Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Evander Kane, Come on Down?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would You Take a Chance on Signing Evander Kane?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Huh? Barrie’s deal is horrible and he is terrible defensively. Nurse is overpaid by about 2M, not slightly overpaid

Dmen get paid for putting up points and Barrie is one of the best in the league at it. If he was better defensively he’d be making 8+ right now. There’s a market for Barrie at his current deal. If we put Nurse on the market there’d be a lineup of teams willing to take him off our hands. Big, fast, tough, can play in any situation and has made all his partners look good.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
A first and Barrie would be my limit. If you really want to throw in a prospect, IMO, it shouldn't be any one of Broberg, Bourgault, Petrov, or Holloway.
I agree with the prospect forwards but aren't you getting in Chychrun what you would like Broberg to hopefully turn into. It is overpaying but the Oilers should be really pushing to contend sooner than later.

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Huh? Barrie’s deal is horrible and he is terrible defensively. Nurse is overpaid by about 2M, not slightly overpaid
Barrie despite the horrendous usage and poor play this season is on pace for 41 points, which is probably in the top six for team scoring when all is said and done.

His contract is fine. Two more years at $4.5m is very movable and it's very good for the kind of production he has. Maybe it's in the team's best interest to put him with scorers until it's necessary to move that contract.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Barrie despite the horrendous usage and poor play this season is on pace for 41 points, which is probably in the top six for team scoring when all is said and done.

His contract is fine. Two more years at $4.5m is very movable and it's very good for the kind of production he has. Maybe it's in the team's best interest to put him with scorers until it's necessary to move that contract.
But are we looking to pump up players stats to move them, or are we trying to get into the playoffs? I'm not saying what you suggest in the bolded is incorrect, and at the end of the day, maybe that IS the best course of action for success for both the player and team. But we need to make the playoffs this year, and if the players contract movability is affected by doing that, so be it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What rumor? There would be a handful of teams offering substantially more than that for Chychrun.
Not so sure about that. Right now, that first of ours sits as a top 12 pick. I would think most, if not all of the teams out there interested would be farther up the standings than us, and therefor offering lower picks because of it. And Broberg's pedigree is an 8th overall. And, although there are severe defensive and size limitations, not many teams can offer a bonafide PP point man to take Chychruns place, who had the 2nd most points last year, and as you noted, is tracking for another 41 this year. All on a reasonable cost controlled contract, which is most appealing to a cash strapped low budget team like the Coyotes.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
But are we looking to pump up players stats to move them, or are we trying to get into the playoffs? I'm not saying what you suggest in the bolded is incorrect, and at the end of the day, maybe that IS the best course of action for success for both the player and team. But we need to make the playoffs this year, and if the players contract movability is affected by doing that, so be it.
I think this roster is too top heavy as it stands. Too many minutes for the top guys and a bottom six that really isn't 'protecting' people the way that it should.

Foegele - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Kane - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
McLeod - RNH - Hyman
Benson - Ryan - Kassian
Shore- Sceviour

Nurse - Barrie
Keith - Bouchard
XXXX - Ceci

Players need to be put in positions where they can succeed at even strength because the current formula of player deployment has been showing the same results for three years now.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Who said I am running him out of town ? I am thinking out side of the box . Would I trade Nurse for Price . I probably would say no right now . If Nurse is playing like a number 4 D next year while making 9.25M I would probably do it just base on contract length . You know cap space matters . Holland spent 40 million this summer (2021) . He signed Hyman whom I like . Keith is a ok top 4 but better suited to 3rd pairing but at a cap hit of over 5M we could of done better . Ceci I am ok with , Nurse was a bad deal . I could care less about Ryan it is a low cap hit and short period of time . Yamamoto was a good deal , Smith terrible . I am not going to blame him for Koskinen as he would be a hard sell .Holland is 50% at best on everything he done .

Good
Puljujarvi
Barrie year 1
Smith year 1
Hyman
Yamamoto contract
Ceci

Bad
Keith with no retention
Barrie addition years
Smith addition years
Nurse contract
Goalie..... that can be viewed as not drafting one to not bring in an better option then Smith .
No 3rd line centre

Can go either way

RNH
Bourgault

Let hope he don't go back to Chicago to try and get MAF . Chicago has the same barrel waiting .

When Holland goes to buy a new car the sales person must love it . No negotiating skills . Full rip ++
Why I would never think of doing this is because, when Nurse is on his game, there is not that many players that are like him. If we lose him, we probably will never find a player like him again

Reactions: yakcity1064

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I agree with the prospect forwards but aren't you getting in Chychrun what you would like Broberg to hopefully turn into. It is overpaying but the Oilers should be really pushing to contend sooner than later.

The problem is that after 3 years he’s a UFA and he either walks or signs for around 9 million. With Broberg we have him under team control for 7 more years.

Reactions: belair

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Proven top end goalies tend to have a way of bouncing back from some down years, Sergei Bobrovsky has had 2 bad years, and even that last year in Columbus was only .913 which isn't spectacular. So three straight sorta sub-par regular seasons by his standard.

But he's back to .921 this year. And he's only a year younger than Price.

Even MAF, two down years in Vegas after his great first year (.927 first year in Vegas, down a lot to .913 and then down further to .905) and then suddenly rockets back and wins the Vezina at age 37 with a .928 season. Ya think the Knights going to trade for Lehner didn't light a bit of a fire under his ass?

Smith also didn't look so hot in Calgary (putrid .898 save percentage) the year before he came here, but he basically found another wind in Edmonton and gave the team a couple of good years, unfortunately it looks like Holland's luck on that has run out.

Who knows too how much the addiction issues hindered Price the last few years as well, if he's clean and straight now, that could also get him back to being a .920 regular season goalie awfully quick.

This is a great example of survivor bias. Look at a guy like Henrik Lundqvist who had a seven year long run as an elite goalie and who fell off a cliff right around the time he hit Price's age (injuries had a lot to do with that, but that's also an issue with Price).

The actual takeaway is that goalies are voodoo.

Reactions: belair

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
The problem is that after 3 years he’s a UFA and he either walks or signs for around 9 million. With Broberg we have him under team control for 7 more years.
Except you have much bigger pressing matters in 3-4 years when Broberg's potential is most likely being realized. Again I think this team needs to be contending very soon, Chychrun is on a decent contract right now and will help the team now.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is a great example of survivor bias. Look at a guy like Henrik Lundqvist who had a seven year long run as an elite goalie and who fell off a cliff right around the time he hit Price's age (injuries had a lot to do with that, but that's also an issue with Price).

The actual takeaway is that goalies are voodoo.
Whose individual performance is frequently impacted by the quality of team in front of them.

Reactions: Little Fury

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Check twitter bro. Lots of fun lol
Now I understand. Twitter bros run people out of town with online meanness and hates. This changes my entire world view and I've got 3 words for twitter bros with built up frustrations and bad intentions, those misdirected twitter bros aimless and unfocused in life because they grew up in broken homes and have too much time on their hands...
giphy.gif

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Whose individual performance is frequently impacted by the quality of team in front of them.
Sure but I think it has been proven that Kosk isn't a starting goaltender. Even when he was winning there were multiple instances where he was sub par. I think positionally he looks good but is prone to mental errors at multiple times throughout a game. That can't happen at this level, sure all goalies have mental lapses but with Kosk it happens too often. I'd run with Skinner tbh. I think Kosk has lost the faith of his team and his coach.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Sure but I think it has been proven that Kosk isn't a starting goaltender. Even when he was winning there were multiple instances where he was sub par. I think positionally he looks good but is prone to mental errors at multiple times throughout a game. That can't happen at this level, sure all goalies have mental lapses but with Kosk it happens too often. I'd run with Skinner tbh. I think Kosk has lost the faith of his team and his coach.
Koskinen gets burned out easily and it takes him months to fully recover. I think if he had fifteen to 20 well spaced out starts during an NHL season, never playing consecutive games, he would be an above average back-up. I've been saying that for a long time. What do I know, Tippett knows best.

Reactions: Shaquille Oatmeal

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not really making that argument in Koskinen's favor. The whole discussion is based on a poster's belief that a 35 year old Carey Price will somehow mask the deficiencies that our roster currently possesses.

It's far likelier that he'd struggle in the same way countless others have in recent years until team's depth improves internally. It would just be a highly unnecessary risk.

Reactions: McTedi

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not really making that argument in Koskinen's favor. The whole discussion is based on a poster's belief that a 35 year old Carey Price will somehow mask the deficiencies that our roster currently possesses.

It's far likelier that he'd struggle in the same way countless others have in recent years until team's depth improves internally. It would just be a highly unnecessary risk.

They spent a fortune to "improve team depth" in the summer. That's just an excuse to keep kicking the can down the line and wasting McDavid and Draisaitl's time for longer and longer.

The "internal improvements" via drafting are going to require 3-4 more years before they are ready to make a huge impact in wins/losses, and that's assuming many of those picks pan out, which won't happen. A lot of those prospects will go the way of Ethan Bear or Caleb Jones or Tyler Benson or Kailer Yamamoto, some won't even reach that point.

If a 38 year old Mike Smith can make the team look half decent, then a 34 year old Price can likely too.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
So from what I understand we don't have a 4th for this coming draft and the 2nd and 3rd are tied up with Keith.

Holland doesn't have interest in moving the 1st is because we'll only have 1 pick in 4 rounds if we do.

Still don't agree with it but that's the explanation I've parsed from all the information we've gotten.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Xavier Bourgault
They spent a fortune to "improve team depth" in the summer. That's just an excuse to keep kicking the can down the line and wasting McDavid and Draisaitl's time for longer and longer.

And they failed. The answer is to do it right, not throw all your hopes on the shoulders of an aging, oft-injured and extremely expensive goalie five years removed from elite performance.

The "internal improvements" via drafting are going to require 3-4 more years before they are ready to make a huge impact in wins/losses, and that's assuming many of those picks pan out, which won't happen. A lot of those prospects will go the way of Ethan Bear or Caleb Jones or Tyler Benson or Kailer Yamamoto, some won't even reach that point.

Skinner looks ready to play a regular role as back up or even 1B now. Seems likely we'll start seeing guys like Holloway, Broberg, Samorukov and Lavoie vie for NHL jobs by next season with Bourgault coming up after, so 3-4 years seems excessively pessimistic. Also none of those guys are going to be asked to make "a huge impact" they just need to be better depth options than the worn-out husks we're throwing out in the bottom six now.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
So from what I understand we don't have a 4th for this coming draft and the 2nd and 3rd are tied up with Keith.

Holland doesn't have interest in moving the 1st is because we'll only have 1 pick in 4 rounds if we do.

Still don't agree with it but that's the explanation I've parsed from all the information we've gotten.
Well we probably have the Keith pick no? It just can’t be traded if I’m correct.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Well we probably have the Keith pick no? It just can’t be traded if I’m correct.

They do, and it looks like it will be the 2nd that the Oilers keep. But if they traded the 1st, that would leave them with only that 2nd in the first 4 rounds. (Right now, they have two picks in the first 4 rounds.)

This is where teams can get creative though. Use the 1st to gain leverage for another 2nd or 3rd round pick, and then either be happy with that or try to turn those picks into one higher pick, etc. It is not necessarily the case that trading the 1st means the Oilers will only have 1 pick in the first 4 rounds.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

If a 38 year old Mike Smith can make the team look half decent, then a 34 year old Price can likely too.
Guys like Broberg, Holloway, Bourgault and Skinner aren't 3 or 4 years away. Some are 1, maybe 2 years from being impactful players in some facet on the NHL roster.

They don't have to be top six players either. They just need to be improvements on the depth players the roster currently ices.

It's not about the age difference that makes Price a risk. It's the cost, it's the term and it's his production and health. It's a very permanent decision that has an overwhelming number of things that could turn the deal sideways. It's an exceptionally bad idea with a very unlikely potential of success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad