and can't make plays with the puck.
Agree with all of this. I would also add that the 2 million freed up is enough to upgrade from a Brown/Ryan/Janmark to say, Vladimir Tarasenko at 50% retained. Even if you're one of the copers who think Kulak is significantly better than Broberg (he's not, he's sheltered more than most NHL rookie dmen and gets carried by Desharnais), I guarantee that the gap between Tarasenko and Connor Brown/Mattias Janmark is bigger than the gap between Brett Kulak and Philip Broberg.
It would be kinda funny if Broberg's NHL upside ends up being ... Brett Kulak.
The skating alone makes this unlikely and even if he tops out at Brett Kulak, Brett Kulak at 1 million>>>Brett Kulak at 2.75 million. If Brett Kulak is an Edmonton Oiler come playoff time, we've done something wrong at the deadline.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agree with all of this. I would also add that the 2 million freed up is enough to upgrade from a Brown/Ryan/Janmark to say, Vladimir Tarasenko at 50% retained. Even if you're one of the copers who think Kulak is significantly better than Broberg (he's not, he's sheltered more than most NHL rookie dmen and gets carried by Desharnais), I guarantee that the gap between Tarasenko and Connor Brown/Mattias Janmark is bigger than the gap between Brett Kulak and Philip Broberg.

The skating alone makes this unlikely and even if he tops out at Brett Kulak, Brett Kulak at 1 million>>>Brett Kulak at 2.75 million. If Brett Kulak is an Edmonton Oiler come playoff time, we've done something wrong at the deadline.

Kulak is a pretty good skater. Very good even.

If you're in a do or die playoff game, arguably an experienced Kulak > green inexperienced version of him.

The penalty Broberg took on Eichel last year in game 5 was a back breaker, it totally swung that game and maybe even the series. A young D is just not going to get that call.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Kulak is a pretty good skater. Very good even.

And Broberg is still a full tier above him skating wise.
If you're in a do or die playoff game, arguably an experienced Kulak > green inexperienced version of him.

The penalty Broberg took on Eichel last year in game 5 was a back breaker, it totally swung that game and maybe even the series. A young D is just not going to get that call.
Brett Kulak is an active detriment in the playoffs due to his deployment. He is used exclusively against bottom 6 forwards which leads to the top 4 dmen getting worn out against the opposing team's skill. That's not acceptable for a veteran dman earning nearly 3 million. There's a reason why Montreal healthy scratched him on their way to the Cup Final. Broberg didn't play well in the playoffs either but he's also getting jerked around in the lineup as a 7th D.

Last edited:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Then if he fails again then what?
Edit: I see everything I said has been covered multiple times by others, no need to beat a dead horse …lol.

To be clear, I’m talking next season, I don’t break up Kulak-Vinny before playoffs.

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Chychrun and Tarasenko would be a hell of a trade.

The prices have basically been set for them as well. Chychrun went for a 1st and two 2nds last year. With a year knocked off the deal it's probably closer to a 1st and a 2nd now.

Tarasenko recently went in a trade for a 1st round pick. St.Louis retained 50% in that deal. We would also need Ottawa to retain 50%. I'm not sure we would pay THAT much but could see them unloading one of Bourgault or Broberg instead.

We would need to add some cap going back the other way. One of Ceci or Kulak would need to go.

So a 2024 1st, 2024 2nd, Broberg and Ceci for Chychrun and Tarasenko?
Tarasenko for Foegele and Bourgault would be a good deal, assuming he's healthy and had not regressed. There's less of a need for Chychrun after the arrival of Ekholm. A veteran No.4-5 D-man for deapth purposes would be enough.

You find someone else? Kulak at 2.75M is a luxury this team really can’t afford. Besides, maybe he succeeds!
I think one of Ceci / Kulak goes in the offseason for cap reasons.

Reactions: Faelko

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I understand your logic I just fundamentally disagree with it. Broberg is not a guarantee to be as good as Kulak and even if he is in season I guarantee he won’t be as good in the playoffs where Kulak has been fantastic for us.

Our weakness is still D. I don’t want to actively make the D less reliable and less experienced right now. I want to add another experienced proven D man not subtract one in hopes a young player who’s never done it before succesfully will do it.

Kulak has been on multiple teams that have made deep playoff runs. He can be the guy at 3LD we know this. Broberg maybe can be that one day but that’s not good enough for me.

Again we have two guaranteed cup runs with our mega stars. I don’t care about where broberg fits in the long term plans.

Reactions: McDoused

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Was just browsing the leading scorers in the AHL ... looks like Mark Jankowski is no.3 in scoring.

So then Flames GM Jay Feaster turned out to be right ... Jankowski is the highest scoring forward in the league* from his draft class.

*that league being the AHL.

• Haha
Reactions: tiger_80

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Was just browsing the leading scorers in the AHL ... looks like Mark Jankowski is no.3 in scoring.

So then Flames GM Jay Feaster turned out to be right ... Jankowski is the highest scoring forward in the league* from his draft class.

*that league being the AHL.
Hand him Auston Amtthews trophy already!

Reactions: Biltmore

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I understand your logic I just fundamentally disagree with it. Broberg is not a guarantee to be as good as Kulak and even if he is in season I guarantee he won’t be as good in the playoffs where Kulak has been fantastic for us.

Our weakness is still D. I don’t want to actively make the D less reliable and less experienced right now. I want to add another experienced proven D man not subtract one in hopes a young player who’s never done it before succesfully will do it.

Kulak has been on multiple teams that have made deep playoff runs. He can be the guy at 3LD we know this. Broberg maybe can be that one day but that’s not good enough for me.

Again we have two guaranteed cup runs with our mega stars. I don’t care about where broberg fits in the long term plans.
Kulak has had his ice time decrease under KK. He no longer is on the PK and doesn’t play PP. he is a 12-14 minute ES 3rd pairing D-Man. You don’t pay those guys close to 3M. It’s terrible use of cap. He also has very little ability to move the puck. He can transport using his skating- but when pressured he doesn’t have the ability to make plays

Reactions: McDoused

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Kulak has had his ice time decrease under KK. He no longer is on the PK and doesn’t play PP. he is a 12-14 minute ES 3rd pairing D-Man. You don’t pay those guys close to 3M. It’s terrible use of cap
right now that pairing might be the best third pair in the league. When you’re trying to win a cup you don’t mess with that. Kulak is a proven playoff performer.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
right now that pairing might be the best third pair in the league. When you’re trying to win a cup you don’t mess with that. Kulak is a proven playoff performer.
What are you basing that on? Really asking as I haven’t dug into the numbers. Kulak is not a proven playoff performer.

Just a question- who are you trading off the roster to make the team better?

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
What are you basing that on? Really asking as I haven’t dug into the numbers. Kulak is not a proven playoff performer.

Kulak was pretty good for us last playoffs. No reason he can’t be again.

Reactions: CaptainCaveman

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

At 5 on 5 in the playoffs the oilers have out scored the opposition 18-11 with Brett Kulak on the ice. The weak point on the D is Cody Ceci. He’s the only one playing in a role where he is struggling to tread water

In terms of d pairings with at least 400 mins together they have the 4th best XGF% in the nhl. High danger chances are at 98-51.

Last edited:

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Which year? I was suggesting him since he was in junior. The year he went to Tampa was the year we should've traded Puljujarvi for him.
ya, the year the Sens moved him to Tampa. I was hoping the Oil would land him. He's just a solid hockey player.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Hes mentioned fleury a lot on Oilersnation but Tyler Yaremchuk keeps shooting it down. Guy doesn't know how to listen to one of the most plugged in guys in hockey.
I get what you are saying, Frank is definitely got some "ins" and knows a lot of what's being talked about. I also feel that it's in Frank's interest to get clicks/listens/views etc. So attaching a name like Fleury to the Oil, is just good hype/business. I'm with Tyler on this whole issue, yes, Fleury would be a great option behind/beside Skinner, but here are the reasons that I don't see it...

1) He has a NMC, he's never been on a Canadian NHL team, not sure if he'd even waive for Edmonton.
2)He's 39 and having the worst season of his career.
3)Edmonton has so little cap space, and they have a goalie who's playing great, they also have 2 back ups, with NHL experience, one in the AHL and the other in the NHL. I really feel they will use the small amount of cap space for some depth on D.

Frank is as plugged in as anyone in hockey, but when it comes MAF coming to the Oil? I don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad