Roster Speculation Part XI...$teven $tamko$?? Pony up for PK?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Foligno on the other hand is defensively sound, can contribute on the PK and can play on a scoring line in short bursts if needed. And when he's on his game, even if he's not scoring he can affect a game.

I wouldn't say he's stellar defensively, but he's passable. Certainly much better than McGinn.

When neither are on their game, they're almost the same player.

Agree. Both are 20-30 point (depending on there they are slotted in the lineup) big bodied wingers with limited offensive upside.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
2003 was the last time you saw a trade like that. The funny thing is that Florida traded back from 1 to 3 in 2003 and 2002.

It's highly unlikely that Murray makes a deal like that if the Sabres win the lottery.

I agree, but TM isn't like most GM's. If the right deal comes there's not doubt in my mind TM would pull the trigger if it meant a big time LHD coming back. The poster asked if it was possible the pick be traded. Yes I think its definitely possible with the depth in this draft, even if it is unlikely. We're not dealing with Darcy Regeir anymore

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree, but TM isn't like most GM's. If the right deal comes there's not doubt in my mind TM would pull the trigger if it meant a big time LHD coming back. The poster asked if it was possible the pick be traded. Yes I think its definitely possible with the depth in this draft, even if it is unlikely. We're not dealing with Darcy Regeir anymore

I doubt a team is willing to give up the type of LHD it would take to pry the pick from Murray.

He would want a stupid overpayment.

Edmonton wouldn't give up Nurse to trade up.

Toronto isn't giving up Rielly.

C'Bus doesn't have a LHD that is worth trading for unless you think Murray would make massive leaps in his game.

Calgary isn't giving up Brodie.

Then you get into Enstrom and the Jets 1st if Enstrom would waive his NMC to come to Buffalo. That might be an interesting debate...

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Then you get into Enstrom and the Jets 1st if Enstrom would waive his NMC to come to Buffalo. That might be an interesting debate...

Enstrom isn't an elite PMD anymore...all he brings to the table for us is an ability to play the left side effectively. Franson is throwing up more points than Enstrom is, but he's a total defensive liability.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I still think Kris Russell solves a lot of problems for us at once and would be an excellent trade target that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Enstrom isn't an elite PMD anymore...all he brings to the table for us is an ability to play the left side effectively. Franson is throwing up more points than Enstrom is, but he's a total defensive liability.

because points.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I still think Kris Russell solves a lot of problems for us at once and would be an excellent trade target that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

Huh?

http://www.tsn.ca/flames-russell-is-not-a-shutdown-defenceman-1.436533

I was fascinated by one point in particular regarding Calgary Flames defenceman Kris Russell. Among other things, McKenzie noted that it was more than within the realm of possibility that Russell could be staring down the barrel of a five-year, $5-million AAV deal. McKenzie noted that this sort of deal would be similar to what players like Edmonton’s Andrej Sekera, Minnesota’s Jared Spurgeon, and Montreal’s Jeff Petry received in their respective deals.

I genuinely do believe that Russell is going to be paid this off-season, be it from Calgary or another team in the market for what they perceive to be a shutdown defenceman.

I just think it’s a waste of money.

The perception of Russell as a lockdown defender is a textbook example of ignoring how hockey has evolved. There is little doubt in my mind that players cut from Russell’s cloth had very real value in the yesteryear of hockey, where having a fearless shot blocker and general physical presence on the blueline was a necessity.

--------------------------------------

You’re left to ask one question: What exactly does he bring to your team, and how does that translate into bunches of wins in the standings? I don’t have a good answer to that question. I doubt many do.

Can Russell play for my team? On a third-pairing in a well-defined role, almost certainly. Can he play for my team on a $25-million contract that almost guarantees he’ll be seeing top-four minutes? No. Not even close.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I meant that he wouldn't require very much to acquire in trade, not that he wouldn't cost very much in actual dollars. I also didn't realize he's UFA this summer, which makes me want to trade anything for him much less.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I meant that he wouldn't require very much to acquire in trade, not that he wouldn't cost very much in actual dollars. I also didn't realize he's UFA this summer, which makes me want to trade anything for him much less.

Russell = Gorges

He doesn't solve any problems for the Sabres.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Russell = Gorges

He doesn't solve any problems for the Sabres.

I think he could pretty easily be Lydman in so many ways for the rebuild. Veteran LDH, defensively responsible, great shot-blocker, decent enough puck moving skills but better suited to be paired with an offensive RHD. Perfect second-pairing guy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think he could pretty easily be Lydman in so many ways for the rebuild. Veteran LDH, defensively responsible, great shot-blocker, decent enough puck moving skills but better suited to be paired with an offensive RHD. Perfect second-pairing guy.

I would agree with Yost:

You’re left to ask one question: What exactly does he bring to your team, and how does that translate into bunches of wins in the standings? I don’t have a good answer to that question. I doubt many do.

Can Russell play for my team? On a third-pairing in a well-defined role, almost certainly. Can he play for my team on a $25-million contract that almost guarantees he’ll be seeing top-four minutes? No. Not even close.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Anyone want to compile a LHD "master list"

Of the notable teams with deep LHD:

Anaheim:

Fowler (24)
Lindholm (22) (RFA)
Theodore (20)
Despres (24)
Stoner (30)

Needs: Offense, potential cap issue(s) in the summer

Dallas:

Goligoski (30) (UFA)
Oduya (34)
Nemeth (24)
Jokipakka (24)
Oleksiak (23)
Lindell (21)

Needs: Bottom 6F

St Louis:

Bouwmeester (32)
Gunnarsson (29) (UFA)
Edmundson (22)
Dunn (19)
Lindbohm (22)

Pittsburgh:

Maata (21) (RFA)
Daley (32)
Cole (26)
Pouliot (22)
Dumolin (24)

Needs: Cap Space, Depth players

Detroit:

Kronwall (35)
Ericsson (31)
Quincey (30) (UFA)
Smith (27)
Kindl (29)
Dekeyser (27)
Ouellet (22)

Need: RHD

Feel free to add more team/players, comment, or point out missing guys.

Big ups on putting in the work here! :yo:

Theodore
Despres
Pouliot
Dunn
Oleksiak

Those five are the five I covet most from that list that I feel are also attainable.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
i wonder if Murray has brought something like 2yrs/$8m to McGinn & his agent. They'd still be taking a risk that somebody would offer him more July 1. As we've seen and has been brought up around here, there are always going to be 'value' vets ala Stempniak GM's might prefer to go after. Taking that guaranteed money and hitting UFA again in 2 years might actually be in his best interest vs rolling the dice 7/1. I dont think its a slam dunk somebody will offer him 4/16, although I guess it only takes 1 GM to go there.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
another off the beaten path 'young' LHD could be Klas Dahlbeck from Arizona. I went to the AZ board last week to inquire. Some really like him, think he's been their 2nd best LHD, others think he'll be a safe 5-6 going forward. Good size, good shot, solid puck moving ability, seems like theres some Tallinder to his game, although I dont think he's quite as good of a skater.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I think all we really need D wise is a partner for Ristolainen. Makes everyone else better.

xxxx - Ristolainen
Gorges - Pysyk
McCabe - Bogosian

I think a veteran would be best. I'm starting to like the Enstrom idea.

I would love to upgrade Gorges with a younger LHD also, could be Chychrun or Juolevi.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Anyone want to compile a LHD "master list"

Of the notable teams with deep LHD:

Anaheim:

Fowler (24)
Lindholm (22) (RFA)
Theodore (20)
Despres (24)
Stoner (30)

Needs: Offense, potential cap issue(s) in the summer

I feel 1 of those can be gotten after the season

Dallas:

Goligoski (30) (UFA)
Oduya (34)
Nemeth (24)
Jokipakka (24)
Oleksiak (23)
Lindell (21)

Needs: Bottom 6F

unsure what it would cost to get those players.

St Louis:

Bouwmeester (32)
Gunnarsson (29) (UFA)
Edmundson (22)
Dunn (19)
Lindbohm (22)

Unsure what their price will be.

Pittsburgh:

Maata (21) (RFA)
Daley (32)
Cole (26)
Pouliot (22)
Dumolin (24)

Needs: Cap Space, Depth players

The only target would be Pouliot---doubt they move him.

Detroit:

Kronwall (35)
Ericsson (31)
Quincey (30) (UFA)
Smith (27)
Kindl (29)
Dekeyser (27)
Ouellet (22)

Need: RHD
I dont see Detroit moving Ouellet

Feel free to add more team/players, comment, or point out missing guys.

I'd like to go out and acquire 2 of them.

Neither

Kane
Girgensons
Moulson
Deslauriers

All are LWers ATM. If you are talking "independent of age, cost, and contract status", I'd probably go with McGinn as he's a little more versatile and consistent.

However, given Foligno's age, RFA status, and lesser cost, I'd go with Foligno IF we were keeping one.

the other option is you keep both then does that mean Des is gome?

In terms of scoring ability I think both are similar. Foligno has more flexibility with lines. You could probably keep McGinn for 2 yrs while Foligno you need to sign for 4 years (How much??).

If they were to sign McGinn for 2 yrs then after the 2 you likely see ROR move to LW, Kane/Girgensons is another LW, then that 3rd LW slot---do you want Foligno to block the future kids in the system?

Complicating further is if they were to draft a LW with their top pick.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm still hoping this whole "Gorges on the 1st pairing" thing was a Gillis-esque ploy pump hi value and make a playoff team believe he's a top-4 LHD with grit and playoff experience.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

The only point that baffles me is the physical part. Since when is Kris Russell physical? He's a mobile, shot blocker, and you could argue that his defensive issues are as much about scheme as they are about his skill set.

The guy had 30 assists last year and 7 points in 11 playoff games.

In reading this article, I feel like Travis Yost has no idea who Kris Russell is, or that he's spent much of this year covering for Dougie Hamilton, who is starting to make Don Sweeney look like a fricken genius.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Thoughts on Nathan B from Habs? Seems like they are looking at options for him. Young left handed D in the age range we would be looking for? Ennis+ 2nd rounder for him?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think all we really need D wise is a partner for Ristolainen. Makes everyone else better.

xxxx - Ristolainen
Gorges - Pysyk
McCabe - Bogosian

I would love to upgrade Gorges with a younger LHD also, could be Chychrun or Juolevi.

Except Georges is in your top 4 and McCabe-Bogosian has been a consistent tire-fire this year..

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

xxxx - Ristolainen
Gorges - Pysyk
McCabe - Bogosian

Not necessarily and I don't agree with this statement.

Just because you slot guys down a lower pairing doesn't mean their poor decisions, terrible skating, and just overall bad play goes away. Does it help them when it's matchups vs other lines, yes, but in terms of actual hockey play, it doesn't "fix" players. They still have those limitations, regardless how well the other player covers up for them, and when away from that partner those limitations are usually magnified again.

IMO, There's maybe two guys who I want on the backend when we are contending; Pysyk & Risto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad