Rumor: Rumor & Proposals: The sound of silence (Free Agency opens 12PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Fayne is overpaid, but he's good depth to have. Our cap is rapidly drying up, but his deal actually fits just fine from a cap management perspective. His deal runs out exactly runs out when McDavid's extension kicks in. We should be able to absorb Fayne's hit easily until then.

Fayne showed good shutdown ability at the end of the season after a rough first half. I like him moving up the depth chart for injury replacement better than Gryba or Nurse or Reinhart.

good point.

a starting night D group of

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Demers
Davidson Wiz
Fayne

Certainly wouldn't be bad. As long as the cap works.

Make Nurse and Reinhart fight it out in the AHL for who gets the first call.

oilers92

Jan 26, 2010
Edmonton
Fayne is overpaid, but he's good depth to have. Our cap is rapidly drying up, but his deal actually fits just fine from a cap management perspective. His deal runs out exactly runs out when McDavid's extension kicks in. We should be able to absorb Fayne's hit easily until then.

Fayne showed good shutdown ability at the end of the season after a rough first half. I like him moving up the depth chart for injury replacement better than Gryba or Nurse or Reinhart.

I also like a Davidson-Fayne bottom pairing. We can give those guys some tough starts and maybe give Larsson a break.

Fayne's fine if you have someone who can move the puck, that's his main detraction on the Oilers. Not really his fault but i also don't see him accepting a number 7 role for the next few years considering he can actually play a little at this level

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Fayne's fine if you have someone who can move the puck, that's his main detraction on the Oilers. Not really his fault but i also don't see him accepting a number 7 role for the next few years considering he can actually play a little at this level

He doesn't really have a choice. He was demoted to the AHL last year, I really don't think he's in a position to be making any trade demands.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
I didnt realize that the Lucic 7X7 contract was a done deal.

Think I came across wrong sorry. I know it hasnt happened yet, I tryed to write it as a hypothetical. Just saying it would go back on everything he said about the hall trade. IMO Lucic at 6+ for more then 4 years is a huge risk

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I really think the "Oilers need to badly overpay for UFA's" refrain is getting old. I think there are alot of factors that would contribute to Lucic wanting to sign here. It's close to home, team on the rise, chance to play with most likely the best player in the league for years to come. Relationship with Chiarelli, the guy who drafted him. Brand new arena and every amenity an athlete could ever want or need.

My guess is we get a discount on AAV in exchange for max term and some sort of NTC/NMC. I think 5.75 over 7 years with some sort of NTC/NMC is a good deal for both sides. Then Lucic goes on LTIR the last couple years when that Kyphosis starts acting up :sarcasm:

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
Nope, hasn't been in years.

Gotcha. Someone posted midnight a few threads ago. I guess that wouldn't be good for TV ratings if dudes were getting signed in the middle of the night.

Also stoked to be able to watch TSN for this tomorrow.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
good point.

a starting night D group of

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Demers
Davidson Wiz
Fayne

Certainly wouldn't be bad. As long as the cap works.

Make Nurse and Reinhart fight it out in the AHL for who gets the first call.

I'd be happy with that D but I'm afraid of the contract the Oilers will give Demers. The guy is a #4 in my books who will probably be paid 5M+.

I hope the highest they go is 4.5M for 5 years.

oilers92

Jan 26, 2010
Edmonton
He doesn't really have a choice. He was demoted to the AHL last year, I really don't think he's in a position to be making any trade demands.

and he doesn't have to be a decent vet to have on the team if the team isn't going to allow him to ply his trade on this team or another at a level he can and should be playing, bottom pairing.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I'd be happy with that D but I'm afraid of the contract the Oilers will give Demers. The guy is a #4 in my books who will probably be paid 5M+.

I hope the highest they go is 4.5M for 5 years.

Meh. Demers may be the man taken in the expansion draft as well. Depends on what happens with the D over the season. Davidson may take a big step forward. Or Demers may look invaluable.

Assuming he signs here.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
If Demers is signed tomorrow then I can't see Barrie being brought in due to his asking price. Who is out there as a cheap PP option then? Wisniewski?

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Demers
Davidson - _____

I don't mind a cheap contract for the Wiz. Otherwise following your template:

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Fayne
Davidson - Demers

Could always flip it the bottom 2, but I think this makes some sense and provides more balance than a strictly top-loaded Top-4.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Meh. Demers may be the man taken in the expansion draft as well. Depends on what happens with the D over the season. Davidson may take a big step forward. Or Demers may look invaluable.

Assuming he signs here.

Demers will 100% get a NMC so I doubt we're getting him. I know we showed him around the arena, but that was before we got Larsson. I think we're off Demers now.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Demers will 100% get a NMC so I doubt we're getting him. I know we showed him around the arena, but that was before we got Larsson. I think we're off Demers now.

I don't think Demers is the player to go after. Will come with term and cap hit.
Larsson, Klefbom, Sekera, Fayne, Davidson is a decent group. Reinhart and Nurse may surprise. I'd add a veteran with some pedigree who would not command a big term or big dollars. Wisniewski, Seidenberg, maybe Boyle even (if he's not retiring). This defense is a work in progress. It will get much better in a year or 2 once young players mature.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Lucic would give us a good level of play for at least 3-4 years IMO. Not to worried about what happens after that. We can deal with it then. If Chiarelli can bring in Lucic/Maroon/Kassian within a calendar year, I would say that is a pretty good job addressing our toughness. People don't understand just how big we are going to be.

Lucic/Maroon/Kassian/Pouliot/Draisaitl/Puljujarvi are all big boys. We can finally be a team that imposes our will physically. New territory for Oiler fans but I think we might just like it.

I'm not happy about the direction of the team, but if we are sticking to Chia's Boston Bruins blueprint super imposed onto our team, I think we need to put a strong emphasis on penalty killing. The very nature of big bruising line-ups is you are going to take some stupid penalties and you are going to be on the penalty kill a lot more often making it very important that we are good at it. Winnipeg is a big strong team and honestly they should of been good enough to make the playoffs, but they sunk their season cause they take a huge number of penalties and their PK or more accurately special teams in general were just awful.

The forwards with the most penalty killing time last season were:
  • Mark Letestu 201.2 mins
  • Matt Hendricks 151.4 mins
  • Lauri Korpikoski 140.5 mins
  • Anton Lander 117.4 mins
  • Iiro Pakarinen 73.2 mins
  • Ryan Nugent Hopkins 51.6 mins

Given that we bought out Korpikoski (definitely the right move), Anton Lander likely won't be a regular, and it's starting to seem increasingly likely that RNH will be traded. We are significantly eating into our available penalty killers up front when their importance to our team is increasing. I think most are on board with getting a quality defensive center if we trade RNH to take some of the heavy lifting off of McDavid & Drai's shoulders, but I think we are going to need two additions to our roster at a minimum to help out with the PK duties.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

I pretty much agree with this. I am very curious about the way the D changes before training camp. I would like it if Fayne was shipped out. Wisniewski isn't a bad option on the third pairing with power play time. A one year deal. But that leaves a big question mark on the second pairing right D.
But how much is Barrie costing? Who else can be picked out?

Who is the Lucic consolation prize? Vanek? Hahah

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
lol Boyd Gordon, that ain't happening

I'm really not keen on Demers. He's a vanilla #4.

This team needs Barrie. That would diversify things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad