Roster Speculation part XXII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Girgs offensive struggles were a due in large part to a drop off in confidence in a reduced role. He needs to learn how to produce in that reduced role because thats what he will be going forward. Yes Disco moved him around and that didn't help at times. But much of it was others getting the minutes he got before and thats not changing nor should it. He had a tough time adjusting to his new reality.

EDIT: I should clarify that he had a tough time adjusting offensively. Defensively he was solid.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Girgs has no puck control. He has no business being on a talent line. He is a 3/4 C/W that should be taking heavy PK minutes (assuming the coaches stop playing old people there).

Gionta+Reinhart would be a painfully slow line. Don't put those two together.

ROR made Des look like a competent forward. He sure as hell can make up for a streaky LW. A streaky RW too (Okposo). He is our best player to do so.

I swear you're all trolling

I'm not following why that would be a painfully slow line. Even at his age, Gionta is one of the faster skaters on the team.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'm not following why that would be a painfully slow line. Even at his age, Gionta is one of the faster skaters on the team.

Yeah, but Reinhart is such a bad skater that he actually has negative speed. He actually, physically, makes those around him slower. Subhuman speed, really. A net negative. It's that bad.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
If Vesey signs, we really don't have "bad top-9 decisions". For example while it seems to be a trend to bash Gionta, he actually was one of our best 5v5 point producer and offense driver. His 5v5 production was 3rd best on this team - superior to ROR for example. Considering his QOC, it was the best on team. He also had less o-zone-starts. His GF/60 was also on par with ROR, being slightly lower (0,06).
1) Gionta was 4/5th sorting by TOI (if you count McGinn), and there's pretty much no way you can say his minutes were more difficult than O'Reilly's with a straight face.

2) The team scored more without Gionta on the ice.

3) He wasn't an effective top six forward and only really settled into a line with two muckers. He and Reinhart aren't built to compensate for each other.

4) The team's ES goal baseline was so bad that it's ES scoring numbers are more random than most.

5) He didn't positively impact possession.

No-one is talking about "three offensive lines". How about four lines, which of three are good lines defensively as well?
That's a bunch of semantics if you're advocating moving a top two ES player to the third line for matchup reasons.

When Detroit "won stuff", they had Kris Draper there on a similar role as where Cullen, Krüger and Glendening have been. There we got the most recent SC winner, and two of the best coaches in the league. I think they know a bit about usage and deployment...
Draper's 54% zone starts aren't comparable to guys on that island. Datsyuk and Zetterberg each took a ton of defensive faceoffs (relatively speaking, giving every regular forward 50+% OZS is something you get to do with D/Z/Lidstrom).

And having a defensive zone line is good business. But you don't need to delegate that unit as your fourth line when it makes your top nine markedly worse at ES.

Oh geez...

Foligno had worse linemates and more difficult minutes, he still produced pretty similarly with Kane on ES. Kane scored 21 points while Foligno 17, while Kane player more than 100 minutes more. Foligno also happened to have the teams best GF/60 on our team among forwards - significantly higher than Kane had.

So Kane<->Foligno most likely won't be anywhere as big as difference offensively (as well) than Reinhart<->Larsson.
Foligno's production has historically been shooting % driven, and like Gionta, he sorts way lower on the difficulty chart when sorting by opponent TOI.

And the reason you play Kane with Larsson and Gionta (or whoever), is because he hasn't really developed chemistry with any top 6 forwards yet. That's also why things like Pens three pronged attack and Sharp-Vermette came to be. Top on paper guys weren't performing efficiently with each other.

This post is laughable. :laugh:

There isn't absolute truths, but there is absolutely no reason to assembly some kind of spare parts line to be our 3rd/4th line when (if we sign Vesey). We have the depth to assemble two two-way lines, one offensive line and one defensive line.
A dude coming off a bunch of concussions, Matt Moulson and whichever of Foligno/Girgensons/Larsson/Gionta/etc fall out of the top 9 (plus X games of Des) are like the definition of spare parts. Why are you giving good players less icetime rather than just plugging better players into the skeleton that ended last year and letting it ride?

aintgonnabe

Nov 19, 2011
Girgs has no puck control. He has no business being on a talent line. He is a 3/4 C/W that should be taking heavy PK minutes (assuming the coaches stop playing old people there).

I swear you're all trolling

I think he was pretty good the season before, and I am pretty sure, he showed some puck control at times too, especially when he left PK and others for dead (granted PK is no beast on D, but nevertheless). So what, because of last year, those skills are gone and buried? With a bit of confidence he will reach those 30 pts and surpass them, no question. If you know anything about his character, you will know that he will come back stronger after last year. People like him, will always be their own biggest critics, and he damn well knows it was a poor year for him.

As for his capability on being on ''talent'' line.

You do realize someone has to work and have some grit on a talent line as well? There needs to be a balance for the top line to work, because they will play against top D's from opposition. If you do some research you will see, that there have been skaters with far less hockey ability on top lines (1-2) before. He has enough skill and hockey sense to be that ''worker'' on a scoring line, again no question there. I am not even talking about top line here, he could be effective on 2nd as well, in a similar role.

Nothing personal against you, but if you are going to come out with bull like that, at least do some basic research. Some of the guys already mentioned his 5vs5 stats and how he played with Eichel for example, and that was on his worst season! Think about that for a while. ;)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think he was pretty good the season before, and I am pretty sure, he showed some puck control at times too, especially when he left PK and others for dead (granted PK is no beast on D, but nevertheless). So what, because of last year, those skills are gone and buried? With a bit of confidence he will reach those 30 pts and surpass them, no question. If you know anything about his character, you will know that he will come back stronger after last year. People like him, will always be their own biggest critics, and he damn well knows it was a poor year for him.

As for his capability on being on ''talent'' line.

You do realize someone has to work and have some grit on a talent line as well? There needs to be a balance for the top line to work, because they will play against top D's from opposition. If you do some research you will see, that there have been skaters with far less hockey ability on top lines (1-2) before. He has enough skill and hockey sense to be that ''worker'' on a scoring line, again no question there. I am not even talking about top line here, he could be effective on 2nd as well, in a similar role.

Nothing personal against you, but if you are going to come out with bull like that, at least do some basic research. Some of the guys already mentioned his 5vs5 stats and how he played with Eichel for example, and that was on his worst season! Think about that for a while. ;)

Golf clap!

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
DC, I've always meant to ask, are you some type of sports or collective bargaining attorney? Or just a very useful superfan?
Just an amateur with too much free time.

I wonder... if cap overages due to performance bonuses can reduce our cap for next year, is there ever a situation where using cap space for potential bonus that are unearned can increase next season's cap?
No. But do keep in mind that as performance bonuses become unearnable, a team can gain cap space during the course of a season. But unused cap space cannot be banked for the following season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Bylsma talked about his pairs last season.

What do people see as the pairs heading into this season?

ROR-Okposo
Eichel-Reinhart
Larsson-Gionta
Girgensons-Ennis

He talked about pairs and didn't really stick to it. Sometimes pairs, sometimes just keeping the centers constant and shuffling the wings around, sometimes he kept lines together and sometimes he did a bit of all of them.

In other words, it's unlikely he sticks to pairs next season.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Girgs offensive struggles were a due in large part to a drop off in confidence in a reduced role. He needs to learn how to produce in that reduced role because thats what he will be going forward. Yes Disco moved him around and that didn't help at times. But much of it was others getting the minutes he got before and thats not changing nor should it. He had a tough time adjusting to his new reality.

EDIT: I should clarify that he had a tough time adjusting offensively. Defensively he was solid.

I dont know if he lacked confidence. He played well, his shooting % dropped a lot. The question is what type of scoring should we expect? He shot the puck at about the same rate considering his drop in ice time. Had his shooting % remained 13% he would have had 14 goals with limited ice time and moving all over the lineup.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I dont know if he lacked confidence. He played well, his shooting % dropped a lot. The question is what type of scoring should we expect? He shot the puck at about the same rate considering his drop in ice time. Had his shooting % remained 13% he would have had 14 goals with limited ice time and moving all over the lineup.

He'll do better with D that can outlet to him so he can get more breakaways.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He said it himself he lacked confidence during the season but was happy with the rest of his game. I'm aware of his shots per game and his shooting% from the last two years.

It is a good question to ask what shooting% will we see next year.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
You knew it was a confidence issue with Girgs when he was trying to Ovechkin shots through screens, even on the power play. His release isn't fast/deceptive enough, nor does he have the power or accuracy to make that a good decision.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
XXX-ROR-Okposo
XXX-Eichel-Reinhart
XXX-Girgensons-Ennis
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

That's the skeleton I would roll with - the XXX's would be filled in by Moulson, Kane and Vesey/one of our prospects.

With Nylander, Fasching, Bailey and Asplund coming into the fold, I'm really liking the short-term and long-term future of our forwards.

Kulikov-Ristolainen
Gorges-Bogosian
McCabe-Nelson/Franson

Just pray Ristolainen solidifies himself as a #1, Kulikov fits in well, and we get post-trade Bogosian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad