Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Evander Kane, Come on Down?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would You Take a Chance on Signing Evander Kane?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
And they failed. The answer is to do it right, not throw all your hopes on the shoulders of an aging, oft-injured and extremely expensive goalie five years removed from elite performance.

Skinner looks ready to play a regular role as back up or even 1B now. Seems likely we'll start seeing guys like Holloway, Broberg, Samorukov and Lavoie vie for NHL jobs by next season with Bourgault coming up after, so 3-4 years seems excessively pessimistic. Also none of those guys are going to be asked to make "a huge impact" they just need to be better depth options than the worn-out husks we're throwing out in the bottom six now.
I don't even think they failed to be honest. Zach Hyman and Warren Foegele are productive players now and they probably will be for the next several seasons. There are definitely some busts, but the free agent market is stock full of them every year.

The problem with the roster right now is primarily the injury/COVID stuff, but it's also how guys are being deployed. Losing Larsson hurt and Tippett hasn't figured out how to work his roster without him as a fallback.

I'd like to see the depth chart I posted earlier. And I'd like to see Holland go out and grab a big bodied forward like Nick Paul or Zemgus Girgensons to add to the bottom six depth and spend the majority of the deadline assets on a LD that can do some of what Larsson did. Neither breaks the bank and neither casts a cloud over the team long-term.

This roster as is will make the playoffs this year. Plenty of divisional games left and a number of guys who historically thrive in the later stages of a season.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Not really making that argument in Koskinen's favor. The whole discussion is based on a poster's belief that a 35 year old Carey Price will somehow mask the deficiencies that our roster currently possesses.

It's far likelier that he'd struggle in the same way countless others have in recent years until team's depth improves internally. It would just be a highly unnecessary risk.
OK, my apologies. That I can partially agree with, I think Price would win us more games. But taking on even a portion of that contract might sewer any attempt to put together a winning roster. Goalies are so hit and miss, look at what Talbot is currently doing for the Wild.

Reactions: belair

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't even think they failed to be honest. Zach Hyman and Warren Foegele are productive players now and they probably will be for the next several seasons. There are definitely some busts, but the free agent market is stock full of them every year.

The problem with the roster right now is primarily the injury/COVID stuff, but it's also how guys are being deployed. Losing Larsson hurt and Tippett hasn't figured out how to work his roster without him as a fallback.

I'd like to see the depth chart I posted earlier. And I'd like to see Holland go out and grab a big bodied forward like Nick Paul or Zemgus Girgensons to add to the bottom six depth and spend the majority of the deadline assets on a LD that can do some of what Larsson did. Neither breaks the bank and neither casts a cloud over the team long-term.

This roster as is will make the playoffs this year. Plenty of divisional games left and a number of guys who historically thrive in the later stages of a season.

Nope (at least I don't think it will happen, although obviously it could). California teams are way better this year, as well as Calgary. Our defence is beyond a joke and our goaltending is pathetic. We have no secondary scoring to save our lives, and there are no young AHL scoring players we can bring in to solve the issue internally. This is a lost season IMO.... again.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Hyman as 0 goals and is minus 9 in his last 10 games. He is starting to look like james neal.

I know people love this guy but he has been as disappointing as any oiler during this free fall.

Reactions: Shizuka

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

That is really the only reason I stand behind adding Kane and all of his baggage. Kane added likely means RNH can play 3rd line center. I'm still not convinced Tippet has the chops to get this team playing a structurally sound game. But the added winger depth would help. A healthy roster and a 2nd/3rd pairing LD is also necessary and something that I hope is addressed. As for a goalie that would be a fit, contract wise and a good for the short term I have no idea?

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021

The bottom 6 has like a 22 gf% at 5vs5. It's a catastrophic failure how this team continues to be worse than expansion teams when McDrai aren't on ice. Obviously Holland botchering the defence and goaltending doesn't help there.

Reactions: Little Fury

ConnorMcBackcheck

Dec 31, 2021
USA
Hyman as 0 goals and is minus 9 in his last 10 games. He is starting to look like james neal.

I know people love this guy but he has been as disappointing as any oiler during this free fall.
The Leafs pretty easily replaced his role and production with a depth guy. This is why everyone clamoring for Holland to improve the team through free agency is wrong. All you're doing is overpaying for guys that have given their most productive seasons to another team.

Did Hyman move the needle enough to justify a seven year deal deep into his thirties? Build through the draft and realize that you're a team based in Edmonton. Any free agent that is willing to come is going to be overpaid.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nope (at least I don't think it will happen, although obviously it could). California teams are way better this year, as well as Calgary. Our defence is beyond a joke and our goaltending is pathetic. We have no secondary scoring to save our lives, and there are no young AHL scoring players we can bring in to solve the issue internally. This is a lost season IMO.... again.
Anaheim is riding the very hot hands of a handful of guys very unlikely to sustain their scoring pace all season. LA isn't really much of a surprise, but they're still a very shallow team in terms of reliable depth and San Jose is a very weak team batting well above their heads. Calgary is sliding down the standings right along with us.

Give us a dozen games and we'll be ahead of all four of them. We've been getting our asses handed to us mostly by Eastern teams. And we're also getting healthy.

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

By no means am I saying that it was a good or intelligent signing. I have always believed that it was a very unnecessary risk that could potentially have a long-reaching impact on the organization's ability to navigate the cap.

I'm saying that those players will be productive for the foreseeable future. They will make a larger impact than the guys we have in our bottom six.

Derek Ryan, Kyle Turris, Devin Shore, Brendan Perlini, Slater Koekkoek. Those are what I would deem 'failures'.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Everyone has sucked during the free fall that’s why it’s been a free fall. I don’t think we can base our season on this.

All the big signings by Holland was supposed to be the solution to when our top two over worked, over relied on players cool down.

We see tippett roasted each game and out top two guys most of thee other guys pardon the pun just skate from any criticism. Hyman should be getting roasted.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
The Leafs pretty easily replaced his role and production with a depth guy. This is why everyone clamoring for Holland to improve the team through free agency is wrong. All you're doing is overpaying for guys that have given their most productive seasons to another team.

Did Hyman move the needle enough to justify a seven year deal deep into his thirties? Build through the draft and realize that you're a team based in Edmonton. Any free agent that is willing to come is going to be overpaid.
The Oilers unfortunately don’t have enough depth guys to even fill out their roster let alone replace Hyman. They can’t afford to sit around and hope their prospects turn out.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Anaheim is riding the very hot hands of a handful of guys very unlikely to sustain their scoring pace all season. LA isn't really much of a surprise, but they're still a very shallow team in terms of reliable depth and San Jose is a very weak team batting well above their heads. Calgary is sliding down the standing right along with us.

Give us a dozen games and we'll be ahead of all four of them. We've been getting our asses handed to us mostly by Eastern teams. And we're also getting healthy.

I wouldn't say that. Zegras has a 9.16 onSH% and Terry has a 8.33%. That's pretty normal. Probably closer to below average for skill guys.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Price is at minimum as good as Smith but 5 years younger, in the playoffs he's better than any goalie in the West.

Don't tell me goaltending doesn't make a difference, the Oilers were a terrible 3-6 last season before Smith bailed them out.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wouldn't say that. Zegras has a 9.16 onSH% and Terry has a 8.33%. That's pretty normal. Probably closer to below average for skill guys.
If there's one team that's likely to sustain their pace, it's them. But I don't see it.

They also have some pretty big decisions to make on UFAs.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
They spent a fortune to "improve team depth" in the summer. That's just an excuse to keep kicking the can down the line and wasting McDavid and Draisaitl's time for longer and longer.

The "internal improvements" via drafting are going to require 3-4 more years before they are ready to make a huge impact in wins/losses, and that's assuming many of those picks pan out, which won't happen. A lot of those prospects will go the way of Ethan Bear or Caleb Jones or Tyler Benson or Kailer Yamamoto, some won't even reach that point.

If a 38 year old Mike Smith can make the team look half decent, then a 34 year old Price can likely too.
These external and internal improvements never come to fruition. We blew the cap space and none of these recently drafted players will turn the tide. This is mediocre hockey purgatory. How many times do you have to get fooled?
image.JPG

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If there's one team that's likely to sustain their pace, it's them. But I don't see it.

They also have some pretty big decisions to make on UFAs.

That'll be interesting to follow.

A smart plan would probably be to look to move all those guys, make a few shrewd moves with some of the picks in the offseason and then plan to compete with Terry/Zegras/Drysdale in a couple years from now, but GMs can't seem to help themselves from holding on to UFAs to be average.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Dmen get paid for putting up points and Barrie is one of the best in the league at it. If he was better defensively he’d be making 8+ right now. There’s a market for Barrie at his current deal. If we put Nurse on the market there’d be a lineup of teams willing to take him off our hands. Big, fast, tough, can play in any situation and has made all his partners look good.

Dmen get paid for putting up points? I thought they got paid for, you know, defending. Haha, there would not be a market for Nurse and his 9.25M contract. And can you please provide the data showing he made all his partners look good? That simply isn’t true. I’m a realist. I like Nurse- but your version of him isn’t true.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Did they have pre COVID? Because they were playing like trash for a good month before.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Dmen get paid for putting up points? I thought they got paid for, you know, defending. Haha, there would not be a market for Nurse and his 9.25M contract. And can you please provide the data showing he made all his partners look good? That simply isn’t true. I’m a realist. I like Nurse- but your version of him isn’t true.

When did Dmen get paid or win Norris’ for defending? Almost every Norris winner in history was a top point producer among D, it’s just a bonus if they can defend. Was Coffey good at defending? What about Fox, Makar or Hughes? Larsson is considered an elite defensive D and he gets paid around 4 million.

I’m to lazy to look up the data but he made Bear look like a top pairing Dman, once he wasn’t paired with Nurse he looked like a 3rd pairing Dman. Barrie had a career year last year being paired with Nurse. Bouchard looks great next to Nurse but once you give him a different partner he looks like a rookie. But yeah, hate on Nurse and his slight overpayment because you don’t like him for whatever reason. If he made it to UFA he’d be getting 9+ from numerous teams.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Did they have pre COVID? Because they were playing like trash for a good month before.
The losses began at the Seattle loss on Dec 3. We were missing Ceci, Nurse and Keith all at different points of that stretch. Russell, too.

They weren't icing a full healthy roster at any point of that stretch.

Not really saying they're world beaters when they are healthy, but they're not a 2-11 roster either. They're better than the majority of this division.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Well we probably have the Keith pick no? It just can’t be traded if I’m correct.
Correct. The 2nd and 3rd cannot be traded until the conditions are met or not. Which means they can't be used till after the season/playoffs.

The problem is just the fact you can't use them. Those could be used to get a player that might help. He basically painted himself into a corner in that he can't upgrade the roster, so when he says "the fix has to come from within" he really means "the moves I've made tied my hands and I can't upgrade the roster".

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Correct. The 2nd and 3rd cannot be traded until the conditions are met or not. Which means they can't be used till after the season/playoffs.

The problem is just the fact you can't use them. Those could be used to get a player that might help. He basically painted himself into a corner in that he can't upgrade the roster, so when he says "the fix has to come from within" he really means "the moves I've made tied my hands and I can't upgrade the roster".
Technically the pick can be conditional. If the 2nd does to Chicago, the 2023 pick would replace it.

The quote he made in that press conference meant that the current roster needs to show they can compete. A rental player isn't going to fix everything.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad