Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Buffalo Sabres

Speaking of Buffalo, how aggressive does this team get now that things are finally turning around for them? This team has to look at players who can help now and in the future, which Chychrun accomplishes. But where does he actually fit in the lineup? Mattias Samuelsson and Owen Power round out the left side of the top four. Would Chychrun slotting to the right bump Henri Jokiharju to the third pair? And what about the power play? Rasmus Dahlin is the rightful PP1 quarterback, with Power on the second. Ideally, Chychrun has some time on the advantage which then would require knocking a forward off PP2 and rolling with three forwards. Going for a Timo Meier-like option makes a lot more sense for Buffalo, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see them assess.

More Chychrun chatter from the Athletic. The other teams mentioned in the article in order -

LA
Edmonton
St. Louis
Ottawa
(Buffalo)
Florida
NY Islanders

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I wonder how making a winger that has yet to play a single game for the team the highest paid guy on the 2023-24 roster would go over in the locker room?

I would also rather they spend trade assets on a D like Chychrun or Ekholm over a winger like Meier.
Everything I heard Meier is looking at an 8 to 8.5 deal... Skinner would be highest paid player..
Dahlin will get his money... so will Cozens. I don't think it would be an issue at all. ... Dahlin would be ecstatic.. so would Cozens. These guys want to win. What Meier brings will get us closer.

Reactions: michaelsaas

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
How does everyone feel about Blueger as as offseason target for a botton 6C/faceoff guy. Maybe Girgensons can help recruit a fellow Latvian?

As with anything, it'll depends on the price. I'd prefer to aim a little higher though, especially in the faceoff department -- he's just barely breaking even this year (140W, 134L) while taking not a lot of faceoffs.

Reactions: Bendium

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Rosen + Kulich + a 1st? Yikes. And we'd still have a glaring hole on D and 3 less premium assets left to acquire one. Everyone still on board if that's the price?

I don't see a "glaring" hole on defense right now. Sure, maybe we could upgrade Joker in the offseason, maybe. Maybe we spend a minor asset to upgrade Bryson.

But basically since Jan 1 (give or take), our defensemen haven't really been a consistent issue. Sure one will have a bad game here and there, but by and large......I see a playoff-worthy top 6 right now.

I certainly don't see a need to use a premium asset to acquire a defenseman right now.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Everything I heard Meier is looking at an 8 to 8.5 deal...
One last thought: If the qualifying offer is scaring teams, know that he won’t come much cheaper on an extension. I think the ask on a new contract starts with at least a nine.

LeBrun saying the new deal starts with a 9. And I have every reason to believe him.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
How does everyone feel about Blueger as as offseason target for a botton 6C/faceoff guy. Maybe Girgensons can help recruit a fellow Latvian?
I've been looking at him as well. PK is definitely an area of need and he's good there as well.
Screenshot 2023-01-26 160411.png

Reminder, I believe Girgs is also up after this year.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Or 3 Casey Mittlestadts
You're also preventing any upgrades in the future since he takes the rest of the cap until Skinner's contract is off the books. It makes sense to wait until the core players are done developing before you shoot you one big shot to fill a hole...so you are sure it's still a hole.

I have no problem trading for him -- I'd be pretty dang psyched -- I just don't think I'd do it if I was the GM.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm still ok with it.

Dahlin @ 10
Meier @ 9
Skinner @ 9
Cozens @ 7-8
Tage @ 7.2
Tuch @ 4.5
Sammy @ 4.3

That's $52 million tied up in 7 guys....and that's BEFORE a Power extension. Gotta also figure that whoever our other top 4 defenseman is (Joker, Johnson, someone not yet here) will get at least in the 4-5-6 range.

So ostensibly, you're probably looking at 60-65 million tied up in 5 forwards and 4 defensemen. So that's leaving about 30 million to spend on 9 forwards, 3 D and 2 goalies.

Bridging Power, Quinn, Peterka and Krebs kind of kicks the can a little down the line.........but ooof.

It's a real hard sell for me to bring in a guy "off the streets" and throw ~9M per year at him, especially when we've got a whole bunch of big contracts coming.

I think this is a case of "We probably CAN, but SHOULD we?". And I don't know. It's a real close one for me.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I don't see a "glaring" hole on defense right now. Sure, maybe we could upgrade Joker in the offseason, maybe. Maybe we spend a minor asset to upgrade Bryson.

But basically since Jan 1 (give or take), our defensemen haven't really been a consistent issue. Sure one will have a bad game here and there, but by and large......I see a playoff-worthy top 6 right now.

I certainly don't see a need to use a premium asset to acquire a defenseman right now.
Since Jan 1, we are giving up 3.5 goals per game. If that was the whole season, we'd rank 29th out of 32 teams. And that's the good part of the season. We're also bad on the PK. Not all of that is D, sure, but not sure how anyone can argue that we don't need better dmen, while also arguing we need help on the wings.

We are currently tied for the lead in goal scoring for the season.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Interesting! I guess patience is out the door now that we are in 9th place.

Maybe we can acquire Robin Lehner for a first in the offseason. I mean the '24 first, because the '23 first has already been spent.
Where is patience thrown out the window? If your being patient, what is it for? Which prospect are you "sure" will be as good as Meier, and how long till they get there? Meier is at least the ceiling or better than any of our prospects currently have. It's a guaranteed known. Mier 26, Thompson 25, Tuch 26....WoW.

Our prospect pool 3-4 years minimum from making a real impact, but the new core we built is ready.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Since Jan 1, we are giving up 3.5 goals per game. If that was the whole season, we'd rank 29th out of 32 teams. And that's the good part of the season. We're also bad on the PK. Not all of that is D, sure, but not sure how anyone can argue that we don't need better dmen, while also arguing we need help on the wings.

We are currently tied for the lead in goal scoring for the season.

From where I sit, we don't need outside help to improve the defense. It's ALL on our forwards. If our forwards play better defense (and yes, you CAN play better defense while the offense doesn't suffer).......then EVERYTHING starts to look better.

It all starts with our forwards' ability to buy-in and actually play defense in front of and with our defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad