Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I honestly don't see how buying out Neal helps us get Taylor Hall anyway. He's going to want 10 million plus, purging Neal doesn't get us 10 million in cap space. Replacing Neal with a guy like Dadonov or Hoffman, or upgrading in goal with Lehner are far more realistic.

You don't see how freeing up 5.75 million in cap space helps?

Reactions: dawunderboy

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I honestly don't see how buying out Neal helps us get Taylor Hall anyway. He's going to want 10 million plus, purging Neal doesn't get us 10 million in cap space. Replacing Neal with a guy like Dadonov or Hoffman, or upgrading in goal with Lehner are far more realistic.

I would be absolutely shocked if UFAs (of all calibres) got what others did in years past. There will be an adjustment.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is there a source behind it?

You sure the team just didn't want to risk losing him on waivers?
He lost his waiver exemption that season due to games played. There was no other reason for him to be in Edmonton that year.

It was also likely a big reason why Chiarelli openly had him on the market. I'm not sure there'd be any links on things that generally don't get made public though. He went back to Russia that summer though after nobody traded for him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That would have been neat to sign up Slepyshev but I don't blame him for staying where he is. He found big success but in a short period. He can either build his rep has a top performer on that stacked team or risk falling into our bottom six in the NHL.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That would have been neat to sign up Slepyshev but I don't blame him for staying where he is. He found big success but in a short period. He can either build his rep has a top performer on that stacked team or risk falling into our bottom six in the NHL.
The problem is that he has yet to consistently show he's more than a bottom sixer at the NHL level. And piling up points in lesser leagues for the next 2 years is not going to help him do that. Eventually, he'll need to come back here to prove he's more than a KHLer. No one is going to throw top 6 money and term at him at this point.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Dylan Strome is the 3C we need.
Strome without an offensive catalyst would be just as effective there as his brother was. Maybe less so.

The idea of trading for him would be to tie him to 97 and reap the benefits. So AA for Strome straight across might make sense. But giving up value to run him as a checking line forward would be a total waste.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
What would the cost be? 2020 1st + Pulju?
Probably a lot. If we end up adding Hall which I think we will, those two would make a good pairing IMO. Or he can play wing with one of the big boys. Lots of options, but adding him would either give us a top 6 winger or 3C at reasonable value. Plus of course the Strome/McDavid connection.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Reportedly Slepyshev wanted something closer to 2m per year, while the initial Oilers offer was 1.1m (although if the reports were true later it increased to 1.4m). And yes, Slepyshev will be UFA when his new KHL deal expires.
No thanks lmao. His best year was 12 points. He deserves 2 million according to him? Ahaha

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
No thanks lmao. His best year was 12 points. He deserves 2 million according to him? Ahaha

Just some simple calculations: to get the same net income that he is getting in CSKA now the salary in Edmonton should've been something like 1.75m per year. I mean, I'm not sure you'd come to Russia to work for less money than you get at home, so can't really blame him.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Just some simple calculations: to get the same net income that he is getting in CSKA now the salary in Edmonton should've been something like 1.75m per year. I mean, I'm not sure you'd come to Russia to work for less money than you get at home, so can't really blame him.

Yup. Can't blame him at all.

He's in a pretty ideal situation with CSKA especially with a young family.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
If we got Dylan Strome for 3C then it would just be a repeat of his time in Arizona. Guy has a lot of offensive talent, but can't drive offense on his own. He needs skilled wingers to produce. He also doesn't have the sort of intangibles you want in the bottom-6 (speed, physicality, faceoff ability). Hes basically a rich-man's Sam Gagner.

If we got him we could do something like

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Strome-Yamamoto

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
If we got Dylan Strome for 3C then it would just be a repeat of his time in Arizona. Guy has a lot of offensive talent, but can't drive offense on his own. He needs skilled wingers to produce. He also doesn't have the sort of intangibles you want in the bottom-6 (speed, physicality, faceoff ability). Hes basically a rich-man's Sam Gagner.

'The Koskinen effect'
RNH-Strome-Yamamoto
No man. Keep Drai Yam and RNH together.

The McDavid line should be

AA McD Strome

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
BLANK-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Athanasiou-BLANK-Ennis
Archibald-Sheahan-Kassian
Benson

Fill in the blanks with the perfect fits and you probably win the cup.

If Puljujarvi doesn't return or does and still sucks, you can probably move Kassian to the McD line and insert Chiasson on line 4 and it's still fine.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

RNH-Strome-Yamamoto

I think Strome would be moved to the wing before either Draisaitl or RNH.

Basically his only really good attribute is his shot.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The problem is that he has yet to consistently show he's more than a bottom sixer at the NHL level. And piling up points in lesser leagues for the next 2 years is not going to help him do that. Eventually, he'll need to come back here to prove he's more than a KHLer. No one is going to throw top 6 money and term at him at this point.
maybe, but imo top six in the KHL is a better path to top six in the NHL than being an NHL bottom sixer is. Bottom six is just a different role with a different kind of linemate, and with different use on special teams.

Slepy only has one season of explosive top line production in the KHL. He probably feels like he needs to do it for longer if any NHL team will be patient with him in the top six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad