Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yea, he has some interesting data. The issue though with the one I posted is that it is exits with control, which I assume to mean skates the puck out? I would have to contact him to confirm. It's also a bit haphazard as the data is partially relied upon subjective bias if we are then talking about exiting the zone with a successful pass. What makes it successful? etc.

I know that the NHL teams have their own private data that measures this more specifically. I have had a look at it back in November thanks to a friend, but only got to glance. It would be an interesting field to get into right now. Either way, I think Klefbom-Larsson is a pretty bad pairing. Klefbom made a few real nice passes last night actually, but I don't think he is really suited to be 'the' puck mover on a pairing, ideally. Especially since we rely upon him to play big minutes. Playing with Bear seems like a match made in heaven.

And this whole shot blocking thing that the guys keep talking about. It should not be lauded. High amount of shots blocked is a bad thing, and this is beginning to take hold in NHL teams analytic departments. It is being argued as a morale improver, which is a wortwhile argument to be made IMO, but at a certain point it does become detrimental that you are in a position to be having to block so many shots.

Klefbom leads the league, with Russell usually leading the league. It is a terrible sign and explains to a great degree why our D has been so bad for so many years. Nobody can get the puck out. It is actually hilarious when you watch Klef or Russ turn the puck over blatantly, block a shot, and then turn it over again a second later with the announcers exclaiming what a great block it was.

I liked Sean Tierney's stuff because he broke down zone exits into carries, passes and clears, but it looks like you need to sub to his Patreon to access that now.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If you can't put Nurse with Larsson because Lars can't pass, does it really make sense to put him with an even worse puck-mover?

Wouldn't it make more sense to play Jones on Klefbom's right side and leave Nurse/Bear alone?

Klefbom Bouchard
Nurse Bear
Jones Larsson
Laggesson Benning
Broberg Berglund
Samourukov

Move on from Russell he has been good but the team can move on from him.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Morgan Geekie with a goal and an assist in his first NHL game. I was high on Geekie, and suggested him when all the Pulju talk was going on.

If he doesn't explode, it might still be a possibility. Hard working, good skill.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Morgan Geekie with a goal and an assist in his first NHL game. I was high on Geekie, and suggested him when all the Pulju talk was going on.

If he doesn't explode, it might still be a possibility. Hard working, good skill.
What a name.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Don't want a guy with a name like that. He should make a career change and go into computer repair.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Don't want a guy with a name like that. He should make a career change and go into computer repair.

They should be targeting someone more like this:
ce4b550a052824eacd1c5a965944e200.png

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

I don't see this as a bad thing for Russell and Larsson, as both guys and in particular Larsson are close enough to average to be worth the job they can do defensively. Those guys are our two best defenders in the zone and this is reflected by their usage on an elite PK. The high number of attempts suggests two things. 1 they may be defending too much to have had that many chances or 2 they must be winning pucks to get those opportunities. It seems to me given the results thus far at evens if they happen to be our worst puck movers it's not the end of the world since they can offset it with defensive ability.

With Russell i'd be concerned with how many attempts him and his most common partner Benning have had per 60 to move it out of the zone, as it suggests a lot of defending, but those guys are a combined +7 so how much can they really be hurting the team? They are playing sheltered minutes but not playing top 4 doesn't mean your a bad player either. Those numbers seems to suggest to me they must be very effective at winning pucks to create those attempts, even if it comes with the cavet that they defend too frequently. This is something a team can live with as in the case of Russell they can leverage his defensive abilities in crucial defensive moments (like the PK) and be assured of low event minutes when the top players are on the bench. Russell was also used on his offside for a spell earlier and i'm confident that didn't help his numbers. With Larsson it's a similar story but in harder minutes.

With forwards not every guy can be a scorer and it's no different for dmen, not every guy can be a puck mover. Teams need a variety of players to do a variety of jobs. Don't get me wrong it's not an ideal result for a dman to be in that quadrant on the chart but it also doesn't mean they can't help you win. Larsson has played tough minutes and both have been effective defenders in critical defensive moments. I'm fine with them even if i believe Russell should be losing his spot on the team to younger players and Larsson isn't an ideal guy for our top 4.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'll make an exception for goalies. :P

Just no more young whippersnappers who forget to play hockey when they get to the NHL like Pulju, Kotka or Kakko.

If you upgrade enough within the same class, maybe eventually it becomes useful?

Pulju --> Kotka --> Kakko --> Kurri???

Reactions: McDNicks17

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I'll make an exception for goalies. :P

Just no more young whippersnappers who forget to play hockey when they get to the NHL like Pulju, Kotka or Kakko.

Well, then there’s also Laine, Aho, Barkov, Heiskanen, Jokiharju, Hintz, Rantanen amongst those whippersnappers. There’s lots of hitting and missing amongst many of the countries that offer large amount of draft worthy prospects. And there’s some blame in how Puljujarvi and Kotkaniemi were handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad