Roster Speculation Part XI...$teven $tamko$?? Pony up for PK?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Edmonton was in the same position earlier in the season when Seth Jones was available and wouldn't beat Columbus' offer, even if they easily could have. Obviously Subban is on a different level, but still.

Until Edmonton actually moves one of the pieces they could have so obviously moved countless times now to improve their roster, I see them standing pat on their garbage team

Yeah, my guess is NSH wanted a little something on top of Nuge or were never truly interested. Then they apparently had the better offer for Hamilton if I remember correctly, but that didn't happen either.

Murray's had no problems tossing in that extra piece to get what he wants.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Couple of Anaheim scouts at tonight's game. I know we play them in the west coast road trip, but they've had scouts at Sabres games a great deal since the new year.

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Would love to snag Subban. One of my favorite D's playing today. But being within the same division raises his price too much for me to feel comfortable with. I don't think Montreal's needs are something that is going to be expendable for us.

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland
Would love to snag Subban. One of my favorite D's playing today. But being within the same division raises his price too much for me to feel comfortable with. I don't think Montreal's needs are something that is going to be expendable for us.

Montreal would want a Darcy type return. We don't have enough, I think, to pull that off. We need to keep our pipeline fed. It's a dream. A good one at that

SamsonReinFart

Mar 15, 2011
Buffalo, NY
They can, if they want to be traded. It's a video game world where you sign a superstar with the intention of trading him in two years. Why do we even need him for 2 years?

Again, I don't expect to sign him or anything. But to answer your question, you sign him to go all-in while Eichel and Reinhart are on ELCs. Don't quote me on this, but I believe both Pittsburgh and Chicago won with their elite young talent on their ELCs.

I'm not saying that's the only way to win a cup, but it's a heck of a lot easier to build a contender when 2 of your best players have cap hits way below their value. And I expect both of them to be extremely good in the next 2 years.

Stamkos plus some good left handed D makes this team a contender (in my eyes) for next season and the season after.

Again, I understand Stamkos almost assuredly isn't coming here and that a NMC makes him hard to deal. I would try anyway. Front load his cap as much as possible. Some team that Stamkos would waive for would probably offer a good amount for 5 years of Stamkos not making as much salary as his cap hit. Especially if he was just part of a team making playoff runs :D

One can dream I guess.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Eichel and Reinhart will be on their ELCs for two whole seasons out of a hypothetical 7 year Stamkos contract. Can't believe people are so scared about the contract of status of two players under team control for a minimum of FOUR more seasons at the very least after their ELC is up. The cap isn't going to stay stagnsnt for 5 years. Moulsons deal is only running for one season total during Eichel and Reinharts new deals. Gionta and Gorges deals will be gone. Kane's expires when Jack and Sams ELCs do too.

There is literally a dozen different ways to slash major cap room to fit Stamkos in AND give big $ extensions to our studs. Kane is not needed if we are adding Stamkos. Honestly, you want to know the easiest way to fit in Stamkos?

Out:
Kane - $5.25 mil
Gionta - $4.25 mil

In:
Stamkos - $11 mil
Bailey - ELC

And let's not forget we have almost $10 mil in cap space as it is. Stamkos is going to provide about double the goals Kane will. Chicago and La have their core, this should be ours...

Stamkos - $11 mil
RoR - $ 7.5 mil
Eichel - $7.5 mil
Reinhart - $5 mil
Risto - $7 mil

That's our core 5 and that will be about $38 mil give or take a few mil in either direction. This team can easily add Stamkos, extend Risto, Eichel and Sam long term for big $$ and still have major flexibility. The Sabres have three players who combine for $15 mil in cap space who are all decent players with good trade value in Kane, Bogo and Ennis. All 3 are not untouchable and can be moved to create space.

I have zero worries about adding Stamkos. He can easily be fit into our cap and if there is a chance of signing him you do whatever it takes. I'm willing to give him 7/84 if it means Stamkos is a Sabre. He is going to be a whopping 33 years of age when his deal expires. For all we know he is likely still a 30-35 goal scorer at 33, so even in the last year or two of his deal he will still be a valuable contributor.

The thought that the team will be in major cap hell in two years after signing Stamkos and that if he isn't moved we will lose Eichel is the most laughable thing I have seen regarding our salary cap. You think Chicago is worrying about their cap after giving matching 10.5 mil per deals out to Kane and Toews? No. You pay your elite players elite money. Good luck finding a 40-50 goal scorer outside of us having a miracle lottery win this year because hate to break it to you but our cupboard is COMPLETELY EMPTY. We have ZERO trade chips outside of our own draft picks, and that's due to Murray spending like a 16 year old with daddy's credit card for the first time.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
If Stamkos is there July 1st, you pursue him.
He would certainly elevate the offensive numbers of those on his line, contribute to the offense more than enough and give Eichel or Reinhart some real space. The object is to win Stanley Cups, pay him his 10/11 million a season. We'll look at the cap situation 5 years from now.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Lol what is the point of signing Stamkos for 2 years, if you plan on trading him?

Rather overpay for his final peak years & then be off the hook. 3 years of Stamkos, that gives everyone time to get better in the Bylsma era and fits the timeframe for the reboot.

Stamkos isn't think retirement contract yet. 3 years at 11 or 12 and then another, larger 7 year payday from somebody else might be appealing to him. I don't want to risk big money on a 32 year old Stamkos.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Rather overpay for his final peak years & then be off the hook. 3 years of Stamkos, that gives everyone time to get better in the Bylsma era and fits the timeframe for the reboot.

Stamkos isn't think retirement contract yet. 3 years at 11 or 12 and then another, larger 7 year payday from somebody else might be appealing to him. I don't want to risk big money on a 32 year old Stamkos.

Stamkos is not signing a 3 year deal. It's just not happening.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara

Stamkos aint signing for 3, hes signing for 7... And he sure as hell aint signing here just to be traded in 2 years lol.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Stamkos is not signing a 3 year deal. It's just not happening.

Stamkos aint signing for 3, hes signing for 7... And he sure as hell aint signing here just to be traded in 2 years lol.

Agreed.
With Stammer, your all in. If you sign him this off season, it's more than likely 7 years. He's 26 now, he'll be 33 at the end of that 7 years.
Money is the concern, specifically AAV. So lets go on the 11 mil at 7 year premise. 77 million over 7 years, 11 mil AAV. In that 7 years Eichel and Reinhart enter their 22 to 26 year old early prime years. Let's deduce for a moment that we are at least cup competitive for 4 of those years, we then endure a year or 2 of the final Parr of that contract and can fast track retool for Sam and Jack's prime years.

8, maybe 10 cup competitive seasons out of what? 12, 14 seasons? Can you say YES PLEASE? And how fast can you say it.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
There is literally a dozen different ways to slash major cap room to fit Stamkos in AND give big $ extensions to our studs

That isn't the major concern.

The major concern is that we need a build a team around them. Specifically, we need defense. Badly.

Teams that rely on a spectacular offense do great in the regular season but fizzle out with regularity in the playoffs. The teams that win the Cup are teams that prevent goals better than they score them. Look at Chicago and LA -- they can score just fine....but when they need to make a stop, they do.

Right now, the team you're trying to build would likely be a top 5 GF machine. Problem is, that team has Risto and a whole bunch of not much else on D.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
That isn't the major concern.

The major concern is that we need a build a team around them. Specifically, we need defense. Badly.

Teams that rely on a spectacular offense do great in the regular season but fizzle out with regularity in the playoffs. The teams that win the Cup are teams that prevent goals better than they score them. Look at Chicago and LA -- they can score just fine....but when they need to make a stop, they do.

Right now, the team you're trying to build would likely be a top 5 GF machine. Problem is, that team has Risto and a whole bunch of not much else on D.

This is true as well. Defense should be addressed without question. But I don't believe that puts us out of the mix for Stamkos.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is true as well. Defense should be addressed without question. But I don't believe that puts us out of the mix for Stamkos.

If the option is between landing two quality, top-4 defensemen on contracts around $4.5-5.5M million per year or paying $11M for Stamkos? Easily, invest in the defensemen. Stammer is a luxury, not a necessity.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Eichel and Reinhart will be on their ELCs for two whole seasons out of a hypothetical 7 year Stamkos contract. Can't believe people are so scared about the contract of status of two players under team control for a minimum of FOUR more seasons at the very least after their ELC is up. The cap isn't going to stay stagnsnt for 5 years. Moulsons deal is only running for one season total during Eichel and Reinharts new deals. Gionta and Gorges deals will be gone. Kane's expires when Jack and Sams ELCs do too.

There is literally a dozen different ways to slash major cap room to fit Stamkos in AND give big $ extensions to our studs. Kane is not needed if we are adding Stamkos. Honestly, you want to know the easiest way to fit in Stamkos?

Out:
Kane - $5.25 mil
Gionta - $4.25 mil

In:
Stamkos - $11 mil
Bailey - ELC

And let's not forget we have almost $10 mil in cap space as it is. Stamkos is going to provide about double the goals Kane will. Chicago and La have their core, this should be ours...

Stamkos - $11 mil
RoR - $ 7.5 mil
Eichel - $7.5 mil
Reinhart - $5 mil
Risto - $7 mil

That's our core 5 and that will be about $38 mil give or take a few mil in either direction. This team can easily add Stamkos, extend Risto, Eichel and Sam long term for big $$ and still have major flexibility. The Sabres have three players who combine for $15 mil in cap space who are all decent players with good trade value in Kane, Bogo and Ennis. All 3 are not untouchable and can be moved to create space.

I have zero worries about adding Stamkos. He can easily be fit into our cap and if there is a chance of signing him you do whatever it takes. I'm willing to give him 7/84 if it means Stamkos is a Sabre. He is going to be a whopping 33 years of age when his deal expires. For all we know he is likely still a 30-35 goal scorer at 33, so even in the last year or two of his deal he will still be a valuable contributor.

The thought that the team will be in major cap hell in two years after signing Stamkos and that if he isn't moved we will lose Eichel is the most laughable thing I have seen regarding our salary cap. You think Chicago is worrying about their cap after giving matching 10.5 mil per deals out to Kane and Toews? No. You pay your elite players elite money. Good luck finding a 40-50 goal scorer outside of us having a miracle lottery win this year because hate to break it to you but our cupboard is COMPLETELY EMPTY. We have ZERO trade chips outside of our own draft picks, and that's due to Murray spending like a 16 year old with daddy's credit card for the first time.

Ok relax pal, the discussion started because the poster made a lineup that had both Stamkos AND Subban. In that scenario we would have no way of signing both Jack and Sam. Your entire post was unneccesary, if you just read through the thread more carefully.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
If the option is between landing two quality, top-4 defensemen on contracts around $4.5-5.5M million per year or paying $11M for Stamkos? Easily, invest in the defensemen. Stammer is a luxury, not a necessity.

I tend to agree Chain.
The only subject matter not addressed in these conversations has been our pipe line. Not so much the defensive side as I can't see the team knowing what we have there for several years yet. But the offensive side is the conversation I'd like to explore.

Here's my deductions early on.
1. Girgs is not the fit the organization is looking for with Eichel if we want him to be truly dynamic. That being said, who looks to be a potential in the pipe line?
2. If ROR and Reinhart appear a good fit, I can't see ROR going to wing given his FO capabilities, that LW looks open though.
3. The 3rd line. With all of this youth inbound, some is sure to stick. Does that make Girgs or Larsson expendable?

Just some thoughts, but the main one is on Eichel, how is going to put him up on the next level offensively?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad