Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Hallsy Take 2?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Rental category right now - Requires a pick or Puljujarvi straight across

Kris Kreider
Tyler Toffoli
JG Pageau
Eric Staal

Longer term possibilities - Requires Larsson+ going the other way

Taylor Hall
Andreas Athansiou
Brandon Saad
Kasperi Kapanen

There will be more available as more teams drop firmly out of the playoff race.
Staal is not a rental. He gives us 2 years of contention. Honestly I don't think he cost much to acquire

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Rental category right now - Requires a pick or Puljujarvi straight across

Kris Kreider
Tyler Toffoli
JG Pageau
Eric Staal

Longer term possibilities - Requires Larsson+ going the other way

Taylor Hall
Andreas Athansiou
Brandon Saad
Kasperi Kapanen

There will be more available as more teams drop firmly out of the playoff race.

not saying we shouldn't try somethng but it wouldn't surprise me if any of those players struggle almost as bad if not just as bad here. i almost feel this has to be an internal fix with the team somehow. it just seems too strange everyone who comes here and doesn't play with connor and drai struggle worse than they had been on a different team. we can trade for any of those guys and a couple months later be mad at them for under performing.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I don't mind not going big game hunting quite yet, but I'd really appreciate just one low-cost skill player acquisition something like Sonny Milano or Nikolai Goldobin, just a bit of an offensive spark added to our bottom six.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The thing is I think the Oilers are setting up a psychological fail for their roster this way.

The 3rd/4th lines can chip in with garbage goals now and again when they feel insulated that the 1st/2nd lines are scoring.

The problem with the Oilers is the 2nd line doesn't do their job (outside of James Neal who's been great).

So now the 3rd/4th liners are going to the rink knowing they gotta "step up" ... and the problem with that mentality is that 3rd/4th liners are just as apt to freeze up and choke when put under defacto pressure to score.

If they could score at the snap of a finger well they wouldn't be career bottom sixers to begin with.

This isn't a new thing either, last year Ryan Strome couldn't buy a goal here either.

I think we likely agree on the needed solution here - trade for a g.d. second line winger to play with Neal and Nuge and push Chaisson to the 3rd line where he belongs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
not saying we shouldn't try somethng but it wouldn't surprise me if any of those players struggle almost as bad if not just as bad here. i almost feel this has to be an internal fix with the team somehow. it just seems too strange everyone who comes here and doesn't play with connor and drai struggle worse than they had been on a different team. we can trade for any of those guys and a couple months later be mad at them for under performing.

RNH is where I believe the root of that problem lies.

He doesn't carry the proper load or lead the team adequetely by pushing the pace when McDavid/Draisaitl are off the ice.

This causes the 3rd/4th line guys to have more pressure put on them than should be there, and that causes them to start getting tight.

The team would be a lot looser if the 2nd line was scoring outside of Neal and then the 3rd/4th line didn't have much pressure on them, suddenly they're loose, they get a garbage goal and now you got some confidence going.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think Anthony Duclair would be a good pick up if he is available as he would add a lot of speed and skill to the lineup. He could be plugged into the 2nd line LW slot. I wonder if they would bite on Puljujarvi

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
RNH is where I believe the root of that problem lies.

He doesn't carry the proper load or lead the team adequetely by pushing the pace when McDavid/Draisaitl are off the ice.

This causes the 3rd/4th line guys to have more pressure put on them than should be there, and that causes them to start getting tight.

The team would be a lot looser if the 2nd line was scoring outside of Neal and then the 3rd/4th line didn't have much pressure on them, suddenly they're loose, they get a garbage goal and now you got some confidence going.

Nuge was one of my favs and i'm torn between wanting to keep him here. I think he still can offer a lot but at the same time there are inconsistencies in his game and to a lesser extent a bit of that sag or lack of take the bull by the horns we've seen from guys like gags, hall, ebs etc. I think he's a great fit on that 1st pp unit.

that being said, and i said this in one of my posts, it wouldnt completely surprise me if Holland is currently deciding whether or not to trade Nuge. I believe Holland is currently hard at work evaluating and formulating decisions on who he wants to keep going forward and who he wants to purge.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I dont remember the site where you can break everything down in detail but NHL does have him with 28 total PP points and he was on PP1 for most of last year IIRC
So he had 69 points, and 40 with McDavid.
28 on the PP.
12 at evens with McD
29 at evens with Lucic/Reider/Khaira/JP/Chiasson/Yamamoto

Seems a tad disingenuous to say 40 of his 69 points came cause he played with McDavid, unless you consider the PP to consist solely of McDavid.

Nuge pulled his weight and a lot of dead weight last year and put up a career year. He's doing just fine. Just because fans expect every 1st overall pick to be a league dominating all star doesn't mean the expectations are realistic.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So he had 69 points, and 40 with McDavid.
28 on the PP.
12 at evens with McD
29 at evens with Lucic/Reider/Khaira/JP/Chiasson/Yamamoto

Seems a tad disingenuous to say 40 of his 69 points came cause he played with McDavid, unless you consider the PP to consist solely of McDavid.

Nuge pulled his weight and a lot of dead weight last year and put up a career year. He's doing just fine. Just because fans expect every 1st overall pick to be a league dominating all star doesn't mean the expectations are realistic.

Lets be honest he's a 18-20 goal, 50 point player on the 2nd line without the McGravy. And maybe even below that, like he was in 16-17 and is trending for this season.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Lets be honest he's a 18-20 goal, 50 point player on the 2nd line without the McGravy. And maybe even below that, like he was in 16-17 and is trending for this season.
How many second line players are putting up 70-80 points without playing with other solid players though? This was a knock on both Drai and Nuge whenever they centered the Oilers second line and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If there are 2nd line centers out there putting up 70 to 80 points consistently, I'll gladly eat some crow. I don't understand what people really expect out of a second line guy like Nuge who just hit 69 points. They can keep complaining that he's a weak first overall but that's completely irrelevant to the fact that he is exactly what 31 other teams in the league would want from their second line center.

And no, Evgeni one of the three best players of the modern era Malkin is not a fair comparable.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How many second line players are putting up 70-80 points without playing with other solid players though? This was a knock on both Drai and Nuge whenever they centered the Oilers second line and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If there are 2nd line centers out there putting up 70 to 80 points consistently, I'll gladly eat some crow. I don't understand what people really expect out of a second line guy like Nuge who just hit 69 points. They can keep complaining that he's a weak first overall but that's completely irrelevant to the fact that he is exactly what 31 other teams in the league would want from their second line center.

And no, Evgeni one of the three best players of the modern era Malkin is not a fair comparable.

I expect more than a 7 goal, 47 point pace.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I expect more than a 7 goal, 47 point pace.
Pace is stupid because pace doesn't mean shit. Unless you believe players don't have slumps and hot streaks. In which case I don't know what to tell you

Last edited:

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

Lets be honest, there's nothing wrong with a 20 goal 50 point second line center who kills penalties, is responsible defensively, and is making 6m a year.

Or do you think every top 6 player should be a ppg line driver in this league? Since he entered the league, Nuge is 47th among centers for points per game, is coming off his career best year last year, and is 3 years removed from the season you seem to think defines him. He's having a bad stretch, just like the rest of the bottom 9.

It's sad how quick this place is to turn on a guy like Nuge when his linemates consist of what they have since he hall and eberle got broken up.

He's a consistent player that coaches love, but needs other top 6 forwards on his line to be at his best.

I don't get what people want... instead of shoring up the second line winger position, we should instead trade nuge and hope we can get someone else for 6m who can carry a line by himself? Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12 and GOilers88

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
While the bottom 9 is struggling to produce (once again), I still think this is a symptom of the problem vs. the actual issue.

I mean, how much offence are you going to generate when you icing Russell, Benning, and Manning, and the other 3 aren't really true OFD.

Unless he's with someone like M. Green or prime Sekera, Russell's going to kill the offence if he's in top 4. They need to get him back to the 3rd pairing asap, and Persson or another offensive option paired with Klefbom.

Adding in Nygård and Haas' speed would also be welcomed. I would also considering the idea of giving Yamamoto an audition on the 2nd line.

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Neal-RNH-Yamamoto
Nygård-Haas-Gagner
Granlund-Sheahan-Chiasson

Archibald, Jurco, Khaira, and PRussell can draw straws to figure out who gets waived and who's in the PB.

I'd like to see that before Holland starts looking outside the organisation.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lets be honest, there's nothing wrong with a 20 goal 50 point second line center who kills penalties, is responsible defensively, and is making 6m a year.

Or do you think every top 6 player should be a ppg line driver in this league? Since he entered the league, Nuge is 47th among centers for points per game, is coming off his career best year last year, and is 3 years removed from the season you seem to think defines him. He's having a bad stretch, just like the rest of the bottom 9.

It's sad how quick this place is to turn on a guy like Nuge when his linemates consist of what they have since he hall and eberle got broken up.

He's a consistent player that coaches love, but needs other top 6 forwards on his line to be at his best.

I don't get what people want... instead of shoring up the second line winger position, we should instead trade nuge and hope we can get someone else for 6m who can carry a line by himself? Good luck with that.

The other issue with RNH is guy has chemistry with almost no one. Even his chemistry with Eberle was up/down/sideways. So who knows even if we say bring in a Kreider whether or not RNH will have any chemistry with him or not. You almost need to get a player like of Hall's ability to be sure (someone a good deal better than RNH).

He has a good sniper on his line in Neal and he responds by having one of the worst starts of his career.

The one with RNH you can count on unless McDavid or Hall are dragging him somewhere is he'll revert to a weak link every time the Oilers really need him.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
The other issue with RNH is guy has chemistry with almost no one. Even his chemistry with Eberle was up/down/sideways. So who knows even if we say bring in a Kreider whether or not RNH will have any chemistry with him or not. You almost need to get a player like of Hall's ability to be sure (someone a good deal better than RNH).

He has a good sniper on his line in Neal and he responds by having one of the worst starts of his career.

The one with RNH you can count on unless McDavid or Hall are dragging him somewhere is he'll revert to a weak link every time the Oilers really need him.

A good sniper in Neal?

Neal has had a fantastic start, but has only broken 30 goals twice in his entire career, one of which was playing with a prime Crosby and the other was 4 years ago. Neal is a great complementary player who has a good shot, and is great at cleaning up garbage around the net, but is lacking in the speed department, and is not a good puck carrier.

I like Neal a lot, but calling him a good sniper after a hot 12 games, while coming off a season he was considered a top 2 worst contract in the league, while also trying to peg RNH as not a top 6 player after coming off his best season and having a rough 12 games is crazy.

It's not like Neal has been any good at evens either. The line needs something else. Honestly I'd give Kassian a shot on the other wing and see how that goes. He might not be the perfect fit, but he brings something Neal and Nuge are both lacking, speed and puck retrieval. Putting them out there with Chiasson or Jurco with the way he's been playing is throwing two complementary players out with a boat anchor, it's no wonder their ES production is crap.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A good sniper in Neal?

Neal has had a fantastic start, but has only broken 30 goals twice in his entire career, one of which was playing with a prime Crosby and the other was 4 years ago. Neal is a great complementary player who has a good shot, and is great at cleaning up garbage around the net, but is lacking in the speed department, and is not a good puck carrier.

I like Neal a lot, but calling him a good sniper after a hot 12 games, while coming off a season he was considered a top 2 worst contract in the league, while also trying to peg RNH as not a top 6 player after coming off his best season and having a rough 12 games is crazy.

It's not like Neal has been any good at evens either. The line needs something else. Honestly I'd give Kassian a shot on the other wing and see how that goes. He might not be the perfect fit, but he brings something Neal and Nuge are both lacking, speed and puck retrieval. Putting them out there with Chiasson or Jurco with the way he's been playing is throwing two complementary players out with a boat anchor, it's no wonder their ES production is crap.

Neal is on a 20+ goal pace even at ES and playing elite on the PP. Neal has several game winning goals and set up McDavid for the game tying goal vs. Washington that let them get 2 points that game instead of 0.

He's doing his job.

It's 93 that's not getting anything done.

Yes, RNH needs help ... he needs like Taylor Hall to come here and carry him again.

This guy should be ashamed of himself if he thinks he should be sniffing anywhere close to Leon Draisiatl money on his next contract.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Outside of the Lucic for Neal stroke of luck, one could argue our fwd roster is worse than last year

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The people who bitch about RNH are the same one's who cry about how we traded Hall, Eberle, Schultz, and Dubnyk. He's a high end 2C, no matter how you want to spin it.

Reactions: belair

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The people who ***** about RNH are the same one's who cry about how we traded Hall, Eberle, Schultz, and Dubnyk. He's a high end 2C, no matter how you want to spin it.

I'm not saying trade RNH, I'm just saying though he does have a central factor to play in the bottom 8 being a giant failure so far and he's done it multiple times in his career too (been a no show when the team badly needed him to step up).

It just is what it is.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Neal is on a 20+ goal pace even at ES and playing elite on the PP. Neal has several game winning goals and set up McDavid for the game tying goal vs. Washington that let them get 2 points that game instead of 0.

He's doing his job.

It's 93 that's not getting anything done.

Yes, RNH needs help ... he needs like Taylor Hall to come here and carry him again.

This guy should be ashamed of himself if he thinks he should be sniffing anywhere close to Leon Draisiatl money on his next contract.
Pace, pace, pace. You people need to quit saying the word pace like it means something. It doesn't. Trying to use a guys pace as some sort of stat, or factual argument is like saying there are no variables in sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad