Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There was a claim that the cap next year would be flat at $81.5M which LeBrun said was not actually agreed to yet. But it sounds like that may be a proposal the NHLPA is considering. If that is the case there will be a lot of team in deep cap hell.

Arizona shockingly would have about $6.5M with 6-7 players to sign even after factoring in Hossa's LTIR. Even that may be high if they have bonus overages. The buds would have $4.5M to sign 6-7 guys. St. Louis would have $2M with AP and 2 more guys to sign.

Compliance buyouts could be on the table I would think.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
There was a claim that the cap next year would be flat at $81.5M which LeBrun said was not actually agreed to yet. But it sounds like that may be a proposal the NHLPA is considering. If that is the case there will be a lot of team in deep cap hell.

Arizona shockingly would have about $6.5M with 6-7 players to sign even after factoring in Hossa's LTIR. Even that may be high if they have bonus overages. The buds would have $4.5M to sign 6-7 guys. St. Louis would have $2M with AP and 2 more guys to sign.

The league and PA don’t really have a lot of good options, if the cap stays flat you almost have to offer a compliance buy out because like you mentioned there would be several teams would would struggle to carry a full roster even if you’re signing half a dozen guys to league mins.

As well sending out bad or not great contracts will be harder. Before all this happened I thought they would likely be able to unload Russell for a late pick without retaining any salary. Now I’m not sure that will be possible.

Reactions: Aerchon

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Given the outlook for our economy for the next while, a cap of 81.5 or higher has the likelihood of an escrow % that will make the players shudder.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Given the outlook for our economy for the next while, a cap of 81.5 or higher has the likelihood of an escrow % that will make the players shudder.

They'll still be rewarded handsomely for their work while many hardworking American and Canadian families lose everything that they ever worked for due to the current global situation. Truth be told I don't miss pro sports nearly as much as I miss watching my kids practice and play soccer. No matter how bad my day was that would always leave me with a sense of pride and joy. Yeah pro sports would be awesome right now to kill time and give us all something to talk about, but given the choice between the two I'd watch my kids 100/100 times.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Hopefully they'd be like those right after a new CBA is signed so that there is no cap remaining from them. If so I wonder if Neal and Russell would be goners?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
They'll still be rewarded handsomely for their work while many hardworking American and Canadian families lose everything that they ever worked for due to the current global situation. Truth be told I don't miss pro sports nearly as much as I miss watching my kids practice and play soccer. No matter how bad my day was that would always leave me with a sense of pride and joy. Yeah pro sports would be awesome right now to kill time and give us all something to talk about, but given the choice between the two I'd watch my kids 100/100 times.

Back when my kids were younger and playing sports it was the same. Nothing beats watching your kids play sports. I shed a tear the night my son played his last minor hockey game. In my son's first year of hockey a very wise older gentleman gave me some of the best advice I've ever received in my life. It was a simple message - they grow up quickly, enjoy every practice, every game, every car ride, every laugh, every life lesson, cause it will be over in the blink of an eye. I took his message to heart. And he was right - it was 12 years, but seemed like 6 months. Best years of my life.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hopefully they'd be like those right after a new CBA is signed so that there is no cap remaining from them. If so I wonder if Neal and Russell would be goners?

with Russell I think he will be movable after July 3rd when his bonus is paid. While he has a cap hit of 4 after the 3rd his actual pay is 1.5mil for the year and for a team needing to get to the floor who do not want to pay money--that could be attractive

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
You know, in most offseasons, I'd at least be able to armchair GM but it's so hard to do it when the state of the league is so up in the air.

And I mean, I don't believe there will be a full 2020-2021 season anyway. We won't be starting up in October. So that adds another layer of difficulty.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
You know, in most offseasons, I'd at least be able to armchair GM but it's so hard to do it when the state of the league is so up in the air.

And I mean, I don't believe there will be a full 2020-2021 season anyway. We won't be starting up in October. So that adds another layer of difficulty.

I think you’re wrong. They’re getting a full 82 next year and I’d say it’s 50/50 they have some sort of playoffs.

The broad public’s concern is clearly wearing off already not even a month in. Every day I go out there’s more and more people and they’re adherence to social distancing is clearly dwindling. Give it another 4-6 weeks and the bulk of people will be ready to go back to normal.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Hockey talk/thoughts in general are pointless in the current environment.

If I wasn't locked in for another year I would be cutting cable right now. As it is there is a good chance when my term is up I will turf it.

I've heard nhl doesn't want to even consider playing without fans because of revenue. They supposedly don't have big enough TV income to offset their costs.

This is just a stitch in time, but barring a miraculous cure/vaccine, I don't know if the nhl and nhlpa are thinking about this correctly.

I only go to games once or twice a year at the best of times. Without a cure/vaccine i won't go to another live game period and I really can't imagine many that would. Health officials shut down sporting events first for a reason. They are also going to be the last to reopen for a reason.

The nhl/ticket master are praying not to do refunds for this year... That's laughable. The chances of playing another 2019-2020 regular season game live in front of fans is so low I can't believe the nhl is still hoping it happens. Shows true desperation.

Barring a miraculous cure the owners and players are going to take huge cuts. Massive cuts. A normal revenue for hockey is likely years away.

Personally if I were the nhl/nhlpa. With so many people at home glued to their tvs I would be pushing to get the playoffs underway asap. Work on growing the game via TV while everyone else is shutdown. Heck poker became a sport overnight with the last big player strike. Imagine how many fans would come to hockey if they were able to be on TV right now. The ratings the nhl playoffs would get right now is insane.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Hockey talk/thoughts in general are pointless in the current environment.

I've heard nhl doesn't want to even consider playing without fans because of revenue. They supposedly don't have big enough TV income to offset their costs.

Got a link? Because that is counter to everything being reported out there. Yes the NHL is still a gate driven league but Friedman and Burke reported last week the NHL would likely add 300-400 million in revenue on top of their existing TV revenue they get now, it could have even been 500 million. Bettman and Daly both recently are quoted as having interest in games without fans, Bettman in an interview with Fox Business last week and CNN a few days prior to that.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Got a link? Because that is counter to everything being reported out there. Yes the NHL is still a gate driven league but Friedman and Burke reported last week the NHL would likely add 300-400 million in revenue on top of their existing TV revenue they get now, it could have even been 500 million. Bettman and Daly both recently are quoted as having interest in games without fans, Bettman in an interview with Fox Business last week and CNN a few days prior to that.

Ahhhhh, your sources are much better than mine... read it on hockeybuzz... Probably the ever so accurate Eklund.

Hope they get to it asap if they are interested in doing it. May as well asap. It could be how next season starts as well so putting in the procedures sooner the better makes sense.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Reason 562 why I can’t take advanced stats seriously.

The thing that people need to remember is that those are metrics for how they played in their role.

Nuke had a great season. He probably has a case for being the best 3rd liner in the league, statistically, this year. The problem comes when idiots(like the Evolving Hockey guys) try to compare the numbers like it's apples to apples and come to the conclusion that an elite 3rd liner is better than an above average 1st liner(Leon did a lot of his damage on the PP. Strictly speaking 5v5, he was probably just above average).

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The thing that people need to remember is that those are metrics for how they played in their role.

Nuke had a great season. He probably has a case for being the best 3rd liner in the league, statistically, this year. The problem comes when idiots(like the Evolving Hockey guys) try to compare the numbers like it's apples to apples and come to the conclusion that an elite 3rd liner is better than an above average 1st liner(Leon did a lot of his damage on the PP. Strictly speaking 5v5, he was probably just above average).

This is exactly the problem. The issue though is that the apples to oranges stuff is extremely common.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Didn’t realize that Scandella recently signed a 4 year extension at 3.275 per. Seems like too much.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Craig Smith vs Valeri Nichushkin would be a more appropriate comparison imo. Man those Evolving Hockey guys are annoying. They compared a Russian Toyota Tundra to a German supercar. :sarcasm:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The Oilers have signed Swedish draft pick defenceman Filip Berglund but he’s going to stay with his club team Linkoping for this upcoming season and he may come over in 2021 …
https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hock...Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1587449239
Ryan Mantha’s potential Oilers career never had a chance

Matheson
just threw this in at the end of this article on Tuesday. I can’t find any other information about it but would be a good thing to get him signed imo.
https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hock...Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1587449239

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

not if the cap does not go down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad