Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You're also preventing any upgrades in the future since he takes the rest of the cap until Skinner's contract is off the books. It makes sense to wait until the core players are done developing before you shoot you one big shot to fill a hole...so you are sure it's still a hole.

I have no problem trading for him -- I'd be pretty dang psyched -- I just don't think I'd do it if I was the GM.
We'd still be ok. We'd still be able to shore up the bottom pairing D.

And a winger who actually plays D would be a welcome addition

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Dahlin @ 10
Meier @ 9
Skinner @ 9
Cozens @ 7-8
Tage @ 7.2
Tuch @ 4.5
Sammy @ 4.3

That's $52 million tied up in 7 guys....and that's BEFORE a Power extension. Gotta also figure that whoever our other top 4 defenseman is (Joker, Johnson, someone not yet here) will get at least in the 4-5-6 range.

So ostensibly, you're probably looking at 60-65 million tied up in 5 forwards and 4 defensemen. So that's leaving about 30 million to spend on 9 forwards, 3 D and 2 goalies.

Bridging Power, Quinn, Peterka and Krebs kind of kicks the can a little down the line.........but ooof.

It's a real hard sell for me to bring in a guy "off the streets" and throw ~9M per year at him, especially when we've got a whole bunch of big contracts coming.

I think this is a case of "We probably CAN, but SHOULD we?". And I don't know. It's a real close one for me.
It's why in my scenario I move Quinn for Meier ... one less upcoming deal to worry about and you keep all the ELCs that have yet to kick in. Plus I don't think we have to worry about Krebs commanding too much of the cap.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
In talking the reality of Meier, Logistically, you have a very functional top line and top unit power play. Not saying it couldn't be better, but on pure offense, its a top 5 NHL line for xGF (though one of the worst for xGA)

Production wise, taking Skinner off that line would be an absolute disaster. Just no. He's productive, he's happy, don't touch him. Would the plan be to bump Tuch to a lower line and have Meier take his spot? Or have Meier drive a second line?

Either way (pushing Meier/Tuch down the lineup) the lessor production out of one of the two is a consideration. Though the hope is either is an upgrade to the 2nd line.

Reactions: Zman5778

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Since Jan 1, we are giving up 3.5 goals per game. If that was the whole season, we'd rank 29th out of 32 teams. And that's the good part of the season. We're also bad on the PK. Not all of that is D, sure, but not sure how anyone can argue that we don't need better dmen, while also arguing we need help on the wings.

We are currently tied for the lead in goal scoring for the season.
Just like Granato said on WGR today, the team defense is what needs to be better. Upgrading one defenseman doesn't do much to fix the issues I'm seeing, no matter how good he personally is defensively.

He said he wants the team identity to be "defense," and wants it to eventually be the thing the team is best at. But one step at a time.

Once they get some practice time, I have no doubt that Granato will address that just as well as he addressed the offense (Sabres were dead last in offense when he took over, and now tied for first).

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
We'd still be ok. We'd still be able to shore up the bottom pairing D.

And a winger who actually plays D would be a welcome addition
Granato hasn't even really worked on team defense with them yet -- he noted yesterday that he has to prioritize things they work on and just haven't gotten to that yet. Sounds like that's the next thing up, once they have the opportunity to practice again.

How are we feeling about this offer assuming Meier signs a extension? I would change it to a 2nd in 23 and a 2nd in 24

I'm almost more worried about his salary than the assets.

Reactions: DJN21 and BUCKSHOT

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015

How are we feeling about this offer assuming Meier signs a extension? I would change it to a 2nd in 23 and a 2nd in 24

Meier is likely going to want too much to be a good acquisition in the long run. And trading Savoie or a 1st is out of the question for 1.3 years of Meier

Reactions: Zman5778

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010

I mean, I know this is going to sound crazy after everything I've said, but if we're only giving up 1 premium asset, then I can get on board.

My main argument against Meier has all been based on the reporting that it will cost significantly more than this, to the point that it makes acquiring what I view as a much more pressing long-term need (top 4 D) harder and less likely. Just giving up one big piece does not do that.

I for one am not really worried about cap that much. We're way under now, it's going up in the future, and we already have key pieces signed to good deals (Tuch/Thompson/Sammy). If we're a good team, we're going to be up against the cap one way or another, and signing a legitimately good player for market value is not really a problem. The goal is just to fit as many of them as possible under the cap, so you want to avoid giving big money to players who aren't as good as Meier.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
It's why in my scenario I move Quinn for Meier ... one less upcoming deal to worry about and you keep all the ELCs that have yet to kick in. Plus I don't think we have to worry about Krebs commanding too much of the cap.
beyond that it leaves the prospects available to cheaply back fill a top heavy roster, 17 million in 2 wingers offsets any savings on thompson's deal

but if vegas has taught me anything its that if you really want to roll an nba lineup out there every night, the mechanics exist to work it out

personally I dont think a prospect and 2 2nds gets you meier, the quality isnt there, especially if SJ likes the depth in the first round, a top 20 pick may intrigue them more than Savoie or they're like me and don't really care all that much about 2nds. It feels like on both halves of that equation I feel like we get off light. Its not 1 our top young roster players (quinn peterka cozens) nor is it or top pick. Just feel like it doesn't makes the grade. Has the whiff of the ROR trade, the only way SJ wins is if Savoie has some amazing development trajectory.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Meier is likely going to want too much to be a good acquisition in the long run. And trading Savoie or a 1st is out of the question for 1.3 years of Meier
Yeah. I am not sure anyone would do that. Any trade requires an extention. If not extension? Then Ill give you a 2nd to eat your stupid 10 mil for 1.3 years. I then get the opportunity to see if he fits before signing long term.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Something I was thinking about with the Meier thing.......

Adams has gone on and on about building a culture and building the room and building a team of guys who want to play with and for each other. And he's even expressed that he hopes that some of the studs will give us a little bit of a hometown discount in order to keep the team and the room together.

And now there's talk of someone coming in and immediately being handed a big-money extension......right when Dahlin and Cozens are due?

I don't doubt that Adams has made calls, and if he's made calls I suppose he's ready to do that................but even still, when push comes to shove, I don't see him ACTUALLY going ahead and giving up a bunch to get Meier and then immediately handing him a big-time deal.

i think he might have Ben asking about another player and out of curiosity asked about their price as a benchmark if they are targeting a different player
If we're trading for Meier.......I'd think one of them would be included in the deal (not that I'd want that, just that I'd expect it).

they can trade Ostlund +
I think Meier gets something closer to the DeBrincat or Fiala trade.

Debrincat was a top 10+2nd by a panicking gm

Fiala was more like Reinhart of 1st+ de ent prospect..

i put Meier close to Fiala snd Reinhart.

ok then under your definition then yes even albatros contracts

but OK has never been on the level of what OELs contract is right now
People on here wanted to buy him out.

yes it was and still is a bad contract. He’s not returning his cap hit. Most players don’t when 32+ in age.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Jesus that's.........I can't imagine SJ actually going for this....there's gotta be a team out there that tops this.

But......if Meier comes with an extension that's sub-8.5....................for a package like that..........I think I worry about the cap later.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
In talking the reality of Meier, Logistically, you have a very functional top line and top unit power play. Not saying it couldn't be better, but on pure offense, its a top 5 NHL line for xGF (though one of the worst for xGA)

Production wise, taking Skinner off that line would be an absolute disaster. Just no. He's productive, he's happy, don't touch him. Would the plan be to bump Tuch to a lower line and have Meier take his spot? Or have Meier drive a second line?

Either way (pushing Meier/Tuch down the lineup) the lessor production out of one of the two is a consideration. Though the hope is either is an upgrade to the 2nd line.

I'm 90% sure that if we trade for Meier, he's immediately getting stapled to Cozens' side and let the two of them have fun. Leave the top line as is.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Jesus that's.........I can't imagine SJ actually going for this....there's gotta be a team out there that tops this.

But......if Meier comes with an extension that's sub-8.5....................for a package like that..........I think I worry about the cap later.
I haven't checked outside of this but Chad and Anthony said something along the lines of what Chicago got for Debricat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad