Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Hallsy Take 2?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Last seen in the NHL, Puljujarvi was not a solid 3rd liner in this league.

The notion of patience also assumes that his value can be increased. I'm not sure that is the case. And at this point it seems like the bridge is good and burned with him here in Edmonton.

I just don't know what the end game with Puljujarvi is if you're Holland if trading him for a 2nd+prospect isn't enough. No one is going to give up a legitimate blue chip prospect. No one is going to give up a 1st rounder.

I suppose maybe you'll be able to get a 3rd liner for him. Maybe that's the deal you make...

If Puljujarvi was a third round pick who simply wanted to be in the NHL his play last year would have been fine. He is actually fairly good defensively in his own end, and is not a bad forechecker. Skillwise he is better than a typical 3rd liner. But right now he does not really know how to properly use that skill. It is possible he never will, but he was 20 last year. Relative to most 20 year olds he was actually far ahead of the curve.

As to the 2nd plus a prospect...For me that means a 2nd. Unless the prospect is better than I expect form a generic + it's probably just a body.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Because i'm a fan of the Oil and I want to see them succeed. You on the other hand don't care. You'd rather have Hall back here and bomb to satisfy you're vendetta against me. If hall came back i'd wish him the best and for him to prove me wrong.

I don't think checking a few times on their boards is excessive. Especially since people are discussing wanting hall back. Again, it's not happening because Holland is a SMART man.
For the record, and Ive stated this before, I cant see any way we ever get Hall back as we have neither the spare assets for the trade cost, nor the cap space to keep him.

As for YOU HK97, you are full of it. You claim to be slagging Hall at every single opportunity here, and on the Devils board, because you love the Oilers and want them to succeed? This is clearly a vendetta against a player you hate for some reason. If your concern for was only for the team, you wouldnt have been ragging on Hall the last few years. You were particularly butthurt when he won the Hart Trophy. It’s a pipe dream, but having Hall would instantly make the second line productive and would take our team up a level. That cannot be disputed. Rage all you want, but do it knowing that nobody here is buying your motives, or your schtick, and few buy your arguments.

Reactions: frag2

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The one thing that needs to be considered is the difference in the role you need him for this time vs last. You would be bringing him in to play on the second line and be at best the third fiddle.

A lot of his poor decision making happens when he tries to do it all himself. Generally this would happen when the team was struggling. With the current Oilers his main value would be to provide a very significant second level of attack should teams succeed in shutting down McDavid/Draisaitl. He would be against weaker opposition than he has typically seen in his career. Hopefully he is also more mature than he was his first time in Edmonton.

For all of Hall's faults he is an elite player. It's not easy for a team like Edmonton to add elite players. UFA's don't want to play in Edmonton. Hall might be the exception. The cost could be high but the reward could be significant as well.

Reasonable post. You make valid points. I disagree though that it would work out for us if we bring him in. I'm just not sold still on his attitude and I still think he's a fairly overrated player overall and don't believe he will add enough to make us better overall. His offensive acumen, you would think at least, should be a positive but who knows how it goes with the dynamics of it all. I don't believe he would flourish as a secondary guy.

I think he certainly has elite moments but overall I don't think he's elite. In any case, I guess we can just disagree civilly.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
People say the same stuff about Nugent Hopkins here now and even a year ago people were talking like that about Leon Draisaitl (until he shut them up by going on a giant tear).

NJ has the same problem Edmonton had ... they got two 1st overall picks that aren't really traditionally dominant 1st overalls and that's going to cause a rebuild like that to sputter.

And then people get pissed off because they were expecting a super talented team but they don't really have that.

Hischier and Hughes are decent players but they're not even in that Matthews/Tavares tier, let alone McDavid/Crosby.

Making decisions based on raw emotion is stupid.
You are on the ball.

Taylor Hall is exactly what this team needs rn. Well, that and an entire 3rd line...

Reactions: McXLNC97

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
If Taylor Hall is available, you make it fit (at terms where both parties bear some risk). We're not in position to be turning down elite talent, and there are plenty of contracts that will be expiring inupcoming years which will allow us to go top-heavy with ELC's.

Read into this quote how you want, but seems like one foot is out the door already

Top 20 UFAs in 2020: Updates, breakdowns and projected roles...

It’s looking like the paths of agent Darren Ferris and Devils GM Ray Shero will connect for another in-person meeting in the next few weeks but Ferris was quiet about where things stand. “I have to respect the process,” he said. Hall is a student of the game. He was also drafted into a rebuilding franchise and then shipped across the continent. Finally, he controls the process and you have to believe he’s going to be meticulous in making sure the monster contract he signs is the right fit.

Reactions: McXLNC97

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
id take debrusk or vrana over hall....id also look at jenner....maybe hubderdeau.....or trochek.....

not that these guys are available....

jenner is not better than hall....but i wonder if j-kekks would take a flyer on his fellow finn in pulju + a sweetner.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Reasonable post. You make valid points. I disagree though that it would work out for us if we bring him in. I'm just not sold still on his attitude and I still think he's a fairly overrated player overall and don't believe he will add enough to make us better overall. His offensive acumen, you would think at least, should be a positive but who knows how it goes with the dynamics of it all. I don't believe he would flourish as a secondary guy.

I think he certainly has elite moments but overall I don't think he's elite. In any case, I guess we can just disagree civilly.

Ckp4zWL.gif

Reactions: frag2

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Chicago trying to move Zack Smith and Perlini.

Minnesota trying to move Fiala, Ek, and Donato.

Might be something for our bottom 6.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Maybe we can move some of our underperforming bottom 6 guys for other underperforming bottom 6ers. Change of scenery, different coaching, system, etc. Worked for us with Neal, maybe lightning can strike twice or even thrice.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Maybe we can move some of our underperforming bottom 6 guys for other underperforming bottom 6ers. Change of scenery, different coaching, system, etc. Worked for us with Neal, maybe lightning can strike twice or even thrice.

Bit too early for most of our bottom 6, imo. I mean most of them were signed this offseason.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Bit too early for most of our bottom 6, imo. I mean most of them were signed this offseason.
I'm not sure what the threshold is for allowing this to continue, but the complete lack of production is getting alarming, and is being masked by some pretty good goaltending, out of this world play by our stars, and a nice schedule against mostly mediocre teams.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm not sure what the threshold is for allowing this to continue, but the complete lack of production is getting alarming, and is being masked by some pretty good goaltending, out of this world play by our stars, and a nice schedule against mostly mediocre teams.

Not that I disagree, but I think between Bakersfield and the guys we have here, it's worth experimenting a bit more before making any moves. Gagner, Jurco, Haas, Nygard (once he's back) could all make a difference offensively, so I'd see if something works there before making any moves.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Not that I disagree, but I think between Bakersfield and the guys we have here, it's worth experimenting a bit more before making any moves. Gagner, Jurco, Haas, Nygard (once he's back) could all make a difference offensively, so I'd see if something works there before making any moves.

For example:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Nygard-Nuge-Neal
Gagner-Haas-Jurco
Chiasson-Sheahan-Russell/Khaira

That looks like a decent bottom 6 to me. Not world-beating, by any stretch, but decent. We also have Puljujarvi who might return something, not to mention any call ups later in the season could affect things.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
just a quick reminder. observation or whatever you want to call

we only have cap space because of the Larsson injury--without that we are against the cap

Smith carries a 3.25 cap hit, has topped 30 pts only twice and out 10 years in the NHL he had one good year where he got 25 goals and 11 assists four years ago and he is signed for another year after this one. For me is a bottom 6 guy and is not worth his contract

For me Perlini is a more interesting as he is on under 1 mill a year, is 23 and all we would need to is send a one mill contract in return. And yes--I am bias because he is a product of the English hockey system

Reactions: ujju2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
An that 2nd has about a 30-40% chance of being at best a solid 3rd liner which Puljujarvi already is. There are three players form Puljujarvi's draft year picked in the 2nd round or later that have had any impact at the NHL level. Debrincat, Girard and Bratt. Unfortunately, you lose this trade 9/10 times.

I still think the Oilers best bet is to be patient with any trade they make with him.

Puljujarvi isn't a solid NHLer in any capacity.
With that said, a 2nd rounder straight up (even a high one) is not a return that Holland is likely to settle for.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a big Chiasson fan. Was picked out of the bargain bin last year when no one else stepped forward and went on a shooting tear, while being gifted prime minutes with McJesus and the PP. Quickly potted 18 goals on a highly unsustainable shooting % and then, predictably, only 4 the rest of the year when moved down the lineup. I thought he would fall flat this year, reverting to a more normal shooting % and nowhere near the stars or 1st PP unit. I don't think he has the foot speed we need nor the aggressiveness for someone his size. I don't see him getting near double digits in goals, and maybe even as low as 5. Hope I'm wrong.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Put me solidly in the "wait and see on the bottom 6" camp.

The team is winning and getting it done defensively overall.

There's legit help down in Bakersfield and on IR as well...

Marody
Benson
Nygard
Haas
Gambardella
Currie
Yamamoto

They have Gagner up as well who I think will help offensively... he needs more than just 1 game so give him some time here.

I realize it's 11 games and the bottom 6 has 1 goal (Nygard)... but I still wouldn't panic. There's decent offensive potential in the org and there's also no guarantee that whoever they bring in as a bottom 6 addition from a trade with another team will actually contribute more than those guys I listed above.

Reactions: Jeff Lebowski

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Minnesota trying to move Fiala, Ek, and Donato.

Might be something for our bottom 6.

I know the prior rumor was Guerin wanted to bundle youth with old and overpaid players to get them off the books, I don't think we can afford to bite on that sort of deal.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
An that 2nd has about a 30-40% chance of being at best a solid 3rd liner which Puljujarvi already is. There are three players form Puljujarvi's draft year picked in the 2nd round or later that have had any impact at the NHL level. Debrincat, Girard and Bratt. Unfortunately, you lose this trade 9/10 times.

I still think the Oilers best bet is to be patient with any trade they make with him.

Have to disagree with the bolded. From my perch last year, most games he didn't even seem like a competent extra NHL forward. Yes, he showed some skill, and has size, but like a new born fawn learning to run, he looked out of place most nights. Hopefully his time in the KHL will help him mature and become a useful player for some NHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad