Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Hallsy Take 2?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
I feel a bit better about our bottom 9 after seeing the Panthers lineup on DailyFaceoff.

c8137d9056ffb222d8a404aa203386a9.png

Yikes. Boyle at #2C. Pysyk playing third line wing? o_O That can't be real.

Holland should be trying to sucker them into taking Chiasson or Gagner right now.

That lineup is absolute garbage. Probably beat us though (joking, the Oilers are going to win out from here on).

I really thought Florida would be one of the top teams in the east this year but I've been proven wrong so far. Every game without Trocheck must be painful.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If you can get a good forward back for him it isn't a terrible idea.
Bear will struggle at some point. He’s a rookie playing some tough minutes. He’s going to have stretches where he struggles. Persson was already drowning before he got hurt. I’d like to see Larsson play 30 games to see where he’s at.

Reactions: ujju2 and Heavy Dee

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Bear will struggle at some point. He’s a rookie playing some tough minutes. He’s going to have stretches where he struggles. Persson was already drowning before he got hurt. I’d like to see Larsson play 30 games to see where he’s at.
No, he wasn't. Every game he was in the line up for saw the teams transition game look exponentially better than what it has been since Manning has come into the line up. Even the game against Chicago the Oilers had 4 clear cut or partial breakaways in the first period because we had at minimum 2 pairings (Klef/Persson and Bear/Nurse) that had the puck moving out of their zone before Chicagos forecheck could even get close to disrupting the play.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
No, he wasn't. Every game he was in the line up for saw the teams transition game look exponentially better than what it has been since Manning has come into the line up. Even the game against Chicago the Oilers had 4 clear cut or partial breakaways in the first period because we had at minimum 2 pairings (Klef/Persson and Bear/Nurse) that had the puck moving out of their zone before Chicagos forecheck could even get close to disrupting the play.
Persson was playing terrible his last couple of games. Even bob and jack were commenting on it. He was turning it over at bad times and losing battles in his own end.

Reactions: Anarchism

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Horrible take.
Here’s mcurdy’s write up on him vs Chicago

A very tough night for the rookie who was on the receiving end of two heavy hits, and who, perhaps coincidentally, struggled to move the puck efficiently. Oilers were outshot to the tune of +4/-10 on his watch, which included a critical mistake on what became the game-winning goal. Welcome to the NHL, son.

Reactions: ujju2

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Puljujarvi isn't a solid NHLer in any capacity.
With that said, a 2nd rounder straight up (even a high one) is not a return that Holland is likely to settle for.
Sure he is, at least if by solid you mean capable of playing the role at a level close to NHL average. He's just not what you expect out of a guy as highly touted as he was. He was hurt last year but as a 19 year old he put up 12 goals and 20 points in 65 games with no pp time of note. 12 goals would put him around #7 on most teams on average. 20 points is on the low end for a 3rd liner or a high end 4th liner. But he is actually a better playmaker than those numbers suggest. It's hard to get assists if no one on your line ever scores. So his out put is fine for a bottom 6 guy even as a 19 year old. And he is actually fairly good defensively already especially in his own end. The problem is that he is not a bottom sixer in his own mind so he does not buy into the role at this point in his career. When he keeps it simple he is fine. Playing with guys like McDavid he starts to drift.

His play with Strome was quite good. 3 goals and 5 points in 237 minutes at ES is actually above average for a third liner. They were also a plus 3 playing together which is something on a team with such a high negative goal differential.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Have to disagree with the bolded. From my perch last year, most games he didn't even seem like a competent extra NHL forward. Yes, he showed some skill, and has size, but like a new born fawn learning to run, he looked out of place most nights. Hopefully his time in the KHL will help him mature and become a useful player for some NHL team.
I agree that he took a step back last year. But it seems he was dealing with significant injury issues. My comments are based more on his second year where he was healthy. And even then I think it comes down to buying into the role. Last year he was already starting to express concerns about not being in the top six. To me that is his big issue.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I feel a bit better about our bottom 9 after seeing the Panthers lineup on DailyFaceoff.

c8137d9056ffb222d8a404aa203386a9.png

Yikes. Boyle at #2C. Pysyk playing third line wing? o_O That can't be real.

Holland should be trying to sucker them into taking Chiasson or Gagner right now.

Don’t look now but that bottom six is decisively out producing our bottom six by leaps and bounds.

Reactions: majormajor

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
It worked with Neal sure, but swapping underperforming bottom 6ers for new underperforming bottom 6ers is what the Oilers have done over and over again in the last few years. Neal is the only time it didn't fail.

Smith is a trainwreck at this point. I haven't seen Perlini's game this year, but from last year I'm guessing he's just too much of a liability for Chicago. He scored goals at a good clip for a 4th liner but he had the worst CF% on the team and only one player had a worse GF% (goals percentage), Brandon Manning.

Fiala is the one guy from the Wild with solid scoring ability. It's not surprising at all that Donato hasn't sustained his scoring touch, he doesn't have much skills-wise. But I don't think the Oilers should look to any of them.

Here's an idea: instead of repeatedly picking over discarded scraps, as the Oilers have done continually in the last few years, how about they pay up for a player or two that is playing well right now. I've brought up Pageau and Tierney, but there's plenty more options out there.

What are the chances that the Leafs realize that they've botched their summer moves and that they can't go into the playoffs without a shutdown RD? Adam Larsson could be a target for them. And obviously Kasperi Kapanen would be a good third line upgrade for the Oilers.

Look at Sonny Milano in Columbus. He's never going to get off the 4th line in Torts' tenure despite consistently scoring at a high per minute rate. He'd be #2LW in Edmonton, and a fine 3rd or 4th line wing option anywhere. He's very unorthodox, and that draws a lot of criticism, but his overall defensive contribution is fine. A lot of giveaways but also a lot of takeaways. He's probably available for a 2nd rounder, if you wait until he has a dry spell or pisses off his coach.
If you are paying up for players who are playing well right now, you are paying full price and potentially more if the team isn't inclined to move them. As a team we've been asset poor and are generally in a rebuilding mode so you don't tend to pay up for established players to be a slightly better version of a bad team. When you are kind of getting into the playoff mix it's a bit more justifiable to be paying for capable guys to patch holes, I wouldn't mind one move of this variety, but we should still be somewhat geared to the asset accumulation phase (find gems in the scraps) given the overall structure of the current team and what's in the pipeline.

Hopefully with some overhaul to our pro scouting department of late we'll make better bets in the future on who we hand out contracts to.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If you are paying up for players who are playing well right now, you are paying full price and potentially more if the team isn't inclined to move them. As a team we've been asset poor and are generally in a rebuilding mode so you don't tend to pay up for established players to be a slightly better version of a bad team. When you are kind of getting into the playoff mix it's a bit more justifiable to be paying for capable guys to patch holes, I wouldn't mind one move of this variety, but we should still be somewhat geared to the asset accumulation phase (find gems in the scraps) given the overall structure of the current team and what's in the pipeline.

Hopefully with some overhaul to our pro scouting department of late we'll make better bets in the future on who we hand out contracts to.

I think if the Oilers are taking on a soon-to-be UFA like Pageau then I'm in agreement with your analysis. They can maybe do that once this year if they expect to make the playoffs.

Milano and Kapanen though are 23 years old with plenty of team control. If you can get bottom six upgrades like that it's well worth putting your 2nd and 3rd rounders into play.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
i kind of like chiassons chippy-ness.....hes' hard up to earn his contract the way things are going...but still...
I never liked this signing especially for two seasons waste of 2.1mil cap hit. Would be nice to have that cap space instead of the player if you ask me. Should of been a one year signing and that is it

MacT at the Wheel

Dec 16, 2016
Calgary
Can someone explain to me why those Bakersfield guys haven't been given a shot on the big club yet? I haven't been reading the boards but I've been watching the games and the bottom six of the big club is as bad as I've ever seen a bottom six. I'm so disappointed in Khaira, he shouldn't be on the ice with how bad he's been. Patrick Russell doesn't look like NHL quality. Sheahan as #4C looks like the only guy who's been slotted properly.

I think Holland is waiting until Christmas to bring up the young guns. Give them a bit of consistency rather than sending them up and down

Lewy

May 26, 2011
If Hall is the best player on your team you aren’t that good. If he’s the third best player on your team you’re probably really good. See: Kessel, Phil.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
To make it even worse...

Florida bottom 9: 15
James Neal: 9
Oilers Bottom 8: 2
To make things better, Oilers 1C is outscoring Florida's 1C 6 to 0... Edm top 3 are outscoring Florida's top 3 17 to 10... Edm best bottom 9 fwd is outscoring Florida's best bottom 9 fwd 9 to 5...

So should we be happy about that? Or is it better to be down over stats showing that we're bad for whatever reason?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Don’t look now but that bottom six is decisively out producing our bottom six by leaps and bounds.

Yeah the Panthers bottom six is half decent. Malgin and Hunt are decent. I would say better than the oil at the moment anyway.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
If we end up top of the division by being awesome @ special teams people will stil whine about ES-points.

Who cares how we win, as long as we win? Right?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
To make things better, Oilers 1C is outscoring Florida's 1C 6 to 0... Edm top 3 are outscoring Florida's top 3 17 to 10... Edm best bottom 9 fwd is outscoring Florida's best bottom 9 fwd 9 to 5...

So should we be happy about that? Or is it better to be down over stats showing that we're bad for whatever reason?

Well this is a trade and rumour thread so we point out the deficiencies on the team that need to be improved such as our bottom 6. They have been downright horrid offensively this season and it’s worrisome as I’m not sure if McDrai can carry the full load for the whole season. Gagner should help but I think at least 1 of our other wingers should be upgraded or swapped out for a more offensive-minded winger.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
If Hall is the best player on your team you aren’t that good. If he’s the third best player on your team you’re probably really good. See: Kessel, Phil.
I dunno man, Hall was the MVP recently. Just needs to not have a total dumpster team around him, kinda like us. With that said, if he's the third best player on your team you are a legitamite playoff threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad