Roster speculation XVIII - We're getting closer to things happening!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Vats is a one trick pony.... this is a pretty standard contract..not sure why you'd expect it to be more.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Gotta believe Fowler will be the guy moved. Honestly I like Vatanen better but nothing can be done about that.

I just wonder how negotiations are going with Lindholm. Gotta figure... Guys like Girgensons and Larsson totally fit the bill of a Carlyle type team, and they're cost controlled assets for a while longer.

If it's 4yrs, $4.8M for Sami, Lindholm will easily deserve 6x6.

Last edited:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
The reason Clb would trade Murray or any D-man is because they need a #1C. I actually posted Reinhart and #8 for Werenski and #3, and didn't catch flak for it (actually got a prop).

Now I'm not promoting a Reinhart trade, because I know how sacrilegious that is for some, but the scenario plays out well for Buffalo depending on what you think of Puljujarvi. Werenski/Murray fills an obvious hole, while Puljujarvi might not be a huge drop off from Reinhart. Each team fills a void, while taking a small risk that the replacement they get in the draft (Pulju for Reinhart, Juolevi/Chychrun/Serg for Werenski/Murray) is not a big drop off.

I'm torn on the concept, but I'd feel better if Werenski came back.

Hypothetically, if the Sabres could land Stamkos then I would make that deal easily. Trade for Stamkos rights and sign him before the draft then make this deal at the draft. Pulj/Murray addresses both team needs, offensive winger and number 1pairing LHD while Stammer replaces Reinhart's offensive role.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Conversations here seemed to point to a similar deal to Risto.

Risto and Vats are in different situations. One is coming off his ELC ... the other is coming off a bridge deal. Sign Risto to a 2 year bridge deal and see what that # would be in 2 years.

Risto will be over 5 anyways.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I know what you meant, but Vatanen is a pretty standard offensive defenseman with some developmental headroom to go. Marc-Andre Bergeron was a one-trick pony.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Some team will be stupid and take Stoner off their hands for a pick. Despers could actually end up being the odd man out there which was the one scenario no one talked about.

As for Vatanen he's had tremendous leaps in his game every year since being drafted. I thought Anaheim would actually sell high on him.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
What say the number crunchers? Can Anaheim afford to keep all 3 defensemen? Carlyle was just pumping fowlers tires a lot in the presser. Can they shed a bad deal and make it work? Or might we get our shot at offersheeting lindholm?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
What say the number crunchers? Can Anaheim afford to keep all 3 defensemen? Carlyle was just pumping fowlers tires a lot in the presser. Can they shed a bad deal and make it work? Or might we get our shot at offersheeting lindholm?
They can if they can find a team to take Stoner or Bieksa off their hands. It should be an impossible task but nepotism runs rampant in this league and some GM will probably be willing to help Murray out.

How mad is this board going to be when it's Toronto that bails Anaheim out by taking on Stoner's contract to get Andersen on the cheap?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah.

I'd say Anaheim is in good position where they might not have to move Fowler or Lindholm.

They'll be able to move one of Stoner,Bieska or Despres.

Logic says they shouldnt be able to but ..it'll happen.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah.

I'd say Anaheim is in good position where they might not have to move Fowler or Lindholm.

No chance they get a taker on Bieksa. His NMC is gonna be a non-starter with expansion coming.
Stoner, maybe, but they'd have to give up quality a prospect/pick/young player to make it happen, if the Bickell and Savard trades tell us anything about the market for cap dumps.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
it's going to be the new "cap floor" argument we heard from many before the 14/15 season.

We're more than likely going to lose a solid player via expansion. But that's what the NHL wants. Moving along now.

Doubt Tim is thinking this way. GMs no doubt will scheming with the expansion in mind. Defense will be a struggle around the league and here, Bogo will be an obvious question mark. Dangle him or try to get something for him or protect him.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
They can if they can find a team to take Stoner or Bieksa off their hands. It should be an impossible task but nepotism runs rampant in this league and some GM will probably be willing to help Murray out.

How mad is this board going to be when it's Toronto that bails Anaheim out by taking on Stoner's contract to get Andersen on the cheap?

I think teams are overestimating how many clubs will take on dumps this off-season, especially with the expansion draft coming, knowing they will probably lose an actual good player.

The only teams that are really in a situation to do this (reach the floor) and take on bad deals, are New Jersey, Carolina and Arizona.

New Jersey already made the deal with Florida.
Carolina already made the deal with Chicago.
Arizona is a possibility, but why would they want to help a division rival like that?

Plus there's better ways to spend your cap dump money than Stoner & Bieksa
-Nash with the Rangers (not a dump per se but an expensive asset)
-Columbus with Hartnell & Tyutin
-Detroit (possibly) with Datsyuk
- Staal and Girardi with the Rangers
- Carle with Tampa Bay
-LA with the Rock of a Dustin Brown contract and Marian Gaborik
-Minnesota with Pominville and Vanek contracts

I feel like dumping contracts is going to cost a lot more than it used to.
Carolina just sent a 2nd & 3rd for a one year dump and a top-6 22yr old forward who can play C,LW,RW with great skill. That's desperation. The contracts these teams were signing players to are really hurting them down the road now.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I wonder if the Ducks are just cost-controlling everyone and then waiting for the market to play out.
I imagine they're waiting until the draft to see what plan they have to go with. I'd imagine plan A is calling every team at the draft about Stoner or a package of Stoner and Andersen. Plan B is seeing what they can get for Fowler before the 1st round is over. Plan C is selling off any other spare parts on day 2 of the draft. And Plan D is scrambling to get Lindholm signed before July.

I think getting Vatanen signed before the draft was a smart move.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Yeah.

That's exactly how I'm feeling.

I think it's time to move on from fowler and focus on other targets. Someone is taking a contract from them to get Andersen. And I guarantee it's the leafs

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
No chance they get a taker on Bieksa. His NMC is gonna be a non-starter with expansion coming.
Stoner, maybe, but they'd have to give up quality a prospect/pick/young player to make it happen, if the Bickell and Savard trades tell us anything about the market for cap dumps.

Add to the fact Stoner has a year longer than Bickell as well. Would Anaheim ship Rakell with Stoner in exchange for a 2nd and 3rd? They already have issues at forward as is.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I know wanting to have offense is a crime around here...but we really need offense.

Offense - Entails BOTH Forwards and Defense.

Forwards are used to get in on the forecheck, and are the primary source for shots. They are used to cycle the puck down low to get defenseman and the center moving where the forwards want them to. The more often you play in the offensive zone, the more you play down low and get shots on net the better. They are also key in finding holes in zone play from the defensive zone. They are important is causing teams doing things they don't want to do.

Defensemen are used as the primary source for the transition game. They get the puck up to the forwards, or are used to dump the puck in the zone for the forwards to forecheck. They are also used to keep puck possession in the offensive zone alive. They are the key outlets when forwards can't get the puck to the net, when they need to open up the blockade that the game leans towards today in the defensive zones. They keep the play alive in the offensive zone. When a team wants to clear the zone and rip the puck around the boards, the defensemen are needed to keep the puck in and continue the pressure, which leads to tired players, which will lead to breakdowns in coverage, or at least guys not being more aggressive on the forwards, and even more puck possession.

Right now we have forwards who can work the forecheck game and cycle the puck:
Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Girgensons, Kane, Larsson, Foligno.

We need to improve upon our backend. Our defensemen had trouble in the transition game, when we did finally get on the offensive, our forwards and defensemen were too tired to create any pressure. We need to be better in chasing down the pucks that are dumped in, we need to be quicker reading the situation and making the correct read to head-man it to a forward to immediately put pressure on the other team, or pass to their partner. Also, Too many times the puck left the zone in the offensive zone because our defensemen were too slow to read the game and/or too slow to close off the point to continue.

We're not saying not to improve on the forwards at all, we're just saying that the state of the defense needs to be looked at immediately. Whether that happens via draft or free agency, it needs to be done.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
No Stamkos...too much
No Okposo...too much
Draft a D no matter what at 8 because need
Trade next year's first for a proven D too

We must throw every asset at D. Welcome back to the top 6 with one injury Brian Gionta.

People here would rather have McCabe in the press box than a competent forward on the wing of the most important player on the franchise. Because need. Which isn't even what they make it out to be.

Cant wait for that bottom pairing down the line of Guhle and Bogosian while Eichel's tap ins go wide off of Deslauriers stick.

I mean...that's how Pitt won right? Concentrating on D and not offensive talent. la famously has two cups because their bottom 4 D is made up of top talent and not because their forwards are possession monsters. Chicago has a ton going on after that top pair right?

But we know better.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bob Murray just did an interview...

Snippets from that courtesy of Anaheim board..

-wants to acquire more picks
-identified center as to what is needed in the system
-carlyle brings "accountability" "great bench coach"
-identifies left hand shot LW as something he really wants "high on priority list"
- we have "alot of defensemen" and something will have to happen in goal due to expansion since one of them would for sure be picked. Without saying it he said one will be traded

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
No Stamkos...too much
No Okposo...too much

We must throw every asset at D. Welcome back to the top 6 with one injury Brian Gionta.

People here would rather have McCabe in the press box than a competent forward on the wing of the most important player on the franchise. Because need. Which isn't even what they make it out to be.

Cant wait for that bottom pairing down the line of Guhle and Bogosian while Eichel's tap ins go wide off of Deslauriers stick.

I mean...that's how Pitt won right? Concentrating on D and not offensive talent. la famously has two cups because their bottom 4 D is made up of top talent and not because their forwards are possession monsters. Chicago has a ton going on after that top pair right?

But we know better.

Chicago has 3 defensemen better than anyone on our blueline...

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
No Stamkos...too much
No Okposo...too much

But we know better.

No cuz Gionta needs to be 4th line with Girgs and Ennis cuz goalz is winz and only FWs score goalz so FWs equalz winz. Dmen only stand around next to goalie anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad